Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Diet Crack posted:

So much whinging for a game that is still clearly (and well stated) in development.

The problem isn't the state of alpha/beta, it's their finances. Doing another stretch goal sounds suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I forgot I had backed this during my Kickstarter addiction problems, and uh, they made Neverwinter Nights 1 into an MMO. :confuoot:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This game really oozes Lord British.. uh, figuratively. You can tell this is an Ultima game. I'm really impressed by the town that is basically nothing but housing plots. If this game really has a community focus, towns like Ardoris could be amazing.

I found an easter egg too!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Nurel posted:

I decided not to donate when I saw the pledged amount skyrocket to 450k within a few days. May I remind you that the initial goal of British was to raise just 1 million to create this game.

Now he's asking for 500k just to make rowboats and pointy ear models and llamas?

Too bad that old bitch is following the example of star citizen

Star citizen. I am so much looking forward to its release. This game will undoubtedly become a goon playground once its out.

Ridiculing this mess on the one hand but dreaming about Star Citizen goodness on the other hand is a bit of a conundrum, isn't it ?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Node posted:

This game really oozes Lord British.. uh, figuratively. You can tell this is an Ultima game. I'm really impressed by the town that is basically nothing but housing plots. If this game really has a community focus, towns like Ardoris could be amazing.

Do those cats explode like in Serpent Isle?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Node posted:

picture me yelling that REALLY LOUDLY
with arm gestures

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
I enjoyed this last test a lot. They're making a pretty nice looking game with Unity, and the deck system is actually starting to grow on me. It gives the combat a little variety and keeps it fairly fast-paced. The biggest bugaboo I see is bad animation. Fix that and a lot of what visibly makes people go "Eugh..." disappears off the bat. What I like most about the game, though, is simply its atmosphere. It has a great community and it seems like it's going to be integral to the game's success in the future. Another thing I'm looking forward to is the huge amount of skills and the skill system itself. Overall, the game has a lot of work to do, but I actually see myself really enjoying this once it's released.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Seems like Garriot is willing to accept Bitcoins for pledges now.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/32655/Update-93-Q4-Release-Schedule-Now-Accepting-Bitcoin

:downs:
This can only end well..

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Lum_ posted:

picture me yelling that REALLY LOUDLY
with arm gestures

I'm a bit behind on things so pardon me here. Lum the Mad, seriously?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Node posted:

Now ask him about taxis and if they lead to victory.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hammerstein posted:

Ridiculing this mess on the one hand but dreaming about Star Citizen goodness on the other hand is a bit of a conundrum, isn't it ?

I'm sorry...apparently the irony should have been more apparent in my angry post.

I despise Star Citizen and the only way I'm joining is to fly with goons and make bad things happen.

I can't say the same for any lord british game though. I just feels so disappoint that he too is scamming us for money.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
So which one of these two games (oth Albion Online) is really the UO 2? There are claims in both threads. Also what's the chance of this going the way of the like last three I WAS LORD BRITISH IN ULTIMA ONLINE BUY THIS GAME I MADE pump and dumps? The request for more cash already begs concern.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Node posted:

I'm a bit behind on things so pardon me here. Lum the Mad, seriously?

Seriously!

iminers posted:

Seems like Garriot is willing to accept Bitcoins for pledges now.

This can only end well..

It's just using a 3rd party processor (Coinbase, I think) and flipping them immediately. Garriott really likes Bitcoins (as anyone following him on Twitter knows) but I prefer being paid in filthy fiat currency like most people.

Already had people complain we don't accept dogecoin though. much sadness very unaccept

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The anger on the forums about the addition of elves is pretty hilarious. Lum, please add some weird undead to stir the pot more.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The anger on the forums about the addition of elves is pretty hilarious. Lum, please add some weird undead to stir the pot more.

It's going to be hard to beat the guy who complained about undead talking because it was unrealistic.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Untagged posted:

So which one of these two games (oth Albion Online) is really the UO 2? There are claims in both threads. Also what's the chance of this going the way of the like last three I WAS LORD BRITISH IN ULTIMA ONLINE BUY THIS GAME I MADE pump and dumps? The request for more cash already begs concern.

This, I think, has the UO 'vibe' about it; the atmosphere and community make it fun to simply hang out and talk to people and enjoy the game world. It feels more like UO because interaction outside of grinding is a normal thing. Every release I've played, I've had a conversation with at least one other friendly person. It's a nice change to feel like you're in a world where people are people and not pixelated characters whose sole purpose is climbing the ladder. I'm sure part of that reason is the fact that the UO population has started growing old, while the days of active roleplaying have generally been left in the 90's or with its associated games. The biggest issue that SotA is going to face with longtime fans is the lack of full loot and open PvP. I'm not sure how to feel about the random item on drop with option to ransom it back, as opposed to Albion's full loot. It seems a little lackluster. Risk, to me, is what makes these kind of games fun.

On the other hand, the framework of Albion thus far feels and looks, with it's top-down view, almost like an exact replication, save for the combat and skill aspects which are still subject to change. In regards to UO, the problem at this point is the lack of any sort of roleplaying or interactivity. The crafting system currently enabled allows you to essentially play alone, which takes away a large portion of potential social activity in game. In my time played, the only people I've really talked to have been the few people in my guild, who, admittedly, were helpful. Of course, these could also be symptoms of a pre-launch, low population player base with a lot of features missing or incomplete. What I do know is that the current crafting system lends itself greatly to the individual player, so it could probably use some tweaking if it wants to achieve what Ultima did in terms of being a real world. Things like auction houses need to go, even if they are local. It's systems like that that separate players. I wish I could have another player craft me cool unique weapons, but what's the point when I can take my materials to an NPC blacksmith and make a Tier n sword myself? The tiers themselves are another part of this problem, but that's a whole other discussion.

Both share a lot of similar concepts, like better resources being found in greater abundance in PvP zones, but the difference here will mainly come down to the game's core looting mechanics, crafting, and target demographics. You either have to put up with restricted looting and PvP to enjoy what will be a great community and world, or you can have full loot PvP, limited crafting, and endure the FFA deathmatch pubbies who tend to flock to games like this. I don't mind SotA's looting and crafting systems, but Albion needs a few changes in the self-sustainability department if it wants to last.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 6, 2014

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
So I finally installed this game that I kickstarter backed not really wanting much to do with the alpha and find it is still in alpha. I could of sworn that I heard the game was launching next week. Is there a goon presence in this game at all?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

NiknudStunod posted:

So I finally installed this game that I kickstarter backed not really wanting much to do with the alpha and find it is still in alpha. I could of sworn that I heard the game was launching next week. Is there a goon presence in this game at all?

no to all of that

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

NiknudStunod posted:

2015 estimated release date

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Another game for him to start and then turn off two months after release to further fleece the still UO faithful fans to fund another space flight or other hobby.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Untagged posted:

Another game for him to start and then turn off two months after release to further fleece the still UO faithful fans to fund another space flight or other hobby.

this isn't a mmorpg despite being in the mmog forum. it's some weird hybrid

Node fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 24, 2014

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
We (I work on the game as programmer/story designer/guy who yells at people a lot) launched on Steam Early Access today but it's REALLY VERY EARLY ACCESS - first pass of combat and advancement is in but unless you like poking at rough and broken things you may want to wait.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The scent of this thread led me here. Hi guys what's going on

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

hello this game is on steam early access now and i'm interested to hear some people's opinions of what it's like :)

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Lum_ posted:

We (I work on the game as programmer/story designer/guy who yells at people a lot) launched on Steam Early Access today but it's REALLY VERY EARLY ACCESS - first pass of combat and advancement is in but unless you like poking at rough and broken things you may want to wait.

Are you not "The Mad" anymore? I really miss the good ole days when you had a blog.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Poking at rough and broken things is something most goons can only dream of

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

Are you not "The Mad" anymore? I really miss the good ole days when you had a blog.

My blog is only down temporarily and I'll put it back up when I have more time and every comment doesn't end with "#gamergate #notyourshield".

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lum_ posted:

My blog is only down temporarily and I'll put it back up when I have more time and every comment doesn't end with "#gamergate #notyourshield".

Just ban/block everyone who uses those hash tags or brings that poo poo up anyways

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, I really don't 'get' this game. Like, how MMO-y is it, like, really?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'm mostly curious how player crafted stuff/housing all works when you can just go into single player mode.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Eonwe posted:

So, I really don't 'get' this game. Like, how MMO-y is it, like, really?

We're still pushing how many people we can shove in a town at the same time; mainly it's intended to be played with small groups.

Eonwe posted:

I guess I'm mostly curious how player crafted stuff/housing all works when you can just go into single player mode.

People's houses, vendor loot (vendors resell everything players sell them, which is often hilarious and will be tweaked shortly) etc show up in single player online. For right now in single player offline default houses show up but that's still not hammered on yet and we don't let people play offline (there's a single player mode but you're still online talking to the game server).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gotcha, that makes sense. I might pick it up soon, I'm definitely more interested in the multiplayer aspect but maybe small groups will be enough.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
This entire "deck" combat system is currently crap. It is like playing with a RNG. I also hate the fact that it is level based instead of skill based. I could of sworn this game was slated for a oct 2014 release. I will be surprised if this game is ready for a oct 2015 release for beta.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm sorry for redirecting the thread about something not SotA, but how did you get involved in the game, Lum?

Visiting your site on my 56k was at least a daily ritual for me as a teenager. Your WW2 Online experience made me pee my pants.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Has the team for this game changed near launch and does Garriot actually show up and work on this project?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
As a huge fan of Garriot and a small forum fan of Lum I want this to be good (and I gave it money when it originally launched) but it feels like this will be actually playable and enjoyable around the time Camelot Unchained has launched and died, leaving me a back up sequel to dream about and then be majorly disappointed by.

I'm not saying it's impossible for this to be a polished title by 2016, but I don't see it happening. I've only funded two Kickstarters ever (the two mentioned) and it feels like even the best of Kickstarters are still a mostly wasted projects lost in a circle of promising more stuff to get more money, never actually giving a quality basic thing that works.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I also want this to be a great game and wish all Ultima Online celebrities worked on it in some way. Please let there be a Ronald McDonald quest for a goatee at least.

The good ole days...
http://www.wtfman.com/flash/mwtf.htm

Givin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 25, 2014

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I keep getting booted from the server after 1 - 10 minutes of play. Do I need to set up port forwarding or something?

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I didn't have to set anything up. You may just be experiencing their servers overloading now that the game has gone live on steam early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

I'm sorry for redirecting the thread about something not SotA, but how did you get involved in the game, Lum?

Visiting your site on my 56k was at least a daily ritual for me as a teenager. Your WW2 Online experience made me pee my pants.

Wait what site is this?

• Locked thread