Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Geostomp posted:

Volcarona gets it especially bad because it both evolves so late and it swaps between physical and special focus.

A number of pokemon could be saved by just giving them so new moves that actually fit them or at least . While various updates so help, especially for pokemon made before they introduced radically changed game mechanics, they don't make up for design ideas that just don't make sense to begin with like loading special attackers with physical moves in recent games (looking at you Flabebe) or their quest to make defensive pokemon of a type that only resists itself. Gamefreak does kind of run on moon logic at times.

One thing I hate more than anything else is that Move Tutors seem to be reserved for the remakes/3rd versions. Some pokemon have their best moves limited to a prior generation's tutor and for some reason they aren't included in their list of egg moves in later generations. This shouldn't be an issue for me since I actually own the games with the tutors, but gently caress breeding pokemon in a game that lacks the Destiny Knot.

An example that pissed me off recently was Sheer Force Conkeldurr - he's pretty much useless without the Elemental Punches and those somehow didn't make the cut as TMs/tutors in X/Y. This also ties into the moveset issue, as Conkeldurr has zero STAB moves that work with one of its two main abilities. I just want to use a muscleclown that hits things really hard, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

KataraniSword posted:

Gen 5 was in that awkward phase where you were still expected to beat the game at roughly L55 at highest, but a lot of its pokemon (Braviary, Mandibuzz, Mienshao, Volcarona, Hydreigon) don't evolve until right before the absolute end of the game or past the end credits. X/Y is better about that since the Elite 4 brushes up against L60-70, and it's not uncommon to end up higher than that if you've been using the Exp Share.

That said, pseudo-legendaries (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, and Hydreigon) are intentionally late evolvers to make up for their superior stats and (with exception of Tyranitar and Metagross) Dragon-typing.

Then why does Volcarona evolve so late? It's not a psuedo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silegna posted:

Then why does Volcarona evolve so late? It's not a psuedo.

Its pretty goddamn powerful though. And initially it was either an egg or a one off level 70 encounter.

Gen V was also the generation that had our basic bug types evolving at level 30. Load of dumb stuff happening with evolutionary levels there. There really need to be some major level readjustents for Gen V or the rest of the gens.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

Its pretty goddamn powerful though. And initially it was either an egg or a one off level 70 encounter.

Gen V was also the generation that had our basic bug types evolving at level 30. Load of dumb stuff happening with evolutionary levels there. There really need to be some major level readjustents for Gen V or the rest of the gens.

I guess they wanted you to level up more, but they seriously went overboard, especially for mons that show up late like Braviary being stuck as a chick until level 54 despite being a little worse than Staraptor that evolves about 20 levels sooner. Somebody loved the idea of late bloomers, but failed to really consider the consequences or even adjust the game enough compensate.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Geostomp posted:

I guess they wanted you to level up more, but they seriously went overboard, especially for mons that show up late like Braviary being stuck as a chick until level 54 despite being a little worse than Staraptor that evolves about 20 levels sooner. Somebody loved the idea of late bloomers, but failed to really consider the consequences or even adjust the game enough compensate.

I feel like it might have been more wanting the whole spectrum of levels getting used, but not balancing it for that. I remember even as late as D/P I struggled with getting my team into the 50s for the endgame without grinding--and that's only halfway through the entire leveling process.

It would be nice for a pokemon game to hit the right balance and actually go from 1-100 through the entire course of it, and X/Y get close, but man the work that would take.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
X/Y turned the whole thing around where just through catching new pokemon and fighting trainers with the EXP share turned on, your entire team will be about 10 levels above the competition by the elite 4.

Seriously I was pushing the upper 70s by the time I finished. It's kind of disappointing.

Conversely in Black I was always ALWAYS underlevelled even with modest Audino grinding. My MVP at the end game was a fat stack of hyper potions and revives.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's because you had the exp share on...

The way to balance it is to have two teams instead of one and constantly switch Pokemon in and out, or just have the exp share off and have your team of six be around the levels of everyone else.

This applies to every game, catch six Pokemon spread out across the region and you'll do fine levels wise with no grinding necessary, except maybe a level or two just before you take on the E4 if you're not confident.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Yeah if you don't use the EXP Share in X/Y, the game is really well balanced level wise.

The issue with some of Gen5 monsters is they were designed and balanced around Black/White's gameplay since they were the only monsters that appeared originally. Pawniard, Vullaby, Elgyem, Mienfoo and Rufflet are the biggest offenders off the top of my head. Even stuff like Foongus doesn't evolve until L.40. It's not as noticeable in Gen5 but it really sticks out in Gen6.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah if you don't use the EXP Share in X/Y, the game is really well balanced level wise.

The issue with some of Gen5 monsters is they were designed and balanced around Black/White's gameplay since they were the only monsters that appeared originally. Pawniard, Vullaby, Elgyem, Mienfoo and Rufflet are the biggest offenders off the top of my head. Even stuff like Foongus doesn't evolve until L.40. It's not as noticeable in Gen5 but it really sticks out in Gen6.

At least in this game, you are actually able to use the high level evolving mons.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Chorocojo posted:

It also stays roughly balanced if you leave Exp. Share on and constantly change out your party as you catch cool new things. I replaced large portions of my team multiple times throughout the game so catching them up to the guys I didn't replace kept things roughly balanced. (Except for my overleveled Hawlucha. That little bastard earned a permanent slot on my team.)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

It also stays roughly balanced if you leave Exp. Share on and constantly change out your party as you catch cool new things. I replaced large portions of my team multiple times throughout the game so catching them up to the guys I didn't replace kept things roughly balanced. (Except for my overleveled Hawlucha. That little bastard earned a permanent slot on my team.)

I'm pretty sure encouraging you to rotate your team was the entire point of the new and improved Experience Share. It's way too easy to get complacent in these games and just wander around with one team for fear of being forced to baby a new addition after a while. With the EXP Share, and much more generous EXP rules of XY, you can get a rookie up to fighting condition faster than ever. That frees you up to use the enormous Kalos dex as much as you want. Sure, it's easy to do without it on as well (again, EXP is really generously given in XY), but this way ensures that even little Timmy from down the street do it too.

It's like what they tried in Unova with Audino lining up to be punched in the face for XP, but much more efficient.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I just ended up using a rotating team of twelve, four of which were megas. I ended up underlevelled for the final battles.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Pyroi posted:

I just ended up using a rotating team of twelve, four of which were megas. I ended up underlevelled for the final battles.

I ended up with a rotating team of around... 30. :shepface:
Then again I usually end up with large-ish teams (20 or so including HM slaves), but still.

Chorocojo posted:

Trying to raise a Hydreigon before the post-game in BW and BW2 was never really worth it since you'd have a lot of better monsters by that point. Funnily it's actually EASIER in XY because you can find them in the wild.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

StrifeHira posted:

Trying to raise a Hydreigon before the post-game in BW and BW2 was never really worth it since you'd have a lot of better monsters by that point. Funnily it's actually EASIER in XY because you can find them in the wild.

Better than a three-headed dragon that evolves from a Beatlesaur? I'm not sure I care about your criteria. :colbert:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A Beatlesaur with the slowest possible EXP curve, that evolves at level... Wait, level 64? That couldn't possibly be meant as an inside joke. Right?

Reference for those of you who didn't grow up hearing the Beatles entire discography on long car trips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViKkjSzdwL4

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Gen 5 was in that awkward phase where you were still expected to beat the game at roughly L55 at highest, but a lot of its pokemon (Braviary, Mandibuzz, Mienshao, Volcarona, Hydreigon) don't evolve until right before the absolute end of the game or past the end credits. X/Y is better about that since the Elite 4 brushes up against L60-70, and it's not uncommon to end up higher than that if you've been using the Exp Share.

That said, pseudo-legendaries (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, and Hydreigon) are intentionally late evolvers to make up for their superior stats and (with exception of Tyranitar and Metagross) Dragon-typing.

Garchomp evolves at level 48, though. Compare that to Volcaron's 59 or , worse, Hydreigon's ridiculous 64. I mean yeah, I get that they're super strong or whatever but they were also pretty hard to come by until gen 6 anyway. What excuse is there for Braviary evolving at level 54? It's just annoying is all.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Rangpur posted:

When I'm Sixty-Four

Even though that's most likely a total coincidence, it's a hilarious connection. I even know the song, but I never remembered when exactly Zweilous evolves, only classifying it as "too late". Thank you. :allears:

~Will I have three heads when I'm sixty-four?~

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really must thank the XY exp share for giving me a chance to play a game with a rotating team of 18 different Pokemon (at least one of each Type). It was pretty fun and the E4 were a decent challenge that way.

Back to the current game: I dunno why Game Freak went in with giving different dungeon designs in each version for this specific Generation and no others.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I really must thank the XY exp share for giving me a chance to play a game with a rotating team of 18 different Pokemon (at least one of each Type). It was pretty fun and the E4 were a decent challenge that way.

Back to the current game: I dunno why Game Freak went in with giving different dungeon designs in each version for this specific Generation and no others.

It is strange that they went to all the trouble to differentiate Black and White, but just reverted to the old version exclusive method for XY. They already had a nice duality of creation/destruction to work with and everything. Hopefully they'll do something special for Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby to make up for it.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#32. Roadblocks

Choro Notes: Surprise! In Black/White, Undella Town was a postgame area. Now you get to go through it. Via the volcano. The volcano that was always there.

Music: Undella Town (Fall-Spring)

Choro Notes: There's a Shiny Stone up by the front-end loader. You know, in case you missed the first one or just really want two Cinccinos or to use both Cinccino and Roserade.

Wh-why did you make the tunnel THROUGH the volcano? I mean, it's dormant and all but Heatman or whatever lives in there.

Choro Notes: In Black/White, there was a huge manor to the west side of town that a Rich family lived in. Yeah they tore that out to . . . bore into a volcano. However, the father has remained because who else would you sell Relic objects to?

Have you considered collecting common items? It'd give you more to collect, I think.

. . . is it like, signed by someone or something?

means spending a lot of money."

Uhhh . . .

No. Nothing.

Pokémon Trainers."
D'oh, poo poo.

- - -

What an unassuming little house. I wonder who could be inside. I bet they're amazing.

Nope, just an older woman. Dang, I was sure I was on to something here.

- - -

Boy?

Y-yes. That is a true statement.

Choro Notes: The Prism Scale is an alternate evolution method for Feebas since Gen5 (and X/Y) doesn't have the Beauty stat traditionally used to evolve it.

- - -

Hows—

. . .
". . ."
. . .
" . . . I can't figure out where they get those hats. That's what worries me most."

- - -

Choro Notes: Undella Town now actually has Four exits to different routes. You have the north and south from Black/White, the stupid Volcano route, and then the Marine Tube which heads north but under the northern route.

Screw that!

Nope.

-Access denied.-

- - -

Screw going north. Going south.

Music: HeartGold/SoulSilver - Johto Route 47

Choro Notes: Every so often, the fog here clears up. The fog has no actual effect on anything, it just looks prettier without it.

Choro Notes: The levels of trainers are roughly all around this level in challenge mode. But the encounters north of Undella are even higher, so I can only assume they intended you to head south before the direction you're meant to.

Choro Notes: Tailwind boosts your monsters speed for a couple turns. It's not tied to the user, so it will stick around if you switch out, get KOd, etc. It's actually pretty handy but speed is not an issue with my team so.

. . . that . . . . that's not a good sign.

This area's not bad looking, really. It gives me ideas.

Choro Notes: Good god do Triple Battles fill the screen with clutter.

Jawnie basically carries this team in her bear-trap like maw.

No, just the regular kind.

Man, the view out here. I feel bad for anyone who can't see all these waterfalls and the mountains.

Choro Notes: There are Golduck out here. Man I ain't want nothin' to do with you, Golduck. You can also find Altaria, Buizel, Drifblim and Mienfoo.

Alright, now to head to Black City.

Wh-

. . .

. . . Fine. I'll go north.
Choro Notes: I can't tell if this is the best roadblock in the series or not.

- - -

GREAT. WHY IS THERE SOME SORT OF ROADBLOCK IN EVERY DIRECTION?

What, Hugh? WHAT?

Music: Battle! Vs. Hugh

Oh. You've got a bird still too.

Oh my. What a wonderful move, Hugh. That's such a good move you've used.

You're Sooooooooo good at this.

This is a farce.

Great. Next?

Oh. Oh boy.

HUGH, YOU PUTZ.

Great. Good.

Choro Notes: One of my problems with Hugh is you end up fighting him a lot and he's never a challenge.

Hugh I have six guys left including a hate-fish. Concede?

I . . . Dammit Hugh.

Am I the only one in this region who uses more than three monsters?

What

HUGH. LET IT GO.

Yeah. Got it. Sure. On it.

IT'S LIKE YOU DON'T REALIZE I'M DOING THE OPPOSITE OF EVERYTHING YOU WANT.

Ugh.

quote:

Dowsing Collector - A Medal to praise sharp-eyed Trainers who found 50 hidden items.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is the part where I bring back up that I love the vs. Hugh music, and that I name him Huge every time I play. That makes the "voiced by Goku" thing so much better, too.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Hugh really is such a disappointment rival. When I was a kid, I dreaded running in to Gary/Blue/Rival #1 in Yellow. The 2nd and 4th Gen probably had the best rivals in that they were challenging, but never seemed over the top like the 1st. Hugh is just a joke though. Bianca and Cheren weren't difficult, but having two equally powered rivals was a fun twist and they were pretty decent characters for a Pokemon game.

Hut Hugh us just...ugh.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I don't get why Hugh's team is the exact same as Cheren's, including having a stupid monkey. Why? I guess he's so focused on finding the Purrloin he doesn't care about his team. Cheren, meanwhile, was trying to find strong Pokemon and ended up with crap so that Bianca ended up stronger and depending on the starter had a very balanced team (she'll catch a Chandelure no matter the starter and 2 times out of 3 will have two fire types).

Along with the usual three Pokemon in total. But out of all the Pokemon to catch in B2W2, you choose Unfezant and Monkey. :wtf:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Oh yeah, that's another thing. Your rivals usually had fun teams with interesting pokemon you didn't usually battle elsewhere. Here? Its the same stupid bird and monkey you've already beaten like 50 times.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

. . .

. . . Fine. I'll go north.
Choro Notes: I can't tell if this is the best roadblock in the series or not.

I say it's the best, based on how self-aware and blatant it is. It's silly and some people get so mad over it.

Also that drawing is fantastic.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I've been playing Pokemon for years and I still haven't gotten tired of trainers getting screwed over by the RNG of a confusion status. Bonus points when it's self-inflicted.

tlarn fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 9, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Man, male Jellicent were already pretty funny and you just made them better.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Hugh really is such a disappointment rival. When I was a kid, I dreaded running in to Gary/Blue/Rival #1 in Yellow. The 2nd and 4th Gen probably had the best rivals in that they were challenging, but never seemed over the top like the 1st. Hugh is just a joke though. Bianca and Cheren weren't difficult, but having two equally powered rivals was a fun twist and they were pretty decent characters for a Pokemon game.

Hut Hugh us just...ugh.

It'd help if his character development kicked in sooner. If he broke down and admitted that he's doing all this for his ego, then started building himself up into a better person by, say, the fifth badge or so it'd be so much better. As of now, he spends nearly the entire game popping up, spouting is one motivation (the same motivation that even his little sister had already gotten over) to anyone in earshot repeatedly, then leaving to continue the cycle. Cheren and Biancia both started questioning their motivations and showed inklings of future maturation at about by that point, while Hugh just stays angry and annoying. At very least he could have gathered a half-decent team instead of just his starter and the most common junk Unova has to offer (not even the good Unova commons, just an unimpressive bird and monkey).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Geostomp posted:

At very least he could have gathered a half-decent team instead of just his starter and the most common junk Unova has to offer (not even the good Unova commons, just an unimpressive bird and monkey).

Honestly, after the glory that was Staraptor in Gen 4 no trashbird (short of Talonflame) was going to compare.

As for the stupid monkeys, I at least appreciate the motivation behind them - "Let's put a common trio of pokemon in the game that have the same types as starters so that players can get a pokemon with a type advantage against the rival early." They just failed because they made the monkeys lovely forgettable pieces of crap that aren't worth using.

I appreciate the typing thing especially since prior gens tend to be unbalanced in that area. (Picked Mudkip and want a fire type to use against Treecko in Gen 3? Hope you can wait until just before the 4th gym to catch 3 of the 4 crappy fire types in the game! Until then we're going to make you regret picking the water starter by throwing a million more water types at you. Hope you like Wingulls and Tentacool! :argh:)

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Crosspeice posted:

I don't get why Hugh's team is the exact same as Cheren's, including having a stupid monkey. Why? I guess he's so focused on finding the Purrloin he doesn't care about his team. Cheren, meanwhile, was trying to find strong Pokemon and ended up with crap so that Bianca ended up stronger and depending on the starter had a very balanced team (she'll catch a Chandelure no matter the starter and 2 times out of 3 will have two fire types).

Along with the usual three Pokemon in total. But out of all the Pokemon to catch in B2W2, you choose Unfezant and Monkey. :wtf:

Hugh's starter is Momotarou. It drags along a Pheasant, a Monkey, and a little yappy dog (Hugh).

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Honestly, after the glory that was Staraptor in Gen 4 no trashbird (short of Talonflame) was going to compare.

I still am so proud of my first Staraptor OHKOing an Onyx with (a Critical) Fly waaaay back in Pearl. :3:

Unfeazant just can't really compete. Hell, even as an HM slave, there are better ones in Unova. Hugh really needed a better team.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Hut Hugh us just...ugh.

I still stand by my opinion that Jorge was the best rival. Probably had my favorite rival theme in the series.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

I still stand by my opinion that Jorge was the best rival. Probably had my favorite rival theme in the series.

I actually like the Cheren/Bianca rival theme better. It has this playful "bounciness" that I really like. (that whistle-y thing after the first DUH, DUUUUUH, DUH is like 90% of why I like the song.)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh please, the best rival is Brendan! Remember?

The two battles?
Not even seeing the fully evolved form of his starter?
Him completely disappearing for like 2/3rds of the game?

Yeah, good times...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Oh please, the best rival is Brendan! Remember?

The two battles?
Not even seeing the fully evolved form of his starter?
Him completely disappearing for like 2/3rds of the game?

Yeah, good times...

Ah, Brendan and May.

Truly, they were...

At least you could say they...

Remember the one time that...

I got nothin'.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

chiasaur11 posted:

Ah, Brendan and May.

Truly, they were...

At least you could say they...

Remember the one time that...

I got nothin'.

At least we'll always have the Secret Base.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sure he looks funny now, but you can't see the ship he's on his way to sink.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey Chorocojo I would just like to say thanks for the many entertaining LP's over the years. My ex is/was a huge Pokemon fan who found your LPs linked on a fansite she frequented and introduced them to me way back in 2010/2011. They provided hours of entertainment and enjoyment for the both of us before our break up; snuggled up together enjoying you works on the laptop or tablet.

And yes on at least one occasion of "It's cold, lets read some LP Emerald together in bed" resulted in some action. So thanks for helping me get laid as well; first time Pokemon has ever helped me with that.

Keep up the good work man.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Hey Chorocojo I would just like to say thanks for the many entertaining LP's over the years. My ex is/was a huge Pokemon fan who found your LPs linked on a fansite she frequented and introduced them to me way back in 2010/2011. They provided hours of entertainment and enjoyment for the both of us before our break up; snuggled up together enjoying you works on the laptop or tablet.

And yes on at least one occasion of "It's cold, lets read some LP Emerald together in bed" resulted in some action. So thanks for helping me get laid as well; first time Pokemon has ever helped me with that.

Keep up the good work man.
:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

StrifeHira posted:

I say it's the best, based on how self-aware and blatant it is. It's silly and some people get so mad over it.

Also that drawing is fantastic.

I first saw that roadblock on 4chan, and assumed that it was a romhack. I was floored when I found out it was in the game itself.

• Locked thread