Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«52 »
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard's attempt at the MOBA genre with a crossover twist, blending well-known characters from their three main franchises: Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo. Formerly it was called Blizzard DOTA, but a dispute with Valve over the DOTA trademark had Blizzard eventually change the name to Blizzard All-Stars. It's been many moons since we've seen any info on its gameplay, but apparently it's been reworked since then and gotten a second name change alongside. Along with the following artwork that was just released, that's pretty much all we know so far:

But not for long! There will be an unveiling at Blizzcon this weekend, initially with an overview on Friday from 4:45pm - 5:45pm PST on the main stage. On Saturday there will be a "deep dive" 12:30pm - 1:30pm PST, followed by live matches 2:00pm - 3:00pm PST, both on the panel stage. Weeeeeee!!!

Fun facts:

- Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard's second game with the acronym HotS (first was Heart of the Swarm).
- Heroes of the Storm is kind of Blizzard's second game with a title starting with Heroes (first was Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft).
- Heroes of the Storm means Blizzard is concurrently developing five games at once (WoW, SC2, D3, Hearthstone). Six if you count Titan. Maybe a result of devs being shifted as WoW slowly winds down?
- Heroes of the Storm was originally being developed as a custom map for Starcraft 2.
- Last month, Blizzard released a silly trailer to unveil the name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eThSo670cas
- In the artwork above, there are more Warcraft characters (5) than Starcraft and Diablo characters combined (2 + 2). Biased much Blizz??

GRAND UNVEILING TIMES

4:45 PM Pacific
7:45 PM Eastern
12:45 AM UTC (Saturday)
9:45 AM Seoul (Saturday)

Heroes of the Storm has been unveiled! I'll probably do a new OP later this weekend once the dust has settled. It's still a dotalike (Blizzard is calling the genre 'hero brawler', which we can now add to dotalike, AoS clone, Action RTS, and MOBA) with Blizzard characters. Beta sign-ups for it are open, so the beta should be starting soon-ish (Blizzard Standard Time).

- Cinematic Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ecv0bT9DEo
- Gameplay Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_fAkO3WOSY
- Developer Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnhI_JotfcY
- BETA SIGN-UP: http://battle.net/account/managemen...html?style=beta

Cicero fucked around with this message at Nov 9, 2013 around 00:18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm interested in seeing how they decide to change things up from the standard Dota-like formula. I think they know they can't just do a straight-up clone with Blizzard characters, because their competitors are too well entrenched in that space. IIRC when it was still called All-Stars they had some RTS-lite elements in there.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

It will be interesting to see how much of Blizzard All-Stars carries over to Heroes of the Storm. Some key differences highlighted in this video are:

-Siege champions
-Recruitable creeps
-No more last hitting
-Simplified stats
-Simplified item recipes
-Multiple maps

Cession
Apr 7, 2006

I guess that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself.

Heroes will be to LoL what Hearthstone is to Magic: the Gathering.

Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

He wants a much bigger lamp than the little ones I have.

Cession posted:

Heroes will be to LoL what Hearthstone is to Magic: the Gathering.

But LoL is already to DotA what Hearthstone is to M:tG, so I'd be interested how they could dumb it down any further.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Minrad posted:

But LoL is already to DotA what Hearthstone is to M:tG, so I'd be interested how they could dumb it down any further.
Yeah, this is what I was going to say. Personally I'm pulling for the RTS lite stuff they showed before like recruitable creeps. The most fun I ever had in a game of Warcraft 3 was a 2v2 where we had exhausted almost all of the mines, each player had multiple high-level heroes, and we ended up just chasing each other around the map between the few remaining active mines and our mains. It was like a sudden impromptu UMS map.

Cession
Apr 7, 2006

I guess that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself.

I meant in terms of new user friendliness, the leveraging of a strong visual art style, and it being an overall less stressful more approachable more fun-to-watch experience but yeah I guess numbers are fun too.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I like the MOBA concept but the little stuff (like last hitting, etc) annoys me so I look forward to Blizzard taking that stuff out and adding more "fun" stuff in. That, along with the huge list of famous Blizzard characters, gets me excited to at least hear about what they've come up with.

dichloroisocyanuric
Aug 13, 2007

They look like monsters to you?

I really hope this game is kind of just arcadey and fun. I want it to swing as much in the direction of "fun" as dota does to "competitive" so I can play one and switch to the other when I get in a slump.

I think it's gonna be a bit more than them just dumbing it down. As others have said, LoL is pretty much already just 'dota-lite' so I'm expecting Blizz to actually try to change the formula up and make the game their own.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

G's up
Hoes down

I'm totally hooked on League right now, it'd be cool to have a MOBA with space marines in it and F2P? Sure why not.

And quite honestly I'm pretty into the competitive side of it, and I feel like meta activities such as last hitting and player positions add more fluidity and options to the play to give it a more uh, "e sport"-like flow.

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at Nov 7, 2013 around 20:19

yap
Mar 19, 2003

How is last hitting a meta activity? It's a basic mechanic that is part of the game itself.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Killing your own dudes so that the other champion doesn't get experience from him is meta as gently caress

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

I hope they get rid of the rigidly enforced early game - mid game - late game. Where in the early game (unless you're the jungler) you are not supposed to do anything (I'm coming from LoL). You just juke around and last hit and occasionally take a shot at the opposing player, but don't ever commit to anything. And certainly don't chase them under their tower or your brother will yell at you. Yeah, I could do without that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Maybe you should try other games in the genre where you can kill the map boss at level 1 or three man tower dive a dude before creeps even spawn.

Scent of Worf
Jan 16, 2013

The Old Moon!

I hope this is nothing like LoL/DOTA 2 because those games are boring as heck.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

How am I going to explain this to my wife?

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Definitely can't get into DOTA 2 for some reason. It feels like I'm playing a really janky game (HoN) given the HD treatment. Excited for this because I'm a fan of a bunch of Blizzard characters (even if Metzen keeps on messing them up!).

Plus it'll be fun to revenge kill Raynor as Tychus. And of course everyone else as Arthas and Diablo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

Plus it'll be fun to revenge kill Raynor as Tychus. And of course everyone else as Arthas and Diablo.
I'm thinking they'll make Diablo the equivalent of Baron/Roshan instead of a playable character.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

Eej posted:

Maybe you should try other games in the genre where you can kill the map boss at level 1 or three man tower dive a dude before creeps even spawn.

Good idea. I was thinking of maybe trying Heroes of the Storm because if some of Blizz All-Stars carries over, like towers running out of ammo, then it will allow for more gameplay in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

perfectfire posted:

Good idea. I was thinking of maybe trying Heroes of the Storm because if some of Blizz All-Stars carries over, like towers running out of ammo, then it will allow for more gameplay in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Any game in the genre that isn't LoL could also fulfill this request.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

and she told me, "Listen honey. There's hundreds of strong men out there. I like men who are kind, who are honest, men who can be open with me."

Minrad posted:

If Blizzard dumbed Heroes down to the level of the average Dota player, basic object permanence would be a challenge.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

If Blizzard dumbed Heroes down to the level of the average Dota player, basic object permanence would be a challenge.
Finally, someone will be targeting the underserved infant market. How will I train my kids to become bonjwas if I can't have them playing eSports before they can walk?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

the player so ice
they named him thrice

For reference, here's the Blizzcon 2011 panel talking about Blizzard All-Stars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWymJSal9IM

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

Eej posted:

Since this is the HotStorm thread I thought maybe I would discuss it rather than "Any game in the genre that isn't LoL".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

perfectfire posted:

Since this is the HotStorm thread I thought maybe I would discuss it rather than "Any game in the genre that isn't LoL".

It seems a little silly when you are asking for Blizzard to get rid of a gameplay design decision that is mostly unique to LoL, yes.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Agreed. If this is another DotA clone where 45+ minute games are the norm, I won't touch it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Eej posted:

I'm not a pro MOBA sperglord or anything, but I've played a decent amount of DOTA/LoL/HON and every single one of them starts out slow as gently caress. I'm sure tower diving someone before creeps even come out is a thing that happens sometimes, but let's not pretend like that's the norm and slow starts are unique to LoL.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Eej posted:

It seems a little silly when you are asking for Blizzard to get rid of a gameplay design decision that is mostly unique to LoL, yes.
LoL is the dominant game in the genre, these kinds of comparisons are inevitable.

yap
Mar 19, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

Definitely can't get into DOTA 2 for some reason. It feels like I'm playing a really janky game (HoN) given the HD treatment. Excited for this because I'm a fan of a bunch of Blizzard characters (even if Metzen keeps on messing them up!).

Isn't the LOL client written in Adobe Air or something? That is the definition of janky right there.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

Eej posted:

Blizzard themselves showed-off the aforementioned towers running out of ammo feature. I guess my asking for Blizzard to get rid of a gameplay design decision has somehow gone back in time and caused Blizzards game designers to not only get rid of a gameplay design decision that is mostly unique to LoL, but to proudly show it off to the world. How silly of them, yes.

Delmin
Jan 6, 2012

I wonder how many changes they've made to the game since their reveal at the 2011 Blizzcon.

I really thought some of the changes were really cool, most specifially 20 minute long games and rewarding aggressive play. Also hiring creeps and rolling with mounts instead of boots was pretty unique. The tomes that awarded permanent stat boosts were ehh, but I thought overall the design of the game was pretty cool. I really hope they didn't just scrap all that and turn it into another Dota clone.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Guys I have to fess up, that art in the OP is actually a big joke. Here are some of the REAL heroes you'll get to choose from:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

yap posted:

Isn't the LOL client written in Adobe Air or something? That is the definition of janky right there.

Dota is filled with game mechanic jank. LoL is built upon technical jank. It's different you see.

gannyGrabber
May 8, 2012

Curses are the crutches of inarticulate motherfuckers.

Hopefully they'll replace chat with emotes, because chat is the worst loving part of dota/lol.

Rorus Raz
Nov 13, 2011

You're making me donkey.

You wouldn't like me when I'm donkey.

Cicero posted:

Guys I have to fess up, that art in the OP is actually a big joke. Here are some of the REAL heroes you'll get to choose from:

It is seriously a massive waste if they don't dip into those franchises. It was called Blizzard All-Stars at one point, and the Lost Vikings are true stars drat it

Also, it'd be nice to see something from Blizzard that isn't the same three franchises over and over.

Omelette du Fromage
Jul 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Dota is filled with game mechanic jank. LoL is built upon technical jank. It's different you see.

e: nm

Omelette du Fromage fucked around with this message at Nov 8, 2013 around 02:40

yap
Mar 19, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

It is seriously a massive waste if they don't dip into those franchises. It was called Blizzard All-Stars at one point, and the Lost Vikings are true stars drat it

Also, it'd be nice to see something from Blizzard that isn't the same three franchises over and over.

When Marvel Vs Capcom games started coming out people loved the characters that didn't "fit". I really hope they dig deep for some of the characters.

edit: The obvious issue, I'd guess, is that there are not a whole lot for them to choose from.

gannyGrabber
May 8, 2012

Curses are the crutches of inarticulate motherfuckers.

yap posted:

When Marvel Vs Capcom games started coming out people loved the characters that didn't "fit". I really hope they dig deep for some of the characters.

edit: The obvious issue, I'd guess, is that there are not a whole lot for them to choose from.

Still holding out hope for Farnham.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

Would love to see Deckard Cain throwing books at Nova.

Delmin
Jan 6, 2012

yap posted:

They need to put in the best character in WoW. They need to put in Mr. Smite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorus Raz
Nov 13, 2011

You're making me donkey.

You wouldn't like me when I'm donkey.

Sheep from Warcraft 2

"Baa Ram Ewe"

«52 »