Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

To quote Shang Tsung: IT HAS BEGUN!

Zorak posted:

This is the only game in the portable series that I never played (came out too soon after Black/White) so I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Sitting in the sidecar totally blind this time!
I too am in the crowd who hasn't played this one either. Mostly because by the time I got my hands on Black, this got announced, so I skipped over Black 2.

Also, I'm glad to see Choro finally take the reigns as a male character. Who has (relatively) normalish hair, oddly enough. Then again, the female lead did inspire some...quirky fanart when she first got revealed because of her own hairstyle.

There's a Segway joke somewhere in there, but I just can't put it to comprehensible words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. History posted:

Major Story Spoilers.
Hey now, let's not jump ahead of things, okay?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Livewire42 posted:

Don't most of the games let you refight gym leaders with powered up teams later on?
Only in Sinnoh/Unova/X&Y games. HG/SS allows you to fight a stronger version of the Elite 4 teams in the post game (since they were locked to Gen 1/Gen 2 monsters the first time through) as part of the new content for the re-release.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

You can re-fight HG/SS gym leaders, but only in a really roundabout and specific way. You need to phone them up, but to do that you need their numbers which can only be found in arbitrary and specific ways depending on the day of the week.
Riiight, I forgot the phone system. Mostly because Joey and his Rattata would never SHUT UP. :argh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

:stare:
Man, the Pokemon world is harsh when you stop to think about things like this.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 7, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wow. And I thought the first Unova games had fun with the music. The sequels not only continue that trend, but go even further. Even the little things like stopping the drums because you talked to the drummer is a nice touch.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Oh no, what have they done to Zsa Zsa!? :gonk:
Don't worry, it's not Zsa Zsa.

At least, I sure as hell hope it's not her. :ohdear:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Chorocojo posted:

I'm genuinely sad I can't raise a Leafeon or Glaceon in this game. Both special stones are only in post-game areas.
That is a shame. I used Leafeon in Platinum and the little guy was very effective as a Grass-type.

Could never really find a way to use Glaceon outside of Pokedex completion, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man...the redesign of Burgh's gym is....odd. I mean, the silk cocoons fit into his Bug theme, but it's at the cost of the nice art theme the old design had. Now, all there is to show that art theme are just some paint buckets and colored water in Burgh's...room? Studio?

But, wow. Burgh's team got tougher. I see he dropped his Whirlipede and decided to use some of the other Bug types (at least in Challenge mode) available in Unova.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm still confused as to why she got glasses in this game if she didn't need them in the last one.
Some people can handle contacts. Others can't for whatever reason. Bianca falls into the latter category.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yep, Volt Switch is still annoying as hell. I get that it was intended as a helpful way to swap out a nearly-dead Pokemon for a healthy one, but when the AI does it over and over again, it just loses its value and becomes irritating. Just like how Protect and Detect became total frustrations.

Although, I'm still on the fence about Whitney's Murdercow being less annoying than this battle. I'm leaning more into Whitney's favor. Mostly since I haven't played Black 2 yet. And Volt Switch didn't make me want to summon the entire Lovecraft pantheon like Whitney's Miltank did.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Actually, Lucario replaced nobody in Smash Bros. Mewtwo was intended to be in Brawl as well, but he was cut due to time constraints. His unfinished data can be found on the game's disc :eng101:

Nintendo, please bring Mewtwo back in SSB4 so his fanboys can stop hating on Lucario for no reason.
Lucario DID beat out someone for the Brawl roster: Blaziken. However, it was for the the "new Pokemon character debut" for Brawl. Blaziken was going to be in Brawl as the new Pokemon addition, but then the Lucario and the Mystery of Mew movie came out and Lucario was included to co-promote the movie, just how Roy made it into Melee to promote Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Anyway, I continue to be apathetic towards Hugh. I don't hate him, and I don't find him that memorable either.
That's my feeling as well. Hugh's kind of an amalgamation of a few previous rivals in the series (he's got Gary and Silver's attitude coupled with Barry/Jorge's spazzy personality), but he doesn't build upon those elements and make his own character. As a result, Hugh's just kind of...there. He's further hampered by following up Cheren and Bianca, who I consider two of the better rival characters in the series. In short, Hugh had the deck stacked against him from the start and doesn't do much to overcome the odds, causing a mix of "Uuggghhh" and "Meh" reactions from the audience.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Hugh's not even a rival really, he's just this guy who ropes you into his Team Plasma revengequest at every opportunity.

I'm just not sure what point he serves. I mean Team Plasma are pretty obviously a bunch of dicks, you don't need this guy screaming about a single stolen critter at every location in the game to remind you of this fact.
Exactly, Hugh fails at even being the rival character, hence why I said he's just "there". All previous rivals have tried to either surpass the player character in some way or at least pose a challenge to the player (yes, even Bianca for some time). Hugh? He's such a spaz that you don't know what he's supposed to be: "Ah, he's going to be the rival...no wait, he's got his own thing happening...no wait, he's got a grudge against Team Plasma...no wait..." It's like the staff wanted to do several different things with Hugh, but then took the basic outlines and shoved them into a single character without refining them so they worked cohesively. What you're left with is probably one of the worst things you can do with character design: a character so pointless that removing them from the game has little to no impact on the narrative as a whole.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Charles. :allears:
Yes, he's basically a tutorial fight, but they went ahead and made him into a character with a personality instead of making the Rotation/Triple Battle tutorial be done with a generic NPC. And I like that; it's a small touch that goes a long way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Good to see that Clay is still a tough fight, even if all he did was drop Palpitoad for Sandslash and add Onix in challenge mode. And that's nothing to say about his signature Poke, Excadrill. That thing can, as tlarn put it, utterly wreck your poo poo if it is raised properly and/or has a trainer who knows how to use Excadrill effectively. And Arceus help you if it has a Jolly nature on top of its impressive stats.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm still trying to understand why Gen6 made Drowzee and Hypno have to rely on a TM to get Dream Eater. That...that makes no sense. :psyduck:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ghost sex posted:

Red was saying it's been that way up through to gen6. Drowzee and hypno have never been able to learn Dream Eater by any method other than tutor or TM.

Who even loving knows why
Ah, I misread it. My bad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Dreyden is basically pokemon Mike Haggar, and that's just cool.
Except, instead of a metal pipe, Drayden uses dragons to beat violent street gangs into submission.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Knowing him, he does so by picking up his dragons and using them as bludgeons. That or biting with that bear trap he hides in his beard.
Why not both options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well...the plot certainly...went downhill, as you said Choro.

I just hope the next update goes for maximum silliness and has Drayden suplex the giant ice crystal blocking the way. There's no other way to cap off a giant flying sailing ship with a cannon that shoots ice crystals showing up out of nowhere.

• Locked thread