Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If you're anything like me, you fondly remember one of Grey Hunter's best LPs, the great War in the East. It was a horribly complex grognard turn-based strategy game, telling the story of Operation Barbarossa, the Nazi German attack on the USSR. In that game, GH guided the Axis armies to complete victory, going as far east as Baku and seizing Moscow in late March 1943.

Would you like to see if you can beat that time? Then this might be the LP for you. Were you sorry for the Russians as they forgot to evacuate their industry and only felt vindicated by the time uPen's Soviet WitE LP rolled around? Then feel free to look into this one as well!

No Retreat! The Russian Front is a 2011 board game by Carl Paradis, published by GMT Games. It allows two players to fairly easily recreate history of the Great Patriotic War, or to change it if their luck and skills permit. It has a lot of the strategic and tactical depth of many bigger wargames on the subject, but nowhere near their overwhelming complexity or detail. Where most theatre-level games can take a day or more to complete and cover several tables with boards and even hundreds of unit counters, No Retreat! boasts that it can take around 4-5 hours and has a grand total of about 60 unit counters (excluding variant units).

It is a really great card-driven wargame and I'd love to play it with you all - and to that end I want to borrow another cue from Grey Hunter and his Goons Take Command LPs. Namely, everyone can sign up and take up some responsibilities in the army of either side with one goon being the supreme commander and appointing other volunteers to command Army or Front Groups. Hopefully it will be fun for everyone involved and will lead to much hilarity as commanders bicker between themselves or misunderstand the superiors' orders. I will also keep a running tally of points I will arbitrarily award to commanders who perform in line of duty (both in-game and in-thread) so that you have some more incentive to compete.

Of course, if we fill in all the spaces with actual command responsibilities, you will still be able to sign up to "command" single Armies/Fronts. In that case, you don't get to make any actual decisions, but you can take part in strategic debates in the doc of your side, gather points in our little scoreboard, and roleplay the commander of your unit. You will also be put on the fast track to actual command, if you will so desire - and I will do my best to keep the rotation in the chain of command fairly rapid.

Axis troops preparing to attack the flanks of the Kursk salient

Basic game concepts
The rules are, even if simple in comparison to the game's big brothers, quite extensive, but basic ideas are fairly simple. This post will lay them out before proceeding to more specific rules. Any mechanics that are not in play yet will be revealed when they become relevant and are considered spoilers until that point, so please don't talk about them in-thread without spoiler tags. Same for everything that happens on the Turn Track.

At the start of your side's turn, you will draw a bunch of cards. These will be posted in a Google Drive document that will be private to you and your brothers-in-arms so that you can talk about the cards without the other side bothering you (I would still prefer that card-unrelated planning be done in the thread). Cards are the main driving factor in this game, allowing you to use powerful events, to replace and improve your units, and set up dastardly traps on your enemies. They are explained in more detail in the example of play post, linked at the end of this write-up.

Below are the unit types you will encounter at the beginning of the game.

The grey counters are German units, the brown ones are Soviets. The blue counters represent Axis Allies. German units have two "steps" - that is, when they take a hit, they flip from their dark, full-strength side (as seen in case of 2nd Panzer and 4th Army) to their light, reduced-strength side (3rd Panzer). When they take a hit at their reduced-strength side, they are removed from the board to be reconstituted later. Soviet units are one-step: when hit, they are removed from the board to be rebuilt later. Most Axis Allies (with the exception of Finns) are also one-step, but when destroyed, they go to the turn track to arrive as reinforcements later.

The icons in the middle of the counter indicate the unit type. 2nd and 3rd Panzer are both Armoured units, they get a combat bonus against other types of units in open terrain, but move more slowly through difficult terrain. The 4th Army, West Front and the 2nd Rumanian are all Infantry units, they have no special traits. The Central Front is a Mechanized Infantry unit, which is immune to the bonus Armoured units get. The Leningrad unit is regional infantry - functionally identical to regular Infantry. Finally, the Finnish unit is a Fortress - these units are immobile and cannot voluntarily attack, but are very resilient on defence.

Most units have two numbers on their counters. The one on the left is Combat Strength, which is used to determine possible battle outcomes. The one on the right is their Movement Allowance, which is how far they can move. The Finns only have Combat Strength, because they cannot move, but it is in white to show that they cannot voluntarily attack, and in parentheses to show that they do not exert a Zone of Control (ZOC).

Each unit with its strength not in parentheses has a ZOC. It means that all the hexes around it are somehow controlled by it or its subunits. If your unit enters an Enemy Zone of Control (EZOC), it has to end movement immediately. It can also allow you to cut off enemy Supply Paths.

The Axis forces smash through Soviet positions at the outset of Case Blue

Supply is another key concept. This is very important, so I will lay it out here already. Near the beginning of your turn, you check all units on the map for supply. To be in supply, a unit must be within 4 hexes away from an overland supply source (that is, at most 3 hexes between the unit and the supply source). A supply source is either a map edge in your side's colour (that is, the western map edge for the Axis and the eastern and south-eastern map edge for the Soviets) or a supplied City. A supplied City is one that can trace a line of any length going from it towards a friendly map edge. However, it has to be a line going only westward for the Germans or only eastward for the Soviets, like so:

However, there are also Alternate Supply Sources. The first one is an adjacent friendly unit that can trace an overland supply path. The second is from sea - if your unit stands on the coast, it will be supplied, with some restrictions: the Baltic helps both sides, but the Soviets only as long as they control Leningrad and have it in supply, the Black Sea helps both sides, the Caspian only helps Soviets and the Sea of Azov helps no-one. Finally, the Finns are always in supply in Finland.

Here's an example of supply at work:

The German 16th Army is just at the edge of the supply range from Riga (yellow arrow) - note that Lake Peipus counts as a hexside that is impassable and blocks ZOC, but - like all lakes - lets supplies through with no problem. The 18th Army gets their supplies from the 16th army (pale yellow arrow), so they are in supply as well. Note that neither the West Front nor the Northwest Front do not block the flow of supply in spite of their ZOCs - that is because friendly units present cancel out EZOCs for the given hex the purposes of supply. The 4th Panzer, however, is out of supply (and there is a marker for it next to it, normally it would have been on the unit): it cannot trace back to the 18th Army (black arrow), as it is itself supplied from an Alternate (and not Overland) supply source. On the Soviet side, the Northwest Front grabs supply from the map edge. The City of Leningrad is also supplied - it has a supply path going across Lake Ladoga (like the Germans have with Peipus, but Ladoga is considered simply a very big non-hexagonal hex), through the NW Front positions and on to the map edge.

Unsupplied units are removed at the end of turn if they can't get back in supply. They also suffer a whole slew of penalties, outlined in the Example of Play post.

Germans preparing to strike during Barbarossa

After checking supply you place units you get from the Turn Track and recreate units you have lost, paying for it in cards. Then you move your units around up to the limit of their movement allowance. Different types of terrain have a different cost to traverse, which you can see in the Charts & Map section of this post.

Next, you designate targets you wish to attack and the opponent may discard cards to make you attack where they want to. Combats are resolved by tallying the strength of fighting units, seeing how they fare against one another and rolling a die to see the outcome. More on that in Charts and Example of Play.

At the end of turn you check unsupplied units to see if they're back in supply range. If not, they surrender.

How to win
To win, Axis forces need to control (and trace supply to) at least three of the five Axis Objective hexes: Leningrad, Moscow, Sevastopol, Stalingrad and Caucasus Oil Fields. Controlling Moscow and the Oil Fields also makes the Soviets lose card draws, which is always nice.

The Soviets need to control (and trace supply to) three out of four Soviet Objective hexes: Konigsberg, Berlin, Vienna and Prague. They can make the Germans lose card draws by controlling the Ploesti Oil Fields, but those are not an Objective Hex for them.

At the start of the game only Axis gather VPs, though this will change at one point, unlocking further ways to win for the Soviets - we'll talk about them later. Bottom line is: Axis want as many VPs as possible as quickly as possible to make it harder for the Reds to win.

This is the Victory Point Track. As you can see, it has a bunch of "skull" squares in it. Those are Sudden Death thresholds. In a normal game, if a given side has that many victory points at the beginning of the indicated turn (e.g. 20 German VPs on turn 3), they win. This is in place to make the players act with the same kind of insane resilience their historical counterparts exhibited, rather than abandon the front lines early to preserve strength. In this game, however, we want to avoid the game ending too early, so we're going to play with a variant rule. It's called "No Surrender". If the side with the ability to score VPs hits the Sudden Death threshold on time, the other side loses card draws - and cards are quite critical to this game. If the threshold is exceeded, the opponent has to lose even more draws!

You get VPs by capturing cities and oil fields hexes, forcing enemy units to surrender and through some events. Objective hexes count just like regular ones, there are no double points for holding one or anything of the sort.

:siren:Example of Play post is here!:siren:

Charts and Map

The Map

Current situation (Start of Turn 9)

Terrain Effects Chart

Axis Combat Results Table

Soviet Combat Results Table

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
OK, how do I sign up for this?Right now it's on a first come - first served basis. Just say what posting you want and you get it, unless someone already has. You also have to email me at tevery.best.sa [at] gmail.com, so that I can add you to the Google doc for your side.

The postings list is currently as follows:

:godwinning:Axis:godwinning:
- Chief of the OKH
- General Tekopo
- Commander of Army Group North Centre Forward Entrenched Mongoose North -
Generalmajor sniper4652 - currently in command of nothing
- Commander of Army Group Centre Tiger's Heart Centre
- Generalmajor Davin Valkri - currently in command of 1st Panzer, 3rd Panzer, 4th Army, 9th Army
- Commander of Army Group South Centre Rear Arbitrary Sharks - Generalmajor Omobono - currently in command of 1st Panzer, 2nd Panzer, 2nd Army, 3rd Rumanian, 6th Army, 11th Army and 17th Army

Fluff commanders:
- Commander of 6th Army - Oberst HerpicleOmnicron5

:ussr: Soviets :ussr:
- Chief of the STAVKA
- General-leytenant The Sandman
- Commander of the Leningrad Sector - General-Mayor Spokydonut
- Commander of the Moscow Sector - General-Mayor cokerpilot - decorated with The Caucasus Front Badge
- Commander of the Stalino Sector - General-Mayor Fangz
- Commander of Crimean Sector - General-Mayor C..

Fluff commanders:

- Commander of 5th Guards Tank Army - General-Mayor Hipster Rooster
- Commander of 1st Byelorussian Front - Polkovnik Gradenko_2000
- Commander of 3rd Byelorussian Front - Polkovnik AceRimmer
- Commander of 4th Tank Army - Polkovnik MonotoneMorgan

You can also sign up for any Army/Front on any side. In that case, you do not actually get any command responsibilities, but you get access to the doc and are mentioned in the updates as the commander of that unit! Also, if an opening appears, you will be the first in line to take it, if you'll want to.

Reserve
- General-Mayor V. Ilyich L.
- Generalmajor Logicone
- Generalmajor GenericRX

Losses
- General-mayor Lord Windy, executed for high treason

List of updates
Turn 1 - Axis Movement Phase, Axis Combat Phase, Axis Combat Phase resolution, Soviet Org Phase, Soviet Movement Phase, Soviet Combat Phase
Turn 2 - Axis Org Phase, Axis Movement Phase, Axis Combat Phase, Soviet Org Phase, Soviet Movement Phase
Turn 3 - Axis Combat Phase, Soviet Org Phase, Soviet Movement Phase, Soviet Combat Phase
Turn 4 - Axis Movement Phase, Axis Combat Phase, Soviet Org Phase, Soviet Movement Phase, Soviet Combat Phase
1941 Summary Post
Turn 5 - Axis Org Phase, Axis Movement Phase, Axis Combat Phase, Axis Detraining Phase, Soviet Org Phase, Soviet Movement Phase, Soviet Combat Phase
Turn 6 - Axis Org Phase, Axis Movement Phase, Axis Combat Phase, Soviet Card Phase, Soviet Org Phase, Soviet Movement Phase
Turn 7 - Axis Org Phase, Axis Movement Phase, Axis Combat Phase, Soviet Card Phase, Soviet Org Phase, Soviet Movement Phase, Soviet Combat Phase
Turn 8 (with Lost Victories) - Axis Org Phase, Axis Movement Phase, Axis Combat Phase, Soviet Card Phase, Soviet Org Phase, Soviet Movement Phase, Soviet Combat Phase

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 5, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This sounds fun, so I guess a great big bumbling idiot like me would fit best as the Chief of the OKH! Oh god we are all gonna die.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
This looks fun... Not sure if I want to join or not though.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

cokerpilot posted:

This looks fun... Not sure if I want to join or not though.

If you're worried about the rules complexity, don't be. I'll be making sure everything is clear for everyone at all times and I will also break the more important and complex phases into smaller, easy-to-process chunks if necessary.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
More wargames, hooray! And why not, sign me up for Army Group North

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'll take commander of the southern section!

The Germans won't even get close to Stalingrad :cool:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I and my staff will prove you to be rather mistaken, Herr Windy. Mostly my staff.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Aaah gently caress it, I'll be Chief of the Northern Section. Urrah! Leningrad!

...we're all hosed, you realise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Za Rodinu! More grognard games for the LP forum! Only going to observe from the peanut gallery, but I like this already. I've had the VASSAL module and the printed out rulebook sitting in my desk forever, so I'm looking forward to following along and learning how to play as well.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 10, 2013

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

V. Illych L. posted:

Aaah gently caress it, I'll be Chief of the Northern Section. Urrah! Leningrad!

...we're all hosed, you realise.

"Have confidence in Party's forward-looking decisions."

It is now June 21st, 1941. The German Army is preparing to strike against their most crucial ideological enemies - the bolsheviks of the Soviet Union. In this, they shall both destroy the ideas they find so aberrant and liberate the lands that the greater German people can inhabit, free from their ancestral foes and with all their vital needs satisfied. The strike will come soon, now is the time for the final preparations.

Or making up the plan at the last minute, actually. General HerpicleOmnicron V has only now realised how much he has to prepare on a very short notice. His memory instantly returns to his college days and the eternally "broken" printer.

Turn 1 begins with its Housekeeping phase. The Germans receive three Blitz! markers, which are now at the disposal of General HerpicleOmnicron V. The weather is clear and not variable. The turn events are as follows:
- Limited Rail Moves. On each side, only one unit can move into the Rail Movement Box. This is because of the Soviet logistic SNAFU amid the total surprise of the early war and the German problems with adapting the Soviet railways to their needs.
- No Axis Replacements. The Axis cannot replace or improve their units until the end of 1941. They are not prepared for a long war - they expected a rapid blitzkrieg that would bring the entire Soviet Union down in mere weeks!

Sorry for not zooming in, I will make sure that the cards are properly magnified from this point on.
The Germans draw 6 cards. They immediately play Unseasonal Weather, but neither this nor the next turn have Variable Weather, so it has no effect. They draw a replacement and now have to discard 2 cards. They have no set time limit, but I will enforce one once the OKH is fully staffed.

The Weather Bureau reported some mysterious cloud formations and reports from the U-bootwaffe mentioned something weird happening in the depths in the South Pacific, but nothing of immediate importance to the campaign. Relieved, General HerpicleOmnicron resumed his planning. Or, to put it more precisely, he hoped his staff did.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 10, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Very well. I have given my orders some thought. Follow everything in the example of play post! Huh? If it aint broke dont fix it, we're short on staff drat it. Cards will be decided upon when the full current staff make their opinions known.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Movement Phase is not here yet, hold your horses. Right now I've only posted to let people know Axis cards have been dealt.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I like this game a lot, but I'm curious as to how you will make it work in a forum format since there are so many ways to interact with the opponent during his turn.

Are you using the latest living rules?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
My stance is that wherever possible I will flesh everything out in the docs, when impossible I'll just declare that something works retroactively and will roll stuff back appropriately.

And yes, I am using the latest rules.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I and my staff will prove you to be rather mistaken, Herr Windy. Mostly my staff.

I'll be in Bucharest before the snow falls. Just you watch.

I hope that means I won't be imprisoned there

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Can I invade Finland? I want to invade Finland. I think.

Or I'll waste army after army attacking the Germans. Aaah, choices!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
We'll go after the Japanese instead. Clearly the real threat in all of this.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

V. Illych L. posted:

Can I invade Finland? I want to invade Finland. I think.
It is, in fact, possible to invade Finland in this game and it nets the Soviets 1 VP. There aren't really any special rules about it, you just walk in and whack'em. Except that they're a Fort, so it's a huge pain in the neck that doesn't really become a reasonable solution to anything until something like late 1943.

Still waiting for two more people for the Axis before we can begin in earnest, if we don't find them by Wednesday I'll ad-hoc some temporary solution.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tevery Best posted:

It is, in fact, possible to invade Finland in this game and it nets the Soviets 1 VP. There aren't really any special rules about it, you just walk in and whack'em. Except that they're a Fort, so it's a huge pain in the neck that doesn't really become a reasonable solution to anything until something like late 1943.

Still waiting for two more people for the Axis before we can begin in earnest, if we don't find them by Wednesday I'll ad-hoc some temporary solution.

Yeah, invading Finland without the (Game mechanic spoilers) upgraded Soviet units is almost impossible and usually you can't spare them until you get to the two-step phase.

Anyway, good luck, guys.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You want to invade Finland? Please do so. Lets us take you both at the same time. :getin:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Yes, please! It'll make my job soooo much easier! :cheeky:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I have made arrangements with the Axis commanders and until we get more signups Herpicle will be also commanding AGS, while Davin Valkri will push around AGC. Luckily, the first turn is fairly limited in options, so hopefully we'll resolve this crisis successfully soon.

The Axis discard Soviet Logistic Problems and Fedor von Bock.
Both are unplayable now - the Axis cannot receive replacements until 1942 and SLP has a star icon on it. It's horribly painful to get von Bock in your opening hand because it's a very good card that just happens to be a dead draw at this point. Later on you're usually sadly searching for it to no avail.

Since the first Axis turn does not have a Card, Supply or Organization Phase, let's jump straight to the...

(click for the official theme of Barbarossa)

Late in the night, the Axis troops board their transports and set out towards Soviet border checkpoints. Their arrival is going to spell a rude awakening for over two million Red Army troops that find themselves completely unprepared to repel them. At 0030 hours, an order is being rapidly passed down the line to prepare for imminent war, but most Soviet troops never receive it. Less than two hours later first bombs fall on the territory of the USSR. The war has finally come to the Soviet Union.

And it's not looking pretty.

The OKH begins frantically planning the advance paths of their armies. However, down south the Army Group Romania is still unprepared for a major offensive and can only assist with limited hostilities towards the Soviet border troops between them and Odessa. It appears that the rest of the Wehrmacht will have to do without them for now - but really, they just need to kick in the door and the rotten house will collapse entirely, right?

Remember that:
  • Units marked N are the Army Group North. They can only attack the Soviet Northwest Front.
  • Units marked C are the Army Group Centre. They can only attack the Soviet West Front.
  • Units marked S are the Army Group South. They can only attack the Soviet Southwest Front.
  • Units marked R are the Army Group Romania. They cannot move or Advance After Combat this turn. They can still attack the South Front, though.

I need movement orders for Axis troops from Army Group commanders. The deadline for them is Wednesday, 7:30 PM GMT.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 3, 2013

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yo Kraut motherfuckers, y'all going to break on the Western/Northwestern military districts. Just saying.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

We'll see about THAT, won't we?! :black101:

Any particular system you want for moves submissions, Tevery Best? Saying "3rd army move one hex east, one hex southeast, 4th army moves two hexes northeast" ad nauseum might get confusing after a while.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If possible, I would like to take chief of Stavka. I shall model early Soviet incompetence perfectly.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Our hero!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
STAVKA DIRECTIVE 1

Now, guys, I have heard some rumours going around the Germans are going to attack us. Such rumours are obviously false. Please forward such rumours to your local NKVD representative. The Germans have been and always will be our friends. We will not let the capitalists trick Mother Russia into one of their wars!

High level command are urged to desist from incendiary language. Perhaps some floral bouquets can be sent over to assuage any offence caused by careless remarks?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 11, 2013

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Davin Valkri posted:

Any particular system you want for moves submissions, Tevery Best? Saying "3rd army move one hex east, one hex southeast, 4th army moves two hexes northeast" ad nauseum might get confusing after a while.

I myself prefer MSPainted arrows, but if you're only planning to move one or three units a single hex or two, it's fine to put it in words. If you completely cannot use a graphic editor and have a bit more movement to plan out, I'd recommend something like this:

Xth Army: SE SE E E NE NE
Nth Army: NW SW W SW NW W

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fangz posted:

STAVKA DIRECTIVE 1

Now, guys, I have heard some rumours going around the Germans are going to attack us. Such rumours are obviously false. Please forward such rumours to your local NKVD representative. The Germans have been and always will be our friends. We will not let the capitalists trick Mother Russia into one of their wars!

High level command are urged to desist from incendiary language. Perhaps some floral bouquets can be sent over to assuage any offence caused by careless remarks?

OKH DIRECTIVE 1

Men, stand in a line alongside the border and point your guns at the Russians. Say you are re-enacting a scene from your favourite movie, and that they should not worry. Attempt to persuade them to come to our side with movies. The local theatre will then be very happy with an increase in revenue.
Oh. And the theatre will be re-purposed into a POW camp.

Command are encouraged to poop in the other side's latrines and not flush.

E: STAVKA DIRECTIVE just looks better than OKH. OKH doesnt look like an interesting acronym, but STAVKA can actually be spoken by non-Scottish people.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 11, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oh please, AGN isn't much better. Also that plan is silly--I'd rather fly to Moscow on a civilian flight and--well!

At this rate I'm thinking move AGN and AGC as in the Example of Play. Thoughts, Herpicle?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah. Makes sense considering AGS is moving just like the example of play too. The damnable printer aint working, so lets just use the old handouts.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

If possible, I would like to take chief of Stavka. I shall model early Soviet incompetence perfectly.

I for one expect nothing but adequate leadership for you good sir!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Army Group North has officially crossed the border, spearheaded by the 4th Panzer. The 16th and 18th Armies (both with 3-4 stats) are ordered to secure crossings on the Neman for the tanks before moving in to assist in their assault.

Meanwhile the 3rd Panzer has, thanks to aerial recon, identified a large gap in the Soviet line. They promptly use it to move in and surround the main body of the West Front while scattering several smaller Soviet forces in their wake. Along with them goes the 9th Army (4-4), while from the south-west advance the 2nd Panzer Group (7-6) and the 4th Army.

One of the most important German aircraft was the Fieseler Fi 156 "Storch" (Stork), pictured above. It was an incredibly successful design, very light, agile and fast, but unarmed and without armour. That is because it was not a combat plane, but rather a true workhorse, serving as a liaison aircraft, a great reconnaissance machine, VIP transport and a plethora of other support roles. Its main draw was how little ground it needed for take-off: thanks to this feature it could be used during Operation Eiche, the German plan to free Mussolini after he was arrested and imprisoned in hotel Campo Imperatore in the Gran Sasso mountains. The evacuation after the mission called for take-off from a really tiny strip of land. Only the Storch could handle such a task and it did not disappoint Otto Skorzeny, the man in charge of the operation. However, the Fi 156 also had a serious drawback - it was too small to carry much. During the Gran Sasso raid, Skorzeny insisted he fly with Mussolini and this unexpected extra weight (Skorzeny was a huge and swole fucker over two meters tall) nearly caused the tiny plane to crash. The Storch was also one of the last aircraft that entered the besieged Berlin in April 1945, landing on the tiny improvised airstrip in the Berlin Tiergarten.

The AGS moves between the Carpathian Mountains and the Pripyat marshes. They don't really have that much space to manoeuvre on the strategic level and the Soviets here have largely heard the alarm call and consolidated. Still, their efforts are probably too little, too late to halt the German war machine.

The situation before the Combat Phase:

I need the OKH Chief to place up to 5 Target Markers on hexes the Axis will voluntarily attack this Combat Phase as well as commit up to 1 Blitz! token (giving an extra shift while attacking) and one card (and any number of cards that modify the effects of the battle) per Target hex. Meanwhile, the Army Group commanders are to post which units take part in which battle (in this case its fairly obvious, but will become less so later on) and how they will advance after combat (feel free to use conditional clauses based on where the Soviets will retreat to, if you expect them to be capable of it). The Soviet sector commanders should post their preferred retreat destinations (I will determine specific paths myself). Since there are no cards in the Soviet hand, there can be no Counterblows or cards played by the Soviets in battles, so the STAVKA Chief has nothing to do.

The deadline is until 8:30 PM GMT on Thursday. Feel free to ask any questions you have either here or in the docs.

Also a reminder to anyone reading along that we're still taking sign-ups!

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 3, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AGN will engage with the Russian Northwest unit, commit a blitz token.
AGC, the lazy buggers, will not engage.
AGS will engage with the Russian Southwest unit, commit a blitz token.
AGR will not attack, we have greater plans for them will attack, using a blitz token and waste their breath. Oh, and the Luftwaffe Support card. Zis is why ze AGR is ze smallest, weakest unit. Pure rank insubordination and all zat malarkey, its like zey vant to be used as cannon fodder.

I will allow Davin to veto any decisions regarding AGN and AGC until it finds its own leader, and the same can be said about AGS/R once it finds a leader.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 12, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Very well, your call, sir.

Engage the northwest front with all units. In the event of an advance, move into or towards Riga--if we can't get a unit inside it, at least get it into our ZOC.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

NW front withdraws to Riga, in the incredibly unlikely event that it should be forced backwards.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

NW front withdraws to Riga, in the incredibly unlikely event that it should be forced backwards.

Incredibly unlikely? I think not!

(Come on, high roll, don't let him park in Riga! :ohdear:)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If your forces fail to utterly destroy the enemy, I will openly denounce you in front of the Fuhrer or toss you on a front-line position under my direct command. Which one of those do you think will have a higher chance of your prolonged existence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey, I've got some internet problems and will have to delay the update until tomorrow. On the plus side, that should give HerpicleOmnicron5 more time to get in the preferred Advance path and Lord Windy to provide me with a retreat destination for the South Front. If I don't get these orders by the time I'm able to prepare the update, I will assume that both retreats and advances are done towards the nearest City hex.

• Locked thread