Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Leper Colon V posted:

B2/W2 have so much better post-game than B/W. That on its own was enough to warrant a purchase for me.
BW has the best plot and worst postgame in the series, and BW2 has the best postgame but worst plot. More than a fair trade if you weren't already too burned out on Pokemon to keep playing after the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Rumda posted:

This is unavoidable apart from putting every pokemon in the first few routes some one will be pissed off they had to wait to use a favourite.
Wi-fi trading has made this a lot better than it's been in the past, since you can just get someone to trade you a mon early. Although you'll still suffer from some Pokemon being balanced to being caught super late, with them either being way too strong early on or taking way too long to evolve.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Darth TNT posted:

Riolu is pretty useless at this Gym. I used him, he can only counter once (if you're Lucky) before needing to heal.
They also bumped up the level it learns Force Palm from 11 in BW to 15 in BW2, so if you had the patience to grind a proper fighting move you'd be overleveled enough to win anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well I mean they could, but the Gyms kind of are used as both an XP boost (Much less of a problem in Gen 6) and as a sign post of how far you've come. It's a way of measuring your journey, and as that it's pretty okay and there's no real problem with it. I mean you're going to those towns anyway, if they don't just want to lock away 8 cities for post story poo poo, so why not have them be stops on the rail?
You also have to bear in mind that this is a game for kids, so the gyms make sure they can handle the upcoming plot battles and force them to learn type matchups.

I have enjoyed the few times they let you off the rails a little, like when DP let you pick whether to fight Maylene or Wake first & the Kanto games let you fight Sabrina, Koga, and Erika in any order(although they did railroad you towards certain cities first). But you're still fighting the gyms, and their levels will still be relatively close to each other.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
In the case of cool stuff from BW2, I've always heard that BW2 and XY were developed in parallel by different teams, so features made by one team might not have been known about by the other team. Same with HGSS improving the menus a shitload by making them touch screen-usable, then BW making them worse again before they went back to being touchscreen in XY.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

W.T. Fits posted:

Hugh is always at 11, too. It's just he's focused on one thing in particular, whereas Barry had the attention span of a goldfish.
Barry's also a lot less angry about everything. I don't think he got legitimately angry at much of anything unless there was a good reason to be pissed(ex. Team Galactic blowing up a lake, not "oh dear, our dog Pokemon wandered a-" "IT MUST HAVE BEEN STOLEN!!"). Barry was basically comic relief that happened to have a solid team. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

LacklusterMan posted:

Does anyone even use Ethers anymore?
Did they ever? I've only ever sold them to the shops, since you get a nice chunk of change for them & PP is never a problem during the game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Crosspeice posted:

I find the use of POKEMON as a bit half assed, the ON doesn't really fit, I just think it sounds awkward. They could have used POISON, or have their band named the DOGARS and stuck with the Japanese track. But I like the theme anyway.
My guess is that they were trying to make it usable in multiple languages, although different languages pronounce their letters differently so I'm not sure how well that would work. :v: (Or even what track they use in non-English/Japanese games)

Nihilarian posted:

Roxie's cool.

Not a fan of what comes next.
If you don't like what comes next, you don't have a soul. And this is coming from someone who thinks the following Pokemon feature from HGSS is overrated. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
But you get lemonade from your adoring fans. Isn't that enough? :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Geemer posted:

complaints about battle cruft
I hardly even noticed any of that, but what I did notice as a huge improvment is that HP bars now jumped to the new value. Before, if you knocked out a Blissey or something, you'd be waiting ages for their HP bar to tick down. Now it's instant! You can also mash the A/B buttons to make a few things go faster.

Of course, I've never had a problem in the battle speed in any of the games except for DP(which were bugged to take the same amount of time whether animations were off or on), so maybe I'm just not picky. :v:

jaydee864 posted:

Yeah, it's refreshing to me to see some grumpiness amidst the constant childlike enthusiasm that every single NPC (except for Hugh, I guess) in this game gushes forth. I never made it far in this game because of all these dumb little interruptions the game throws your way, so I appreciate the way Red's writing Vinny.
BW2 are probably the best games in the series to use a grumpy protagonist for, just because of how stupid their stories get sometimes. Not just the interruptions & roadblocks, but even the main plot is pretty dumb. (Not that anyone plays Pokemon games for plot in the first place)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
No matter how many evolutions Eevee gets, people will endlessly debate about new evos and make totally original do not steal fan Eeveelutions. It's a law.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Kobold posted:

Choro, you mentioned Harden is something you'd never use on a Grimer/Muk... would Acid Armor fall under that category as well? Or does it get some redemption in the fact that it's a sharp raise instead of just a single stage one?
Playing defensively isn't really worth it against the AI. I mean, you can, it just makes battles take longer for no particular reason - the AI isn't smart enough for defensive strategies to pay off more than just berserking everything does. That's also why many defense/support mons are much less useful in-game than they are against other humans.

(And if you are playing against other humans, it seems like nobody uses anything other than sharp raises or moves that raise multiple stats at once.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I remember Stadium 2's Pokemon Academy making a big deal out of a bunch of obscure mechanics like that, so definitely Gen 2 at the latest.

Chorocojo posted:

There's no guarantee how long it will stay on the team since suddenly now all four of my guys are weak to Ground. Again.

StandardVC10 posted:

I hate when that happens. :mad:

All my favorites are fire or steel or electric types. :(

edit: except Sigilyph
I keep ending up with in-game teams where 4 dudes share a weakness or two. Type balance is for scrubs. :colbert: (not that the games are that challenging in the first place)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Roger Explosion posted:

Without grinding, I was 4-17 levels above anything Diantha threw at me.
And that's why you turn the EXP All off. That basically acts as the difficulty select for XY.

Other than that, in pretty much all the games after RSE or so, you'll be at a good level for the "bosses" as long as you fight every trainer. No grinding necessary, no overleveling.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't know if this experience is shared by everyone, but I didn't spend that long playing Black 2 or White 2 (I've ended up owning both, shameful) before X and Y came out. At least compared to some earlier generations that I sunk hours into. So I guess I don't have a lot to say about them right now.
It's in an awkward spot where it's basically like Plat/Emerald/etc, but it has just enough content to require its own LP in addition to BW1, but there's enough repetition that most of the content was already discussed to death during BW1.

I expect it'll only get worse now that we're back in the cities we saw in BW1.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pyrovile posted:

The best part of Join Avenue is that everyone you connect with (be it through the C-Gear, local or online multiplayer, and even through the Dream World) shows up as an NPC so if you regularly battle online or used the Dream World then you get to fill the avenue up with shops and upgrade them really quickly, and the top level shops offer really good items or services that you haven't been able to buy in any Pokemon game before.
It's funny how this DS game had better pseudo-streetpass features than the actual 3DS Pokemon games.
This also led to a hilarious unofficial player collaboration, where people would go on GTS & chain trade Magnemite for other Magnemite to get a shitton of Join Avenue NPCs. It was also a good way to get medals involving trading.

Sure, half your Join Avenue wouldn't be speaking English, but Unova is a vibrant multinational community where such things are commonplace. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm still confused as to why she got glasses in this game if she didn't need them in the last one.
She thought Cheren looked really cool in glasses(so she got fake ones) at the same time Cheren decided to get Lasik. Mystery solved. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

chiasaur11 posted:

Do you have a single shred of evidence to back that up?
Alder has red hair. Zoroark has red hair. Coincidence? I think not.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And let's be realistic: If they're going to remake RSE, the simple fact of :10bux: will outweigh any "well, you can technically get gen 3 Pokemon onto modern carts" or "well, the games still save" reasoning. Especially when RS are 11 years old and Emerald 9 years. They're literally older than most of the kids buying and playing Pokemon games now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

The game just doesn't reward your effort at all if you decide to do that stuff. It's all there if you wanna go online or really like the idea of breeding your digital murder pets. It's not something the game requires or expects out of you, however.
One could argue that some degree of that is necessary for the various Battle Towers/Subways/Frontiers, since those have you fighting against strong AI with competent movesets & items. But the areas in question are 100% optional postgame crap, sooooo...:v:

But yeah. Do whatever you want to in-game, you don't have to care about EVs/IVs/natures unless that brand of spergery appeals to you.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Thinking about it now though I'm surprised the type chart doesn't cause more problems for casual players. Heck I forget certain matchups still and I've been playing this game for almost two decades.
I always found it kind of weird that the type chart has only been an in-game thing once, as far as I remember. (DPt had a type checker as one of the Poketch apps) It's such a fundamental part of battling that it seems really weird that it's never brought up, outside of the Gym Guy telling you basic matchups for each gym type.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Silegna posted:

So far, I'm thinking that Red's going to do X or Y, unless he can't find a way to get footage from a 3DS, sure there are modded ones with capture cards, but they're at least 300 dollars a pop. He seems to only do main games though, not remakes, aside from Leafgreen.
He's also waited for the third game for each of his LPs, which could be a while. BW2 were different enough from BW1 to merit a seperate LP, but who knows if the follow up XY will be a generic third version or a BW2-style sequel.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Geostomp posted:

If they insist on having so many item evolutions (because heaven forbid they don't justify their retconned evolutions unlike all the retconned types or moves), they could at very least give us the option to store items in PokeBank.
But then you could accumulate a bunch of mega stones and/or master balls(I assume those are the main reason they don't want you to have Bank item storage), and we can't have that.

I find it amusing that RBY was the most sane about evo items. You could buy infinite amounts of all but one of them! (Because there weren't a million of the goddamn things. Why is Gamefreak so allergic to reusing evo items in new Pokemon?)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Just add in a guy who goes "A bunch of Pokemon evolve with different items now because of the feng shui of this region!" and condense the evo items into something more reasonable. :v:

On a similar note, ever notice how few entirely new evolution lines use old items? The elemental stones have each gotten one or two new lines in 6 gens; even worse is the dawn stone, which was introduced for 2 gender-based evos and never used again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

UmbreonMessiah posted:

The truly baffling thing is why we still have TRADE EVOLUTIONS in Gen 6, as in: you have to trade this Pokémon to evolve it. I mean just...why? WHY! So many possibilities and you resort to THAT?

The most offensive part, I think, is that you can totally catch one of those two new trade evolutions in the wild :psyduck:
Because they want you to interact with other human beings while playing Pokemon. It's the same reason they keep including stuff like the Underground/Join Avenue/Friend Safari. How well any of that is implemented is another story, but the intent is clear.

• Locked thread