Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

http://www.tentonhammer.com/feature/feel-burn-many-ways-shroud-avatar-conserves-cash

quote:

Office Space
The team at Portalarium work in perfectly acceptable conditions, but each sacrifice a lot to keep the company’s spend down. They use Spartan style desk setup which is actually hard to find an office space that’ll let you do it. Offices have electricity and air conditioning set to a perfect level depending on the number of people that are allowed to occupy a specific amount of square feet. One office should have one person in it, but they’ll put two or three desks in that office space in order to save on rent.

“If a building knows we’re about to put that much density in it, they go thank you but no thank you.”

The issue is that there isn’t enough electricity and air conditioning for that space, so they have to leave the doors open and run power cords through wire tacks / wire raceways to help balance the power load. This has made them finding office space rather difficult, because no one really wants someone to pay for less space for more people, but they do it to save the backer’s money. This is changing, as they’re not penny pinching so hard, but at the same time it’s an example of the level of detail they go into to avoid wasting money.

As you can see in the above photo, conditions are perfectly fine, and there is still a full desk space to be used, so it’s not as if the employees are suffering, and it saves money in the long run.

I wonder how that room smells. The space isn't ventilated for that kind of density. Do they have lunch rules to prevent someone bringing something stinky? If someone has mexican for lunch do they have to work the rest of the afternoon telecommuting in from the parking lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I hope those carbon-cloth infused underwear that neutralizes fart odor is mandatory apparel in there. Oh man.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

how much did they pay tentonhammer for that article

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Nurel posted:

how much did they pay tentonhammer for that article

Given that lately ten ton hammer has been desperately flooding my rss feed with all kinds of click bait "guides", probably not much...

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I recently got the chance to play this game. It's really, really rough.

The graphics are awful - not just placeholder textures or uneven art design (although those are all problems too), but just bad copy-and-paste jobs. They have billboard forests for zone edges, and the whole thing looks and feels like a game ten years older than it is. It's really bad.

Combat is terrible, too. There's no feel of connecting, when you swing. Your range is probably realistic, but in game it's not very fun. Like, you can be standing almost inside the model of a skeleton and still not be able to swing at it because you're somehow out of range. And the skeletons in particular suck. There are three types: mages, archers, and melee skeletons. Mage skeletons can hit you from across a zone. Archers run away after hit, causing you to chase them for hours (each of your swings deals very little damage). Melee skeletons will go toe to toe with you, but their range exceeds yours so every swing causes them to "push" themselves backwards a tiny bit... just enough to move out of range. So you have to swing, step, swing, step, step, swing, etc and hope you're still hitting.

I know it's pre-alpha, but drat, it has a long way to go.

I really want to play this when it's done, but the original 2014 launch date is laughable. I'd be surprised if this is ready by 2017. It needs serious work. My guess is that they'd be looking at a mid-to-late-2018 launch if they could keep the funds coming in. Again, I REALLY like Ultima and I want to play this video game. I would be a goony gently caress and spend a fair amount of Real Cash Monies on this video game if it were good enough.

The funniest part though is how if you mention any of the problems on the Steam forums you get thirty fanbois howling and throwing poop at you almost instantly. Game is apparently perfect and needs absolutely no improvement on any front whatsoever, and any criticism - no matter how minor - is absolutely invalid. Reminds me of the early days of Wildstar in that way.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 16, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
loving hell, can we start using this game as an example of how much they can improve while they're in active development?
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=53410

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

loving hell, can we start using this game as an example of how much they can improve while they're in active development?

:spergin: awareness. Lord British knows his audience. Especially me.

Node fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 19, 2015

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

How have they improved with this update? You can't improve a craptastic UI by adding more content.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

nelson posted:

How have they improved with this update? You can't improve a craptastic UI by adding more content.

Not an improvement, but a solid weekly update contributing to Release 22 which is gonna be awesome.
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=53145
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=53266

Release 24 (November) is gonna be a month spent just polishing the game, so I figure that'll be better for people who want to see it get polished up a bit. I just think this is a good response to "my feedback doesn't matter when a game is in alpha/beta, a week or month is no time at all!"

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Release 22 tomorrow. This is a big one.
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=53590

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can't wait to spam this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_cIQzlgSr8

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

If you post an ABC file, I promise to play it on loop any and every time I AFK.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 24, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Unctuous Cretin posted:

If you post an ABC file, I promise to play it on loop any and every time I AFK.

Couldn't think of anything more obnoxious that people would play than this in LOTRO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6CbKZq9DhE

Or play Stones, you'll get tipped money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocOxBYoLDsg

Yup, I just played Stones and I got people gathering around and tipping gold and items lol

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 24, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Couldn't think of anything more obnoxious that people would play than this in LOTRO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6CbKZq9DhE

Or play Stones, you'll get tipped money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocOxBYoLDsg

Yup, I just played Stones and I got people gathering around and tipping gold and items lol

Smells Like Teen Spirit all day every day.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I have "Never Gonna Give You Up" for the lute, personally.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
The fact that you can log in Single Player Online in any of the mines and basically have carte blanche on the ore is hilarious to me. Hopefully that is altered before any real economic plans are made.

Is it the same with spawns as well? I haven't really checked.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't think there's going to be an economic plan.

Other than charge real money for property/houses, of course.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't think there's going to be an economic plan.

Other than charge real money for property/houses, of course.

Doubt it. They're doing expansions every two years.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Doubt it. They're doing expansions every two years.

That's cool but also oddly specific. Every two years is a long time, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thursday Next posted:

I recently got the chance to play this game. It's really, really rough.

The graphics are awful - not just placeholder textures or uneven art design (although those are all problems too), but just bad copy-and-paste jobs. They have billboard forests for zone edges, and the whole thing looks and feels like a game ten years older than it is. It's really bad.

Combat is terrible, too. There's no feel of connecting, when you swing. Your range is probably realistic, but in game it's not very fun. Like, you can be standing almost inside the model of a skeleton and still not be able to swing at it because you're somehow out of range. And the skeletons in particular suck. There are three types: mages, archers, and melee skeletons. Mage skeletons can hit you from across a zone. Archers run away after hit, causing you to chase them for hours (each of your swings deals very little damage). Melee skeletons will go toe to toe with you, but their range exceeds yours so every swing causes them to "push" themselves backwards a tiny bit... just enough to move out of range. So you have to swing, step, swing, step, step, swing, etc and hope you're still hitting.

I know it's pre-alpha, but drat, it has a long way to go.

I really want to play this when it's done, but the original 2014 launch date is laughable. I'd be surprised if this is ready by 2017. It needs serious work. My guess is that they'd be looking at a mid-to-late-2018 launch if they could keep the funds coming in. Again, I REALLY like Ultima and I want to play this video game. I would be a goony gently caress and spend a fair amount of Real Cash Monies on this video game if it were good enough.

The funniest part though is how if you mention any of the problems on the Steam forums you get thirty fanbois howling and throwing poop at you almost instantly. Game is apparently perfect and needs absolutely no improvement on any front whatsoever, and any criticism - no matter how minor - is absolutely invalid. Reminds me of the early days of Wildstar in that way.

The only other game i've played that started with the alpha, was Project CARS and that was in a very similar state to what Shroud of the Avatar is in, where everything is really rough, especially the production values. During alpha, a lot of art assets are not place holders per say, but are not completed either. I would keep an open mind for now and see where the game goes and how it looks once it's in beta. Shroud of the Avatar still has a long ways to go and i'm a bit concerned about the direction it's going though, especially since it's a year behind schedule. Just from experience playing other games in the early alpha stage, Shroud of the Avatars current state is standard.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
My problem with Shroud of the Avatar is that it looks and feels way too much like a Unity game.

Not a fan of the way zones are being designed. You can really tell it's just a Unity scene with two exits.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

My problem with Shroud of the Avatar is that it looks and feels way too much like a Unity game.

Not a fan of the way zones are being designed. You can really tell it's just a Unity scene with two exits.

That's the biggest thing I dislike about the game as well.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Anyone else playing this release? I've got a row house near the bank in Ardoris if anyone wants a house to use.

Includes cat.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

Anyone else playing this release? I've got a row house near the bank in Ardoris if anyone wants a house to use.

Includes cat.

I'm going to hop on for the Halloween release, but I'm still too busy to play. I gotta find an empty village lot with waterfront property.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

yoloer420 posted:

Includes cat.

When the hell are they going to release this game.
Want to play it, but im not really into alpha/beta tests.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

When the hell are they going to release this game.
Want to play it, but im not really into alpha/beta tests.

I'm eager too but I'm totally okay with giving R. Garriott and Lum all the time they need with this game.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The longer they wait to release the more hats I can acquire.

I'm hoping for a hat rack for those who have every hat.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

They sent out and update today to all backers and owners via email. The November release (24) is no longer a "polish and performance" update, it's actually a fairly meaty content update.

On one hand, anything that adds more content is obviously a good things, but on the other, SotA basically sets my laptop on fire whenever I play it, so even a little optimization would go a long way.

They also said in the update that they are on track for a 2016 release. Not sure if I believe that really. It's coming together nicely, but it's still rougher than a badgers rear end in places.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I really hope they can mitigate the primary issue I have with it, it feels like a Unity scene with enter/exit triggers to enter another bigger Unity scene rather than a playable game.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

lolasaurusrex posted:

They also said in the update that they are on track for a 2016 release. Not sure if I believe that really. It's coming together nicely, but it's still rougher than a badgers rear end in places.

December 31, 2016 is still 2016!

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Unctuous Cretin posted:

December 31, 2016 is still 2016!

Next year is a leap year, so that increases their chances of making it!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

I really hope they can mitigate the primary issue I have with it, it feels like a Unity scene with enter/exit triggers to enter another bigger Unity scene rather than a playable game.

Not sure if that's possible to mitigate given that, well, they are Unity scenes with enter/exit triggers to other Unity scenes. Unity flatout can't do open-world style zoneless architecture. Ardoris is a good example of the absolute maximum of what you can shove into a Unity scene.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Lum_ posted:

Not sure if that's possible to mitigate given that, well, they are Unity scenes with enter/exit triggers to other Unity scenes. Unity flatout can't do open-world style zoneless architecture. Ardoris is a good example of the absolute maximum of what you can shove into a Unity scene.

So two years of patches and we get what?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy gently caress, the focus regen rate :psyduck:

Is there any plan in the future to revise that poo poo? Because god drat, regenning 2 tics a second out-of-combat is just terrible. I wonder why they didnt make the Focus ability Heightened Awareness increase focus regen out of combat at least, like Healthy does.

Passive Stance in the Heavy Armor tree increases it to 3 per second, thats it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

iminers posted:

So two years of patches and we get what?

two years worth of work?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I haven't been playing any of the releases because I don't want to spoil myself when the full game is released. I want to experience the whole game the first time. However, it sounds like I am missing out on a bunch of hats by doing so. Am I making a terrible mistake, Lum?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Node posted:

I haven't been playing any of the releases because I don't want to spoil myself when the full game is released. I want to experience the whole game the first time. However, it sounds like I am missing out on a bunch of hats by doing so. Am I making a terrible mistake, Lum?

I'm doing the same thing but getting the hats, or at least most of them. A couple weeks after each release someone releases a video on where the hats are at so I just mad dash to all of them then stopped playing until next release. Takes about 15 - 30 minutes depending on how much of a pain in the rear end some of the hats' locations are.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Holy gently caress, the focus regen rate :psyduck:

Is there any plan in the future to revise that poo poo? Because god drat, regenning 2 tics a second out-of-combat is just terrible. I wonder why they didnt make the Focus ability Heightened Awareness increase focus regen out of combat at least, like Healthy does.

Passive Stance in the Heavy Armor tree increases it to 3 per second, thats it.

This is my biggest issue with the game next to the way the levels feel like Unity scenes. I can't imagine how bad PVP is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Node posted:

I dunno, do you like hats? Most of the story content isn't in yet so you're not really saving yourself from much in the way of spoiling.

• Locked thread