Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

b0nes posted:

Liking my N5 so far. Speakerphone could be a lot louder. I was considering the HTC One because of the Boomsound.
Getting through the day with the battery so far, with light to medium usage. I just use navigation once in a while, texting, I don't play games. Phone is unbelievably fast.

Speaker volume issues are a known problem and will be fixed with a software update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

b0nes posted:

Liking my N5 so far. Speakerphone could be a lot louder. I was considering the HTC One because of the Boomsound.
Getting through the day with the battery so far, with light to medium usage. I just use navigation once in a while, texting, I don't play games. Phone is unbelievably fast.

Thanks for the update. I'm probably going to be playing a few games on this thing. Puzzles and Dragons and other forms of crack. Anyone have any experience with snes emulators or android games on the S4, note 3, or N5?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Tahm Bwady posted:

Is the Nexus 5 at all worth switching to Sprint for? I have Verizon and a GNex currently and my contract is finally up, but I'm not sure if the Nexus is all that better than the Droid Maxx, G2, etc. for me to give up Unlimited and deal with Sprint (who's so-so around my parts) Basically help me IYG I'm bad at making phone decisions :ohdear:

Since everyone is (mostly rightfully) making GBS threads all over Sprint, let me offer a counterpoint:

If you are in an area that's undergone their LTE rollout they are the best provider. Yeah, I said it. You can get 10-15% off your bill because they have discounts for everything from credit unions to schools to pretty much every business ever. They are cheaper to begin with. You get truly unlimited data (again, only a selling point if you can get decent speeds from them). And if you end up in a place where you have to roam - you great voice coverage from big V as a last resort. I live in west Michigan and while I'd love to go to T-Mobile (unlocked phones and even cheaper plans) they have NO COVERAGE once you start heading north. I have seen Sprint LTE in the middle of nowhere in northern Michigan and if I wanted that from anyone else it'd be Verizon at a huge price premium.

I was about ready to switch from Sprint because of the abysmal speeds. My best LTE speedtest on a fairly major highway was 35mb/s down. I see 5-10mb/s all the time. Frankly it's awesome and I can't think of any wireless provider that offers a better combination of price and performance IN MY AREA.

So yeah, your mileage may vary.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

bull3964 posted:

I know you were in involved in the X so it's a bit of a pride point for you, but this is a bit misleading.

The MAXX is literally an X with a larger screen, more storage, and bigger battery with slightly different branding.

If size is a concern, buy the X, if battery life is more important, buy the MAXX.

Good point. That being said, I would still encourage someone comparing the two phones to check out reviews for the two devices -- I don't think it was only The Verge that largely preferred the Moto X.

In the end, we're talking about PHONES FOR MOMS, so I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So, is there a way to change my ringer and text sounds to my own? I have files in my google drive I thought I'd use, but it doesn't seem to give me the option anywhere to do this. Kind of odd since even my Katana II could do this.

edit: I especially need to change my alarm sound. I've been waking up to the sound of Sonic Drowning for 10 years and nothing wakes me up better.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Put the files into the Ringtones or Notifications folder, then restart the phone. Or, download an app like ES File Explorer- it will allow you to select audio from anywhere on your phone.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Khanstant posted:

So, is there a way to change my ringer and text sounds to my own? I have files in my google drive I thought I'd use, but it doesn't seem to give me the option anywhere to do this. Kind of odd since even my Katana II could do this.

edit: I especially need to change my alarm sound. I've been waking up to the sound of Sonic Drowning for 10 years and nothing wakes me up better.

Have you downloaded them from Google Drive? You need the files to be on your phone.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

LastInLine posted:

Sprint is great if you want poo poo coverage, shittier speeds, and horrible devices. The only reason anyone uses Sprint is due to a combination of poverty and ignorance.

The thing about Sprint, is that (even more so than other carriers) it's totally dependent on area. If you live in an area where Network Vision has come through, they're totally fine. If you're in a legacy area, don't expect to use data at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Athenry posted:

Have you downloaded them from Google Drive? You need the files to be on your phone.

I did, I have them in my phone download folder. Not sure how to select them for text, call, or alarm sounds. The options within the settings for those things only lets me select from a list of default sounds.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Khanstant posted:

I did, I have them in my phone download folder. Not sure how to select them for text, call, or alarm sounds. The options within the settings for those things only lets me select from a list of default sounds.

You'll need to get them into your Music or ringtones folder either by plugging into a computer and moving them there or ES file explorer or something. Or use something like Rings Extended to pick them.

schemie
May 3, 2004

Philosopher King posted:

Thanks for the update. I'm probably going to be playing a few games on this thing. Puzzles and Dragons and other forms of crack. Anyone have any experience with snes emulators or android games on the S4, note 3, or N5?

I got my note 3 about a week ago. Since then I have rooted it and installed a SNES emulator and a bunch of android games. I have nothing but good things to say. Everything runs super smooth. I've been using a ps3 sixaxis controller and for the emulator and the games that support it it rocks.

I just switched to android from iOS and I am super happy I did.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Had a big scare at work today with my N5.

I was carrying out a rather large steel frame with another guy which must have weighed around 80kgs due to it being so long and tall, I had my right hand holding the bottom and propping it up with my left.

Just before we put it down my left hand started to loose its grip and the leg of the frame dug into my right quad, right around where my phone was in my pocket.

I'm pretty sure it was actually on the screen, it tore a hole in my shorts that went right through to the pocket, but my screen came out completely fine.

The funny part about it was that I deliberately didn't start using it until yesterday even though I got it on Tuesday as last year I dropped my phone and smashed it to bits after a Food and Wine festival this time last year, so I purposely made myself not use it in case I did the same thing again this year.

Now the hunt for a decent case, I've got a cheap neoprene sleeve to stick over it for the time being.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks. Hooked it up to my computer. Much preferred over downloading an app.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Puddin posted:

weighed around 80kgs the frame dug into my right quad, right around where my phone was in my pocket.

I'm pretty sure it was actually on the screen, it tore a hole in my shorts that went right through to the pocket, but my screen came out completely fine.

There's a nonzero chance that it will just shatter in your pocket someday or the next time it falls 8" on to the ground. Even if you didn't visibly break anything now, there's a good chance you overstressed something you shouldn't have.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Hadlock posted:

There's a nonzero chance that it will just shatter in your pocket someday or the next time it falls 8" on to the ground. Even if you didn't visibly break anything now, there's a good chance you overstressed something you shouldn't have.

Yeah I know, that's what I'm worried about. But at the end of the day, it's only up to $400 to replace it with a complete brand new one if it can't be repaired if it does go, which is not too bad.

It's basically why I've decided to just stick with the nexus devices now, other phones may have other features and the like, but they are always like double the price. Breaking something like that would poo poo me to no end, but I can live with it if it's at around the Nexus price range.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Just updated my HTC One, and now I can't choose the lockscreen? The option has disappeared from the 'personalise' section of the options :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Has anyone here run adb logcat on a N5 with ART already? Does it still use the GC?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

God drat my Nexus 5 came in the mail today, replacing my HTC Desire HD which was my first ever smart phone. Had her for about 3 years or so, but hoooo she's dead to me now.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I installed a kitkat ROM ripped from the N5 on my N4 and enabled ART first chance I got. Holy poo poo, for the first time I have no real complaints about the performance of an android phone - the little pauses when you open an app or open up google now or go back to the homescreen are basically gone and it's honestly way more amazing than it has any right to be for a change that's basically 'you don't have to wait for the phone to do stuff anymore'. Battery life is kind of diminished, but then again I was using a super mature optimized ROM/kernel/governor setup on 4.3 that I just don't have on this prerelease stuff.

I don't know whether it's the kitkat bloat-trimming, ART or the governor that I'm using and frankly I don't care, it's just really pleasant to use. Considering this is on hardware that's thoroughly mid-range at this point the hardware in the N5 seems like utter overkill - I think I'll be happy using this phone for the next year or so. The good old android scroll lag still exists in an almost imperceptible capacity, particularly in chrome (which apart from that seems to be finally as fast as the old stock android browser, for some reason it wasn't at launch which always felt faintly bizarre to me) but everything else just flies - I'm not waiting 5 seconds for search results to show up anymore, there's no half-second lag whenever you do anything that changes/opens an app, and even the dialer keys respond immediately when you press them (before it took about half a second for your touch to register which was really weird for something as simple as that). It's like the speed you get when you've got a clean ROM in the first few minutes before everything inevitably bogged down for some reason, except better and lasting what seems like indefinitely.

One caveat - the compass doesn't work. Pretty sure I can live with that.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 11, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like Motomaker's finally available for all carriers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So my phone is still on the fritz. I have a Nexus 4 running stock Android 4.3 with a handful of apps (Facebook, SwiftKey, etc). It keeps on crashing and it's done something twice that is making me somewhat suspicious: it has changed the wallpaper on me.

What should I do? Hard reset? How do I back up my SMS and whatnot?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Generic Monk posted:

I was using a super mature optimized ROM/kernel/governor setup on 4.3

the dialer keys respond immediately when you press them (before it took about half a second for your touch to register which was really weird for something as simple as that)

I'm curious what "super mature optimized" setup you were using where this happens. I'm on a CM nightly from two days ago with the built-in kernel and pretty standard governor settings and the dialer buttons are not slow to respond.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Phone posted:

So my phone is still on the fritz. I have a Nexus 4 running stock Android 4.3 with a handful of apps (Facebook, SwiftKey, etc). It keeps on crashing and it's done something twice that is making me somewhat suspicious: it has changed the wallpaper on me.

What should I do? Hard reset? How do I back up my SMS and whatnot?

The crashes on stock sound worrisome, are you within the warranty window? There are some apps designed for changing your wallpaper automatically, maybe you downloaded a slideshow app or toggled a setting and didn't realize it? Not really sure about unprompted swapped wallpapers, never heard of it happening to anyone before.

For SMS stuff, SMS Backup+ has made it pretty painless for me to blackmail everyone have a searchable index of texts. I've never tried the Restore option, but it backs up your SMS+MMS to a Gmail folder of your choice.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Grumpwagon posted:

The thing about Sprint, is that (even more so than other carriers) it's totally dependent on area. If you live in an area where Network Vision has come through, they're totally fine. If you're in a legacy area, don't expect to use data at all.

Even if NV has rolled through your area it's still very hit or miss, at least in my experience.

Only time I'm guaranteed a good LTE signal is when I'm outside or on a highway. Indoors at my workplace or at home? Nope.

Unless they are still working on towers here (STL Metro East), I'm less than impressed with the LTE rollout.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

sweart gliwere posted:

The crashes on stock sound worrisome, are you within the warranty window? There are some apps designed for changing your wallpaper automatically, maybe you downloaded a slideshow app or toggled a setting and didn't realize it? Not really sure about unprompted swapped wallpapers, never heard of it happening to anyone before.

For SMS stuff, SMS Backup+ has made it pretty painless for me to blackmail everyone have a searchable index of texts. I've never tried the Restore option, but it backs up your SMS+MMS to a Gmail folder of your choice.

I was one of the lucky ones who refreshed the Play store at 11:30am when the N4 launched... I'm doubting a warranty. Both times it changed it to the same exact wallpaper. The last app I downloaded was Twitter, but everything else is bog standard stuff.

I'll go Google around.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Krime posted:

Even if NV has rolled through your area it's still very hit or miss, at least in my experience.

Only time I'm guaranteed a good LTE signal is when I'm outside or on a highway. Indoors at my workplace or at home? Nope.

Unless they are still working on towers here (STL Metro East), I'm less than impressed with the LTE rollout.

This is because the radio frequency Sprint uses for LTE right now (1900mhz/2500mhz) isn't great at penetrating buildings. They are rolling out 800mhz LTE which will have much greater range and penetration capability but that isn't live in all their markets yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Does AT&T do anything particularly lovely to Moto X's or are they the same across all the carriers?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

Does AT&T do anything particularly lovely to Moto X's or are they the same across all the carriers?

Same except the carrier-specific bloat.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Thermopyle posted:

I've got some at&t apps I can't get rid of obviously, and it seems to ignore the "do not auto-connect to at&t wifi hotspots" because even thought that's set I seem to connect as I drive by any Starbucks which sometimes freaks Pocket Casts out.

Note: I'm on an AT&T Moto X but using Straight Talk.

Other than that nothing I've noticed.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

nimper posted:

This is because the radio frequency Sprint uses for LTE right now (1900mhz/2500mhz) isn't great at penetrating buildings. They are rolling out 800mhz LTE which will have much greater range and penetration capability but that isn't live in all their markets yet.

Assuming this 800mhz frequency will require a new phone (Note 2) and will take years to rollout?

What about ATT and Verizon and their frequencies?

I complain and get grumpy about this, but I also know the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

According to wikipedia the S3 LTE (i9305) can pick up the LTE 800 band. It might just depend on the chip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Krime posted:

What about ATT and Verizon and their frequencies?

ATT and Verizon both use 700mhz bands for LTE. Verizon is also rolling out additional capacity on AWS at 1700mhz as smaller cell sites in urban areas to help with loading. All phones on Verizon release after mid 2012 support that band, but they need a software update to use it. The SGS4 got that update recently.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The N5 supports 800 MHz as well, doesn't it?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Is the nexus 4 price basically stabilized at this point? My current phone is pretty much dead in the water much sooner than anticipated, and I won't be able to wait 1-2 months for a 5 to arrive, so im debating the merits of grabbing a 4 and flipping it in 2-3 months for the nexus 5.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Getting really good standby/idle time on my N5. Going on 30 hours and at 50% on a mix of LTE and wifi.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 screen not turning on after you pull it away from your face to hang up? Everything's locked and I have to ask the person on the other end to hang up so I can use my phone. Somewhat awkward.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

nimper posted:

And if you're in a market within a couple hundred miles of Canada, don't expect to see 800MHz LTE ever because they're not deploying it there due to fears of the signal bleeding over the border.

Frankly, dropping my SERO plan and moving to T-Mobile was well worth it. The Network Vision rollout is over half a year behind schedule where I live and falling further, what towers have had LTE rolled out are the same speed as their 3G (probably due to backhaul issues), and there are all sorts of random reception issues here. T-Mobile's 3G in my area is actually faster than Sprint's LTE is.

Mister Biff
Dec 26, 2006

Philosopher King posted:

So how are all of you guys liking your Nexus 5s?

I know I'm late to the party, but I actually bought a 32GB N5 on a whim to "replace" my "aging" HTC One. I think I was attracted to the idea of the stock Android experience, which I missed coming from a Galaxy Nexus.

I'm still teetering, but there's an even chance that I'll end up returning it. The device is impressive as hell, and if I had come from probably any other phone, I would keep it. The things that bother me about the One (non-standard button layout, Sense, AT&T bloatware) are largely fixed by rooting. I'm also contemplating putting a ROM on it to get rid of the stuff that REALLY bugs me (linked ringtone/notification volumes, having to manually replace all the Sense stuff). But it still bugs the poo poo out of me that the phone doesn't like flat.

As far as the N5 goes, I'm having a lot of issues with the new SMS setup, now that I've restored all of my texts from my old phone. Textra flat-out refused to work for a day or two, and even 8sms crashed a few times. I'm willing to chalk this stuff up growing pains of a new OS, but it's really frustrating to have these types of problems, knowing that I paid $399 -- I should be blown away, and I'm simply not.

Bottom line, I should have just waited the 6 months to upgrade. :doh:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
If you wanted stock Android, why not just install the Google Edition ROM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ragingsheep posted:

If you wanted stock Android, why not just install the Google Edition ROM?

Faster cpu, larger display. wireless charging.

• Locked thread