Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Lol, after running CM exclusively since I got my first Android 6 years ago, I kept my Note 4 unrooted specifically because I was loving sick of my phone's OS being constantly broken. The only gripes I even have with the drat thing are basically "can't ad block", "can't titanium backup", "system menu/config tray/notification shade have a suboptimal layout". That poo poo is all super tolerable.

Running any custom rom (even CM) these days feels a bit like installing a bunch of broken rear end shell hacks and themers on modern windows because you want your Win 95 start menu and theme back.

And this is exactly why places like XDA suck now.

Everything major has been baked in at this point Battery management, Extra context menus, MMS, Etc. Remember some WINMO sprint phones not having MMS? HTC Touch anyone? Or hell, the phone simply not working out of the box but having great hardware. Entire HTC Diamond era, Galaxy S1s, Gingerbread era in general. Ugh. Smart phones used to suck so bad.

And everything "Minor" like disliking the SMS app or whatever, can be replaced by nice streamline versions from Google.

I mean, I guess theres some reason for root since app data backup can be a mother fucker without it. And I can totally understand maybe some weird app for work or whatever that isnt all cloud setup and poo poo, then also wrote by a moron who didnt have an export/import backup options for it. But man, for most people these days? No point. Even battery life we bitch about these days is soooo much better than my old Winmo poo poo got. Blackberry tho? Days.

I just see very little reason for actual custom roms these days. Not for normal non critical non goons anyways.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
So I've had this G3 for about a week and I've been... Mostly happy with it. But holy poo poo the is LG just like 10 years behind on battery tech compared to everyone else? Every LG phone I've had has had a battery life 8-10hrs less than a comparable phone from another company. This G3 is lasting on average 14hrs with moderate use.

My old Note 2 held a steady 22hrs for 2 years before starting to show signs of age.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

EbolaIvory posted:

And this is exactly why places like XDA suck now.

Everything major has been baked in at this point Battery management, Extra context menus, MMS, Etc. Remember some WINMO sprint phones not having MMS? HTC Touch anyone? Or hell, the phone simply not working out of the box but having great hardware. Entire HTC Diamond era, Galaxy S1s, Gingerbread era in general. Ugh. Smart phones used to suck so bad.

And everything "Minor" like disliking the SMS app or whatever, can be replaced by nice streamline versions from Google.

I mean, I guess theres some reason for root since app data backup can be a mother fucker without it. And I can totally understand maybe some weird app for work or whatever that isnt all cloud setup and poo poo, then also wrote by a moron who didnt have an export/import backup options for it. But man, for most people these days? No point. Even battery life we bitch about these days is soooo much better than my old Winmo poo poo got. Blackberry tho? Days.

I just see very little reason for actual custom roms these days. Not for normal non critical non goons anyways.
This is exactly right. There are a couple of minor reasons for rooting and zero reason for ROMs, depending of course that you made a good decision when you bought your device. If you didn't, well, TouchWiz resembles Gingerbread in more ways that just the appearance.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

This is exactly right. There are a couple of minor reasons for rooting and zero reason for ROMs, depending of course that you made a good decision when you bought your device. If you didn't, well, TouchWiz resembles Gingerbread in more ways that just the appearance.
My friend still installs CM on his Nexus devices because he runs a theme to turn every single app black.

He bought a N9 and already has a N5 and he wants to do the same thing to Lollipop and can't wait for CM12 to release.

:psyduck:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

My friend still installs CM on his Nexus devices because he runs a theme to turn every single app black.

He bought a N9 and already has a N5 and he wants to do the same thing to Lollipop and can't wait for CM12 to release.

Some people still don't get the LCD battery life isn't improved by dark colours.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It looks cool though. :colbert:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Whizbang posted:

It looks cool though. :colbert:
No, it looks bad. Black UIs are just horrible, dreary things.

Tunga posted:

"Some men you just can't reach."

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

Some people still don't get the LCD battery life isn't improved by dark colours.
Nope, he does it because "it's easier to read".

There are a couple of specific cases where I prefer dark UIs, most notably any desktop IDE I use always goes on the dark UI option. I'm not sure exactly why I prefer that, it may be partly to do with syntax highlighting being clearer against a dark background, or maybe it's just because I'm often staring at the same screen for long periods.

But not for my phone, urgh, what the hell. Lollipop makes such great use of color, I cannot imagine turning it all black.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's a lot easier on the eyes, longterm. There's a reason that IDEs and draughting programs like AutoCAD offer light-on-black modes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Chas McGill posted:

It's a lot easier on the eyes, longterm. There's a reason that IDEs and draughting programs like AutoCAD offer light-on-black modes.
If you're staring at your phone to the point to where you're getting eyestrain, well, it isn't the UI color that's your problem.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

LastInLine posted:

If you're staring at your phone to the point to where you're getting eyestrain, well, it isn't the UI color that's your problem.
True.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I just received my 2013 Moto X Developer Edition to replace my RAZR MAXX HD and I don't really remember the last time I replaced my phone (it's been around since the time this phone came out) so I need a little help.

Do I take the SIM card out of the RAZR MAXX and swap it with the one in the Moto X?

Is there a way to "unlock" my RAZR MAXX HD (not hack, I mean unlock like what Verizon requires people in good standing to be able to do for use overseas or on other carriers or whatever) or was that only with phones of the past?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is anyone using Ambient Display on the 2014 Moto X? I decided to try it out just to see and while I prefer the way it lays out notifications I'm probably going back to Moto Display. The one thing that's kind of bugging me though is how the gently caress Ambient Display is supposed to work; it almost always lights up the screen twice on the arrival of a notification but then it also seems to light up the screen randomly. Like, on the drive in to work I had the phone in my car dock and now and then it would just light up the clock even though no new notifications came in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e: nevermind

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 19, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Moto/Active Display will "breathe" like that as well, I'm surprised you never noticed it before. Ambient Display can't use any of the custom sensors that Motorolla implemented though.

Either way, I can't imagine it uses dramatically more battery even if it pulses a little more often.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Hace posted:

Moto/Active Display will "breathe" like that as well, I'm surprised you never noticed it before. Ambient Display can't use any of the custom sensors that Motorolla implemented though.

Either way, I can't imagine it uses dramatically more battery even if it pulses a little more often.

I know Moto Display breathes, what I'm getting at is that Ambient Display is totally weird about when it shows. My impression was that it would only light up once on notification arrival but there seems to be something that triggers it to display again at random intervals.

It's kind of a pointless endeavor to find out, I guess.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

You have hundreds of posts in a cell phone thread.

Melmac posted:

Is there a way to "unlock" my RAZR MAXX HD (not hack, I mean unlock like what Verizon requires people in good standing to be able to do for use overseas or on other carriers or whatever) or was that only with phones of the past?

It's ready to go. No need to unlock on Verizon.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hace posted:

Edit: I think I misread what you're talking about, but oh, well, point still stands, even if you weren't talking about the N6.

It should still be able to work as well as the one for the old Moto X worked though - which it doesn't. The implementation of Ambient Display is pretty mediocre compared to what Motorola has shown. Doesn't trigger always when you lift the phone up, but does trigger sometimes in the pocket.
Active Display isn't perfect - for example it's rather annoying if you have set any type of lock, because now you're basically have to unlock twice - but it's far, far better than what Google built, especially on the new Moto X with its fancy infrared sensors.

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 19, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Decius posted:

It should still be able to work as well as the one for the old Moto X worked though - which it doesn't. The implementation of Ambient Display is pretty mediocre compared to what Motorola has shown. Doesn't trigger always when you lift the phone up, but does trigger sometimes in the pocket.
Active Display isn't perfect - for example it's rather annoying if you have set any type of lock, because now you're basically have to unlock twice - but it's far, far better than what Google built, especially on the new Moto X with its fancy infrared sensors.

Oh yeah I'm not saying the implementation works as well as Moto's solution (especially since that's built around the custom SoC), I was just pointing out that the device is supposed to breathe either way.

To deal with the double unlock problem I actually just got a Moto Keylink to use as a trusted device, which works pretty well.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I wouldn't mind if Moto just redesigned the UI for Moto Display to look like Google's Ambient Display. I find Ambient Display's layout to be better, plus I like that it shows more notifications than Moto Display. Moto Display works far better though thanks to the X's hardware stuff.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Chikimiki posted:

Yeah but still, shouldn't a phone be useable without lag for more than one year or two OS updates? Especially if it's supposed to be a kind of a flagship :/

App updates and downloads do slow down the phone a lot, but that's in addition to the overall lag. It's really jarring, especially as it was blazing fast when I got it.

Could be an app problem indeed, but I wouldn't know which one could cause it... I've used "Usage Timeline Free" to check, but it didn't give me any useful feedback, only that the system processes used a lot of memory :v: Any recommendation for a good cpu load logging app?

Backup what you really need, do a factory reset only install/run what you really need. Make sure to not let you're phone get more than about 60% full (I fully expect to be told this isn't required anymore).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Considering there's people in here posting from their showers...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

Considering there's people in here posting from their showers...

I'm going to an indoor water park with my kids over the holiday break, I can't wait to bust this bad boy out. My only concern is if the water will have any effect on the tempered glass screen protectors and/or the adhesive. Can't wait to freak people out.

That being said, any real world advice on using the phone in the water? high chlorine counts/ etc? The only time I was brave enough to test the water was when my neighbors were trash talking my choice of Android over their iPhone 6s and I just threw the whole damned phone in a glass of water. Their reactions were PFG.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

TraderStav posted:

The only time I was brave enough to test the water was when my neighbors were trash talking my choice of Android over their iPhone 6s and I just threw the whole damned phone in a glass of water. Their reactions were PFG.

Way to defend your phone's honor!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You have hundreds of posts in a cell phone thread.
Pretty sure I'm well into the thousands* if you take the three Android threads I regularly participate in as an aggregate. If you're keeping score all were on a MacBook with the light translucent theme in Yosemite or in Awful and later Something all on the bright, stock theme.

If anything, that's evidence for my position that dark themes aren't necessary! :v:

*Edit: Just checked out of curiosity and between the this thread, the current device thread, and the current rooted thread I have exactly 3999 posts.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 19, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TraderStav posted:

The only time I was brave enough to test the water was when my neighbors were trash talking my choice of Android over their iPhone 6s and I just threw the whole damned phone in a glass of water. Their reactions were PFG.

You did it man. Glad you're fighting for the cause.

:bravo:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

If anything, that's evidence for my position that dark themes aren't necessary! :v:

Gingerbread4lyfe :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The biggest surprise on the Nexus 6 for me so far, and the most amazing part, is the speakers. Holy gently caress this is the loudest phone I've ever owned, gone are the days of a consistently maxed out volume slider.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

The biggest surprise on the Nexus 6 for me so far, and the most amazing part, is the speakers. Holy gently caress this is the loudest phone I've ever owned, gone are the days of a consistently maxed out volume slider.

And its actual stereo, not just two mono speakers.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CLAM DOWN posted:

They're second only to the One M8, that I've used at least.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Skeezy posted:

You did it man. Glad you're fighting for the cause.

:bravo:

Not really what I was getting at, but thanks. I'm no evangelist. It's a pretty nice psych out feature.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay so how do I enable this voicemail in hangouts thing? Can I not do it because my GV number is different from my T-Mobile number?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is anyone on a Droid MAXX having an issue with OK Google Now? When I say OK Google Now, it wakes up and shows "Good Afternoon" with the microphone but won't register any speech. Regular "OK Google" with the phone unlocked works fine, though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skeezy posted:

Okay so how do I enable this voicemail in hangouts thing? Can I not do it because my GV number is different from my T-Mobile number?

If you've enabled Hangouts-GV integration then voicemails from calls to your GV number should show up in Hangouts.

If you want voicemails for calls made to your TMobile number to show up in Hangouts then you need to set GV as your voicemail provider in the Dialer options. This does not work if you are on a prepaid plan!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Two questions:

1. Why doesn't android have a built in theme manager like windows? I should be able to change the default colors especially with material design apps. Who said gmail has to be red and hangouts green? Why can I make all the apps the same color that I get to choose?

2. Running 5.0.1 on nexus 5. I turn off wifi but in the battery stats it still shows as being on, solid bar no breaks. Whats the deal with that? In kitkat when I turned off wifi it would stop showing up in battery stats as turned on. I have scanning while turned off disabled in wifi settings.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 19, 2014

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

The Merkinman posted:

So considering I've never heard of AmongTech nor AndroidPIT, what does everyone think is the authenticity of leaked Android 5.1 features?
Wow, AmongTech is on top of things! Forget 5.1, now they have information on Android 6 :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
1) Because simplicity? Branding? There's a million reasons app makers (Google especially) don't cater to weird edge wants.
2) Stop turning off wifi or don't join networks you're only going to use occasionally. Leaving it on has a negligible negative impact to battery life.

Closing thread. New one with minimal effort put into the OP will be put up shortly.

Edit: oh hey, post here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689060

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 19, 2014

• Locked thread