Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eh? Flop you say? Did we lose? No. Therefore, we won. Are the forces in Kiev dead? Yes. Therefore, it was a success. I will have no further discussion on this, and if you dare question me once again I will have you killed and replaced. By a puppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.
That logic hurts my brain so much, it's made me decide to apply for command of Army Group South. I don't think I can do much worse.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
We'll be glad to have you! Remember to e-mail me at tevery.best.sa [at] gmail.com to get added to the German doc.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Logicone, I hope you display naught but loyalty to your army group der fuhrer me. You must kill them all, we salute you! :patriot:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
http://english.iremember.ru/infantrymen/57-ivan-shelepov.html

quote:

It was quite a feeling - just an hour ago I was a civilian, and now I have a rifle in my hands. I knew war was scary, but I could never imagine such an all-embracing horror. I am wasting my time telling you about it - it is impossible to describe. The feeling was that you lived your whole life without any past or future. For some time I could not even move from shock, I swear! Of course, we were warned that at the dawn we would attack. The company commanders walked around and warned us. But it all happened in a very strange way. I do not remember that fight in detail. I don't know why - some of the engagements stand in my memory as if they happened yesterday, but my first battle experiences are very vague. I always confuse them.

Squads stayed together in shallow trenches. We covered ourselves with branches so that the Germans would not spot us. I thought that there will be a cry "Forward!", we would shout "Hurra!" and attack. Everything was quite different though. Our company commander told us quietly "Lets go, guys!" and climbed on to the parapet. I did the same. I followed him purely automatically, not realizing, what I was doing. We quietly stood up, and just walked forward. We did not even run - just walked. No "Hurra!", no noise, no shouting. We just stood up and went ahead. It was still dark, there was a fog over the field. It was a dead silence around - just quiet rattling of our weapons. I do not remember how, but the scene changed, and it turned out that they were firing like crazy at us. First rifles, then two machine-guns. Or was it machine-guns right away? drat it - don't remember. Then we all ran, bending, I ran behind a guy, I don't know his name. From the whole assault I only remember his back with a bag-pack. I don't remember anything else.

I ran as fast as I could. Where I ran - I do not know. A cry "Forward" rang in my head, but I think I did not shout really. I do not know how long I ran - a second or an hour, the time stopped for me. Suddenly something hit me from the side, I thought I even flew through the air and fell down to the ground. I jumped up and fell again, this time from pain. My foot!!! My foot was twisted with pain. I tried to turn and see what happened to my foot, but I couldn't. I crept forward, but then I thought: "Wait! Why do I creep forward? I need to go back to the medical unit." For a long time I could not realize where the "back" and "forward" were. Smoke was all over, explosions, shooting, crash. The whole battlefield was littered with people convulsing from pain and some objects (I did not elaborate, WHAT kind of objects those were - Valeri). I found my bearings and crept back. I thought in desperation that I would never make it back to our lines. Somebody grabbed my foot and pulled. I think I even blacked out from pain. I do not know how I ended up in the trench. The commissar was right there! What the hell, he said, are you doing here? Coward! I said I was not a coward, I was wounded in my foot. Where is the wound??? - he shouted. I could not find it myself. A medic rushed to the stage, touched my foot and laughed loudly. It is a dislocation, he said, I am now going to pull your foot and heal you! He grabbed my foot - before I could say "mama" - and pulled it! The commissar just shook his head - so strong was my curse. I did not know myself, that I could curse so strongly.

- Did he order an investigation?

- Oh no! Why would he need me? He just asked which unit I came from and left me alone. The medic, after he learnt that I was from the third Company, that unloaded the night before, thawed and said that the companies were coming back. "Again we came to nothing, drat it! So many people are lost in vain." You creep to your friends, he said, and look out, because the Germans are going to send their air force now. You, he said, were really lucky today, remember this day! All your friends are going to be dead now, he said.

Deployments in a bit...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Troop placements:

Leningrad front to Leningrad
Reserve front to Moscow
Northwest front to Tula
Kalinin front to Kalinin
South front to Dnepropetrovsk
Bryansk front to Kharkov
Caucasus front to Voronezh
Southwest front to Stalino

Forces north of Kiev are hereby labeled the GLORIOUS NORTHERN DEFENCE ZONE.
Forces in Kiev and further south are hereby termed the COURAGEOUS SOUTHERN DEFENCE ZONE.

Long live the workers.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Fangz posted:

Troop placements:

Leningrad front to Leningrad
Reserve front to Moscow
Northwest front to Tula
Kalinin front to Kalinin
South front to Dnepropetrovsk
Bryansk front to Kharkov
Caucasus front to Voronezh
Southwest front to Stalino

Forces north of Kiev are hereby labeled the GLORIOUS NORTHERN DEFENCE ZONE.
Forces in Kiev and further south are hereby termed the COURAGEOUS SOUTHERN DEFENCE ZONE.

Long live the workers.

Look at all these troops... it is glorious.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Putting this up real quick before I have to leave. I'll edit in some fluff text and prettier banners once I come back.

Soviet factories work at a breakneck pace, while the Red Army conscription offices review hundreds and hundreds of volunteers (and not-volunteers).

Soviet discards are as follows:

In the North, the Leningrad Front has recovered enough to be able to stand against the enemy... for now.

Given that Axis Panzer spearheads have already passed Smolensk, the STAVKA commissions all possible forces for the defence of the capital.

Four Fronts are created or recreated to defend what part of the Ukraine is still in Soviet hands.

I need movement orders from cokerpilot and V. Illyich L. The deadline for those is Saturday, November 30, 6 PM GMT.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends and viewers.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 3, 2013

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The newly-rebuilt Red Army scrambles to protect its key cities from the relentless fascist advance.

In the north, they position themselves so as to force the Germans to divert their troops from an attack on Moscow. That way, they hope to hold them up in the forests around the capital and secure some precious time for its defenders.

As a side note, the Forest hex directly west of Moscow represents not just the terrain, but also the fortifications built there in the weeks before the Germans approached the capital.

Meanwhile, general-mayor cokerpilot orders his men to march against the Axis troops approaching his positions. He's hoping to delay them and keep them away from the vital industrial centres of Kharkov and the Donbas.

In the south, the Soviets leave Dnepropetrovsk to set up a defence near the entrance to the Crimean Peninsula. This does, however, leave most of eastern Ukraine open to German advance.

The Southwest Front is withdrawn from the line and prepared for a strategic move.

I've confirmed with Fangz that he will not place any Target markers this turn. This means that we'll have to wait for HerpicleOmnicron5 to decide if he's placing any counterblows (and if so, where and what will he discard in order to get them). If he places any, Fangz will need to decide if he'll commit any cards to them, followed by Herpicle again. The local commanders will have to plan out retreats and advances, and decide whether or not they would accept a counterattack. The deadline for all this is Monday, December 2, 7 PM GMT.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 30, 2013

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OK, so my personal life has suffered some setbacks and it's the middle of finals season. I would've been able to deal with one or the other, but not both. I'm sorry, but I'll have to bow out here. I should've done it earlier; my bad, guys.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That's a pity to hear. Hopefully it'll get better for you soon!

This opens up a vacancy for the Soviet northern sector. Any takers should apply the usual way.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
On the grounds that a clear central Ukraine is good for future operations, and that the card is not very good at this point in the campaign, I hereby propose discarding Hedgehogs to counterblow 2nd Panzer, and will accept a counterattack opportunity if offered. Subject to Herp's approval.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 2, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

OK, if that's your commands, then we're not committing anything. If not overridden by Coker, we're retreating to Kharkov on defeat, not advancing on victory.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Okay. In the event of a DR result on the counterattack, 2nd Panzer will advance SE E.

In the event of DS? SE SW SE.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I believe we should indeed Place a CB on the 2nd Panzer by discarding Hedgehog but only because it has been stated in the thread. In future, lets not let our foes know what we have.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

But if I didn't, Tevery Best might accidentally discard our "Nuclear Program Breakthrough" card that would let us win instantly :cheeky: It's being discarded for effect, anyways.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oh, so we're gonna let them use the "Western Allies have a Nuclear Breakthrough" card instead? Good god Davin, I dont know why in blazes we have such an incompetent buffoon on staff...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Nonsense, that card doesn't come into play until 1945. Also, if you want to see a buffoon, I'm sure OKH HQ has a mirror somewhere.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

All across the front line the action stalls as the Axis forces exhaust their supply build-up and the Soviet resistance stiffens. However, the aggressive commander of the 2nd Panzer notices that he's only held in place by unprepared and untrained Russian divisions. He decides to push his advantage and his advance quickly forces the Soviet command to respond. A difficult decision is made: the Caucasus Front must counter this move, lest they be shattered and crippled.

The Axis discard Hedgehogs/New Conscripts to make this possible.

Caucasus Front vs 2nd Panzer
Combat odds: 3/7 = 1:3 - no shifts
Roll: 5 - No effect

The general in charge of the Panzer Group has overestimated his capacities. Quite soon his officers realise just how stretched their supply situation is and decide to back down in the face of motivated and decisive Soviet response. Post-war historians will often argue if this could be a decisive point in the war - if only the general Guderian, in charge of the Panzer Group, would have been more bold, he could have ridden all the way to Kharkov! Others argue that such a leader would have been a reckless, glory-chasing goon that would never have made it too far in army command...

The Counterblow marker is removed.

Soviet Removals Phase
Disorganized markers removed from Leningrad, Reserve, Northwest, South, Bryansk and Southwest.

The Central Front, holed up around Kiev for nearly a month now, finally decides to surrender. The survivors are famished and plagued with diseases of all kinds, many of them have to be carried into captivity. The countryside is completely ravaged. And yet the spiteful People's Defence Commissar of Kiev refuses to acknowledge his inevitable defeat. He orders the citizens arm themselves and prepare for a fight to the last against the fascist oppressors. His efforts are just enough to keep the Germans out of the city for a couple more days and inspire propaganda in most of the USSR, but are unlikely to stand up to an actual move of the Axis armies - especially since the Soviet attempts at relief have been halted almost 100 kilometres away.

Soviet Detrainment Phase

In order to boost the defences of the Ukraine and the Crimea, the Southwest Front is deployed to Dnepropetrovsk.

With this we conclude Turn 2.

Blue is last turn's front line, red is current.

Bunch of meaningless statistics time!
Length of the front line: ~2000 km
Soviet POWs this turn: 350 000, 550 000 total
Number of German truck drivers bored to death by driving through the endless expanse of the USSR: 8

Housekeeping

It is now turn 3. The Game Turn Event is Begin Soviet Fortifying. This means that from this turn on, during the Flip Step of the Soviet Organization Phase, the Soviets may pay 1 card to flip a Regional Infantry Unit to the other side. Should they do so, that unit turns into a two-step unit, with Fortress on its full-strength side and Regional Infantry on its reduced-strength side. This can only be done to supplied units. Bear in mind that the Flip Step comes before the Placement step - meaning that the Soviets can only flip units already present on the board.

Limited Rail Moves is over. You can now have any number of units in the rail movement box (if you place more than one a turn there, however, you have to pay cards for the extras).

The Germans receive 2 Blitz! markers for this turn.

Oh, and - have you noticed that the bar with the turn number on it is brown now? This means we're dealing with a Mud Turn. It's also the first Variable Weather turn of the game! To the right you can see the Variable Weather marker, now on its Mud side. Should a card event tell us to flip it, we shall.

German troops try to move a command car around in the mud near Kiev.

What effects does Mud Weather have? I'm glad you asked!

It exists to gently caress over the Germans, basically.

During Mud turns, any units with more than 3 MP can only move as if they had 3 MP. You may have noticed that this afflicts all units on the Axis side, save for the Rumanians, but exactly none on the Soviet side, as they all have a movement allowance of 3.

Armour Bonus shifts in combat are off. I don't care that your panzers are whacking a bunch of Siberian conscripts in the middle of a giant field with "TANK COUNTRY" written all over it, gently caress you, Nazi scum. You may have noticed that the Soviets have exactly 0 Armour units in their OOB.

Oh, and once you've whacked them? Multi-hex advance is disabled. You can only move into the hex just vacated by the defender. Because gently caress you, this is General Mud in command.

Basically, the Germans are in for a rough ride.

Russian roads in a village near Moscow

Since this is a Sudden Death turn, let's see the VP track!

Axis VPs stand at 19. Sudden Death threshold for this turn is 20. So yeah, they're just short. But still short!

Next chance: 23 VPs at turn 6!

The Axis don't have to discard anything and just draw 4 cards.

No new units for the Axis, but HerpicleOmnicron5 can shift troops between Army Groups now.

I need movement orders from Davin Valkri for AGN/AGC and Logicone for Army Group South. Deadline for these is Wednesday, December 4th, 7 PM GMT.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 4, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mud glorious mud! Glorious glorious mud!

Give this mud a medal, please.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's not exactly made clear, and my initial assumption was that you had to have the number of VPs shown in the box, but you actually need to be over the sudden death score in order to win (so, for example, 21 VPs for the germans on turn 3). Unsurprisingly this single rule made early german victory extremely hard once I learnt about it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Wait, wha...

...bloody hell, this game really does have one of the worst manuals in GMT history. I think I knew about this, but I must have completely forgotten at some point? I really don't know. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

As much as I love Paradis as a designer, he's really fond of tinkering with his designs. I'm still unsure on how I missed that in my first play or if it was changed as part of one of the many revisions made to the game.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

quote:

Post-war historians will often argue if this could be a decisive point in the war - if only the general Guderian, in charge of the Panzer Group, would have been more bold, he could have ridden all the way to Kharkov! Others argue that such a leader would have been a reckless, glory-chasing goon that would never have made it too far in army command...

Hey, post-war historians, how about a nice hot cup of :flame:?!

Also proposing that once we're done here, we invade heaven, find whoever's in charge of the weather, then THROTTLE HIM UNTIL HE GIVES US THE KEYS!

...although come to think of it, it looks like our moves here will be more limited by Soviet ZoCs than by the weather.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
As an armchair general comfortably ensconced in the United States (and thus blessedly free from the wars ravaging the rest of the globe), it seems to me that if 3rd Panzer can smash the Kalinin Front, there would be nothing stopping 9th Army from walking right into Moscow.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You do movement before any combat, so you wouldn't be able to remove the EZOC in time. As well as that, you have to take into account that they would be attacking a forest (so no multi-hex advance) as well as the mud turn (which limits multi-hex by itself).

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'm still thinking about AGC, but for AGN:

18th Army: E NE, ending west of Leningrad
16th Army: E, ending southwest of Leningrad
4th Panzer: E, ending southwest of Leningrad
4th Army: E E SE, ending in Smolensk

EDIT: ...oh, fine! I'm done thinking now!
9th Army E E, ending west of Moscow
3rd Panzer E, ending west of Moscow
2nd Panzer remain in place

Guess what I'm going to do :hurr:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 4, 2013

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.
I thought about writing up this whole thing as a diary entry, but I'm lazy and Davin is yelling at me, so here are the orders for AGS.

17th Army, E SE, ending NW of Bryansk unit
6th Army, SE SE, ending W of Bryansk unit
1st Panzer, no movement
2nd Army, E, ending NW of Dnepropetrovsk
11th Army, E, ending W of Dnepropetrovsk
3rd Rumanian, E, ending W of Dnepropetrovsk
4th Rumanian, E SE, ending NW of the South unit

Edit: Fixed 6th Army to move through Kiev, hurr.

Logicone fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 4, 2013

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The mud delayed the Axis supply deliveries, but by mid-September they're already set up to move. Traversing the USSR is going to be a challenge in these conditions, though. Soviet roads are awful, and in many places the German columns experience traffic jams on their relatively narrow approach tracks. Going off-road is hardly a possibility - the mud is in some places bad enough to nearly swallow supply trucks, or even an occasional tank.

This is not the first time the Germans have found the roads to be the most awful enemy they had to face in a campaign. During the Polish campaign in September 1939, they were so shocked and appalled by the state of the road network that they were convinced it was a deliberate defensive measure. The mud wasn't nearly as bad back then, though.

Army Group North finally approaches Leningrad. The city is going to be a tough nut to crack, but that doesn't deter the German generals. The OKH is already debating possible assault plans. Meanwhile, the inhabitants find themselves besieged and surrounded, with only a narrow strip of coastal land open to trucks and carts bringing in provisions from elsewhere in the Soviet Union. Quite soon, the approaching Germans close off even that thin avenue. The STAVKA scrambles to organize a supply chain across Lake Ladoga, but it cannot come too soon for those within the city.

Army Group Centre continues its push towards Moscow. However, the Kalinin Front succeeds in stopping their move before the gates of the capital. As it is, however, the Germans are mere 90 kilometres away from the Red Square.

Meanwhile, the 2nd Panzer remains in place and prepares to strike against the Caucasus Front once more.

The Army Group South splits into two parts: the northern one is tasked with engaging the belated Soviet effort to relieve Kiev. The city is easily taken against token resistance, but many of the locals gather in the countryside and begin organising guerilla operations against the German rear. German VPs now at 20. In any case, the salient that the Bryansk Front's move towards the capital of the Ukrainian SSR created in the lines might become a very dangerous liability for the Soviet side.

The other part of AGS approaches Dnepropetrovsk with the intent of claiming control of the city. They are up against numerous and dedicated defenders, however, which might make victory here very difficult. But Dnepropetrovsk is the last Soviet position on the west bank of the Dneper and the key to both the Donbas and the Crimea - it must fall, lest the Axis advance stalls completely.

Bear in mind that the sea hexside here means that no EZOC is extended across and no attacks or counterblows can be made by the 4th Rumanian against the South Front or vice versa.

The procedure for the Combat Phase is as follows:
  1. HerpicleOmnicron5 submits up to 5 Target hexes for this turn. These are the hexes the Axis will voluntarily attack this turn.
  2. Fangz submits Counterblow hexes and cards the Soviets discard in order to perform those counterblows.
  3. Herpicle commits up to one card and one Blitz! marker per battle. He also submits in what order he wants those battles to be resolved.
  4. Fangz commits up to one card per battle.

Once Targets and Counterblows are declared, respectable Army Group and sector commanders decide where do they want to retreat and which units advance, if given the possibility (since multi-hex advance is off, that's all I need to know).

Bear in mind that the enemy will react to what you do, which is why it's kinda important that you answer relatively quickly.

The deadline for all this is Friday, December 6, 7 PM GMT.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 4, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Just to confirm, taking Kiev boosts our VP to 20, right?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yes, of course. I distinctly remember preparing to write it down, then promptly forgetting. I've added it now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Okay, place targets on :
Leningrad, Kalinin, Caucasus, Bryansk and Southwest, using a Blitz! on the Sotuhwest and Leningrad. Resolve from top down.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 5, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Uh...thanks to the position of the 17th Army, there is no river malus attacking the Bryansk front.

Also, we don't need the blitz for Leningrad, remember? Give it to Nep-Nep instead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The STAVKA will not be doing any counterblows this turn.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

If I may, I'd like to place provisional orders for OKH as a whole if Herp doesn't get back soon. Just something for STAVKA to chew on.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oh okay, I thought we did have a river crossing penalty. That simplifies things, now we need the men in black to wipe the Soviet memories of this event.

E: \/\/ Hey man, tell me in the docs what I'm missing, not the thread!

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 5, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

You're missing something VERY important. Remember the other card we have? If we want to take Moscow in 1942, NOW is the time to use it!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Can I actually declare my card commits at some point, because I've been waiting on you guys to finalise what you want to do for a day now?

EDIT: Seriously, man, there should be a rule that stuff posted in the thread is final, because going back and editing and updating it while both sides are under the same deadline to respond is kinda bad. At this rate, there will be little time left for me to discuss card commits and retreats with my other teammate.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 5, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AH OH GOODNESS I AM A MORON. On Leningrad, remove the blitz and play the card... Drumroll please ladies and gentlemen.

E: Sorry Fangz. In fairness, the edit was due to my incompetence and not a change in plans except for that blitz. Screw the second blitz.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If those are your final commits, STAVKA will commit no cards at this time.

• Locked thread