Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
I like how your mother asks if you know Professor Juniper, you mean one of the 12 people in the town? You'd have to be incredibly antisocial not to know everyone in a town that small.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

On the plus side Black 2 gives you more Pokemon to play around with and the world isn't nearly as linear and just more fun to explore, even if it is a second time around.

It does feel a little strange when you come from Black or White and it's similar to a point, at which time it diverges and starts to get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

Prof. Juniper hasn't moved. She's still all the way east in Nuvema town and we won't meet her for a long while. We're in Aspertia City all the way to the west in New Jersey.

Oh yeah, I guess not knowing someone over the other side of the continent isn't been antisocial, if anything, knowing them when you have no interest in their work would be creepy.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Wi-fi trading has made this a lot better than it's been in the past, since you can just get someone to trade you a mon early. Although you'll still suffer from some Pokemon being balanced to being caught super late, with them either being way too strong early on or taking way too long to evolve.

I don't know if this has been covered in another thread but traded pokémon actually gain more experience than a trainers original pokémon. If you trade a pokémon locally you get 1.5 time the experience and if it's an international pokémon then you get 1.7 times the experience for each battle. Which would result in the pokémon evolving faster than your other pokémon of the same type.

Although, Axew taking till level 38 to evolve is a bit much.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Does Alder jump at everyone that walks down the road or just people with hair as crazy as his? Although people only ever seem to move in reaction to whatever the player does so he might have been waiting there for a while either way.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

A face you can trust with a mustache that says "I'm here to make the hard choices."

I like the choice of Mawile in that it's one of the very few pure steel types and as such has a good amount of resistances. While two of its weaknesses are often covered by its decent defence stat (fighting and ground been mostly physical attacks). As others have said, while its sub-par move set is a bit of a drawback it does get nice moves from other sources.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Actually, one of the best things about this and subsequent generations is that "rare" Pokemon pop up much more frequently. The rarest Pokemon in previous generations would pop up maybe 1% of the time, but now the lowest it gets is 5%. Of course, that's because GF introduced another tier of rarity with the shaking grass/dust clouds/whatevers, but the end effect is that when you walk through tall grass, you're more likely to see the actual full range of local Pokemon.

Not only did it introduce more frequent rare pokémon but also gave people the chance to catch good pokémon at the beginning of the games.

Riolu/Lucario been really good pokémon that I didn't use much due getting them right near the end of the game where your team is well established and you don't want to train another pokémon from the beginning. But B2/W2 brought them to the start of the game and this made the games worth getting if nothing else.

The season thing wasn't that big of a problem but was annoying that it changed the rarity of pokémon for several months at a time.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Those poor orphans, having to use those terrible monkeys.

MissileWaster posted:

I mean, I get what they were going for here, but it doesn't even know any flying type moves. I'm sure later gyms will throw better curve balls than this one, I mean hell even when not in Challenge Mode there's usually a Pokemon on a gym leader's team that can totally throw off your original strategy.

Maybe not so much the additional pokémon make the fights more difficult but the moves used by the pokémon are of a more competitive nature. Water pokémon using flying or grass attacks to surprise the player, gym leaders using TMs that aren't their own TM can be really annoying later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Going from Black 2 and White 2 to X and Y makes Game Freaks seem like they were trying to appeal to people who thought that Pokémon was too slow? Pokémon-Amie, Super Training (even though it's terrible) and Experience Share been changed to the Gen 1 Experience All except even more potent.

Considering that Eevee is the most genetically diverse Pokémon it has a really terrible move pool for all of its evolutions.

• Locked thread