Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I loved the appearance of Mawile ever since Ruby when I first saw it, but I've never added him to my team. He violate my "All non legendary team members must evolve" rule. I admit it's silly, but I've been doing it since Red. As such, I'm excited to see the strength of another monster I overlooked. That's why Red's LPs are always entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zorak posted:

Mawile's design is based off of a youkai (supernatural entity) from Japanese mythology called the futakuchi-onna, literally translating to "two-mouthed woman".

[snip]Lots of interesting information read on page 6 if you have the standard amount of posts per page[/snip]

Another fun fact: Chorocojo has his own futakuchi-onna as part of his Arazancar monster project.

Thank you, this is very interesting. The "gown" like body of Mawile did always make me suspect there was some Japanese cultural influence but I never knew what.
Reading that, why on earth did they make it steel typed? Is that specifically for the whole nature it's not what it looks like thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SonicRulez posted:

I loved the appearance of Mawile ever since Ruby when I first saw it, but I've never added him to my team. He violate my "All non legendary team members must evolve" rule. I admit it's silly, but I've been doing it since Red. As such, I'm excited to see the strength of another monster I overlooked. That's why Red's LPs are always entertaining.

Yeah, also I never use previous gens pokemons, so it's always nice to see old pokes again.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Thank you, this is very interesting. The "gown" like body of Mawile did always make me suspect there was some Japanese cultural influence but I never knew what.
Reading that, why on earth did they make it steel typed? Is that specifically for the whole nature it's not what it looks like thing.

Because it's also a walking beartrap.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Zorak posted:

Because it's also a walking beartrap.

I knew about the youkai part, but I never considered that angle. Pretty cool.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Zorak posted:

Another fun fact: Chorocojo has his own futakuchi-onna as part of his Arazancar monster project.

This is pretty cool, but what is it exactly? I've been following Orbital Grouse for a while though I haven't heard of this before.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Should have an update in a bit. Been busy with work.

Cerony posted:

This is pretty cool, but what is it exactly? I've been following Orbital Grouse for a while though I haven't heard of this before.

It's a side thing me and forums user "Good Listener" have been doing every October for the past four years. Eventually it started getting a life of its own. There are plans for it in the future. For now they mostly show up on our stream when we do draw time.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 20, 2013

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#04. Backtrack, Back Again.

Hey, yeah, no problem. Just throwing this out there, no reason or anything: security system.

Oh, jeez. That's still happening, isn't it.

Music: Pokémon Black - Champion Alder

*grumble grumble*

Yeah, you didn't say there were jerks out there that would pick fights.

to help me."

Whatever, no training for me.

. . . Orphans.

. . . . tough. . .

losing as well."

"Orphans! Lose! Lose with all of your heart!"

Choro Notes: These two are basically more tutorial: the boy has the monkey weak to your starter, the girl has the one strong to it.

. . . you needed to learn how to do that?

Choro Notes: Counter goes last but deals double the damage dealt to the user by physical attacks that turn to the target. Some guys can pull this off better than others.

Well, according to type theory it just doesn't stack up, huh?

"You know, in between the electricity-induced fits!"

It . . . it didn't do anything!

Nope, I'm out.

- - -

Choro Notes: Achievements unlocked? These are totally just achievements. They kind of own.

[>No.

WELL WHY DID YOU ASK?

First Step Medal - Participate in the Medal Rally!

Oh is . . . that it then?

"That jerk with the bow tie wasn't just here, was he?!"

Gym Leader has arrived there."

Yeah I'm going I'm going.

. . . tough . . .

- - -
Choro Notes: Medals
The medals do absolutely nothing, however they are the exact kind of achievements I like: You have your "do X number of battles" "compete in _______ X times" standard ones but there are also some . . . odd ones. The odd ones are the ones I like. I'll show the odd medals off when they come up.

Choro Notes: If Mr. Medal is standing by the Pokémon Center, you earned a medal. Congrats.

Dowsing Beginner - Find a hidden item for the first time.
Noneffective Artist - Use moves that aren't very effective against the opponent.
Beginning of Memory - Use Memory Link and see an event for the first time.

WHAT?

Oh geez, hi. Don't hurt me.

Choro Notes: At this point he tells you how to use berries. Great. GREAT.

"Are you listening? Because I just sorta drifted off and was going off whatever came to my mind."

Well. I like broads, so.

Also I guess that if the world gets broader there is less chance of running into that rear end, Hugh.

Music: Asperita City
Choro Notes: A few things of dialogue have changed now that the game has actually, you know, started.

, too. Right?"

Dude, you're like 30.

THE gently caress IS THAT S'POSED'TA MEAN? YOU'RE DEAD.

Oh. Why's she here?

"Always remember, Bianca: Beer before Whiskey, always risky."

- - -

Well, this joint's open now I guess.

"And then he went and taught some young people some things. That Alder, he sure does love the young people."

Ok I am tired of learning now. I am learned out. The magic of learning has been extinguished.

Got one! Thanks!

it'll be a simple test of strength!"
Don't have any! Thanks!

Music: Pokémon Black & White - Pokémon Gym
Choro Notes: Starting with the NEXT gym, Black2 does something really neat with the Gym Music. It's pretty cool, oh man I can't wait to show you.

"You gotta good face. All you need is a good suit. Don't like suits? Fine we nix the suit. You still gotta good face. Faces don't need a suit, just a head of hair to go on top. BLAMMO you got that in SPADES."

"Water's good to hydrate. You gotta stay hydrated. Some guys'll say put stuff in the water but you gotta just drink the water. They got all these schools teachin about the pocket monsters but none teachin about the real monster: dehydration. Drink your water, yo. I hope anyone hearing this goes and gets some water. Drink it up. Yum. Anyway"

. . . aren't you kind of short to be a gym leader?

Well alright then I'll just wai—

A minimalist.

Nope, screw that.

" . . . "

FINE.

What, no. It's me. I'm strong. WE'RE BOTH STRONG BUT ALSO ME. I'M STRONG.

as a Gym Leader!"

Yeah alright, no goofing off.

Music: Battle! Gym Leader
Choro Notes: Truthfully, the battle themes in Black2 are slightly different from their Black version, but really only in that their soundfonts are slightly different.

Choro Notes: Cheren
Cheren's baaaaaaaaack. And he gets to be a gym leader nooooooow. He took Lenora's spot in the Gym Leader lineup and gives out the Basic Badge now. Congrats Chereeeeeeeeeen.

You're not supposed to do that! You're supposed to hit me so I can use Counter!

Like that! Yeah!

I dunno, Mortimer. Can you take on a terrier?

O-oh. . . . no matter. I've got a SECRET WEAPON against normal-types!

Yeah, bet you ain't had to face somethin like this before!

Y-you're kidding me, right?

Man, YOU'RE the one thats gotta face that dog.

Oh. Yeah. Great. Because that's going to save this.

Choro Notes: The Lillipup only has that berry in Challenge Mode.

Oh, what? Starting to get annoyed by the dog? Your fault.

Well? Now what? You're the one that let the dog get swole.

And noooow it's feelin' better. NOW WHAT, JAWNIE?

OH YEAH, SURE. YOU REALIZE THAT'S NOT THE BEST THING YOU COULD HAVE DONE BASED ON YOUR BIOLOGY, RIGHT?

LOOK WHAT YOU ALLOWED TO HAPPEN.

MAN, NOW YOU'RE JUST PANICKING.

ALDER SAID TO DO THIS, JUST TAKE IT.

DAMMIT JAWNIE.

YEAH. VICTORY. IN YOUR FACE.

Oh, we're not done?!

"There is no way I can give you a badge after that. I will get fired. Jeez, it's my first day, too."

In this we are joined, Jawnie.

Choro Notes: Cheren, by the way, does not have this monster normally. It's challenge mode exclusive.

Jawnie I will throw you at that bird.

as a Gym Leader . . . "
"Because holy crap that was one of the WORST showings I've ever seen."

"Just, don't come back. Ever."

Choro Notes: If you didn't figure it out. This is what got into Jawnie.

"I have no idea what you are though, just stay far. Far away from them."

"You should do that! Stick to that!"

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 4, 2013

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I don't know what Cheren's complaining about, that was a victory worthy of praise. Worthy of some praise. Some kind of praise. :colbert:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
God DAMMIT Jawnie get it together :mad:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

"Water's good to hydrate. You gotta stay hydrated. Some guys'll say put stuff in the water but you gotta just drink the water. They got all these schools teachin about the pocket monsters but none teachin about the real monster: dehydration. Drink your water, yo. I hope anyone hearing this goes and gets some water. Drink it up. Yum. Anyway"

Congratulations, you compelled me to take a drink of water.

Did you get a medal for that? Huh?!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Mawile's performance in there was hilarious. Just absolutely fantastic.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Phantasium posted:

Did you get a medal for that? Huh?!

I don't remember if you do, but with how often they give you medals for anything in this game, he likely did get one.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I was thinking that this gym would be rather easy with a steel type and thus kinda boring to read.

Way to nip that thought in the bud, I was giggling the whole time. This is gonna be a fun trip :allears:

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

BlazeEmblem posted:

I don't remember if you do, but with how often they give you medals for anything in this game, he likely did get one.

Walking? Medal.
Saving your game? Medal.
Congrats on inhaling 3 cubic liters of air! Have a medal.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Best bit of medals is when you ignore medal guy for a bit and then he gives you like fifty all at once. Well, I say all at once, what I mean is one after the other. It can take a while sometimes. Really liked the medal system in this. The milestone ones are nice to see how far you've been, and the more interesting ones are often quite fun to go after.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Walking? Medal.
Saving your game? Medal.
Congrats on inhaling 3 cubic liters of air! Have a medal.

Got five medals? That's a medal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know why, but I love that Challenge Mode adds the greatest threat of all to Cheren's lineup - A COMMON PIGEON!

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I know you're joking but there's medals for getting certain numbers of medals.

Is medal talk too spoilery? If not I'd love to talk about my favorite ones :allears:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know why, but I love that Challenge Mode adds the greatest threat of all to Cheren's lineup - A COMMON PIGEON!

Pigeons are assholes. Also isn't it a dove? A pigeon... dove? I mean, it's no Pidgey.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FredMSloniker posted:

Looks like you got six medals now. Guess what?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Prism posted:

Pigeons are assholes. Also isn't it a dove? A pigeon... dove? I mean, it's no Pidgey.

Pigeons are rock doves.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I didn't actually know that challenge mode changed the Gym Leader teams. Probably because of the stupid way to unlock it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I guess that answers whether Jawnie was traded or hacked in.

Prism posted:

Doves are related to pigeons, as our many attempts at Hatoful Boyfriend LPs have shown. :eng101:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zorak posted:

Pigeons are rock doves.

You learn something new every day.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I like what they did with the gyms in this game. While we haven't gotten to the aspect that Choro is excited about yet, one part I noticed here (and in later gyms) was that gyms were a reflection of the gym leader's personality and interests, rather than just being a set of simple puzzles with a vague type theme. From what we know about Cheren from the previous game, a completely minimalist gym is exactly the kind of set-up he would go with.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
This country, you gotta get the badges first. Then when you get the badges, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the pokemon. That's why you gotta make your own moves.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I laughed way harder than I care to admit. Jawnie is the best starter.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That was one of the best battles I've read since you started doing these. Bravo.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean, I get what they were going for here, but it doesn't even know any flying type moves. I'm sure later gyms will throw better curve balls than this one, I mean hell even when not in Challenge Mode there's usually a Pokemon on a gym leader's team that can totally throw off your original strategy.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Oh god that gym battle was great. And possibly totally reminiscent of some players' first times battling with a certain little WiFi Gift.

And I still don't know how they managed to make getting achievements in a Pokemon game amusing but hey, they did.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You wouldn't know it but jackal pups are scared of pigeons.

Edit: What, it can't even Gust it?

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 21, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MissileWaster posted:

I mean, I get what they were going for here, but it doesn't even know any flying type moves. I'm sure later gyms will throw better curve balls than this one, I mean hell even when not in Challenge Mode there's usually a Pokemon on a gym leader's team that can totally throw off your original strategy.

There's also the factor that the first gym generally doesn't use evolved pokémon, so there's not really any curve-balls to throw, this early on.

They could've used Audino, I suppose, but that would be more of a boon to the player than a hindrance, since Audino are basically giant EXP pinatas.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Makes a certain amount of sense if you have somebody who really took the advice about a fighting type to heart. They should also have a basic flying attack at that level, which means they can hit a weakness. It's still that whole idea of being able to throw off your entire strategy that was referenced above, it's just that most people come into the first gym a bit overleveled.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They also will probably just use their starter. And it assumes they found a Riolu at all, which they probably didn't. I do still like the concept of a hard mode, hope they bring it back and allow you to choose it from the beginning instead of the insanity they did this time.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

They could've used Audino, I suppose, but that would be more of a boon to the player than a hindrance, since Audino are basically giant EXP pinatas.

Hey now, don't talk down Audino. We've seen perfectly well what they're capable of from the last LP.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Ramengank posted:

Hey now, don't talk down Audino. We've seen perfectly well what they're capable of from the last LP.

Yes, but fighting them is a huge bonus. You get crazy EXP off of them.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Those poor orphans, having to use those terrible monkeys.

MissileWaster posted:

Maybe not so much the additional pokémon make the fights more difficult but the moves used by the pokémon are of a more competitive nature. Water pokémon using flying or grass attacks to surprise the player, gym leaders using TMs that aren't their own TM can be really annoying later on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
drat, Alder is really taking losing his Champion position hard. Just wandering around, endlessly tutorial-ing youngsters. I mean, I get that you wanna help the trainers of tomorrow, man, just don't helicopter teacher the kids so much.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TwoPair posted:

drat, Alder is really taking losing his Champion position hard. Just wandering around, endlessly tutorial-ing youngsters.

So he's just a, potentially drunk, homeless wanderer now? "I usssed to be, some...somebody 'til that girl an' her little freaky floaty friend won the league. Now all I can do is try to keep trainers from turnin' into shhshshitlordssss. I wish... I wish I still had me'book to read to'em. That'd learn 'em...".

• Locked thread