Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, boy! The Reluctant Hero!

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Edit Update at the bottom of the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

"It's like he's afraid of losing pokemon"

Gamefreak it's called foreshadowing not hitting you in the face with a plot brick. I've never even played this game and can tell that character aspect is going to get annoying fast.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Okay, I will say this - holy gently caress that is a spread for so early in the game. Is that because of the Black/White data or is it just that drat good?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's all there normally. Except for Mawile, of course. Riolu's very rare from what I recall as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Galick posted:

Okay, I will say this - holy gently caress that is a spread for so early in the game. Is that because of the Black/White data or is it just that drat good?
That's one thing they really took to heart. After people complained about not many options at a time in B/W, B2/W2 gives you an absolutely absurd number of options. (X/Y did as well. So signs point to this being a lesson that Nintendo actually learned.)

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

And since they're now using the whole pokedex for this game right from the get go, its only going to get better. Some of the early areas are pretty insane from what I remember.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
B/W2's range of pokemon is great, especially compared to B/W. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I know one of Red's favorites becomes accessible much, much earlier in the game as well

I'm heck of excited for two parts of this game though and the reaction, and the first one'll be coming up verrry soon

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LeafyOrb posted:

"It's like he's afraid of losing pokemon"

Gamefreak it's called foreshadowing not hitting you in the face with a plot brick. I've never even played this game and can tell that character aspect is going to get annoying fast.

I don't know if this is the STUPIDEST part about Black 2's writing but it is pretty goddamn stupid.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's all there normally. Except for Mawile, of course. Riolu's very rare from what I recall as well.

Actually, one of the best things about this and subsequent generations is that "rare" Pokemon pop up much more frequently. The rarest Pokemon in previous generations would pop up maybe 1% of the time, but now the lowest it gets is 5%. Of course, that's because GF introduced another tier of rarity with the shaking grass/dust clouds/whatevers, but the end effect is that when you walk through tall grass, you're more likely to see the actual full range of local Pokemon.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Actually, one of the best things about this and subsequent generations is that "rare" Pokemon pop up much more frequently. The rarest Pokemon in previous generations would pop up maybe 1% of the time, but now the lowest it gets is 5%. Of course, that's because GF introduced another tier of rarity with the shaking grass/dust clouds/whatevers, but the end effect is that when you walk through tall grass, you're more likely to see the actual full range of local Pokemon.

Not only did it introduce more frequent rare pokémon but also gave people the chance to catch good pokémon at the beginning of the games.

Riolu/Lucario been really good pokémon that I didn't use much due getting them right near the end of the game where your team is well established and you don't want to train another pokémon from the beginning. But B2/W2 brought them to the start of the game and this made the games worth getting if nothing else.

The season thing wasn't that big of a problem but was annoying that it changed the rarity of pokémon for several months at a time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blue Ghost posted:

The season thing wasn't that big of a problem but was annoying that it changed the rarity of pokémon for several months at a time.

But Black did the same thing? :confused: If nothing else, it should at least be distressingly familiar.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

KataraniSword posted:

But Black did the same thing? :confused: If nothing else, it should at least be distressingly familiar.

A thing can be a mistake in both games :ssh:

I also enjoyed how B2/W2 shuffled things around and gave me a bunch of ordinarily late-game critters I otherwise wouldn't have used.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

KataraniSword posted:

I don't know if this is the STUPIDEST part about Black 2's writing but it is pretty goddamn stupid.

I don't know, it's not that bad. Here you have this guy running off angst and obsessed with his younger sister that absolutely nobody takes seriously at all. It's almost self-aware parodying of the tried and true anime protagonist.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm liking how you do a different art style for each pokemon you catch.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I just realized that Vinny is going to be either pretty happy or pretty furious with one of the earlier gyms and it's leader.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I just realized that Vinny is going to be either pretty happy or pretty furious with one of the earlier gyms and it's leader.
I'm really looking forward to his interaction with the first gym leader.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Riolu can be taught Vacuum wave, so it fearing vacuums made me smile. Shoots out tiny hadoukens then hides like a chihuahua after it hears the noise...

Volty
Jul 25, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm liking how you do a different art style for each pokemon you catch.

Seconding this hard, I really appreciate varying up the art. It's a really interesting way to add more flavor to catching things!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I am really liking the differnet take on capturing a pokemon. Do miss the Red, HulkaMatt, and Zorak comments about them, but that's what the previous game was for.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yes, a Mareep! I hope he is a mainstay of your team Red :neckbeard:

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes, a Mareep! I hope he is a mainstay of your team Red :neckbeard:

Oh yes. Mareeps are the best Pokemon.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Yo this is wonderful. I really love it. A lot.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, the artwork has always been my favorite part of these LP's, and the new styles are sweet.
I'd love to see some excerpts from Alder's book, I think it'd be a fun read.

Is it a coincidence that Vinny and X from the manga are both shut-ins who had no desire to go on Pokemon journeys but get forced into it anyways?
I know the motivations are different, I just noticed that bit of similarity.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

There's a Pokemon Special character whose loving name is "X"?

The different styles for every Pokemon is great on its own, and also because it makes me think Vinny is carrying multiple backpacks full of art supplies to illustrate each of his new captures in a new style. Either that or he's really really good with a pencil.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The player character stand-ins in the manga take their names from the games, even Black 2 (Lack-Two) and White 2 (Whi-Two).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

pospysyl posted:

I DISAGREE. The shaking grass mechanic was a total pain in the dick, because the encounter tables were ridiculously skewed and you couldn't summon shaking grass on command the same way you could just walk/surf through areas. There's one area where there are three possible shaking grass encounters, but the distribution is like 90%/5%/5% and I went through 40-50 encounters without seeing that last one. Still, in a general sense, B2/W2 vastly improved upon the variety of monsters available from B1/W1.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

StandardVC10 posted:

I DISAGREE. The shaking grass mechanic was a total pain in the dick, because the encounter tables were ridiculously skewed and you couldn't summon shaking grass on command the same way you could just walk/surf through areas. There's one area where there are three possible shaking grass encounters, but the distribution is like 90%/5%/5% and I went through 40-50 encounters without seeing that last one. Still, in a general sense, B2/W2 vastly improved upon the variety of monsters available from B1/W1.

Not to even bring up the water ripples. If you see one, you're getting a Basculin. Nothing else exists in those.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

StandardVC10 posted:

Through all of BWB2W2 I never encountered a single Audino, and never realized that shaking grass was a thing pretty much until the last LP. I ran around in grassy areas whenever I found a new route so I could catch new Pokemon, but just never happened across a shaking spot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

You are a forums treasure sir.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Rude, but adorable :3:

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

And it begins. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So it's not so much as that Team Plasma guy got away as that Vinny didn't give two shits about him in the first place, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

More undulating tongues? :gonk:

I kid, this is way better than the first. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pyroi posted:

Not to even bring up the water ripples. If you see one, you're getting a Basculin. Nothing else exists in those.

That's hardly fair.

Nothing else exists in the water period. Fishing is not a very profitable source of food in Unova, as 100% of the fish want to bite your face off and/or call you a stupid dog.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hurrah, Neddy's here to make an already great thread even better. :)

I look forward to what Mawile can do, I appreciate how strange the design is but at the same time its repulsive.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Wait, is Mareep's tailbob a chunk of amber? How the heck did I not know this before?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MissileWaster posted:

Through all of BWB2W2 I never encountered a single Audino, and never realized that shaking grass was a thing pretty much until the last LP. I ran around in grassy areas whenever I found a new route so I could catch new Pokemon, but just never happened across a shaking spot.

Wow, I can't imagine playing White/White2 without Audino grinding. At least tell me you noticed the dirt clouds in caves(items or Drilbur/Excadrill), and the shadows on those two bridges (EV boosting Wing items or Ducklett/Swanna).
EDIT: Also, it just occurred to me, there is a very awesome Pokemon, one of my all time favorites, available very early in B2/W2. Hopefully Red uses it. I don't want to say what it is though, because I guess other than plot, what old Pokemon show up and where would be the biggest spoilers here.

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 17, 2013

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Spatula City posted:

Wow, I can't imagine playing White/White2 without Audino grinding. At least tell me you noticed the dirt clouds in caves(items or Drilbur/Excadrill), and the shadows on those two bridges (EV boosting Wing items or Ducklett/Swanna).

Yeah, I used a Drilbur in 1, and definitely caught a Ducklett in both games. And even after I found out about rustling grass I still hardly ever found any, especially compared to the dirt clouds in caves and the shadows on bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

I look forward to what Mawile can do, I appreciate how strange the design is but at the same time its repulsive.

Mawile's design is based off of a youkai (supernatural entity) from Japanese mythology called the futakuchi-onna, literally translating to "two-mouthed woman".

Futakuchi-onna are typically human women who have been afflicted by a supernatural condition, usually linked to starvation. In many stories, the mouth forms to counteract their minimal diet, the second mouth forms on the back of the head, using its hair like serpents to feed itself twice what the normal mouth would have. In some tales the mouth has a mind of its own, mumbling spiteful things, threatening, and demanding food.

One typical story about the futakuchi-onna is that of a stingy miser who in his miserly state could not bear to take a wife given he'd have to pay for his food.

One day he met a woman who ate almost anything (if not anything at all), and immediately took her as his wife. Because she never ate anything, and was still a very hard worker, the miser was thrilled with her; on the other hand, his stores of rice were steadily decreasing, making him suspicious.

One day when he pretended to leave for work, he instead stayed behind and hid in order to spy on his new wife. To his horror, he saw his wife's hair part on the back of their head, her skull splitting wide to reveal a gaping second mouth. She unbound her hair, which reached out like tentacles to grab rice and shove it into her hungry mouth.

In other stories though, the futakuchi-onna's second mouth forms when a woman lets her stepchild die of starvation while keeping her own offspring wel fed; as a result, the spirit of the neglected child lodges itself in its stepmother's body for revenge. In some stories the mouth is formed when the woman is accidentally hit in the back of the head by her husband's axe while chopping wood, the wound forming the second mouth.

Obviously the Pokemon intermixes this with the concept of camouflage in animals, Mawile using its cute face to hide the fact that it can tear you in half with its huge rear end back-mouth.

Another fun fact: Chorocojo has his own futakuchi-onna as part of his Arazancar monster project.

• Locked thread