Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Game thread is here.

Sharn. The City of Towers. The Gateway to Xen'drik. Eberron's Greatest Metropolis. While it's not the capitol of Breland, it's still the largest city. Nine quarters hold 211,000 people, 60 noble houses, and 13 Dragonmarked Houses. There are citizens from all nations recognized in the Treaty of Thronehold, as well as Riedra, Droaam, the Shadow Marshes, Aerenal, and Xen'drik. Even during the Last War, Sharn remained open as a hub of commerce and political discourse. Unsurprisingly, all these things have led to a rather sizable criminal element.

It is the duty of the Sharn Watch to guard the dozens of towers and caverns in which it's citizens live, but they're not enough. There are only five garrisons and the individual watch commanders have varying opinions ranging from indifference to flat out corruption. Unfortunately for the Lord Commander, Crimes that are too big for their rank and file officers to solve have started cropping up, and even though the Redcloaks and Kings Citadel stand ready to assist, the Watch Commanders see calling in outside help as a sign of weakness. It's finally become a problem too big to ignore, soon enough the council or even the King might notice.

That's where you come in.

Welcome to the newly minted Sharn Watch Advanced Tactics Squad, there is no job too big for you to handle, and there is no district in which you do not have jurisdiction. It is your job to find and solve the big cases before they become PR disasters.

Good luck.

What's going on?
In Mourning is a PbP 4th Edition DnD Game. I will be using a mixture of Dungeon published Eberron Adventures and stuff I've come up with myself to take you on an adventure through Sharn, Khorvaire, and beyond. There will be investigation as well as kicking in doors, so make what you like. Knowledge of the Eberron setting is not necessary, but it will be a plus. There's a lot of information in 3rd edition books that are now out of print that I'll try to provide where I can. I'm also not married to setting canon, if you've got an interesting idea for a character and a way to fit him in, or need help figuring out a way to fit them in, let me know.

Characters
I'm looking for 5 Characters of 11th level, standard gold and magic items, 22 point buy, inherent bonuses. Free Expertise, Improved Defenses, and Melee Training. Backgrounds and Themes are okay.

Stuff from other settings is also okay but I'm going to need justification on where the hell your Thri-Kreen Templar Warlock/Psion came from. You don't strictly need to be a member of the Sharn Watch to get in either, they might conscript a particularly patriotic pickpocket or a (slightly less patriotic) Tharashk Mercenary to fill in the gaps.

Characters and Rolls will be going on Orokos.

Dragonmarks?
Probably not. PM me or hit me up on IRC if you would like otherwise.

Contact me
I've got PMs and I'll be in #SAInMourning.

Recruitment is now closed, thanks to all who applied.

pre:
Name			Character	Class		Role		Sheet	Backstory
Thundarr		Malakhad	Psion		Controller	Y	Y
Wolery			Hrktek		Wizard		Controller	Y	Y

Korlac			Jerac		Swordmage	Defender	Y	Y
Berenzen		Korgul		Paladin		Defender	Y	N
Ryujin			Benn		Knight		Defender	Y	Y
Axe Cop			Lank and Weed	Fighter		Defender	Y	Y

Colon V			Murtaugh	Fighter/Warlord	Hybrid		Y	Y

Really Pants		Anodyne		Artificer	Leader		Y	Y
Wahad			Goresh		Runepriest	Leader		Y	Y
Mustache Ride		Kittos		Warlord		Leader		Y	Y

Captain Walker		Enna Carreth	Rogue		Striker		Y	Y
This Post Sucks		Valin		Hexblade	Striker		Y	N
Ovo			Ghorma		Barbarian	Striker		Y	Y
Trier			Elliot		Warlock		Striker		Y	Y

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Other Helpful Notes

Sharn gets more expensive and more exclusive the further up you are. The aristocrats live in the Skyway or in Upper Central. The chattle lives in the Lower Towers, or (Host forbid) the Cogs.

Districts In Sharn
  • Dura The oldest, largest, and most crime ridden district of the City, Upper Dura is worse off than Lower anywhere else. And Lower Dura is just barely better than the Cogs. That said all port traffic has to travel through the Dura.
  • Cliffside Basically an extension of the Dura, its overseen by the Dura watch. It contains warehouses and red light districts, amongst other things.
  • Central The Heart of Sharn and the Seat of Government. The Mayor, the Council, and the Dragonmarked Houses live here. It has the busiest marketplaces and some of the most expensive residential neighborhoods.
  • Northedge Almost entirely residential, and is mostly seen as a cheaper extension of Central. Its overseen by Central watch as a result.
  • Menthis Plateau The seat of entertainment and learning. The Morgrave University is here. It's also a giant tourist trap, and houses a few Dragonmark House run brothels.
  • Tavick's Landing Upper Tavick's Landing is a small fiefdom run by the local Aristocracy. Laws unique to the district put it under the direct command of house Deneith, and you need a license to even carry a weapon within it's boundaries. Everything lower than that is a mixture of residential and commercial and is fairly bustling due to it being the only way for land bound visitation.
  • Skyway A literal city on the clouds, held up by magic. If you live here you're not just rich, you're filthy rich.
  • The Cogs The industrial district, there is no official watch here to speak of. Any watch patrols that come here are from the areas above.
  • The Depths The sewers and the ruins of the cities on which Sharn was Built. It's technically illegal to even be here, but some people come out of greed since there's obviously some wealth buried somewhere.

NPCs in the Watch
  • Lord Commander Iyan ir'Talan, Human, Male Administrator of the Watch, Stationed at the headquarters on the Central Plateau. Not strictly corrupt but isn't in it to punish criminals, only to keep the nobles happy
  • Lian Halamar, Halfling, Male Commander of the Dura Watch. In bed with the Boromar crime family, uses them as much as they use him. Might occasionally fight crime when it doesn't conflict with his mob dealings.
  • Belew Yorgan, Dwarf, Male Commander of the Central Plateau Watch. Greedy and sycophantic, eager to curry favor with all of the influential people in the Central Plateau, surprisingly he's actually very good at his job. The Upper and Middle central districts are the safest in the city.
  • Silaena Cazal, Elf, Female Commander of the Menthis Watch Her family was outcast from House Phiarlan, as a result she hates all the Houses. She's served longer than even the Lord Commander and has spread a web of graft and extortion throughout her district over the years. Everyone is safe as long a they pay up.
  • Iyanna ir'Talan, Human, Female Commander of the Tavick's Landing Watch. The Lord Commander's Daughter. Unlike him she actually cares about the people under her protection and has purged a great deal of the corruption in Tavick's Landing. She's not making any friends among the other ranking officers or crime lords though.

In addition to this there are two other branches of the Watch.
The Blackened Book is essentially the Magic CSI. They have countermages designed to monitor and dispel magic energy. As well as people trained to examine any magic items or artifacts that might come into the watch.
The Guardians of the Gate were created during the last war to keep an eye on foreign nationals within Sharn. Now that the war is over they still perform that role just a bit more tactfully.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anodyne, Warforged Artificer

"Undead or alive, you're coming with me."

After serving Breland with distinction in the Last War, Anodyne's retirement loomed large before him--almost a dirty word among the 'Forged, for whom it usually means long periods of aimless drifting followed by short periods of violent death, or disappearing into the Mournland never to return. Luckily, the Sharn Watch was in dire need of able bodies for a special department named SLAP or SMASH or some other nonsense, and Anodyne had once hauled the recruiting sergeant out of a pile of man-eating zombies.

The construct's local command/control & force-multiplication suite was a perfect fit for the Watch, and although his intellect and magical talents have drawn offers for much safer, better-paying work in the Blackened Book, he has no intention of leaving. Anodyne protects the innocent, serves the public trust, and upholds the law with all the skill and dedication he once gave to the army, grateful for an opportunity to find and battle criminal scum--i.e. bad people that it's okay to hit.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 8, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Eberron! :woop: Whelp time to bust out the character builder and put effort into an app for once.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'll be posting something here later. Probably a psion!

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
Jerac, Genasi Swordmage Arcane Investigator

Jerac believed in knowledge. He believed that his years spent with his nose buried in books to gain insight and knowledge of ancient arcane meanderings would prove useful in protecting people from those who would use such knowledge for twisted deeds.

After rising quickly through his studies he was invited to apply to The Blackened Book. There his abilities and knowledge grew even more, but so did his cynicism. While Jerac knew there were going to be shades of grey, he wasn't fully prepared for the blackest of black in those he investigated. His years with the Book exposed him to truly horrific scenes of arcane power gone wrong. The final straw was the Necromancer.

Ordered to track down the Necromancer Jerac spent weeks investigating fresh graves that had been dug up, body parts stolen from the recently deceased. Finally his search brought him to an abandoned house in the Cogs where he found a 12 year old girl. She had been convinced by the Necromancer that she could reanimate her parents, who died to the apathy of the Cogs, by following his instructions. In reality he was simply trying to train a new apprentice to assist in his rituals.

His orders were to arrest both the girl and the Necromancer, which he did with great restraint. In reality he wanted to kill the dark magician, who simply smiled at Jerac as he was walked off in handcuffs. Jerac would never forget that smile, and would always regret not killing the bastard.

It was after that he joined the Sharn Watch Advanced Tactics Squad. He knew they were given more leeway with how they put down threats and vowed next time he encountered the Necromancer, he wouldn't get the pleasure of walking away.

Korlac fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 8, 2013

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Elliot - Half Elf Warlock Interrogator

My dad was a cop. I spent half my childhood at the Lower Dura watch station, waiting for him to get off work, the other half in the streets, learning how to run with a bad crowd. Teaches you a thing or two about self-important jerks and their "moral compass". I've always been good at tricking people into getting what I want. It takes cunning and thinking on your feet to make your way through life in this part of town, and if you don't adapt and react quickly you're likely to end up the creek with no paddle. Sure, it didn't hurt I managed to run into a Fey willing to strike a deal, but it was mostly me who got me where I am today. She was just helping. I don't need all these tricks, it's just for show mostly. The guys at the station like them though, a lot of my old man's colleagues started bringing me along for their interrogations. Turns out I'm good at that, too.

Where I am today? I'm not far from where I started, I followed my Dad's footsteps and joined the watch, figured it'd make him proud of me. I'm not far from where I started, but I soon will be. Right now I'm sitting in the watch station writing about myself like a self-absorbed teenybopper. It's late, and most of the guys are out on patrol or gone home, I just gotta finish up some stuff and then I'm headed home to cook dinner for my dad. He's retired now, and tries to take things easy. He says he's been busy enough for one lifetime, seen enough things for two. Says he doesn't need anything as long as he has me. I dunno, I'd really like to go see the nicer parts of Sharn up close some day, although I bet they're as miserable up there as the the rest of us. This new initiative the sergeant was talking about, though, it seems like a way out of here. SWAT he called it. If nothing else, at least it might put me in a position to repay that Fey. I've been feeling the pressure lately...

Trier fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 11, 2013

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
Valin Cross, Changeling Hexblade

Have to get to bed, will post the backstory soon.

This Post Sucks fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 8, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Enna Carreth, Elf Rogue Private Detective

"...and in conclusion: I forsee great things for the Dura district in the next six months. Are there any questions at this time?"

"Yeah, when can we expect to see the great things from the last six months, or the year before that?"

The eyes of the press conference turned to the back of the room. Most of Lian Halamar's security had been covering the stage and his escape routes, with only basic scrying stations set up at the door to the conference hall. The speaker was an elven woman; far from old but certainly not young anymore, with the weight of the world in her eyes.

"Ms. Carreth, always a pleasure to see you at one of these events. I trust the rest of the room is familiar with my fellow keeper of the peace, Enna Carreth." Halamar was full of poo poo. For a number of years Enna had been frustrating Halamar and the Boromar family by taking bold action to uncover against the latter, forcing the former to make arrests. She had never linked the two; that would require more resources than she had. Today she was here on a different mission, and she had a trump card.

"Commander Halamar, do you expect us to believe that the Dura Watch is doing everything it can? Three years have passed since you were appointed and, according to my statistics, the average crime rate has stayed exactly the same. Almost as if the crooks here are afraid to attract too much attention."

Halamar rubbed his forehead with mock fatigue, and his security team began to close around him almost imperceptibly. "I can't speak for an entire underclass of criminal, Ms. Carreth, but my department has no evidence suggesting every single crook in the district has been telepathically conspiring to keep their activities out of my sight." For a second Enna caught a glance of that poo poo-eating "I'm untouchable" grin of his.

"Fair enough," she replied, then added quickly, "One more question, if I might: the Dura district has yet to nominate a candidate for the Advanced Tactics Squad initiative. What's the meaning of this?" The tension was gone from the air. Every conference she'd been too had gone more or less the same way for years: she'd barrage the corrupt bastard with questions and he'd deflect them with ease. Yet Enna found her stomach in knots. What if he was on to her this time?

But Halamar dismissed the comment in phrasing so perfect it could only be a miracle. "We're reviewing every applicant carefully. Believe me, no one wishes more than me that the perfect candidate would swoop in and turn their application in to me personally. I'll take one more question; Mr. ir'Geddin?"

ir'Geddin never got to ask his question, because Enna took two strides forward and leapt onto the stage, drawing her meticulously filled out application scroll and slamming it into Halamar's hands. The security guards had their swords out in moments but Halamar held up a hand to stop them. "Your interview had better be good, Ms. Carreth," he said quietly. The room went silent.

"It's all there in the scroll. I think you'll agree I'm among the most talented fighters with blade or crossbow in the district, and my skill for investigation is second to none, as evidenced by our cooperation in bringing down many senior members of the Boromar family. They're pretty mad about that, by the way; sent a half-dozen guys to kill me and burn my office to the ground. If only I'd had some proof they were connected to the big guy." With this, she folded her arms thoughtfully for a moment, briefly revealing to Halamar a small, pouch of gold with the Watch emblem on it. His eyes nearly popped out of his head, but before he could react further, she moved away and continued. "At any rate, I'm the foremost expert on interrogation, investigation, and inquisition in the district, if not the city. I think the special unit could use someone with my skills." She turned back to Halamar. "And most importantly, I'd be benefiting the whole of the city rather than disrupting your press conferences trying to do some good in Dura. In short: I get the job done. Whatever it takes."

"I'll, uh, have the paperwork sent ahead to Central."

---

As Enna passed through the lobby she noticed a guardsman frantically checking his pockets. As they passed in the crowd, she moved beside him.

"You really shouldn't carry your purse while you're on duty, officer," she whispered into his ear, slipping it back into his hand. "Left a little extra in there for the trouble."

By the time he turned around she was gone, out the door, looking up at the City of Towers.

"Whatever it takes, Halamar," she murmured.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Malakhad, Kalashtar Psion Inspector

For generations, Malakhad's family had served the city of Sharn as members of the Watch. Malakhad himself stayed true to the family tradition, joining the Sharn Watch and serving with distinction for years. His psionically-enhanced talent for rooting out and apprehending perpetrators earned him many accolades and brought many criminals to justice.

But that was a long time ago. An airship accident years ago had left Malakhad seriously injured, and cost him his wife and young son. He never fully recovered physically, and his days as a beat cop were over. The Watch transferred him to an administrative position, which let him continue to work on the most puzzling cases while coordinating the junior watchmen who handled his old job. Malakhad was thankful for the Sharn Watch's continued trust in him, but he was never really happy behind a desk.

Something about the airship crash had never felt right. Even though it had been ruled an accident, Malakhad's intuition told him that foul play had been involved. In his experience, elemental rings didn't simply fail the way this one did. He'd made quite a few enemies and he was the only person aboard at the time who came anywhere near VIP status. Unfortunately, by the time he was in any condition to look into the incident any evidence of wrongdoing was already gone.

In the years that followed, Malakhad spent long nights digging through the Sharn Watch's archives in the hopes of turning up something that he could link to the crash. Sometimes he felt that only his faith in il-Yannah kept his obsession from turning into madness as he turned up one dead end after another. Then, suddenly, it all fell into place. Shortly before the crash, he had broken up several criminal gangs in Cliffside and Dura that had seemed unrelated at the time. After painstakingly following the trail of shell companies that owned the warehouses they used as hideouts though, he found that they were all ultimately owned by one person: Adoros d'Sivis, a gnomish merchant and bookkeeper of some repute. This evidence should have been uncovered soon after the incident, but many of the Watch's records were missing or falsified; he didn't suspect any fellow watchmen, but most of their documents went through House Sivis hands at one point or another. Had he been targeted for getting too close to uncovering a conspiracy?

That wasn't nearly enough justification by itself to go accusing an influential member of one of the Dragonmarked Houses. Luckily, a new opportunity soon presented itself. The Sharn Watch was organizing new group to deal with crimes that were too big for the regular watch to deal with before they became major public scandals. It took calling in every last favor he had, but Malakhad managed to secure a spot on the Advanced Tactics Squad. With the resources and freedom the ATS provided to him, Malakhad now had a new-found ability to dig deeper into the mystery that had hounded him for years, as well as the many other problems that were corrupting the city from within. And it would be good to take a direct role in dealing with criminals one more time.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 12, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Placeholder! Going with a defender of some sort.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Hrktek, Kenku Summoner Wizard Archivist

As an orphan child growing up in Lower Dura, might never did make right for Hrktek. He was too small, too feeble to be of much use in a fight. For him, life was about hiding from bigger people, stealing whatever he could to survive, and making sure he was well out of the way when the mob or the Watch showed up. He would often dream of being powerful - he knew he'd never be big and strong like the brutes who ruled the streets, but he liked to imagine himself as the boss of some mob with the entire district in his pocket. He dreamt that he had a network of contacts reaching as high as the Skyway itself - and hell, as long as he was fantasizing, he might as well have magic powers, right?

Hrktek would soon learn that some dreams did come true. One day, when he was watching passers-by on the street, he spotted a man in a strange robe and a thick, important-looking tome under his arm. The man was a wizard! He must have been. He dressed exactly like Hrktek knew a wizard would dress. What's more, he was an idiot. Didn't he know how easy it would be for someone to grab that spellbook right out from under him? Before he knew it, Hrktek was on his talons, walking briskly behind the man. As casually as if it was an old dodderer's coin purse, Hrktek snatched the book with one quick motion and darted off down an alleyway. The spellbook was his! This was his chance! His dreams would all come true now, he was sure of it. He was as good as a wizard aleady. All the influence and respect he dreamed of was surely soon to follow.

Magic proved to be harder than Hrktek thought. He spent years poring over that spellbook, struggling at first to master even the most basic spells. He found that while magic more or less made sense to him, the book was of course written for that wizard's personal use, and thus lacked the instructional quality he'd been hoping for. Still, he kept at it. He liked the summoning spells the most - it seemed to him that invoking a big, scary creature to hide behind while it kept his enemies busy was a Very Good Plan indeed. He was, however, disappointed to find out that even with his newfound magical power, his life hadn't changed much. Sure, he'd become a better thief and even had a tiny little place to call his own, but he was still a lowly thief. Nobody respected him. Nobody wanted to follow him. He started to feel guilty about thieving, too. It was one thing when he was a little fledgeling pinching the odd coin or scrap of food from people much bigger and stronger, but now that he could easily obliterate his marks with a spell if he wanted to, it felt an awful lot like he was taking advantage of those weaker than him. He knew what it was like to be weak and, well, abusing the weak just felt wrong.

After a few more years and an unsuccessful bout of attempts to turn his magical talents into a trade, Hrktek turned to the one last place he figured might have need of a wizard: The Sharn Watch. He'd never much liked the Watch - they always seemed to be turning a blind eye to the criminals who needed to be taken down the most, and they came down way too hard on little stragglers and wayward souls like him - but he knew they'd appreciate his skills. He never stopped dreaming big, either. He started to imagine himself as someone who could really change the Watch for the better. He figured that he could show them the error of their ways and get them to start doing something about Dura's more dangerous elements.

Hrktek did get the job. He didn't get to enact the sweeping changes he would have liked, but a job that let him use his wizard powers and paid well enough for him to live in something slightly better than abject squalor suited him just fine. In time, he was even able to impose his will on the Watch a little. While he found there wasn't much he could do about the rampant corruption or apathy, he at least started detailed records of Watch activities and knowledge so that it would be easier to move against the more deeply-rooted and organized criminal element in the future. It wasn't like anyone else read them, but the important thing was that they were there, technically making the Watch better-equipped to do what was supposed to be its job. He also started seizing tomes and various magical items of interest from criminals and adding them to the Watch's resources. Of course, there was the odd trinket or curiosity here and there that he took purely for his own collection. Old habits died hard, and it wasn't like anyone else gave a poo poo about some nameless smuggler's crook-eye anyway.

As much as he was settling in to his place in the Sharn Watch's Dura branch, when he heard of the new elite "Tactics Squad" forming to handle jobs the rest of the Watch couldn't, he jumped at the opportunity to sign up. It sounded like just what he'd always wanted to do in the Sharn Watch, with the added bonus of heavily armed and armoured warriors to stand valiantly in front of him while he cast his spells. He imagined they'd even be the kind of people who would actually read his documentation for bloody once. Maybe, finally, he could be somebody respected. Somebody important.

Wol fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 8, 2013

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Korgul, Dwarven Paladin Internal Affairs

Backstory to come

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

'Old Iron' Murtaugh, Dwarf Immovable Object
"I was too old for this poo poo thirty years ago."

"I grew up in Dura. Wish I could say it was better back in the day." Murtaugh grumbles something under his breath as he drains another mug. No one's brave enough to point out that drinking on the job is strictly prohibited. He's gone into another one of his long-winded rants about the old days, and is probably taking a couple cheap shots at House Kundarak, too. Some of the rookies, and arguably the dwarf himself, like to paint him as one of the Old Guard, the gruff, tough-as-nails veterans who've seen it all before. A war hero bearing scars mental and physical, but all the more implacable because of them. It's an idealized view.

In reality, Murtaugh's been a sort of bureaucratic lodestone for decades. Being old and crotchety doesn't make you many friends, but being openly critical of the status quo earns you quite a few enemies. A clusterfuck of experience, politics, and his own staunch refusal to either die or be retired have left him in limbo. Murtaugh can not be promoted, will not move to a desk job, and by all rights, should not still be alive. The enemies he made as a rookie have climbed the political ladder, have wormed their ways into positions of prominence, while he has remained much the same, a relic, as immovable metaphorically as physically.

The assignment to SWAT was the first thing all parties involved could agree on involving Old Iron since before his beard greyed. His enemies hope it will finally be the death of the stubborn old stump, while his few remaining friends see it as a way to make use of his considerable experience. As for the dwarf himself, he considers it the worst idea he's ever agreed to. But he's agreed, as he always does. Because, when you take the soldier away from the war, what else does he have left?

Worth noting, although he's technically listed as a Defender/Leader hybrid, I've intentionally avoided any Marking powers, so there should be no worries about stepping on a 'proper' Defender's toes. (This was an issue in the last 4e game I was in.) Old Iron's tactics mostly consist of standing adjacent to as many allies as possible, and sharing his absurd endurance (through defense buffs and healing) while he hits foes with a big gently caress-off hammer. Marking rarely, if ever, comes into play.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Goresh, Longtooth Shifter Runepriest of Aureon

Not much in the way of work, if you're weretouched. When I was younger, I did some mercenary work. Bare my teeth and look menacing, then whack somebody with a blade. But it wasn't right. Wasn't proper. I came looking for penance with the Sovereign Host. Some of my fellow shifters, I heard, had found work with the clergy of Balinor; but that wasn't me. My heart wasn't in it. Sure, I'm half a beast, but I wanted people to respect me for my other half. So I went to Aureon, and I prayed. Surely the god of knowledge would know of some way to gain that respect, right?

My prayers were answered. I was inducted in the order. I was taught the Art of the Old Words. And I became a priest for the Sovereign Host. That was good work. I knew how to carry myself, and all that mercenary training hadn't gone to waste, so I was often tasked with finding long lost knowledge, or to protect those of a weaker constitution when journeying out to educate the ignorant. When a Watch officer came to the shrine to pursue some lead of some case, I helped him out. Guess I left an impression - because here I am, with SWAT. My first loyalty is still to Aureon and the Sovereign Host, of course, but I can't deny that being a Watchman brings a little more prestige than being a priest. And I am still, despite my religious training, prone to that mortal failing of pride.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I've added everyone up to this point to the OP, looking good so far people.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Benn, Half-Elf Knight

Sharn, Breland, Khorvaire, Thrane, even the Mournlands one time, Benn has traveled the lands. He has seen many lands and many things, relying less on the strength of arm and more with sheer determination and physical grit. A quick tongue and a hearty composition has seen him through more than his fare share of adventures. And in all that time he has learned one major thing. The world needs civilization, it needs laws and the enforcement of those laws. It needs for people to feel safe in their homes. He has honed his silver tongue and his unusual fighting style and has determined to bring law to the lawless.

Returning to Sharn Benn was determined to join the Sharn Watch, to enforce the laws of the land and protect the concept of civilization. His skills and earnestness has led to his being employed in the newly formed Sharn Watch Advanced Tactics Squad.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Kurieg posted:

I've added everyone up to this point to the OP, looking good so far people.

You put me in as a Swordmage in the OP, but I'm a hexblade!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This Post Sucks posted:

You put me in as a Swordmage in the OP, but I'm a hexblade!

You're a changeling aren't you? How do I know you're not just a Swordmage pretending to be a Hexblade!? Fixed, sorry.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Kurieg posted:

You're a changeling aren't you? How do I know you're not just a Swordmage pretending to be a Hexblade!? Fixed, sorry.

You caught me! (thanks!)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Sergeant Lank and Special Deputy Weed, Goliath Fighter and Elephant Bad Cop, Dumb Cop

"Say hello to the nice people, Weed. ...Eh, he's shy."

Name's Lank, you've probably heard of me, most people in the city have, I've got a good reputation, right, the best reputation, everyone loves Lank, right? Lank looks after his friends, especially the ones who return the favour, haha, yeah, some people call it a 'protection racket' and 'extortion', but hey, everyone's got critics, right, and besides, most shopkeeps are grateful to know someone's got their back, right? Yeah, right, don't give me that look, I'm providing a service, that's all, right, and don't listen to those rumours, it's been a long time since I was mixed up in all that criminal back-room chop-shop stuff, I'm totally clean now, all legit, not a mark on me, right? You think someone like me could get into the Watch if I wasn't clean, I mean, that's absurd, right, otherwise you'd be implying people take bribes, right? I'd hate to think someone thinks so lowly of the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for us, you know, they really work hard, it's admirable really, breaks my little heart to think of some poor kid never seeing his daddy again because he got shanked in the gut in some smelly alley, right?

Look, either way, I got the job now, right, and no-one can blame me if I stay out of harm's way, right, I mean, look at me, I barely touch your knee, poor little thing, weedy, not really fit for a fight, right? What, the ogre? Yeah, right, whatever, he's just my deputy, loyal as a puppy, he's the brains of the operation, haha, look at the cunning in his eyes, you know they say one in every thousand ogres is born incredibly intelligent, well, here's your guy, right? Can't keep a brain like that in harm's way, right? And clearly I'm not fit for fighting, right, so yeah, we'll just keep our desk jobs and be happy with it, right?

Sharn Watch Advanced Tactics? Never heard of it, not interested, sounds dangerous, real dangerous, not my kind of jive, right?

...You've got what papers on me? Well, that's a different game, right, I mean, of course I'd be happy to serve, right, protect and serve, saving the common citizenry, public service, you know, and Weed here would love an opportunity to serve his city, right, you can see the enthusiasm in his eyes, right?

...Right.

what the hell have I gotten myself into this time

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Ghorma, Dragonborn Barbarian
That basic image but without a shield.

I never understood why no one wanted to patrol down in The Cogs or Dura. No where else in the city was it easier to scam the locals. Sure I would say, the watch will protect you from thieves; sure we will protect you from being attacked, sure we will keep violence away from your home. Down there, no one gave a drat if you fleeced the locals for all they could spare. I came down to Sharn when I was scarcely hatched, learned how to run the streets young. Every other watch officer wanted to hobnob with rich buggers up in Central or the Skyway. Soon as I came of age I asked to join the watch, gave ‘em the old ‘I want to do my duty and serve with honor’ shtick. First patrol I could request I was down in The Cogs. Dragonborn saying ‘Pay me’, not many people said no.

The best place to get some free coin was the depths of course. Anyone I caught down there with loot worth something, I take it and they get off scott free. Anyone I find who has not found anything worth shite? Well if they have a donation for the Watch retirement fund I would let ‘em go. Over time I started letting much more than just a few people have free reign over the Depths. Dozen or more gangs were paying me tribute to let them loot down there free of hassle. One of the buggers found something that was actually worth something though, and I don't mean just a few hundred gold, I mean thousands. Powers that be came down hard on the gang, then came looking for whoever was letting them into the place. Few snitches in The Cogs sold me out; I ended up out of the force with nothing to show for 9 years of somewhat loyal service. Well, aside from a ring of gangs that knew me and merchants that already were paying me.

That was a few years ago though. I was able to get along before since I was a member of the watch; my gang was bigger than most gangs. Attack or kill me, whole watch comes down on your head. Last few years I spent all my time fighting off small time gangs and looters looking to knock me off or take over my territory. Then came the letter from Commander Cazel. Totally out of the blue it was. Some new watch group, SWAT, was forming and she needed eyes on it. She knew of my troubles with gangs; I was getting too old to run a whole area of The Cogs alone. Steady pay from the city, safe(ish) work in this new section, and all I have to do is report to Cazel? Not a problem at all. Cazel’s been around for a while and has not made many friends. Not long ‘till she is gone and I get to have the run of The Cogs again with no-one looking over my shoulder. Few months or years of being the elves toady and I get back on top. Of course it could be less than that, just have to keep my ears open, never know who might finally get sick of the drat woman.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sgt. Kittos - Bugbear Warlord

"Whats this assignment you handed me Yorgan? Sharn Watch Advanced Tactics Squad? What the hell is that and why did I get this billet?"

"They said they wanted someone from my squad to lead a small team of advanced crime fighters, and you're the best I've got."

"I'm not the best you've got, I'm the oldest you've got. What I am going to do with this team of civilians? Parade around and look shiny?"

"Beats me Sergeant, I'm just telling you what I was told. You're on assignment now, better get used to it."

Kittos is unusual for someone of his birth, born in Dura, he joined the watch after he realized that hanign around with the Goblins Mobs was not the end to a means, and he wanted more in life. The Watch was a way out, and he excelled. So much so, in fact, that he was assigned a role as a Watch Leader in the Middle District. Following Captain Yorgan's lead, he led his watch in the apprehension of several criminal organizations in Sharn, and that led to his eventual assignment to the newly provisioned SWAT as the older support and liaison with Watch personnel.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 12, 2013

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
How we doing here? I'm itching to use one of my (and this is true) 6 Immediate Interrupt encounter powers :)

EDIT: Ignore me, I just read the recruitment ends on the 16th. I'm off to learn how to read.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

HI KORLAC.

Wow this recruitment is open for a long time isn't it.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

HI KORLAC.

Wow this recruitment is open for a long time isn't it.

Hey buddy! Happy to be returning to gaming (And in the not-too-distant future I will return to GMing).

In the meantime however I figured I'd roll with a build I've been wanting to try out for a while. But yeah, even my new baby is a little shocked at how long the recruitment is set for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Korlac posted:

(And in the not-too-distant future I will return to GMing).
:toot:

That is indeed a very quizzical-looking baby.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well I was hoping this would be more popular and we'd get more subs, but it looks like interest has slowed to a trickle. I'll be too busy tomorrow to start the game (on top of the fact that I don't want to cut off the remaining subs waiting on back stories at the knees)

so :siren:Wednesday the 13th at noon CST:siren: is the new Deadline.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 11, 2013

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

The Leper Colon V posted:

That is indeed a very quizzical-looking baby.

So before he was born my wife didn't want to use his real name (she was worried it would be bad luck to tell anyone his name before he was born) so we just called him Ducky as he was baking. Once he was born the nickname just kind of stuck, so the wife bought him a ducky cap. She put it on his head and said "Hello Ducky" and he gave her that look. It was classic!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Korlac posted:

So before he was born my wife didn't want to use his real name (she was worried it would be bad luck to tell anyone his name before he was born) so we just called him Ducky as he was baking. Once he was born the nickname just kind of stuck, so the wife bought him a ducky cap. She put it on his head and said "Hello Ducky" and he gave her that look. It was classic!
...man, playing through The Walking Dead is gonna be rough for you. :ohdear:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Anella d'Lyrandar aka Kanea

Anella d'Lyrandar is proof that even someone without a dragonmark can perfectly exemplify their house. Anella channels lightning or wind with a skill seldom seen even amongst her House. Her work as a bounty hunter in Stormreach tell of her determination. But even the greatest wanderers eventually grow tired of sleeping in the rain and mud and eventually move on to more comfortable pastures. Anelle is to work with Sharn Watch Advanced Tactics Squad, in a move from the frying pan into the fire. But even the part in between had it's heat - her airship had been attacked, and a number of passengers killed before driven off.

Or at least, that's what it seems. In fact, Anelle had been knocked from the ship, to fall thousands of feet to the ground below and certain doom. And in the confusion of battle, Kanea found her chance to better her position. The changeling had been in trouble - after all, Anelle (along with a number of others) had been trying to capture or kill her for months now, after her theft of a number of rare documents from the House Lyrandar enclave in Stormreach. By taking over her life, Kanea would be in an even better position to take even more interesting volumes from House Lyrandar in Sharn. All she had to do was pretend to be Anella for a month or two - how hard could it be?

Piell fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 13, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Background added for my submission!

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
You can take me out. I've got a roll20 game starting next week that will get my fix in and I'd rather someone else get to play a PbP that wants to!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, recruitment is now closed. This has been a difficult decision and I ran through a few different compositions in my mind. For those who didn't get in, good luck with other games.

Really Pants as Anodyne
Thundarr as Malakhad
Korlac as Jerac
Captain Walker as Enna Carreth
Ovo as Ghorma

Game thread is here

In the mean time go ahead and put together a combat block like this (shamelessly stolen from Ovo).
pre:
Name(link to Orokos)   						 
HP: XX/XX (THP: )        AC:   XX    Passive Insight: XX
Surges: XX/XX (V:XX)     For:  XX    Passive Perception: XX
Initiative: +X   	 Ref:  XX    Action Points: X
Speed: X   	         Will: XX    

At Will             	Encounter             	  Daily
Melee Basic Attack  	[ ]Encounter 1 	  	[ ]Daily 1
Ranged Basic Attack 	[ ]Encounter 2          [ ]etc.
At Will 1	    	[ ]Second Wind
At Will 2	      	[ ]etc.
etc.		        

Conditionals    
- etc.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 13, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
:woop:

pre:
Enna Carreth 						 
HP: 74/74 (THP:0)        AC:   24    Passive Insight: 25
Surges: 7/7 (V:18)       For:  20    Passive Perception: 27
Initiative: +10   	 Ref:  26    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7   	         Will: 23    

Encounter               Daily  	  	  	Items
[ ]Suprise Strike  	[ ]Spinning Blade Leap  	[ ]Boltshard Crossbow
[ ]King's Castle  	[ ]Go For The Eyes  	  	[ ]Sacrificial Shortsword
[ ]Tumble  	  	[ ]Knockout Blow  	  	[ ]Shadowdance Armor
[ ]Low Slash  	  	  	  	  	  	[ ]Cape of the Mountebank
[ ]Snap Shot
[ ]Acrobat's Escape
[ ]Darkstrider's Ambush
[ ]Second Wind

Basic Attacks/At-Wills
Shortsword MBA: melee 1, +18 vs. AC, 1d6+8
Hand-xbow RBA: ranged 15/25, +19 vs. AC, 1d6+10
Piercing Strike: melee 1, +18 vs. Ref, 1d6+8, shift 2 on hit
Sly Flourish: ranged 15/25 or melee 1, +18 vs. AC, 1d6+13

Gear
Adventurer's Kit
Glass Cutter
Thieves' Tools (+2 Thievery to open lock or disable trap)
Inquisitive's Kit (+2 Perception to search for something specific)
Footpads (+1 Stealth to move silently)
Camouflaged Clothing (+2 Stealth to blend in)
Dual Arrow +2 x1
Spider Bolt +3 x1

Conditionals
Sneak Attack: 1/turn, +3d8 damage to target granting CA
Hunter's Quarry: 1/enc, designate nearest enemy as quarry until EOMNT; 1/turn, +2d6 damage to quarry
Darkstrider's Edge: +7 damage against foes I'm hidden from or who haven't acted yet
Sharpshooter Talent: +1 hit with crossbows
Improved Cunning Sneak: When I end movement more than 2 squares away with concealment or cover, free Stealth check to hide
Sense Threat: Allies with lower initiative than me gain +2 racial bonus

Features
Cunning Sneak (Improved): No penalty to Stealth for moving more than 2 squares. 
First Strike: CA and +7 damage against all foes who haven't acted yet in a fight
Dark Action: On AP, +4 to all defenses until EOMNT
Expert Sneak: Deafened, slowed, immobilized, or weakened foes grant CA
Outlaw: In City, ignore difficult terrain and can't be tracked
Wild Step: Ignore difficult terrain when shifting
Sense Threat: Roll Perception for initiative; 
Wood Elf Reactive Stealth: If any cover or concealment when I roll initiative, free Stealth check to hide
Disclaimer and request: I am male, but I was interested in playing a hard boiled lady detective who doesn't take poo poo from nobody. Basically, Renegade FemShep. So if I run up against the Don't Be A loving Creep rule and somehow don't realize it, please let me know, I like my forums account.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 26, 2013

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pre:
Anodyne   						 
HP: 81/81 (THP: )        AC:   25    Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 10/10 (V:20)     For:  25    Passive Perception: 16
Initiative: +5   	 Ref:  26    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6   	         Will: 23    Arcane Empowerment: 1
Residuum:  250

At Will             	Encounter             	  Daily
Magic Weapon    	[ ][ ]Healing Infusion 	[ ]Punishing Eye
Thundering Armor 	[ ]Burning Weapons      [ ]Corrosive Sigil
        	    	[ ]Shocking Feedback    [ ]Radiant Sigil
        	      	[ ]Gale-Force Infusion  [ ]Sigil of Luck
			[ ]Greater Magic Weapon [ ]Battle Staff
			[ ](Alchemist Item)
			[ ]Swift Mender
			[ ]Aqua Regia
			[ ]Warforged Resolve
			[ ]Second Wind

Conditionals   
Warforged Resilience:  +2 to saving throws vs. ongoing damage effects
Arcane Rejuvenation:  Any ally who uses a magic item daily power gains 10 temporary HP
Brutal Enchantment:  Any bonus to damage rolls granted by me also makes your weapons
(but not implements) Brutal 1. Add "r1" to your weapon damage dice on Orokos, like this:
1d6r1+11

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
~

Ovo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 13, 2013

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Wow, I didn't realize how many freaking encounter powers I'd end up with.

pre:
Jerac   						 
HP: 104/104 (THP:  )     AC:   29    Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 12/12 (V:27)     For:  24    Passive Perception: 18
Initiative: +11   	 Ref:  27    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6   	         Will: 23    

Encounter               Daily
[ ]Second Wind          [ ]Dance of the Sword
[ ]Guardian's Counter   [ ]Sword of the Shielding Fire
[ ]Promise of Storm     [ ]Arcane Deflection
[ ]Sword of Sigils
[ ]Channeling Shield       At-Will
[ ]Dimensional Vortex   [-]Sword Burst
[ ]Acid Surge           [-]Booming Blade
[ ]Insightful Warning      -Close Blast 2 due to Resounding Thunder
[ ]Dazing Rebuke        [-]Aegis of Shielding
[ ]Reactive Surge
[ ]Tempest Burst
[ ]Phylactery of Action (Item)
[ ]Boots of the Fencing Master (Item)
[ ]Drowmesh of Aegis Expansion (Item)
[ ]Sentinel Marshal Honor Blade (Item)

Conditionals:
-When I hit an enemy marked by me with an Arcane attack power, I gain 2 Temp HP.
-When I complete an extended rest, I gain 1d8 Temp HP.
-When I shift, I gain a +1 item bonus to AC and Reflex until the end of my next turn.
-When I reduce a nonminion enemy to 0 hit points, I gain 7 Temp HP.
-When I use an action point I can manafest any element.

Resistances:
8 Fire
8 Thunder
8 Cold
15 Lightning
15 Acid

Korlac fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Congrats to the ones who got in!

• Locked thread