Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I just pull it out of the sleeve at the same time. I usually have it in my shirt pocket while at work anyway so it's not like it's difficult to just grab the phone and it's way better than a case around it while in use.

Do you often drop your phone while it is in your pocket? I don't understand the purpose of only protecting it in your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

For auto-upload, open Photos (the one with the pinwheel), hit the three dots in the top right, pick settings from the pop up and then go to Auto Backup to set it up.

This doesn't upload to your Drive account though, right? It uploads to G+. I use a app called CloudVault explicitly for the purpose of auto-uploading photos to a folder in my Drive account.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

big mean giraffe posted:

The neoprene sleeve my nexus one came with not only wore the paint off the sides, but did nothing to protect it when it was in my hands if I dropped it.

Ah yes, the one time I dropped my Nexus One was a day or so before the case arrived, and it was in the neoprene sleeve. Stupid open end.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Require More Fire posted:

This doesn't upload to your Drive account though, right? It uploads to G+. I use a app called CloudVault explicitly for the purpose of auto-uploading photos to a folder in my Drive account.
They count towards your Drive storage, it's just G+ has the interface to view the pictures. There's not a way to view them directly in Drive, though.
https://support.google.com/plus/answer/156348?hl=en

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Nostalgia phone chat

My Nexus One finally died from god knows what last week. What a great phone that was.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I like the new wallpaper handling in 4.4, it allows you to use regular screen sized vertical wallpapers now. No more fudging around in Photoshop filling out the empty areas with matching colors, or installing custom launchers that don't scroll the wallpaper.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TheBuilder posted:

Nostalgia phone chat

My Nexus One finally died from god knows what last week. What a great phone that was.

I still regret selling mine. Loved that thing.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

They count towards your Drive storage, it's just G+ has the interface to view the pictures. There's not a way to view them directly in Drive, though.
https://support.google.com/plus/answer/156348?hl=en

They count against your Drive storage ONLY if you choose to upload photos at their full resolution. If you let G+ limit the file size (I forget what it is off the top of my head but its something plenty large enough for things taken on a camera phone) you can store an unlimited amount.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

There's not a way to view them directly in Drive, though.

I'm pretty sure there is now. When I had auto backup turned on I kept getting spammed with prompts to enable that feature (to view the photos from drive). I've got it turned off now though because I hate auto backup. Why does it upload every picture even if I delete it 2 seconds after taking it? Super loving annoying.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

the nicker posted:

I'm pretty sure there is now. When I had auto backup turned on I kept getting spammed with prompts to enable that feature (to view the photos from drive). I've got it turned off now though because I hate auto backup. Why does it upload every picture even if I delete it 2 seconds after taking it? Super loving annoying.
It's the other way round, you can view photos stored on G Drive in G+

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the nicker posted:

Are you talking about the notification that wants you to share them on G+? I get that, but I've never gotten anything to view them in Drive.

Auto backup is annoyingly fast. I end up waiting until everything's up and delete them from Photos which seems to remove it from both the device and Drive.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

b0nes posted:

I got a Spigen case off Amazon, it is a little bulky and is super sensitive on the side buttons but I like it.
I got a Spigen case too, but mine has cutouts for the buttons.

I like it overall, but it feels like the sides don't quite come over the front of the phone enough (it's really easy to pop a corner of the phone out). The thing I'm mainly worried about is dropping the phone face down, and I'm not sure how much screen protection I'll actually get from this thing.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

WhiteHowler posted:

I got a Spigen case too, but mine has cutouts for the buttons.

I like it overall, but it feels like the sides don't quite come over the front of the phone enough (it's really easy to pop a corner of the phone out). The thing I'm mainly worried about is dropping the phone face down, and I'm not sure how much screen protection I'll actually get from this thing.

Xtremeguard screen protectors are on sale, or were yesterday. Got 2 full body kits for nexus 5 for 1.65 with coupon 85off2.

Not sure if the coupon was only some Veterans day thing though.

I'll have every accessory for my nexus 5 here before it arrives :saddowns:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
n5 case chat: I got this one and I like it a lot. The texture is very close to what the back of the phone feels like, it feels really nice in my hand and doesn't add any bulk. It's a hard case though, and will still slide around on smooth surfaces.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

TheBuilder posted:

Nostalgia phone chat

I pulled out my HTC Wizard last week, unfortunately it still works, What a piece of poo poo phone that was.

(For those that don't know it was a winmo pro slider that when using the physical keyboard you had to constantly take one hand away to use the stylus/screen for plenty of things.)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tedronai66 posted:

Xtremeguard screen protectors are on sale, or were yesterday. Got 2 full body kits for nexus 5 for 1.65 with coupon 85off2.

Not sure if the coupon was only some Veterans day thing though.

I'll have every accessory for my nexus 5 here before it arrives :saddowns:
I thought about it, but I really can't stand screen protectors. I'd rather have a soft case that has a decent rise over the front of the phone. I know it won't protect from scratches, but I just want something that will help prevent cracks/shattering on a drop.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I just threw mine in a good old S Line TPU case (with freebie dry apply screen protector). No complaints, as per usual... I like them as they cost gently caress all, protect the phone and have handy grippy sides.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Auto backup is annoyingly fast. I end up waiting until everything's up and delete them from Photos which seems to remove it from both the device and Drive.

Why not just auto-upload only on wifi and while charging?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sobriquet posted:

Why not just auto-upload only on wifi and while charging?
I only charge my phone at night and I'd rather have them available sooner than that. Photos gives an indication if the pictures have been uploaded so it's not as big of a deal as I made it sound.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I pulled out my HTC Wizard last week, unfortunately it still works, What a piece of poo poo phone that was.

(For those that don't know it was a winmo pro slider that when using the physical keyboard you had to constantly take one hand away to use the stylus/screen for plenty of things.)

Sup WinMo slider buddy

Had an HTC Herald for awhile. Out of the box you had to kill processes to free up enough RAM to launch the camera. Thankfully it died a horrible death. Closed a car hood on it by accident.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

echo465 posted:

and legacy SERO accounts.
Wooooooo, legacy SERO accounts!

So, anyway, I've currently got a SERO account on Sprint and a Galaxy S2. I'm strongly considering switching to a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile (I'm in the Seattle area). I've got about six months left on my Sprint contract, so I'd have to shell out $100 to break my contract, however I'd save about $20/month on T-Mobile's $30/month prepaid plan, so that's essentially a wash.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing as far as positives and negatives of the switch go.

Sprint SERO:

$68/month
Unlimited data (of which I typically use around 1GB)
Unlimited texting
500 minutes (of which I typically use around 60-80)
Insurance/service plan

T-Mobile Prepaid:

$45/month (assuming taxes/fees are similar)
2.5GB of data
Unlimited texting
100 minutes (might be an occasional overage, but meh)
Handset Premium Protection (not a service plan)

Honestly, the biggest downside of the T-Mobile prepaid plan is probably losing the Sprint insurance/service plan. I know people poo poo on Sprint, but being able to schedule an appointment to take your phone into a store to have it repaired for free same-day is pretty loving great. I am also pretty hard on phones, so it's really nice to have it there to take advantage of. And there's something to be said for unlimited data and enough minutes that I'm never, ever going to run through them. Also, once I give up my SERO plan, there's no going back; it's gone forever. The additional monthly fee is somewhat mitigated by subsidizing my phone, as well.

On the flip side, Sprint's network isn't the greatest. I'm a big fan of T-Mobile's contract-free business model (it's something I'd like to support), and the long-term monetary savings would be significant. Further, T-Mobile is a local company (headquartered right across the lake). Higher data and minute limits don't really help me if I'm not using them.

So, what am I missing? Is there some angle I'm not seeing that should push me one direction or the other?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

b0nes posted:

I got a Spigen case off Amazon, it is a little bulky and is super sensitive on the side buttons but I like it.

I got one too, and while I agree that it is bulky, it still feels smaller than my N1 that I replaced with the N5. Definite bonus points in that it will charge even with the metal cover, and doesn't get very warm.

TheBuilder posted:

Nostalgia phone chat

Mine is still working just fine, but I was sad that I left the sleeve in a random bar in Southampton a few years back. It was definitely time to upgrade, I had been running an Evervolv 4.1 rom, and my poor N1 was pretty sluggish. At least there was a really small learning curve between 4.1 and 4.4.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Thanatosian posted:

Wooooooo, legacy SERO accounts!

So, anyway, I've currently got a SERO account on Sprint and a Galaxy S2. I'm strongly considering switching to a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile (I'm in the Seattle area). I've got about six months left on my Sprint contract, so I'd have to shell out $100 to break my contract, however I'd save about $20/month on T-Mobile's $30/month prepaid plan, so that's essentially a wash.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing as far as positives and negatives of the switch go.

Sprint SERO:

$68/month
Unlimited data (of which I typically use around 1GB)
Unlimited texting
500 minutes (of which I typically use around 60-80)
Insurance/service plan

T-Mobile Prepaid:

2.5GB of data
Unlimited texting

Honestly, the biggest downside of the T-Mobile prepaid plan is probably losing the Sprint insurance/service plan. I know people poo poo on Sprint, but being able to schedule an appointment to take your phone into a store to have it repaired for free same-day is pretty loving great. I am also pretty hard on phones, so it's really nice to have it there to take advantage of. And there's something to be said for unlimited data and enough minutes that I'm never, ever going to run through them. Also, once I give up my SERO plan, there's no going back; it's gone forever. The additional monthly fee is somewhat mitigated by subsidizing my phone, as well.

On the flip side, Sprint's network isn't the greatest. I'm a big fan of T-Mobile's contract-free business model (it's something I'd like to support), and the long-term monetary savings would be significant. Further, T-Mobile is a local company (headquartered right across the lake). Higher data and minute limits don't really help me if I'm not using them.

So, what am I missing? Is there some angle I'm not seeing that should push me one direction or the other?

You should be able to do Tmo for less than $45/month. Even if you're going over on minutes they're only $0.10/min. Also, consider your coverage area, depending where you are it may be better. Also, Tmo gives you 5GB not just 2.5GB and UT's probably quite a bit faster than Sprint.

Get thee to the prepaid thread!

SB35 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 12, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

henpod posted:

Just updated my HTC One, and now I can't choose the lockscreen? The option has disappeared from the 'personalise' section of the options :(

It's there on mine (on 4.3):

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sup WinMo slider buddy

Had an HTC Herald for awhile. Out of the box you had to kill processes to free up enough RAM to launch the camera. Thankfully it died a horrible death. Closed a car hood on it by accident.

My HTC Tilt/Tytn II still works great....well as great as a WinMo phone could ever work.

I haven't yet come across another phone as solidly built as that thing.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Require More Fire posted:

Thanks so much this is exactly the functionality I was looking for. I will use the phone at work to take ~CLASSIFIED~ pictures and will never want them on google+ so why bother sending them there in the intermediary!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You sound like the kind of person that disables the shutter sound.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

RZA Encryption posted:

You sound like the kind of person that disables the shutter sound.

Don't forget the flash.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

SmokeyXIII posted:

Thanks so much this is exactly the functionality I was looking for. I will use the phone at work to take ~CLASSIFIED~ pictures and will never want them on google+ so why bother sending them there in the intermediary!

Are you a TSA air marshal?

http://rt.com/usa/air-marshal-photos-skirts-389/

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So no one else's Nexus 5 is reporting 100% awake? I posted a screenshot earlier. It either says Exchange Services or Mediaserver is keeping the phone awake all of the time. But the battery drain I'm seeing doesn't seem as bad as you would expect 100% awake to be, in fact it's quite good more often than not.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Civil posted:

Are you a TSA air marshal?

http://rt.com/usa/air-marshal-photos-skirts-389/

I WISH!

I do inspections on industrial pressure equipment and the owners of the equipment sometimes get super serious about their super secret designs. Generally there is no cameras allowed on site, or skirts.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So no one else's Nexus 5 is reporting 100% awake? I posted a screenshot earlier. It either says Exchange Services or Mediaserver is keeping the phone awake all of the time. But the battery drain I'm seeing doesn't seem as bad as you would expect 100% awake to be, in fact it's quite good more often than not.

Not really, no. Awake time matches up for me. I don't have Exchange on my phone though.

*excuse the terrible battery life. I get 1-2 bars of service at work with no WiFi. Everything I bring here dies in 8-10 hours.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 12, 2013

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks

CloFan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 12, 2013

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

SB35 posted:

You should be able to do Tmo for less than $45/month. Even if you're going over on minutes they're only $0.10/min. Also, consider your coverage area, depending where you are it may be better. Also, Tmo gives you 5GB not just 2.5GB and UT's probably quite a bit faster than Sprint.

This. You can drop that to 30bux easily with that minute usage.

WhiteHowler posted:

I thought about it, but I really can't stand screen protectors. I'd rather have a soft case that has a decent rise over the front of the phone. I know it won't protect from scratches, but I just want something that will help prevent cracks/shattering on a drop.

I'll try it out, mainly because I've grown tired of bulky rear end cases. I've spent far more on a crappy case, so a couple bux won't really bum me out if I end up hating it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

I'm assuming taxes and fees (which are apparently expensive in Washington) would be similar, and also figuring in the $8 a month for their handset coverage (I've had to use it enough times on Sprint that I'm fairly confident it's a good investment; it's certainly paid for itself a couple times over for me so far).

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Thanatosian posted:

I'm assuming taxes and fees (which are apparently expensive in Washington) would be similar, and also figuring in the $8 a month for their handset coverage (I've had to use it enough times on Sprint that I'm fairly confident it's a good investment; it's certainly paid for itself a couple times over for me so far).

The $30/month includes taxes and fees. I think T-Mobile might charge a tax if you refill through them, but I buy my refill cards online. Washington might also charge you sales tax if you buy refill cards in the store but I've never tried. So it costs me $30/month here in the great state of Washington.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CloFan posted:

Nice huge battery image! Link that poo poo or resize

Sorry, I had it in 'timg' tags instead of using l.jpg. Fixed.

Old habits die hard.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I use exchange and don't have any wakelock issues.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

T-Mobile Prepaid:

2.5GB of data
Unlimited texting

Prepaid has no taxes/fees except sales tax. If you buy from a third party you can skip sales tax and even get a slight discount. So you can get the $30 dork plan for like $27/mo or if you get prepaid cards from out of state vendors or like $33 if you buy directly (and pay sales tax).

Also I'm not sure what plan you're talking about but the general dork plan people like is unlimited data (5gb fastm rest slow) unlimited texting, 100 minutes (can use VOIP, I suggest getting a OBi for home) and there is no handset protection.

Also you can tether for free, but after using a couple mb of browing from a laptop you will hit a paywall unless you switch your user agent to iPad/Android.

I loved the service and HSPA (I didn't have a + device) was crazy fast and massively better than Sprint even with LTE. If you want to check it out in your areas, grab a unlocked phone get a Sim and sign up for the unlimited $3 per day plan and play all day. After that you'll have to trash the account/Sim so order 2 sims if you plan to do this. Sometimes the sims are free. Also you can buy a N5 from the google play store and use it on either Sprint or TMo. However the N5 has a big issue with Sprint that you may not get LTE if you do not live in a LTE tri-band region.

http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0045RMEPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Trip report to Sprint store to check out a N5:

Speed test showed downloads of .35mbs. On the other side of the store a Moto X showed download speeds of 4mbs. Both showed LTE. I do not live in a Triband area but I'm not in the Samsung tower area so I thought I should get LTE, but it looks like the Triband phones are kind of screwed if you're not in a Triband area.

TLDR: Don't get a N5, LG G2, Galaxy S4 Mini, or Galaxy Mega on Sprint unless you spend the vast majority of your time in Sprint Triband areas.

One of the references:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...ack-technology/

The Sprint Galaxy Nexus from 2 years ago most likely has much faster network connectivity than the N5.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 12, 2013

• Locked thread