Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
This exact thing happened to me earlier in the thread. I was told that not getting a letter is a huge red flag, and don't bring it up to your nose unless you are serious about leaving for the new job. Consider where you would be happier working before you say anything.

I stuck with my old job and I don't regret it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Deadite posted:

This exact thing happened to me earlier in the thread. I was told that not getting a letter is a huge red flag, and don't bring it up to your nose unless you are serious about leaving for the new job. Consider where you would be happier working before you say anything.

I stuck with my old job and I don't regret it at all.

I was just told five minutes ago that they'd give me a written offer tomorrow , they just wanted to get me the verbal today because HR took forever to get all the stuff approved. I'm kind of playing whisper down the lane because I'm using a head hunter.

I'd be super happy either place and either place would give me an amazing challenging career. So I'm 100% being loyal to the dollar.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Then I'd say talk to your boss. Just say you have been offered an opportunity elsewhere and you are considering taking it and see if your boss offers anything to get you to stay. If they don't then you can take the other job and you haven't lost anything.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wondering when I should ask for a raise.

I work for a private firm in management, and have been filling in on one of my days off as a delivery driver while my co-worker is out on medical leave. This was supposed to only be for a month, but there's complications with the co-worker's medical condition and now he's out indefinitely.

Would it be better to ask for a raise while he's still gone and use that as leverage, or do it when he returns? I'm getting burned out quickly with only one day off.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

EugeneJ posted:

I'm wondering when I should ask for a raise.

I work for a private firm in management, and have been filling in on one of my days off as a delivery driver while my co-worker is out on medical leave. This was supposed to only be for a month, but there's complications with the co-worker's medical condition and now he's out indefinitely.

Would it be better to ask for a raise while he's still gone and use that as leverage, or do it when he returns? I'm getting burned out quickly with only one day off.
Don't use your present importance as "leverage" unless you have some other job to go do. Otherwise you're just bluffing.

Request a raise now, or a decrease in your time staffed. Maybe you can split the 6th day with someone else. Maybe you can explain you're feeling burned out after giving up extra time to this company and would like to see something for it. Maybe you can ask for a higher overtime rate because you're feeling burned out.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Bloody Queef posted:

I was just told five minutes ago that they'd give me a written offer tomorrow , they just wanted to get me the verbal today because HR took forever to get all the stuff approved. I'm kind of playing whisper down the lane because I'm using a head hunter.

I'd be super happy either place and either place would give me an amazing challenging career. So I'm 100% being loyal to the dollar.

Quoting myself to update the thread. My current boss wasn't really willing/able to play ball since people at the same level pretty much all get the same salary since we bill out at the same rate.

So I get where he's coming from, but I accepted the offer with the new company. 30% raise and trading half a year of 80+ hour weeks for only 4 weeks worth of that! So pumped!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

Quoting myself to update the thread. My current boss wasn't really willing/able to play ball since people at the same level pretty much all get the same salary since we bill out at the same rate.

So I get where he's coming from, but I accepted the offer with the new company. 30% raise and trading half a year of 80+ hour weeks for only 4 weeks worth of that! So pumped!
Congrats! Sounds like a great outcome.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So I'm in a bit of a funny situation at work, pay-wise. I applied for an internal position at the beginning of the year and was offered the role in March. The pay is actually 4k lower than what I'm on in my current role, but they've kept me on my current pay rather than lowering it (I don't think they're allowed to lower it). I applied for the new role since it seems to have much better prospects, a more obvious career path and potential for higher pay in the future.

3 months on and I still haven't moved into the new role. They've gotten as far as posting the new position on job sites and this is why I'm wondering about asking for a raise. The job advertised is obviously a carbon copy of my current position, I have all the essential skills, even all the non-essential skills and the same experience. The only difference is the salary is about 12k higher.

So I'm kinda confused to what I'd be entitled to in this situation. While I am expected to move into a new role that actually has a lower salary on paper, the fact is that I am still in my current role and expect to be for quite some time considering how far along the hiring process they are. I've been told exactly how much a person with my skillset and experience should be earning and it seems that I should have already been earning this much. So should I ask for a bump up to this level of pay? I am moving into a new role, but as it stands, I'm still in the current position, underpaid.

In case it matters, I'm in the UK.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

sharktamer posted:

So I'm in a bit of a funny situation at work, pay-wise. I applied for an internal position at the beginning of the year and was offered the role in March. The pay is actually 4k lower than what I'm on in my current role, but they've kept me on my current pay rather than lowering it (I don't think they're allowed to lower it). I applied for the new role since it seems to have much better prospects, a more obvious career path and potential for higher pay in the future.

3 months on and I still haven't moved into the new role. They've gotten as far as posting the new position on job sites and this is why I'm wondering about asking for a raise. The job advertised is obviously a carbon copy of my current position, I have all the essential skills, even all the non-essential skills and the same experience. The only difference is the salary is about 12k higher.

So I'm kinda confused to what I'd be entitled to in this situation. While I am expected to move into a new role that actually has a lower salary on paper, the fact is that I am still in my current role and expect to be for quite some time considering how far along the hiring process they are. I've been told exactly how much a person with my skillset and experience should be earning and it seems that I should have already been earning this much. So should I ask for a bump up to this level of pay? I am moving into a new role, but as it stands, I'm still in the current position, underpaid.

In case it matters, I'm in the UK.

You might be better off asking in the UK megathread in terms of getting a quick response.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639177&pagenumber=8#lastpost

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Will do, thanks. Dunno if it's as relevant there as it is here though.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 4, 2014

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Got some answers from the other thread, spoke to HR, got a good enough resolution.

sharktamer posted:

So I spoke to HR, brought up the point the advertised salary was higher than what I'm making. Turns out what they're looking for and probably won't get is actually someone with a lot more experience than me, someone who would be given a higher salary to begin with. She mentioned that the role will probably need to be changed again to someone with a closer experience to my own, when that happens the salary would end up being more in line with what I'm earning.

That's a good enough answer for me, I really just wanted to make sure I wasn't being messed about with. I always feel so greedy talking about this type of thing, especially considering I was already allowed to keep my current salary rather than taking on the advertised lower rate of this new post.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I got a happy enough ending :).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's been about 5 months since I (and four other guys on my team) was promised a raise to come along with a promotion I got in January, and about a... month since my boss says he finally submitted the paperwork to get it approved.

At what point do I stop asking my boss about this and go straight to HR? He keeps giving me non-answers and I feel like I've been getting jerked around for a couple months now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would go to HR now and make sure you are getting back pay for the last 5 months as well.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Cool I just checked and HR couldn't even find a request in the system, while my boss maintains that he submitted it shortly after he talked to me about it like 3 weeks ago and he'd tell me when he hears something.

Ughhghgh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Cool I just checked and HR couldn't even find a request in the system, while my boss maintains that he submitted it shortly after he talked to me about it like 3 weeks ago and he'd tell me when he hears something.

Ughhghgh.

Sounds like it's either a mixup (your boss meant to but failed to do it properly) or utter complete bullshit (in which case you're hosed I guess?).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking it's probably a combination of the two. I'm gonna talk to him more about it when I do my semi-annual review in the next week or two.

poo poo's just frustrating as hell, I could really use that money and I'm really worried when I finally get it they're not gonna give me backpay so they really don't give a poo poo about dragging their feet on this, and no one is really taking any responsibility to pull for us.

Hate working for a goddamn major corp sometimes.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
I'm in a situation where I don't know if I'm coming across as entitled or not, so I thought I'd post here for a reality check. A quick timeline:

- About 5 years ago, start working for my company.
- About 2.5 years ago, I fail a difficult series of professional exams (actuarial). In my company, you have to find a different job if you can - I'm given a few months and get a more technical position that I'm honestly a better fit for and get a promotion and a raise.
- a year and a half after that, I ask my boss how I could improve to get a promotion. Despite being fairly new, I've got a lot of technical abilities that most of my peers don't and I'm handling a couple of high profile accounts. I basically get "nothing, you're doing great, you're definitely working above your pay grade!" No word comes about a payraise or promotion for a few more months and I start looking for another position. I am required to inform my manager when I have internal interviews per company policy. Before I get any offers I get an 8% raise (which brings me to 10% for the year after COLA). This brings us to about a year ago

- Shortly after that, we win a bid for a huge client. I'm asked to be the lead on it for my department. In addition to leading two other analysts I am also the point of contact and handle special projects and the more complex tasks. We had a huge project earlier this year where I was supposed to just tell our developers how we wanted things but had to fill in as a technical consult and do a lot of the design for the product - if I hadn't and the issues that existed went unaddressed, we would have faced a potentially huge fine, possible political fallout, and a huge black eye for the company and the department.

- at this point, I've been in this role for a little less than a year and I'm being paid about 20% below the average rate for my position and skillset based on online research and the company's own stated market rate. I talked to my boss abstractly about getting a promotion around review time but didn't have much leverage at that point so didn't have a serious discussion. Despite that, again, she agrees in principle and doesn't have any goals I should accomplish where we could talk about it seriously and I don't hear anything else about it.

I've been looking around at positions and have an interview soon, but I'm wondering if I'm playing hardball too much by looking for another position so soon. I don't want to come across as entitled for being relatively new and asking for more money so soon, but I genuinely think that for the work I'm doing I ought to be paid more. Should I set up a meeting with her (and maybe her boss, who controls the purse strings a lot more) this week and stake out my position as a mutual problem? At this point, I'd probably take slightly less at my current position than a new one due to non-salary considerations, so I'd legit like to stay where I am with a salary adjustment.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

StdNormDist posted:

I'm in a situation where I don't know if I'm coming across as entitled or not, so I thought I'd post here for a reality check. A quick timeline:

- About 5 years ago, start working for my company.
- About 2.5 years ago, I fail a difficult series of professional exams (actuarial). In my company, you have to find a different job if you can - I'm given a few months and get a more technical position that I'm honestly a better fit for and get a promotion and a raise.
- a year and a half after that, I ask my boss how I could improve to get a promotion. Despite being fairly new, I've got a lot of technical abilities that most of my peers don't and I'm handling a couple of high profile accounts. I basically get "nothing, you're doing great, you're definitely working above your pay grade!" No word comes about a payraise or promotion for a few more months and I start looking for another position. I am required to inform my manager when I have internal interviews per company policy. Before I get any offers I get an 8% raise (which brings me to 10% for the year after COLA). This brings us to about a year ago

- Shortly after that, we win a bid for a huge client. I'm asked to be the lead on it for my department. In addition to leading two other analysts I am also the point of contact and handle special projects and the more complex tasks. We had a huge project earlier this year where I was supposed to just tell our developers how we wanted things but had to fill in as a technical consult and do a lot of the design for the product - if I hadn't and the issues that existed went unaddressed, we would have faced a potentially huge fine, possible political fallout, and a huge black eye for the company and the department.

- at this point, I've been in this role for a little less than a year and I'm being paid about 20% below the average rate for my position and skillset based on online research and the company's own stated market rate. I talked to my boss abstractly about getting a promotion around review time but didn't have much leverage at that point so didn't have a serious discussion. Despite that, again, she agrees in principle and doesn't have any goals I should accomplish where we could talk about it seriously and I don't hear anything else about it.

I've been looking around at positions and have an interview soon, but I'm wondering if I'm playing hardball too much by looking for another position so soon. I don't want to come across as entitled for being relatively new and asking for more money so soon, but I genuinely think that for the work I'm doing I ought to be paid more. Should I set up a meeting with her (and maybe her boss, who controls the purse strings a lot more) this week and stake out my position as a mutual problem? At this point, I'd probably take slightly less at my current position than a new one due to non-salary considerations, so I'd legit like to stay where I am with a salary adjustment.
No, you're not playing hardball at all by looking. You're finding out information by looking.

Also your boss has said that you work well above your pay grade, and when you've asked for constructive criticism, you got "do exactly what you do because it's worth more than we pay you."

This is an open and book "give me a raise" situation. You have abstract market data that suggests you're underpaid, you've done good work. Find out what else is out there. Have the discussion abstractly at first ("As you've said, I operate above my pay grade. Looking at market pricing data agrees with you. I'd like an adjustment so I can stay here."), but it's good to have an offer to fall back on as leverage or as a BATNA if rational discussion doesn't get you there.

Good luck!

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
That eases my mind a lot on the issue. I'm required to tell my boss about the interview due to company policy, so I've scheduled a one-on-one with her tomorrow to frame the issue as "Hey, based on my market info and comparing my responsibilities to [next highest position in job family] I think I'm worth $X amount. I'm trying to validate that by looking around, and my first interview is [soon]. I like the work I'm doing here and want to continue it, but I won't be able to turn down an offer that makes too much sense."

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

StdNormDist posted:

That eases my mind a lot on the issue. I'm required to tell my boss about the interview due to company policy

Is that a common policy in your field? It seems odd to me that you would need to tell your boss about only an interview. If you don't get an offer then your boss might feel justified in not giving you a raise.

I'm sure my boss would love to know that I have been interviewing, but that information is mine unless I choose to share it. What are the consequences of not telling your boss about the interview?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Internal interviews have to be disclosed (in my company anyway), but outside of that, it does seem wierd.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
Like LournReams' company, mine requires that internal interviews have to be disclosed to your manager, and my interview is internal. I've never heard of someone not doing so, but according to that policy it could result in you not getting the job.

It's really a challenge because in addition to that, your interviewing manager knows your salary and in a lot of cases the job application requires you to put in your minimum desired salary.

The only good thing is that my company is huge and my role isn't typically tied to one area, geographically. If you're really dead-set on getting another position with a raise in pay (and are worth it), it's a matter of time before it happens.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I get headhunter contacts all the time these days. Doesn't appear to be just fishing as the recruiters have appeared to read my LinkedIn account and added details relevant to the positions in reference to my qualifications. Is telling a recruiter I will only interview for greater than $xxx salary a good way to check my value on the market? I'd like to start thinking about increasing my pay and this seems like a good way to go. Thoughts?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

I wouldn't mess around with not disclosing an interview for another position internally. However, your gain from information asymmetry is extremely poor on every conceivable level; your offer will be anchored on your present salary, you'll have to disclose interviewing, and you'll also be tipping your hand about if you can and would move on.

If there's any conceivable way you can get an interview with another company who doesn't know your present salary, and where you don't have to disclose your interview, I highly recommend dedicating more time and energy in that direction.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
I've been lurking this thread for a while and I thought I should post and thank everyone for their questions and advice. Last year I was transferred to a new team where I've been developing a currently very in-demand skill set, and I believed that because of that and some other reasons I was a little underpaid compared to my peers. After our yearly performance reviews in February, I asked what I had to do to request a raise above and beyond the normal pool raise (I got the max 3%). Using advice from this thread I put together a constructive and non-threatening raise proposal including salary research from Glassdoor and several offers I had recently received from recruiters. It obviously took a while, since we're a new satellite office and no one had run a raise request by corporate before, but it was finally approved. Not only did I get the 10% I asked for, but I got promoted (since the request was out of my current salary band) and, since the worst they could do is say no, asked for and received the raise retroactive to the 1st (they wouldn't do from date of request). Thanks again thread!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

including salary research from Glassdoor and several offers I had recently received from recruiters.
I'll see something along these lines occasionally, that people get offers from companies that include compensation information, that seem to imply they didn't even interview or anything, and I'm just like, "...that actually happens?" I get contacted by recruiters all the time on linkedin but I basically never see any mention of compensation except for in very generic terms ("our compensation is highly competitive"). Is it just that at some point you have such an awesome skillset and reputation that other companies are just hurling money your way?

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

Cicero posted:

I'll see something along these lines occasionally, that people get offers from companies that include compensation information, that seem to imply they didn't even interview or anything, and I'm just like, "...that actually happens?" I get contacted by recruiters all the time on linkedin but I basically never see any mention of compensation except for in very generic terms ("our compensation is highly competitive"). Is it just that at some point you have such an awesome skillset and reputation that other companies are just hurling money your way?

For a little background, I guess I should mention I'm also a software engineer with a good skill set in a pretty talent-desperate city (Seattle) - I certainly don't mean to imply that this the norm for everyone, and I should have been clearer that they were not formal offers (more that should there be an offer, there were companies clearly willing to give me my requested figure). Also, I've only ever had one recruiter contact me with the salary range in the contact itself - they usually bring up hourly rates on the initial phone call. In fact, I haven't had a similar conversation since so it was just really great timing.

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
I started out in a large city as a project coordinator for a very large specialized contractor that is in high demand. I've moved 3 times in the course of 3 years, with my latest assignment as PM on a large project. I was based out of one area that I want to stay in, but, I agreed to help out one of our companies on short notice across the country, for about 8-9 months. After I finish this project, they have another even larger/complex project, located 2 hours from where I want to live. The project I'm on had lots of challenges, but is going well now and is about 10 hours away.

I started out at 45K and went up to 59K BEFORE I took this project I was told they would pay me more when I got out there. This of course did not happen after I got out there. In addition, I believe 59K is on the low end of what PM's make in this industry. I only have a few years experience, but my research from looking at companies on glassdoor and talking to other people, PM's make 75K-115K, so, I would be happy with 75k-80K, at least. I've worked in several different areas though on a wide variety of projects but still only have a few years experience.

One of the problems is that my GF, that I share an apartment with, just started a new job that pays pretty well in the city we've lived in for the last year and does not want to move, at least for a few years. There is also not a whole lot of other companies to go to in the city. I've only saw 3 other companies, which one of them has had two recruiters try to get me to go there and said their PM job was 85K-100K, however, I've heard bad stories about them and turned them down. The other, I don't know much about but they are much smaller. The third is one that I want to work for but they don't have any openings for what I want at the moment.

I've basically come down to I have a few options:
1) Finish up the project and talk to my boss about a review/promotion before I take the new larger project and hope it works out.
2) Jump ship to another company and hope it works out
3) Move after a few years to a new city

My boss in the area I'm based out of is ~4-5 years from retirement and makes probably 120k-140k. They have verbally mentioned they were setting me up for that position, but I have not seen anything in writing about it or heard much about it, except a few times. I'm obviously very skeptical, since what happened on this last project. I'm pretty pissed about moving across the country to help out and get boned on not getting any increase, even though I saw there was money in the budget for this project for it for ~80k salary.

I'm leaning towards option 1 and set up a meeting with my boss and/or his boss to make a development plan and negotiate more salary. If that doesn't work, I plan on looking at the company I want to work for more. If these both don't work out after 2-3 years, I would probably look at different cities and find a job that pays significantly more and where my GF could find work. The company I'm with is one of the largest in the industry, so, finding a new job wouldn't be that hard. I've had recruiters contact me about positions across the US.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I just got a call from a recruiter for an interview. It's for a position in my field with an unknown company, and the recruiter said this company brings people on at their current salary and then will pay a large bonus at the end of the year dependent on company performance.

Is that kind of offer attractive to anyone? I didn't contact the recruiter looking for a position, he contacted me. I already have a job I like so why would he think I would leave for a new company without an increase in pay?

Maybe this is more for the negotiating thread but can I use this situation to my advantage in any way? Right now all I can think is to go to the interview for interview experience.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's bullshit, he's just trying to get you for cheap. They have no way to know your current salary.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I told him that I make more than I actually do, but not enough to get me to change jobs. I think I will just use this as interview practice and see if I can get an offer letter for my records.

I just think it's a bizarre way to recruit: this guy isn't actively looking for a new job so why don't I contact him and see if he wants more work for the same pay. That's a formula for success!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Yeah this is totally just a way to get rubes on the cheap. Sounds like you're no rube, so go ahead and use him and his client for interview experience, pricing data, and whatever else might get you ahead. Don't hesitate to inflate your salary number to what you would be interested in walking for when talking with the company directly to see if they'll bite.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Thanks, I have another question about this process if anyone has experience with headhunters. He wants me to bring a list of references with me to the meeting with him, not with the company the job is for. At this point I don't even know what the name of the company is.

I really don't want to hand a headhunter a list of future leads, and his assurances that he won't call anyone until I have an offer is kind of meaningless given that I don't know the guy. Should I just tell him no when he asks for references? I have no idea why he would want them before I interview with the actual company other than he's fishing for more potential heads to hunt.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Deadite posted:

Thanks, I have another question about this process if anyone has experience with headhunters. He wants me to bring a list of references with me to the meeting with him, not with the company the job is for. At this point I don't even know what the name of the company is.

I really don't want to hand a headhunter a list of future leads, and his assurances that he won't call anyone until I have an offer is kind of meaningless given that I don't know the guy. Should I just tell him no when he asks for references? I have no idea why he would want them before I interview with the actual company other than he's fishing for more potential heads to hunt.

It is exactly what you think it is.. leads. In the past I have been asked for the same thing. I simply reply no. I think they they try to find out your team structure and get senior level contacts and try to move up the chain.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Some good reading in this thread, but I'm so not business-savvy so it's tough for me to get a lot of these ideas across to the people who matter.

My story:
I took a job at a startup and right off the bat, they really had me by the balls. I had been unemployed for 9 months and I needed some incoming cash flow so I took their initial offer of half of what I was making at my previous job. They even blatantly stated at the interview that they could only pay for a junior position and that they knew I was mid/senior level.
At my 30 day review, they said that in 6 months they were going to consider a raise, if they saw "urgency".

I have no idea how to talk business, especially to a CEO. So I mostly smiled and nodded. I collected my thoughts and sent an email with some points and concerns I had come up with after the talk. I never got a reply.

My six month review is coming up in about a month and a half and I'm really unhappy here. The majority of that unhappiness stems from the low salaried pay (I was given $500 more than the wage that legally requires to be paid overtime). The other portion comes from being stagnant here. I'm not really learning anything, a lot of work gets passed on to the higher up QA person (who plays LoL at home during all his free time, so he appears to be a completely dedicated bad rear end as he's always logged into our chat and has his laptop open basically whenever he's awake). All this is compounding and making me lose a lot of my drive, interest and urgency. Uhhg, it sucks.

I have no idea what to say to this guy in a month, but I feel like I'm really losing any grounds for asking for a realistic salary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Dude you should consider heading over to the interview and resume thread.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

DevCore posted:

I have no idea what to say to this guy in a month, but I feel like I'm really losing any grounds for asking for a realistic salary.

The phrase you're looking for is "see you later, shitlord." You have an entire month to a) :yotj: and b) learn the moonwalk so you can exist his office in style.

Get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
I am in kind of a weird situation and I need some advice on how to approach this.

Since May we've lost a lot of people as the job market has improved and people found other better paying jobs. In doing so, this opened up opportunities for me to assume additional responsibilities and move up in seniority (after only 2.5 years on the job I am right in the middle in seniority).

The problem is the way my company does raises, they allot $X to the department and allow department managers to distribute the amount as a raise. How much is allotted is decided way above my boss' head and at our main office (we're a branch office) and they cannot request more even if they feel someone deserves it. The raises are given out a month or so after the FY end review (mine is coming up later this month and it should go well).

I have salary information but the spread is so wide (~$30k on up to $100k+ and I make $37) that its almost useless. I have a list of my accomplishments and where my regular job responsibilities are outside the job description to back me up. What else can I do or say which would help me get a decent raise? Bear in mind that my boss, and even his boss are not likely able to get more money from the main corporate office.

• Locked thread