Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Hey all, I am going to have to drop out of the game. Death in the family and work have made it hard for me to post much or at all and I don't want to drag the game down by never being around. the game was a ton of fun to play in and you were great players. Sorry all, great game idea Kurieg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Sorry to hear that Ovo, and I hope that things get better for you.

Looks like Ghorma's sponsorship is going to get pulled by Cazal.

As a result, Elliot played by Trier will be taking his spot.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Hey all! Psyched to be here. Sorry to Ovo about the death in the family, that's harsh as hell. Wish this was under less grim circumstances.

Stat block:
pre:
Elliot  						 
HP: 77/77 (THP: )        AC:   23    Passive Insight: 23
Surges: 8/8 (V:19)	 For:  21    Passive Perception: 14
Initiative: +7   	 Ref:  24    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6   	         Will: 26    

At Will             	Encounter             	Daily
Melee Basic Attack  	[ ]Dragonfrost	  	[ ]Fortune's Reverseal
Ranged Basic Attack 	[ ]Witchfire		[ ]Roaring Storm of CAnia
Eldritch Strike	    	[ ]Ethereal Stride	[ ]Curse of the Black Frost
Eyebite		      	[ ]Otherwind Stride
Misty Step		[ ]Fate's Frayed Thread
Warlock's Curse		[ ]Last of the Long Night
Ethereal Sidestep	[ ]Painful Delusion
Spiteful Glamor		[ ]Second wind
Darkspiral Aura		

Conditionals    
Gloves Of Ice: Your cold attacks gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls
Frost Accurate Dagger: All damage dealt by this weapon is cold damage
Rhythm Blade Accurate Dagger: Your shield bonus to AC and Reflex increases by 1
Insidious Curse: When an enemy under your Warlock's Curse drops to 0hp, 
You can place a Warlock's Curse on the enemy nearest to you as an immediate reaction. 
If the nearest enemy is already affected by your Curse, you can slide it 2sq,
and it takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn

Trier fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 7, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'll introduce your character once we're done with the interrogations/impromptu marx brothers sequence we've stumbled into.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

We kind of lost some steam here with the holidays and other busy schedules.

Would you like to fast forward a bit to Fuller's Hideout, or do some more investigation at the police station?

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Kurieg posted:

We kind of lost some steam here with the holidays and other busy schedules.

Would you like to fast forward a bit to Fuller's Hideout, or do some more investigation at the police station?

I'm voting for Fuller's hideout!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm all for hitting the hideout. Can't let that book just sit around where any flamboyant guy can pick it up.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Man, I'm just waiting for Interesting poo poo to happen and reacting accordingly. Let's go raid a secret lair!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sure, let's go.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alright, also I would suggest getting in your wishlists, for reasons.

As a reminder, two items with a level between 11 and 14 (or lower if you really want)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Armor of Dark Deeds +3 (L14) and either the Stone of Wind (L12) if Rare items are allowed, or Assassin's Cloak +3 (L14) if not.

Ennapost later, trying to decide if I want to hate Elliot for stealing my take-no-poo poo thorny rose bit, or if I approve of diversifying this sausage fest.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Of course, now that Ovo's game is dead, I'm at imminent risk of death here too :negative:

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Captain Walker posted:

Of course, now that Ovo's game is dead, I'm at imminent risk of death here too :negative:

Ugh, that 2 couldn't have come at a worse time.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I'm going out of town for the weekend, will be back monday.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Looks like you guys are going to skill check your way into another combat encounter soon. Though I'll give Pants and Walker a chance to at least improve your positions before it starts.

That said: I've had a death in the family recently so I will most likely be out of town and without internet this weekend. I've got the map and creatures all ready to go I just might not be able to start things right away.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you guys are busy and can't post for a while, that's fine, just let me know, or post in the MIA thread. I'm trying to be accommodating, but four days of dead air is a bit much.

Is there some kind of hard limit time frame that I can hold you guys to that you're comfortable with?

Also: if I have to skip someone twice I will probably look for a replacement.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alright It looks like Trier is gone for good, and we're approaching the end of this plot arc. Would you all prefer we puppet him along until a better point in the plot for you guys to get replacements, or do you want to open up recruitment now and retcon in the new guy?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If we're almost done with the hideout, it can probably wait a bit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This is the last fight of the Hideout. There's one more investigation bit and one more combat before the end of this 'adventure'. The beginning of the next adventure has a pretty good plot reason to introduce a new character.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Eh, we have one of each it can wait a bit.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
If I may be so bold as to ask...is it going to be someone who already apped, or could I submit an app?

I was going to the first time around, but it was about 3 minutes to deadline and I still had no magic items and scrapped it :shobon:

Totally understandable if you'd rather pick from the already-substantial pool.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'll open up recruitment later for everyone. I'd prefer everyone re-app then, since there may be leveling involved.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, let's just continue on for now until the next point where it'd be sensible to bring a new player in.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Apparently I missed the call for wishlist items a while back :v:. An Accurate Staff of the Impregnable Mind and a Ring of Mental Power would both be swell.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'll just leave this here.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I was really hoping for you to use that picture :allears:

Fake e: I mean it's basically Eberron.jpg and no decent game in the setting can avoid it

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

For lack of any better plans I'll start the train operation tomorrow.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm out of town, but I'll make an attempt at phone posting later. Either way, the drow is too far away fur me to throw a Force Grasp at so somebody else may want to stop him before he calls in reinforcements.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Breland Needs You!

We need a new player to replace Trier, setting information is in the OP and 2nd post. Since the party is going to be levelling up as soon as this adventure is over, creation rules are as such. We've got one of each role so far, so make what you want. Though I would suggest reading over the game so far.

Characters
12th level, standard gold and magic items, 22 point buy, inherent bonuses. Free Expertise, Improved Defenses, and Melee Training/Weapon Proficiency. Backgrounds and Themes are okay. I know it's Eberron but No Dragonmarks, even the weakest ones just set a bad precident.

Stuff from other settings is also okay, if you need help figuring out how to fit your Thri-Kreen or Mul into Eberron, let me know.

Also the scope of the game is going to be expanding, if you want to be a visiting detective from one of the other nations, or a member of the Kings Citadel(Breland FBI) or Dark Lanterns(Breland CIA) go for it. This is a police procedural, having visiting detectives from other shows agencies come in and muddle things up had to happen eventually.

I've got PMs and I'm in #SAInMourning on synirc if you have any questions or concerns.

Since we don't need this immediately, and 4e is bound to be popular, Recruitment is Open until April 7th, Noon CDT.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 31, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Looks awesome! I'll try to have a character ready to submit sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Asterion Furobos, Minotaur Murdertrain Agent of the Swords of the King's Citadel

Life's full of twists and turns, like a labyrinth weaving this way and that. And yet, also like a labyrinth, there is but the one path for each of us, and so, despite the surprised looks that a former mercenary from Droaam is serving in the King's Citadel, much less be decorated for it, Asterion is that minotaur, and he takes his duties as seriously - or possibly more so - as his fellow agents. His axe, horns and hooves are dedicated to protecting Breland and its citizen with unwavering devotion.

Asterion had always been a bit of an oddball among his kin. An adherent of Dol Arrah in particular (after a missionary of the Sovereign Host travelled through Droaam in his youth), duty and selflessness were always foremost in his mind, during his training and career as a mercernary alike. He had a stubbornness for protecting innocents (children in particular), even despite his lack of compunctions with killing those able to defend themselves (though nobody's able to do so for long). Collateral damage on his jobs were minor at worst, though usually completely non-existent.

It was during the riots at Graywall, a decade or two ago, that Asterion truly proved himself for the King's Citadel. Tanks to the involvement of some of the Droamese warlords, the rioteers had to be met with action from the Shields; though Asterion had no particular job at the time, he tasked himself with aiding in the evacuation of merchants and civilians; Brelandian and Droamese alike. Some of the instigators noticed this, and called him a traitor; he mowed them down and resumed his job. The local Shield supervising special agent, an old veteran by the name of Darius Oakley, noticed him in turn, and once the riots were put down, promptly hired Asterion on the spot - though quickly decided he was a better fit for the Swords.

Over the years, the minotaur has become a staple of the Swords. In overt action, it's he that stands out the most, tall and intimidating as he is, and yet always putting his life on the line for that of innocent bystanders. That's not to say he doesn't fail; even the most honorable bull can't save everyone. But he's a solid agent, and the higher ups like him. He's a good face for the King's Citadel; ruthless in the face of adversity, unfaltering in the protection of the good.

And now, with this mess of exploding warforged and ancient artifacts, it's Asterion that steps forth once again. The Sharn Watch may be competent at their jobs, but the case has outgrown their scope. The Docent artifacts are a threat to all of Breland, and the King's Citadel has found it necessary to take their Swords to tracking down their origin, and terminate the danger with extreme prejudice.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Currently reading through the thread, and still have a little over 2k gold that I might spend on something still, but otherwise I am Resubmitting:

Benn, Half-Elf Knight

Benn is something of a traveling knight. He has traveled a number of lands, Sharn, Breland, Khorvaire, Thrane, even the Mournlands that one time. In his travels he has seen many lands and many things, making his way relying less on the strength of arm and more with sheer determination and physical grit. Of course a quick tongue and a hearty composition has seen him through more than his fare share of adventures. And in all that time he has learned one major thing. The world needs civilization, it needs laws and the enforcement of those laws. It needs for people to feel safe in their homes. He has honed his silver tongue and his unusual fighting style and has determined to bring law to the lawless.

After his travels, and his newfound resolution to bring law to the lawless, Benn returned to Sharn. Benn learned of the Sharn Watch and was determined to join, to enforce the laws of the land and protect the concept of civilization. His skills and earnestness has led to his being employed in the newly formed Sharn Watch Advanced Tactics Squad. Though he was not one of the five officers initially called upon for a special emergency meeting.

Stat block:
pre:
Benn  						 
HP: 103/103 (THP: )      AC:   29    Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 15/15 (V:25)	 For:  28    Passive Perception: 23
Initiative: +9   	 Ref:  22    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5   	         Will: 24    

At Will             	Encounter             	Daily
Melee Basic Attack  	[ ]Power Strike	  	[ ]Ioun's Revelation (Item)
Ranged Basic Attack 	[ ]Power Strike		[ ]Moradin's Blessing of Iron (Item)
Eldritch Strike	    	[ ]Glowering Threat	[ ]Instant Camptsite (Item)
Defender Aura	      	[ ]Ignore Weakness	
Defend the Line		[ ]Shield Block
Cleaving Assault	[ ]Clearheaded
Hammer Hands		[ ]Frontline Surge
Rope of Climbing (Item)	[ ]Inexorable Shift
Endless Canteen (Item)	[ ]Second wind

Conditionals    
Crippling Crush: I deal +6 damage whenever I slow or immobilize.
Hammer Rhythm: I deal +6 damage whenever I miss and would not normally deal miss damage.
Bludgeon Expertise: I push or slide 1 additional square with weapon attacks that push or slide.
Hammer Shock: My MBAs are Rattling, thus imposing a -2 penalty to hit for a round.
Vicious Advantage:  I gain CA against slowed or immobilized targets
World Serpent's Grasp:  If I hit a slowed or immobilized target I knock it prone.
Group Diplomacy:  Allies within 10 squares of me get a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy
Courtier:  I roll twice and take the better result when rolling Diplomacy, 
and roll Diplomacy in place of Bluff and Streetwise.
Moradin's Blessing of Iron:  If I am pushed by an enemy I can reduce the push by up to 2 squares,
and if an enemy pulls me and the pull leaves me adjacent to them I can make an MBA against them 
as an Opportunity Action.
Enduring Warrior:  When I drop an enemy to 0 hp I regain 6 HP.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 31, 2014

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Cassander Tyrel, Shade Paladin Soul Binder

If you were an assassin or spy working against Breland, Agent-Commander Cassander Tyrel was one of the last people you'd want to meet. A Dark Lantern operative specializing in counter-espionage, Tyrel was rarely one to stay his sword hand. In his mind, once a threat had been discovered, it demanded nothing but swift and merciless elimination. There was no room in his philosophy for concepts such as "negotiation". Needless to say, Cassander's ruthless disposition left him with a rather dark reputation - something he embraced eagerly. He enjoyed starting rumours that he was a reaper committing souls to the Keeper, that he was a demon that feasted on human flesh, or even that he was the half-human spawn of the Devourer himself. Aside from giving him a good laugh by scaring new recruits, he used such seemingly ridiculous rumours to great effect in his work. They planted the seeds of fear, and he knew he could count on his personality (and finely-honed interrogation techniques) to do the rest. A consummate professional, he knew that eliminating an enemy agent was as much about catching them as killing them, and fear was one of his best weapons in that arena.

Ultimately, Tyrel would come to find his supposed trafficking with dark powers more true than he'd wanted. While out on a mission, he and his men were ambushed by a group of Emerald Claw agents. What ensued was a savage battle from which none escaped. For each Claw man that fell, he lost one of his own. Finally, their soldiers all slain, Tyrel and the Claw captain stood locked in combat. Tyrel swung, but the other man proved faster, driving a blade between the plates of Tyrel's armour. Tyrel responded by hacking the man's head off. Unfortunately, the damage was already done. Tyrel yanked the blade out of his stomach and started trying to strip off his armour so he could properly tend to the wound, but it was not just steel that had pierced him. Poison, too, had already started to flow through his veins.

As he lay dying, he appealed to the gods to save him. He was unwilling to die like this - brought low by Karrnathi of all people. He had to live. He had to keep fighting. More than anything, he had to take revenge. Someone in the Emerald Claw had sent that hit squad after him and he vowed to see their head rot at his feet - he just needed to be alive for it.

One god answered him. The Shadow's voice whispered in his ear a deal. It said it was so moved by his plea that it was willing to offer him a second chance. It just needed one little thing: a piece of his soul. Desperate as he was, Tyrel accepted. Immediately, he felt the poison leave his body and his wound mend itself. He would live. Not only would he live, he was changed. His body was less than it used to be, but his newfound connection to the Shadow gave him strange powers. His body had become grey and smoky, and he found it easier to pass unseen. His eyes now pierced the darkness with the clarity of midday. And he could feel the lingering spirits of his slain men, thirsting for the same vengeance he did. With some effort, he eventually learned to manifest their spirits into forms solid enough to fight alongside him.

Though not obviously at first, Tyrel's bargain with the Shadow changed more than his body. As he became more attuned to his new nature, his temperament changed to match. He began to gain more of an appreciation for the subtler arts. His choleric tendencies gave way somewhat to cunning and clear-headedness. He would still be Breland's weapon, just more finely-honed than ever before.

Wol fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 31, 2014

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

"The Songbird of Sharn" Jediah Norik, Kenku Bard
(spy theme, Resourceful Mgician Paragon path, multiclass feats for Wizard and Warlock)

"Do you find my appearence surprising? Do not, there are many more of my kind in the lower districts, in the slums, the corners where no-one wants to look. It is good that the guild holds talent above all else, except maybe loyalty. And I am loyal to Sharn."

A member of the Entertainer's guild of House Phiarlan from an early age, Jediah initialy found work as a backup vocalist for other bards. Should one member's voice fail or break before an event, the Kenku was often required to sing for him. His skill at Ventriloquism even in song making him a valued member of the guild, if not necessarily a public one. Until of course an on-stage bard came down with a coughing fit mid-song, and Jediah continued regardless.

Post the revelation that he had been performing secretly for many years, he first took to the stage as a magician, dabbling in many arcane arts, complimented by simple misdirection he was eventually granted the stage name "The Songbird of Sharn" by high ranking officials of the House, but that was not all they wanted out of the bird-man. His skills at misdirection and ability to make anyone seem as though they were talking instead of him had thrusted him into the notice of the darker side of the house. The Serpent's Table had a new ally in the songbird, and the recently formed Sharn Watch Advanced Tactics Squad was something they must have eyes and ears in. With extra training in the arcane reaching from Bardic curses to Wizardry enchantments he applied, claiming that while thrilling: the life of an entertainer wasn't fulfilling enough and he wished to give back to the city which had given him so much.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Kurieg posted:

Also the scope of the game is going to be expanding, if you want to be a visiting detective from one of the other nations, or a member of the Kings Citadel(Breland FBI) or Dark Lanterns(Breland CIA) go for it. This is a police procedural, having visiting detectives from other shows agencies come in and muddle things up had to happen eventually..

What about Elf Batman? :allears:

Okay fine technically Elf Green Arrow, but I just wanna make sure "Vigilante" is not something I should just reskin as King's Citadel because it's too silly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you want to make the Leafy-Green Arrow, go right ahead.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Qin, Changeling Avenger of Boldrei and Dark Lantern Community Liason

One of the more unusual and unsung contributions to the defense of Sharn during the Last War came from an unexpected quarter; the organized crime families of the city’s lower wards. Being criminal scum does not, after all, prevent you from being a patriot, and whatever Clan Boromar or the Tyrant’s feelings about the law, Breland was, at the end of the day, the place where they kept all their stuff. Thus it was that the King’s Dark Lanterns found an unlooked for ally in the Tyrants, the changeling information brokers that rule Dragoneyes. Enemy spies infiltrating Sharn from Cyre and Aundair found themselves pinned between a rock and a hard place, beset by counterespionage action from both the Citadel and the underworld. In fact, the Tyrants owe much of their expansion during the War years to profitably subverting foreign agents, and many of the Dark Lanterns’ most promising recruits were drawn from the changelings of the lower wards.

Qin was raised to the King’s service from an early age. A child of one of the Chancellors Kilk, he was one of several changelings fostered to the state orphanages as part of an unwritten truce between the Citadel and the Tyrants. He was raised by priests and priestesses of the Sovereign Host, which instilled in him an early respect of the mechanisms or religion. At the age of twelve he was taken to the star chamber deep within the Citadel, where his training began in earnest. By the age of adulthood, he was already an accomplished spy and agent, and his ability to doggedly pursue an enemy through any conceivable situation was legendary. Despite his race and birth, his loyalty to the Crown is considered unquestionable.

With a foot in two very different worlds, Qin tries to keep his poise as he navigates a course between them. Never exactly a cop, he has no love for strict legalism, and views a certain level of civic corruption as a necessary component of modern society. At the same time, as a lifelong advocate of Boldrei, he has a deep love for home and hearth, for the communities and civil organizations that form the background of the city’s daily life. During the War he was a knife in the dark, protecting the people of Sharn from evils they never even knew existed. Now that the War is over, or at least paused, he takes a more subtle approach to weeding out the Crown’s enemies within the city.

Most recently, his excellent people skills have landed him the task of Community Liaison for the King’s Dark Lanterns. His new job is to forge alliances between the King’s information network and the other segments of the city’s official and unofficial governance, starting with cultivating contacts within the City Watch. It’s time to start making friends and influencinge people.

pre:
Qin

HP: 91/91 (THP: )      	AC:   30    	Passive Insight: 28
Surges: 7/7 (V:22)	Fort:  22    	Passive Perception: 26
Initiative: +11   	Ref:  27    	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6   	        Will: 29    

At Will             		Encounter             			Daily
Melee Basic Attack  	[ ] Abjure Undead/Divine Guidance 	[ ] Aspect of Might
Ranged Basic Attack 	[ ] Angelic Alacrity			[ ] Menacing Presence
Changeling Disguise	[ ] Sequestering Strike			[ ] Shadow Tricks
Overwhelming Strike	[ ] Chains of Censure			[ ] Wings of Angels
Bond of Pursuit		[ ] Radiant Rush			[ ] Majestic Word
Mage Hand		[ ] Changeling Trick
Prestidigitation	[ ] Resonant Escape
			[ ] Aspect of Agility		

Conditionals :
Oath of Enmity: I roll twice and use the highest against the target of my oath
if no other enemies are adjacent.
Oath of Pursuit: I deal 9 extra damage against my Oath’s target if it willingly
moves away from me.
Avenging Resolution: I treat all damage dice that are 1’s or 2’s as 3’s against
my Oath’s target.
Painful oath: I deal 5 extra necrotic and radiant damage the first time each
turn I hit my Oath’s target. 
Onslaught of Enmity: I shift 2 squares  towards the target each time I use my Oath.
Taunting Visage: I gain combat advantage against the target of my Oath if I take
its face using Changeling Disguise.
Bloodthirsty Greatsword: I have a +1 item bonus to attack rolls and +3 to damage
rolls against Bloodied opponents.
Heaven’s Shield: I have +1 to all defenses when I am at full hit points.
Action Point: When I spend an action point I get +1 item bonus to attack 
rolls and defenses until the end of my next turn and I or an adjacent ally can spend
a healing surge.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 2, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Donna, The Misplaced Mark (Halfling Storm Sorcerer)

I don't know poo poo about Eberron I need to do research or something

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 3, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Grisha, Shardmind Bounty Hunting Wizard Scholar of the Higher Magics

Grisha awoke in a display at the Morgrave University. The professors, perhaps, did not expect the Shard of the Living Gate to awaken within their life time, or did not even recognize the lump of red crystal for what it was. Nevertheless, it came as quite a shock to the students and teachers of the college when the newly sentient Shardmind suddenly assembled himself, broke through the glass, and began to telepathically ask everyone around it a multitude of questions about his new surroundings. Eventually, after the shock had subsided and the Watch had been called off, the Head of the Anthropological Department requested that the Shardmind stay on campus for a while to get its bearings, more as a way of enabling further study of the being than as an apology for stuffing it into a glass box for two decades and calling the city guard on it. After realizing that the Shard was gifted with an incredible aptitude for learning, the Head decided to offer the being the chance to study at the university. The Shardmind, now calling itself Grisha, agreed, and was enrolled into the academy for six years, where he studied the cultures of Khorvaire as well as the mysteries of arcane magic.

Unfortunately, on the day Grisha decided to leave out into the world and begin his life, he was hit with the bill for his tuition and board at the University. As it turned out, what the Head had offered was not even close to a free ride, and had kept it on the down-low while Grisha was enrolled. The total amount of money he owed to Morgrave University was close to 90,000 gold pieces. Forbidden from leaving Sharn until his debt was paid, Grisha was forced to immediately find employment. For fifteen years, the Shardmind labored, doing oddjobs for the residents of Sharn. He found it hard to hold down a job, perhaps in no small part due to his incredible naivety and inexperience when it came to interacting with mortals outside of a scholarly manner. He'd repeatedly gain a small amount of money and than lose it to a misfortune or misunderstanding. Eventually, when it seemed like his poverty would be perpetual, a solution presented itself.

While working at a small hedge magic shop in Dura as a cleaner, a man attempted to rob the store. Before he could escape with the stolen goods, Grisha used his magic to render the floor frictionless. The bandit began to slide around uncontrollably and collided with a wall, which knocked him unconscious. When the Watch came by to arrest the man, they handed Grisha a small pouch filled with fifty gold pieces. The robber, as it turned out, had a bounty on his head for theft. Quickly recognizing a new opportunity, he quit his job and became a bounty hunter. Using his magic to apprehend and track criminals down, he quickly made a small fortune as well as a name for himself. And when the Watch decided to offer him a potentially lucrative position in a newly formed squad, he leaped at the offer. After all, he was starting to enjoy his work greatly.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Araykoth Feurerwehr, Dragon Spy and Sharn Watchman

Araykoth doesn't remember much from before his father died. Most of what he does is constantly moving, the constant fear and misrust. He does clearly remember when he was 'adopted' not long after his father's death. Coming forth from the heavens, scaled in burning scarlet scales, with a undeniable presence of pride and intimidation. Araykoth didn't know why a red dragon took interest into him, but Garshilan, the dragon, made it clear that his adoption was not something Araykoth had any say in.

Raised in Argonnessen under Garshilan's strict parentage, taught to control power innate to his Araykoth was taught what he thought an odd eclectic range of topics before, when he came of age, the reason for it all. Garshilan wished to have Araykoth act as his hand in a place he couldn't go without drawing attention to himself and his actions. Set forth to Sharn with orders to join the Watch, Araykoth did so. From there it was years of no contact from Garshilan, during which Araykoth had simply done the job of watchman. He grew comfortable with his life, guarding the peace and the public, never doing anything to draw attention to himself. Araykoth thought that he might never hear from his adoptive parent again.

Which is why Araykoth was surprised that he both received a letter from his 'father' and a promotion on the same day. The letter simply said "I'm proud of you and your work so far, be sure and keep my up to date." Now Araykoth knows he's stepping into something his 'dad' wants to know about and will have to tread lightly as he does his duty to Sharn and Garshilan.

• Locked thread