Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rose Spirit posted:

There are legless lizards, maybe there can be... legged... snakes? :psyduck:

Snakes DID have legs way way back in the day. Still kinda do have remnants of those, so, yeah, legged snakes? V:v:V Still kinda see a bit of an anole in Snivy's design too.

Kinda surprised to see this up so soon, but hey, not complaining. BW2's a LOT of fun but it has... issues that BW1 didn't have. Whatever "bad" that's been added is mostly balanced out with all the good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Basically if you don't care about the story it's a good game.

It's not like this is something new for the franchise, it's just coming off the heels of the one main game that did have a decent story. I'd still take BW2's plot over say, the Hoenn ones.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

"Can't mess this up. Not again. C=<"

This is just adorable. :3:

And hey a Mawile! Haven't actually used one before so it'll be neat seeing it be a main 'mon for once.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Oh god that gym battle was great. And possibly totally reminiscent of some players' first times battling with a certain little WiFi Gift.

And I still don't know how they managed to make getting achievements in a Pokemon game amusing but hey, they did.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Probably verrrry slowly if they use their tails. Like how your grandma uses only her index fingers to type.

e: I am referring to Poke-snakes, actual snakes probably lack typing functionality.

Tails schmails. They type by smashing their faces into the keyboard over and over until they've finished making a complete sentence.

Haven't you read that classic children's book "Typing with Ekans!"?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

: Thank you for going so far for this errand, Bianca. And, Cheren, how are you enjoying being a Gym Leader?

Looks like she's still got it.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Yeeeessss, my favorite Gym Leader got her introduction.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I really like the design of Roxie's gym. It's very simple but has good atmosphere, and just seems like what some punk rock band would throw together. No cannons or indoor swimming pools or haunted houses, just a cool little thing with a neat track.

Also Roxie's bass guitar is a Scolipede. I always thought that was a neat little touch.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Somehow, the timing of this image with the music picking up just made me find this especially funny.

The sidenote on the movies with Rosa was... infectiously upbeat. I can't wait for more because oh my gosh the movies were FUN to do. And all those prizes~

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

Hey, are you the ones that made that Drill Dozer game? Can you make more of those? Thanks.

At least it got SOME recognition.
Godspeed, Excadrill, you crazy gamebreaking drill mole tank.

But yeah, Roxie is a nice, cool kid.
Her dad may not be winning any parenting awards any time soon, but there are worse ones in the franchise.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

I'm genuinely sad I can't raise a Leafeon or Glaceon in this game. Both special stones are only in post-game areas.

I seriously tossed an Eevee over to a different game just so I could have a Leafeon in my White2 main story team.

The lil' guy didn't disappoint me. :3:

How long did it take to find that Eevee anyway? Because I had absolutely TERRIBLE luck in my game, I found a Delcatty (spoilering just in case) before a single Eevee decided to pop up.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 6, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

You know I could totally see this as a legit Pokedex entry. Maybe not QUITE for the Shotoclone Jackal, but still it's just bizarre enough to fit in with the other nonsense without being too out there.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Well huh, I must have been incredibly lucky, because I didn't really have much of a problem with crits until the last couple movies were unlocked, and even then they weren't incredibly tedious.

All those prizes though, goddamn, I probably had a million Pokedollars' worth in lemonade alone by the time I was done with the last few movies.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Whoever set up the movies' scripts was having way, way too much fun with them. And the little strategies they come up with are kinda neat, so long as the RNG gods play fair. Sadly didn't seem to be the case for that last one. I mean crap, four times in a row?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

Even that one about Elesa? That one just sounds like bullshit. You know, that one.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Oh the reactions people will have when we finally see it... :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

For all the crap Hugh gets for his... well, a lot of things, he IS one of the few people in all of Pokemon that straight-up punched a villain in the face. Credit where it's due.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I like how they portray Rood. He's really trying to do something good here.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Silegna posted:

I still wonder why Hugh thinks in bluntness. Does he just have two brain cells rubbing together up in the saiyan looking hair of his? I mean really. He thinks ALL of Team Plasma is evil, even though there is a distinct difference in there personalities, and one dresses in spaceman suits, and the other looks like a badass pirate/ninja. Also, is there any way to prevent it from going up to the screenshots when I load in to see the new replies?

Knight outfits, Galactic was the spacemen suits.

And while I can understand being upset over having his sister's Pokemon stolen it's still like... dude has issues.

Also he IS voiced by Sean Schemmel for the preview trailer, so...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

This theme here. Oh man, this theme. It's got everything you need in a "final match" theme. Easily one of my favorite parts of the PWT. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Rocket also had an actual plan that made any sort of sense. "Use pokemon for organized crime things; get loving rich".

Their plans were sensible.

Their members were... not.

TM thief, Lift Key, etc.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Onmi posted:

I did not know that event in Castellia existed.

I found it out grinding before the 7th Gym, I think. They... did not last very long.

Also oh my gosh Jawnie with those glasses. :3:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

But it didn't!

Soon...

The one thing I'm reminded in how disappointed I am about N's Pokemon is that they all have a set ability and nature. I mean sure it's fine for some 'Mons but others like his Joltik are stuck with the lesser of the two. Oh well, guess it keeps continuity.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I think that Skyla's cannon gym was more fun than her fan gym.

It was. But apparently OSHAWOTT disapproves of launching people through the air in massive cannons.
I'm mostly sorry for that pun.

Skyla has a cool gym theme at least. Cheerful and all woodwind-y.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh, wow. I never knew that about School Kid Alberta!

Never noticed she disappeared, either. I am not very observant...

Nor did I. And I played both B2 and W2. :psyduck:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I really like Lentimas Town's aesthetic. It's just kinda neat, wish there were a bit more to do there.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

The Strange House is a really neat area and I kinda wish they had done more with it. Like make it much larger and have it be the mandatory dungeon of the area instead of Reversal Mountain.

I'm honestly fine with it being a sidequest thing, especially since the last "dungeon" area was a graveyard-tower. Would feel a bit too same-y if they had them more or less back to back.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Agreeing with the "it's better in W2" comments, overall I just think it's more visually appealing there.

B2 has some nice, chill music though.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Pyroi posted:

I just ended up using a rotating team of twelve, four of which were megas. I ended up underlevelled for the final battles.

I ended up with a rotating team of around... 30. :shepface:
Then again I usually end up with large-ish teams (20 or so including HM slaves), but still.

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah if you don't use the EXP Share in X/Y, the game is really well balanced level wise.

The issue with some of Gen5 monsters is they were designed and balanced around Black/White's gameplay since they were the only monsters that appeared originally. Pawniard, Vullaby, Elgyem, Mienfoo and Rufflet are the biggest offenders off the top of my head. Even stuff like Foongus doesn't evolve until L.40. It's not as noticeable in Gen5 but it really sticks out in Gen6.

Trying to raise a Hydreigon before the post-game in BW and BW2 was never really worth it since you'd have a lot of better monsters by that point. Funnily it's actually EASIER in XY because you can find them in the wild.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

. . .

. . . Fine. I'll go north.
Choro Notes: I can't tell if this is the best roadblock in the series or not.

I say it's the best, based on how self-aware and blatant it is. It's silly and some people get so mad over it.

Also that drawing is fantastic.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Honestly, after the glory that was Staraptor in Gen 4 no trashbird (short of Talonflame) was going to compare.

I still am so proud of my first Staraptor OHKOing an Onyx with (a Critical) Fly waaaay back in Pearl. :3:

Unfeazant just can't really compete. Hell, even as an HM slave, there are better ones in Unova. Hugh really needed a better team.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

He is, however, not very good at hiding.

Drayden doesn't hide. He seeks.

Seriously though, dude's great. Second or third favorite Unova Gym Leader.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Black and White are my favorite Pokemon games, and I say this as a girl who's more or less stuck through the series since my first Red game, back when I was 8.

BW2 was more fun for its postgame content and some added backstory to the Gym Leaders, but BW1 felt... "fresher" to me.

Though I also can honestly say I don't hate or even really dislike a single main series game, so take that opinion as you will. :v:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

The second half of the plot, where you fight poverty, crime and supervillains in Paris, that's fun.

Well it WAS more or less a Toku protagonist's origin story, guest starring David Tennant. Quite a fun change of pace compared to the main game.

Back on point, I never did ever find out what the singing "ghost" lady's deal was. Every time the thought crossed my mind I was always doing something more important in the game.

Like trading Magnemites.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

I showed you her point. She is the source of the mysterious sound the girl on the bridge was hearing.

That... that's all? Wow. :geno:

At the very least you could get a potion thrown at you or something...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

The dumbest/best/craziest part of the game's story is here. :munch:

In any other game "SKY PIRATES WITH ICE CANNONS" and "DRAGON GENE SPLICING" would be enough crazy, but this isn't any other game. Oh the iceberg goes so much deeper...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Simpler times were still pretty fuckin' stupid. Just not as over-the-top about it.

I'd honestly take Neo-Plasma over the likes of Aqua and Magma. At least they have some idea on what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Aqua and Magma were super dumb, it's true. I was thinking more of Rocket's "I just want to make money because I'm literally the mafia".

Eh, even the Rockets were kinda a bunch of morons, if not in goals themselves then in execution of said goals. Sticking around at the scene of your crimes, "I'm guarding this poster, go away!", "OH NO! I DROPPED THE LIFT KEY.", "Booooossss come back we miss you we took a Radio Tower over to call you back boooooossss :cry:", etc.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

I feel like you are seriously underselling how weird most JRPGs are. Sure, there's the token few political ones like Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle that are somewhat grounded in reality (and when they depart from it, it's over-the-top because of the tonal shift). But most of them tend to open with the crazy Sky Pirates and Dragon Genes and then just run with it all game. Skies of Arcadia and Breath of Fire specifically use those tropes, but really anything from the Tales series or Disgaea series has equally action-movie-cliche badassery.

If anything, Pokemon is more grounded than normal for most JRPGs, despite its magibeast cockfight premise.

Tonal shift, then. Both of those former examples have it more ingrained into their games' stories and mechanics a tad better, latter two are one that parodies and pokes fun at the tropes and cliches of a ton of different things, and the other is, well, the Tales of series.

This meanwhile comes out of left field swinging a hockey stick and doesn't stop running until it throws it to the ground and starts shouting that it scored a touchdown (and then is tackled to the ground by security).

• Locked thread