Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kreeblah posted:

And if you're in a market within a couple hundred miles of Canada, don't expect to see 800MHz LTE ever because they're not deploying it there due to fears of the signal bleeding over the border.

Reminds me of being at a business conference at Niagara Falls a few years back and my phone kept bouncing between US and Canadian carriers. I could walk to a window and my phone could see AT&T, and I'd be able to make a call without paying 79 cents a minute. If I was inside, it would see Rogers, and I'd get rogered if I tried to make a call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Biff
Dec 26, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

If you wanted stock Android, why not just install the Google Edition ROM?

That's a valid point, and it'll probably be my next step.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
I've seen a few people post reviews of wireless chargers -- is there a defacto recommendation for those? I want to buy one for my home and one for my office.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mfaley posted:

I've seen a few people post reviews of wireless chargers -- is there a defacto recommendation for those? I want to buy one for my home and one for my office.

If you want cheap get the WCP-300 or the Nokia 900 one

If you want expensive get the Tylt Vu

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Don't get the Nokia if you have a Nexus 4. It works great on the Nexus 5 and 7 though.

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Don't get the Nokia if you have a Nexus 4. It works great on the Nexus 5 and 7 though.

Why not for the Nexus 4? All three devices are Qi-compatible aren't they?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Aineris posted:

Yes but the DT900 and N4 just don't play nice with each other. Placing the phone on that particular charger requires pin point precision of a sniper or the phone will just cycle between charging and not eventually running itself out due to awake time. With the 5 and 7 I just slap it on there.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes but the DT900 and N4 just don't play nice with each other. Placing the phone on that particular charger requires pin point precision of a sniper or the phone will just cycle between charging and not eventually running itself out due to awake time. With the 5 and 7 I just slap it on there.

Did you end up adding magnets to it? I have 3 on the way and I'd like to try adding them to hold it in my desk while tilted.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Powers posted:

Did you end up adding magnets to it? I have 3 on the way and I'd like to try adding them to hold it in my desk while tilted.

No but I've been considering it. After a weekend of cats knocking my phone off the charger god drat constantly I figure it would probably help.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

leidend posted:

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 screen not turning on after you pull it away from your face to hang up? Everything's locked and I have to ask the person on the other end to hang up so I can use my phone. Somewhat awkward.

I haven't had any issues so far, but I've only had the phone for a week.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Hah, awesome. Ordered 2 white 32 Gigs on friday around 1PM, with a "leave the warehouse by Nov. 22nd" date. They were shipped earlier (They were dispatched at 1AM, thanks graveyard shift!), and will be here tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dradien posted:

Hah, awesome. Ordered 2 white 32 Gigs on friday around 1PM, with a "leave the warehouse by Nov. 22nd" date. They were shipped earlier (They were dispatched at 1AM, thanks graveyard shift!), and will be here tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited.

Reading this is so frustrating, I ordered on Nov 1st, and it shows a ship date of Nov 26 with not a hint otherwise :(

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Reading this is so frustrating, I ordered on Nov 1st, and it shows a ship date of Nov 26 with not a hint otherwise :(

Same boat for me. Nov 4th black 32gb still says 11/26. I wonder if they're getting in to the same poo poo they did with N4 where people waited for months before re-ordering and getting them shipped the next day and cancelling the old order.

Are there any other Qi docks like the vu? Or, better yet, actually cheap 3d-print services? I'd love to get something like https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:165608 printed for the DT-900, but gently caress if I'm going to pay 300-3000 bux for it from places like sculpteo, etc..

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Aineris posted:

Yes but the Nexus 4 has loving awful Qi compatibility.

I ended up making landing lights/markings for my Nexus 4:

Got a Nexus 5, much happier with the performance of my coworker's N5 on the Nokia charger.

N4 charging on the cheap chinese pads is pretty awful as well. Half a cm (no exaggeration) in either direction would melt your phone and barely keep it at it's current charge level)

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ship date of Nov 22nd for me, billed today :whoop:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 12, 2013

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Is there a way to cache maps offline on the N5 with current G-maps? I haven't seen anything intuitive from using the app and haven't found anything after a quick search.

As someone with a lot of rural family, cached maps are an asset, and I don't think there's any good reason for them to disable that in an upgrade. Must be missing something.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dradien posted:

The white one is far less popular, so that's why it ships a lot faster. Mine showed up almost a week ahead of my friend who ordered his black one before me. With a case on it you'll never see the color, so I just got the white one.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

sweart gliwere posted:

Is there a way to cache maps offline on the N5 with current G-maps? I haven't seen anything intuitive from using the app and haven't found anything after a quick search.

As someone with a lot of rural family, cached maps are an asset, and I don't think there's any good reason for them to disable that in an upgrade. Must be missing something.

Google it, there's a phrase you punch in.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Roseo posted:

Google it, there's a phrase you punch in.

phrase: ok maps

enjoy the fact that you have to type that in every time! :frogdowns: The only way not to is after you type it a bunch sometimes it shows up at the bottom of the search dropdown.

TLDR google is unfriendly to caching maps and I dislike it.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

SeaTard posted:

The white one is far less popular, so that's why it ships a lot faster. Mine showed up almost a week ahead of my friend who ordered his black one before me. With a case on it you'll never see the color, so I just got the white one.

That's why I ordered the white one. Like you said, I'll have a case, so the actual color makes no real difference.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Re: map caching:

I thought they'd received so much flak for that that they went back and added in a more explicit way to cache maps?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

hooah posted:

I thought they'd received so much flak for that that they went back and added in a more explicit way to cache maps?

It was plenty explicit in earlier versions. Somewhat hidden in 2011 but easy to find on the Galaxy Nexus since its Play Store debut. I actually did check the FAQ page linked-to within the app and didn't see anything about keywords. Weird.

edit: Haha, the current correct way is listed under iOS methods but not Android. Saw the tap-box-and-scroll but they didn't say it has to be a blank box.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 12, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hooah posted:

Re: map caching:

They did, sort of. Tap the box and scroll to the bottom and tap the "Make this map area available offline" card.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I have to say that after a few days with the N5 I'm somewhat surprised by how basic stock Android is. I'm coming from older phones that ran HTC Sense and Cyanogenmod, and I just assumed most of the features in those roms were part of Android. Things like quiet hours, increasing volume alarms, opening the music player when you plug in headphones, multiple icons on the lockscreen and all the little launcher customizations are missing. Not a big deal though, and I've replaced most of the functionality with apps for now.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Has anyone found a decent rubber case for the N5? I emailed BodyGlove, the plan to release a Satin case for it in December. I'm not a fan of the hard shell cases so I'm probably going to wait for it to come out.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 12, 2013

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

blargle posted:

I have to say that after a few days with the N5 I'm somewhat surprised by how basic stock Android is. I'm coming from older phones that ran HTC Sense and Cyanogenmod, and I just assumed most of the features in those roms were part of Android. Things like quiet hours, increasing volume alarms, opening the music player when you plug in headphones, multiple icons on the lockscreen and all the little launcher customizations are missing. Not a big deal though, and I've replaced most of the functionality with apps for now.

I'm right there with you. I've been able to recreate most of it with Tasker, but I was surprised how barebones feature-wise it was.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
So my Nexus 5 just showed up and one thing I'm noticing so far is that when I download an app the associated widgets don't show up in the list, until restart I believe. Am I doing it wrong somehow?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SmokeyXIII posted:

So my Nexus 5 just showed up and one thing I'm noticing so far is that when I download an app the associated widgets don't show up in the list, until restart I believe. Am I doing it wrong somehow?
Works fine for me. Are you using the stock launcher or something else?

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008

That is simply not true.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Works fine for me. Are you using the stock launcher or something else?

Stock I assume because I have no idea what you're talking about! Also is it possible to automatically sync pictures with your google drive?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SmokeyXIII posted:

Stock I assume because I have no idea what you're talking about! Also is it possible to automatically sync pictures with your google drive?
Are you looking in the drawer for the widgets? They've been moved back to long-pressing on the home screens. If your screen is full you can long-press where the dots are. Then pick widgets. For auto-upload, open Photos (the one with the pinwheel), hit the three dots in the top right, pick settings from the pop up and then go to Auto Backup to set it up.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008

That is simply not true.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Are you looking in the drawer for the widgets? They've been moved back to long-pressing on the home screens. If your screen is full you can long-press where the dots are. Then pick widgets. For auto-upload, open Photos (the one with the pinwheel), hit the three dots in the top right, pick settings from the pop up and then go to Auto Backup to set it up.

Thanks on the photos. The widgets just dont show up on the widget list until I restart. Strange!

E: Christ this thing is fast compared to my Desire HD full of metal shavings and baby spit (and I assume the corresponding rust).

SmokeyXIII fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 12, 2013

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Ashex posted:

Has anyone found a decent rubber case for the N5? I emailed BodyGlove, the plan to release a Satin case for it in December. I'm not a fan of the hard shell cases so I'm probably going to wait for it to come out.

Diztronic cases are amazing. I highly recommend this one.

http://amzn.com/B00FZ14E3S

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

blargle posted:

A few of those features used to be in AOSP, but were removed due to patent issues. In particular, increasing volume alarms and multiple icons on the lockscreen used to be in 4.1

As caretakers, Google usually has to be cautious when it comes to potential patent infringements, since everyone in the mobile space has gotten aggressively litigious. One good lawsuit against Android itself that results in import bans in a large market could pretty much sink some OEMs at this point.

Many questions that go "Why does Android do this in some dumb, roundabout way instead of this clearly logical one?" can be answered with "Because patents".

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 12, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

filthychimp posted:

A few of those features used to be in AOSP, but were removed due to patent issues. In particular, increasing volume alarms and multiple icons on the lockscreen used to be in 4.1

As caretakers, Google usually has to be cautious when it comes to potential patent infringements, since everyone in the mobile space has gotten aggressively litigious. One good lawsuit against Android itself that results in import bans in a large market could pretty much sink some OEMs at this point.

Many questions that go "Why does Android do this in some dumb, roundabout way instead of this clearly logical one?" can be answered with "Because patents".

And you can narrow that down further - Motorola got bought by Google, Microsoft/Nokia hasn't really pressed litigation against Google over software patents, RIM is ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The Entire Universe posted:

Microsoft/Nokia hasn't really pressed litigation against Google over software patents

They don't need to sue them directly.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/10/patent-war-goes-nuclear-microsoft-apple-owned-rockstar-sues-google/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

blargle posted:

That's actually quite a compliment to the CyanogenMod team as the stuff like Quiet Hours, Profiles, and the settings changes look and feel right at home in "stock" Android. Compare that to back in the Gingerbread days where it was quite obvious where stock ended and CM began and it's a testament to how well they work to have the mods work with the UX rather than tacked onto it or against it.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Ashex posted:

I got a Spigen case off Amazon, it is a little bulky and is super sensitive on the side buttons but I like it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Am I the only one who just keeps getting neoprene sleeves to replicate the Nexus One experience?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

LastInLine posted:

Am I the only one who just keeps getting neoprene sleeves to replicate the Nexus One experience?

Why do you like wasting more time pulling your phone out of your pocket?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Why do you like wasting more time pulling your phone out of your pocket?
I just pull it out of the sleeve at the same time. I usually have it in my shirt pocket while at work anyway so it's not like it's difficult to just grab the phone and it's way better than a case around it while in use.

I'll admit if I had a Nexus 4 I would've gone with a case but I'm on the odd cycle and the wife's on the even so it never came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The neoprene sleeve my nexus one came with not only wore the paint off the sides, but did nothing to protect it when it was in my hands if I dropped it.

• Locked thread