Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

They found it decades ago, sitting there beneath the trees. Cold and metal it stood, monolithic in the amber leaves of autumn. The Temple had formed from thin air, and through its doors they found chambers filled with the strange machines of old worlds. But the greatest of was The Vortex, a swirling pool of energy powering the structure and giving life to the Numenera within. They came to worship it, calling themselves The Monastic Order of Narthex, and their numbers grew many. But that was years ago and even the elders will tell you they're just a footnote of the past.

And then she came. Yellow robes torn and tattered, stumbling into town and pleading for help. She spoke of her escape from captors and her still trapped brother. He was being kept in a temple, she said, where strange people worshiped a great vortex swirling with the energy of worlds past.

---

Info

Despite Numenera's release, there's almost no games being run on the forum for it. It's a breathtaking setting, so I've decided to change that and run my own. This will follow a modified version of Vortex, an adventure used to show the game off at GenCon 2013. I've never GM'ed Numenera before, but hopefully we'll all get into the groove of things quickly enough!

I'm looking for 4-5 players, first tier. Recruitment will be closed in one week's time, Sunday November 17th.

(If you don't have the Numenera corebook, or just have questions to ask, just post in this thread or PM me and I'll help you out. Alternatively you can check out the Numenera thread in TradGames for additional help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Yes! If it's ok, I'll repost my character from the other recruit thread. Let me know if there're any glaring problems, as I've no idea what might constitute a bad combination.

pre:
I am a Tough Glaive who Masters Defense.
Bardakos the Quiet is a mountain of a man, and one who is always ready to stand between his charge and the many dangers of the Ninth World.
Though he only speaks of his past reluctantly, and only then in small pieces, a few common points seemed to come up: a merchant of the
city of Norou once employed him, but through the machinations of another (of whom Bardakos will not even speak the name) he was
dismissed in shame. It is unknown how long ago this was, for Bardakos rarely removes his helmet. His body, however, suggests a
long life of conflict and battle.
Now Bardakos has found another employer, and it remains to be seen how his skills fare in this new journey...
Links/Connections:
- You were the personal guard of a wealthy merchant who accused you of theft. You left her service in disgrace. (Glaive)
- You’re acting as a bodyguard for one of the other PCs. (Tough)
- Pick one other PC. This character protected you from harm recently, and you feel indebted to him for saving your life. (Masters Defense)

Tier 1
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might: 15/1
Speed: 12/0
Mind :  7/0

Skills:
Trained --
- Climbing
- Might defense actions
- Speed defense actions (w/ shield master)

Specialized --

Abilities
- Practiced in Armor
- Practiced with All Weapons
- Resilient (+1 Armor)
- Healthy (add 1 to points regained in Recovery)
- Shield Master (can act as trained in Spd defense, but attacks at +1 difficulty)

Fighting Moves
- Bash (1 Might)
- Thrust (1 Might)

Cyphers 2/2
- GM choice
- GM choice

Oddity 1/1
- GM choice

Starting Equipment
- Clothing (glaive)
- Explorer's Pack (glaive)
- Chainmail Hauberk (2 armor)
- 1 broadsword, 1 shield (glaive)
- 1 shield (masters defense)
- 1 rapier (tough)
- 1 shield (masters defense)
- 5 shins

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

I expected there'd be an influx of people who don't get into Sarx's game, so reposting's perfectly fine with me! Bardakos is looking good, hope to see more characters soon.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The other thread has been on hold for a bit. I'll need a hand with creation as I don't have the book, so far I just have a concept and backstory, and the first sentence.

Ok, I've got what I need, mostly. A few things are still pending, but just the 'connections'. I think.

I am a Mechanical Jack who fuses flesh and steel.

quote:

Tier 1
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might 14/0
Speed 15/0
Mind 15/1

Links and Connections
Jack: My older sister is a skilled nano, and though I was not able to follow in her path, the numenera are not unknown to me.
-Nara's sister, Aris, is a little older than her and more studied in the stranger aspects of the numenera. After her injury, it was from Aris that Nara learned of possible numenera healing, and ultimately led to her fusion with machine.

Mechanincal: I need money to fund my studies.
-Before adventuring, Nara was a tinker and mechanic, fixing anything from water pumps to numenera vehicles. She still does this, but her new abilities give plenty of opportunities for upgrades. Opportunities that need money and raw materials.

Fuses Flesh and Steel: Vance knows secret commands, capable of many things, such as shutting Nara down for ten minutes.
-No matter how many mirrors you set up, there are some tasks a cyborg just can't do on her own. Mostly brain/programming issues, or the circuits that connect to it. Nara has previously had Vance help her with this, as he Talks To Machines, which has led to him learning some command words.

Skills:
Trained in mechanical building, repair and tinkering
Trained in understanding or identifying numenera

Flex Skill: At the beginning of each day, choose one task (other than attacks or defense) on which you will concentrate. For the rest of that day, you’re trained in that task. You can’t use this ability with a skill you’re already trained in to become specialized.

Abilities
Trained Without Armor: You are trained in Speed defense actions when not wearing armor. Enabler

Pierce (1 Speed point): This is a well-aimed, penetrating ranged attack. You make an attack and inflict 1 additional point of damage if your weapon has a sharp point. Action.

Sense “magic”: You can sense whether the numenera is active in situations where its presence is not obvious. You must study an object or location closely for a minute to get a feel for whether the touch of the ancients is at work.

Esotery: You can perform the esotery known as Hedge Magic when you have a free hand and can pay the Intellect point cost.

Hedge Magic (1 Intellect point): You can perform small tricks: temporarily change the color or basic appearance of a small object, cause small objects to float through the air, clean a small area, mend a broken object, prepare (but not create) food, and so on. You can’t use hedge magic to harm another creature or object. Action.

Inability: You have a manner or an aura that others find a bit unnerving. The difficulty of any task involving charm, persuasion, or deception is increased by one step.

Special Healing: Traditional healing skills, medicines, and techniques work only half as well for you. Each time you start at full health, the first 5 points of damage you take can never be healed in these ways or recovered normally. Instead, you must use repairing skills and abilities to restore those points. For example, if you start with a full Might Pool of 10 and take 8 points of damage, you can use recovery rolls to restore 3 points, but the remaining 5 points must be restored using repairing methods.

Minor Cybernetic Effect
Hybrid energy source: Spend a point of Might to ignore a lack of food, water or sleep for one day, or a lack of air for one hour, as cybernetics draw on additional power supplies to compensate.

Major Cybernetic Effect
Salvaged upgrades: Using the leftover parts from a disabled or damaged (But not destroyed) machine or mechanical enemy, gain the use of a minor ability based on the function of the salvaged machine. This minor ability is available until replaced by a different salvaged ability.

SALVAGED UPGRADE: Broadcast Blast (2 Intellect): On a successful roll, target is assaulted with television and radio signals from across space-time. Target is stunned for 2 turns and can take no action.

Equipment

An open vest, several toolbelts and a waist-sash, over a matte-black plastic-like bodysuit, parts of which are actually cybernetic shell. Exactly which parts is hard to tell.

Forearm Blade (Light)
Buzzer (Light)
Nara was always in the habit of keeping some spare equipment up her sleeve, where it's always close to hand. These days, the hand comes off, and the equipment is even closer.

Leather jerkin (Unequipped)
Sometimes a girl needs a little extra protection, but mostly it's tight, uncomfortable and blocks the heat vents. You know, standard issues.

Explorer’s pack
Pack of light tools
Not so much carried as worn, sometimes even integrated.

Bag of mechanical parts
Spare wires, fuses, circuits and other more esoteric numenera-machine components, along with plenty of scrap to fix cosmetic damage. Also included are D-Cell field rations, and AA snacks.

Two cyphers
A deep blue pill in the shape of a brain (level 6): Once ingested, the user finds themselves with the sudden knowledge to defend against mental damage (trained in Intellect defense). Lasts 28 hours.

A flat, oblong crystal (level 3): When activated, adds 2 armor to whichever set of armor it is affixed. Lasts 28 hours.

Two oddities
Glass slab that creates light trails when your drag your fingers across it. Retains trails until shaken.

A wooden bowl that when filled with plain water, slowly colors any matter placed in it. Colors seem to be random.

0 shins.

----------------------------------------------------------

Nara was a tinker and a tinkerer by trade, travelling the Wandering Walk with a caravan of other trades too useful to do without, but too specialized to make a living in one place.

A bandit attack left her paralysed on one side, until she heard stories of a numanera that could heal wounds, in a de-powered ruin with broken machinery stopping the doors from opening. Perfect for her skillset.

Of course, things are never that simple. Repairing and restoring power to the doors also restored many of the ruin's defences, but Nara eventually made it to her prize.

It looked like a suit of armour when she put it on and charged it up, but when she regained consciousness, it was fitted much closer, like a second skin. In some places, such as her damaged limbs and more recent injuries, it was the only skin, a permanent part of her, new senses telling her about charge levels, mechanical stress and upcoming oil changes.

Nara still doesn't know what all of it does, but she's learning. The machine seems to be learning too, and instead of bugging Nara about an expired warranty and need for a service, it has begun identifying upgrade and repair components. With each injury it heals and each upgrade it applies, there's a little more of it, and a little less Nara. She's sure she's still herself though, who else would she be?

Elfface fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 10, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

I expected there'd be an influx of people who don't get into Sarx's game, so reposting's perfectly fine with me! Bardakos is looking good, hope to see more characters soon.
Yeah, I kind of wonder what's going on with the Beale thread. But I'm just hoping my plan of stocking up on all the armor I can to become a veritable tank isn't a prima facie dumb idea the way the rules work :v:

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Alright, I'm interested in this, BUT I am new to PBP games and role playing games in general. So if I should stay out of this I understand. If newbies are welcome, can anyone point me to some resources so I can begin to understand how this works and so I can create a character in the correct manner.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Man, I should make a dude for this. Hmmmmm.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I'll be editing this as I make changes and improvements, this is just getting on the ground floor. Quick question - for The Strange kickstarter, one of the updates (I don't think it's backer only) talks about a new descriptor that The Strange and Numenera can use - Lucky. Can I try that out? Let me know, I'll edit to something else if it's a no-go.

I am a Lucky Jack who Rides the Lightning.

Guess I'm kinda a repairman. Other folk call me a tinker, but hey, I fix things that are broke, and work on non-broke things to keep 'em that way. Fixing a cart, or patching a hole in a roof? I can do that. Fixing a cypher? Tricker. Way tricker, but some times possible. Really, most problems can be fixed, you just gotta look at it in the right way.

pre:
Links/Connections:
- Knowing that lucky people notice and take active advantage of opportunities, you became involved in your 
first adventure by choice.  (Lucky)
- You come from a nearby community, but the locals consider the folk of your hometown to be untrustworthy 
rivals (Jack)
- Pick one other PC. This character  has been your friend for a long time, and you have learned to bring her
along when you ride the lightning. If the character is standing right next to you, you can take her with you 
when you use the Bolt Rider or Electrical Flight powers. (Normally, neither ability allows you to transport 
other creatures.). (Ride the Lightning)

Tier 1
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might: 12/0
Speed: 13/1
Mind : 11/0
Luck:   3

Skills:
Trained --
- Repairing
Flex Skill

Specialized --

Abilities
- Practiced in Armor (TotT)
- Thrust (TotT)
- Practiced with Light and Medium Weapons
- Flex Skill
- Advantage: When you use 1 XP point to reroll a d20 for any roll that affects only you, add +3 to the 
reroll.
- Shock (RtL)
- Charge (RtL)

Tricks of the Trade (pick 2)

Cyphers 2/2
- GM choice
- GM choice

Oddity 1/1
- GM choice

Starting Equipment
- Clothing 
- 1 Weapon
- 1 Other Weapon
- 1 Light Armor
- Explorer's Pack (Jack)
- Light Tool Pack (Jack)
- Bag of miscellaneous batteries and power cells (RtL)
- 8 shins

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 11, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I'll apply too since the other thread seems to be on hiatus. Using the other character that I decided to not use in the other thread.

pre:
Vance "The Trapper", A clever nano who talks to machines

An unassuming man with a perpertual tired look on his face, Vance is an explorer
and researcher of sorts. Born with an uncanny knack for the manipulation of the
numenera and a clever mind capable of deciphering their workings, he makes a
living by using his talents to search the ruins of the past for usable devices.

Vance earned his nickname with his tendency to use his environment as a weapon by
luring his opponents into positions where he can knock them into environmental
hazards or take them out with hijacked heavy machinery.

Vance has been working as an assistant for a local numenera merchant, performing
mechanic work and doing supply runs, to replenish his reagents and gear, after an
incident with a teleportation device in some ruins left him stranded halfway across
the world bereft of his possessions.

Links/Connections:
- From afar, Vance observed that something interesting was going on. (Clever)
- Vance knows a local merchant very well. Since he gives them so much business,
  they offer him discounts and special treatment. (Nano)
- _____ seems to have a terrible relationship with machines. (Talks to machines)

Tier: 1
Effort: 1

Pool/Edge:
- Mgt: 10/0
- Spd: 12/0
- Int: 14/1

Skills:
- Numenera, Trained
- Machine Affinity, Trained
- Lies/Trickery, Trained
- Mental Defense, Trained
- Identifying/Assessing, Trained

Passive Abilities:
- Inability: Lore/Knowledge/Understanding
- Practiced with light weapons

Active Abilities/Esoteries:
- Distant Activation (1 Int)
- Push (2 Int)
- Scan (2 Int)

Gear:
- A loose grey mechanic's jumpsuit, a long brown cargo vest and a worn brown rain poncho
- Wrist crossbow (Dart thrower: Light, 2 Dmg, Long range)
 - 12 darts
- A book about numenera
- Bag of small tools
Cyphers, 3/3:
- ?
- ?
- ?
Oddities:
- ?
Valuables:
- 14 Shins
Also, If it matters, I might be partially spoiled in regards to the adventure depending on how modified it is, since I've partially watched the numenera LP in this thread. Though I'll ofcourse try to avoid metagaming if I get in.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The setting is really fascinating. I might make a guy for this at some point this week.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Elfface posted:

The other thread has been on hold for a bit. I'll need a hand with creation as I don't have the book, so far I just have a concept and backstory, and the first sentence.

Sure thing. Just post your email in the thread and I'll help you out with it.

Motley posted:

Alright, I'm interested in this, BUT I am new to PBP games and role playing games in general. So if I should stay out of this I understand. If newbies are welcome, can anyone point me to some resources so I can begin to understand how this works and so I can create a character in the correct manner.

Well you can purchase the player's guide for $8 here, or post your email and I'll help you out.

Dedman Walkin posted:

Quick question - for The Strange kickstarter, one of the updates (I don't think it's backer only) talks about a new descriptor that The Strange and Numenera can use - Lucky. Can I try that out? Let me know, I'll edit to something else if it's a no-go.

It's perfectly fine with me. Though remember that it's extra work on your part with an additional pool.

Okasvi posted:

Also, If it matters, I might be partially spoiled in regards to the adventure depending on how modified it is, since I've partially watched the numenera LP in this thread. Though I'll ofcourse try to avoid metagaming if I get in.

Don't worry about it— That doesn't disqualify you. Though remember, I'll be watching.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I am an interested player who is spoilt for choice...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Works for me, I'm james416.jp at gmail.com

And thanks for the help, I've got most of the stuff sorted. I just need a little help with my Cybernetic abilities. No idea if the Minor ability is balanced, and the Major is missing some numbers, since I'm not sure what to plug in.

Any suggestions?

Elfface fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 12, 2013

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I don't have the book for this but it looks pretty interesting.I have some ideas for a character(Butler bot stuck outta time), whilst i normally play mostly dungeon crawls and combat heavy games this would be an interesting change of pace.
my e-mail is azmilion@gmail.com my skype is azmilion.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I am a CHARMING GLAIVE who MURDERS, I think. Dude on the way soon.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Elfface posted:

Any suggestions?

The minor's fine. I like the idea of the scavenging on the major, so here's a suggestion. Cut out the recovery aspect of it and it should be fine. This could tie into advancing tiers, as the suit would probably deem itself ready for upgrade at some point in time, and do freaky poo poo where it tears up Numenera and rebuilds the suit.

AzMiLion posted:

I don't have the book for this but it looks pretty interesting.

Sending an email out now.

Winson_Paine posted:

I am a CHARMING GLAIVE who MURDERS, I think. Dude on the way soon.

Can't wait to see it! You make pretty awesome characters.

So far we're getting some great entries! Might have to close recruitment early if it keeps up.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ok, edited and sorted. I guess I've still got those connections with other people to do, but since I don't know who the other people will be yet...

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

If there are any major fuckups in here please do tell.

This is the Logo and text on the back of his jumpsuit, the striped through bits are scraped and damage, apparently done by Custo himself

quote:

I am a Mechanical nano who Works Miracles.

TO:<DATA LOST>
BODY:

Greetings Valued Custo<DATA LOST>
<DATA LOST>
Thank you for your Purchase!
-Cronodyne Industries

Custo
Finding two things in his memory upon booting, A set of coordinates and a message containing his name, Custo's first task was digging himself out of the dirt he was covered in and correcting the obvious error on his suit, what's a 502-A anyway? After this menial task was completed in only two whole cycles he set off for the coords in his memory.
Custo has an unassuming appearance, wearing a old janitors jumpsuit, untill you get close to him and the time he spent under the sand becomes apparent,
spots on his face where the sand has worn away the fleshy coating on his metal skin cause lines to run across his face and torso,
all leading to several connectors in all shapes and sizes on the back of his neck.
Custo has made his way to town by helping out in places he came by, healing or entertaining in exchange for knowledge and facts about the world, and of course occasionally running for his life. Dependng on the town you ask in he is either known as "Custo the Magnificent","Custo the Healer" or "Get the pitchforks lads!, let's break 'im up into parts!"

This place though? The people here seem uncaring about Custo and mostly ignore him. Custo likes it though, with the coords he has pointing to the town itself.

Links/Connections
1) Upon rebooting the only coordinates in my databanks were this town(M/M)[Signs/portents/dream]
2) I hail from a distant place where i was well known and regarded, but the people here treat me with suspicion(Nano)
3) Vance quietly suspects me to be a messiah,supernatural being or something else entirely.(Miracles)

Tier 1
Effort 1

XP expenditure log
Tier 1
-4 Stat Points(3 Intellect, 1 Might)
-
-
-

Pool/Edge
Might 9 0
Speed 11 0
Intellect 20 1

Skills:
Trained
-

Specialized
-identifying and understanding the numenera, Being a walking talking piece of old-world tech has it's advantages. Custo is more knowledgable on the Numenera than most adventurers on the 9th world.

Abilities
-Practiced with Light Weapons
-Numenera Training
-Sense "Magic"
-Esoteries(Some people call it magic. Custo calls it his offensive and entertainment protocolls. weither he is slicing reality and minds, or performing cheap party tricks.)
--Ward(+1 armor)
--Onslaught
--Hedge Magic
-Inability(Being a Synthetic Human has it's advantages, in that food isn't something you require that often.
The downside of it is that once the paint starts to rub off your appearance becomes quite unsettling with the whole bits of metal exposed all over your body thing.)

Customer aid unit 502-A Extra components
-Wireless Module, 15ft of reliable range, cuts out at 20ft. Wired mode available.
--Compatible Users: Nara
-Waterproof Warding system
--Custo is waterproof up untill a certain depth, tasks that require effort require extra difficulty rolls. Water may be to deep and a hazard roll might happen.(GM Discretion)

Esotery
-Onslaught
--Forceray (1 int, 4 damage)
--Mindslice(1 int, 2 int damage)
-Hedge Magic(1 int)
-Ward (+1 Armor)

Miracles
-Healing Touch (1 int, 1d6 heal)

Cyphers 3/3
-Metal wristband with glowing symbols and front slot (level 7): The only feature that seems to work on this thing is the last button, which shoots a disc of light that explodes on impact, blinding all in the immediate radius for one minute.
-Synth rectangle with clamps (level 4): When affixed to a weapon it imbues each hit with a burst of flame (+2 damage). Lasts 28 hours.
-Thin metal card (level 4): When slotted into your frame, your servo processes increase greatly. Gain 1 Speed edge for an hour.

Oddity 2/2
-A small, round robot with two arms and a display with a simple face. Putters around collecting small pieces of refuse and collecting them in an internal compactor.
-A purple octagon of shiny metal. Speaks in a thousand unintelligible whispers when exposed to sunlight. - Currently on loan to a healer in Jutte.

Equipment
-Clothing(Cronodyne Branded Jumpsuit with easy access for vent holes, Cronodyne standard issue working boots.)
-Fore-arm Blade(light), Always having a need for a self-defence tool, this blade is a folding model, when not in use it's neatly hidden under his jumpsuit, only those who know it's there would be able to spot it.
-A book about the numenera
-12 Shins

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 20, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Never played Numenera before, but I own the core books and it's about time I gave it a whirl, so here goes.

pre:
I am a Rugged Jack who Carries A Quiver.

Hyndr Baumen

I practically grew up in the wild. My first memories are from my dad moving us up one trail, down the other, onto that old road and off through the bushes.
I don't even remember my ma. Always wondered what had my da so keen on travelling so much. Wanderlust? Fear? Guess I'll never know, he was real tight-lipped
about the past. Clever, though. I learned from one of the best, and now I'm one the best drat guides they've got around these parts.

Can't quite seem to stay put in one place, either. Guess it's just in the blood.

Links/Connections
1) Keep on learning, keep on living. It's what my da always said. At least until he up and vanished one day. (Jack)
2) drat fools are getting themselves in trouble; can't let 'em go it alone. (Rugged)
3) --- gave me this fine bow. I've called him a friend since. (Secretly pick a second PC. When you miss with a bow and
the GM rules that you struck someone other than your target, you hit the second character, if possible.) (Archer)

Tier 1
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might 11 0
Speed 14 1
Intellect 11 0

Skills:
-I am trained in all tasks involving climbing,
jumping, running, and swimming.
-I am trained in all tasks involving training, riding,
or placating natural animals.
-I am trained in all tasks involving identifying or
using natural plants.
-I am trained in Sneaking.
-I am a Fletcher, trained in making bows and arrows.
-Flex Skill

Abilities

-Practiced with Light and Medium weapons
-Practiced in Armor
-Pierce
-Inability: Charm/persuasion/etiquette/deception.
-Archer

Cyphers 2/2
-Chosen by GM
-Chosen by GM

Oddity 1/2
-Chosen by GM.

Equipment
-Clothing (Scavenged gear)
-Broadsword (medium)
-A well-worn crossbow (medium)
-A well-made bow and two dozen arrows (medium)
-Skinning knife (light)
-Light armor (Hides and Furs)
-An explorer’s pack
-50 feet (15 m) of rope
-Two days’ worth of rations
-Pack of light tools
-8 shins

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Where is the starting gear listed? I cant find it to save my life.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Winson_Paine posted:

Where is the starting gear listed? I cant find it to save my life.

Somewhere under the various descriptors. A Charming Glaive who Murders would have:

- Additional Equipment: You’ve managed to talk your way
into some decent discounts and bonuses in recent weeks.
As a result, you have 10 extra shins jangling in your pocket. (from Charming)

-Starting Equipment: You start with clothing, two weapons
(or one weapon and a shield), light or medium armor, an
explorer’s pack, two cyphers (chosen for you by the GM),
one oddity (chosen for you by the GM), and 5 shins (coins).
If you start with a ranged weapon that requires ammunition
(arrows, for example), you start with 12 of that type of
ammunition. Before selecting your weapons, armor, and
other gear, you might want to wait until after. (From 'first-tier' Glaive)

-Additional Equipment: You start with a disguise kit and three
doses of a level 2 blade poison that inflicts 5 points of damage. (From Murders)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I've never done tried a PbP before, so I fully understand if you're wanting people with more experience than this, but I thought I'd make up a character anyway and we can see what happens. I can always use it for something else later! Obviously, feel free to point out anything you think needs changing.

pre:
Narot - A doomed nano who commands mental powers

Credit to the person who originally drew this and to google image search for finding it!

Narot grew up alone. Not by choice, but by necessity. It wasn't going to be like that, his family wasn't rich, but 
they weren't hurting for shins either. Pillars of the community. A perfectly normal life awaited him; an arranged 
marriage, stability. But then came that day. That incident, out hunting, the constant black void in his mind he cannot
reach no matter how hard he tries, made him less than invisible. Everyone, even his family, ignored him totally. Even
the throwing of a stone against one of them would not illicit response. The newfound ability to hear the whispering in
other peoples heads wasn't much of a consolation prize. An outcast, he fled, and so he has existed ever since, drifting
from one place to another. Since the day of his leaving his live has been nothing but a series of misfortunes and betrayals.
He believes he is hated by the universe itself and it is true that whatever he builds inevitably collapses hurting all those
around him. So he travels alone protected only by armour of pure cynicism. With few friends and fewer ties, he has been
reduced to moving along the trade routes of the Steadfast, stealing or doing odd jobs for what's needed to survive.

Origin of special powers:
Unknown (GM can secretly roll again and keep the result hidden)

Connections:
While travelling alone you saved the life of a powerful abhuman brute from a mob of normal humans. Although
unwilling to accompany you on your journey, he remains indebted to you.
Despite attempting to avoid becoming involved, fate conspired to draw you into the events.
X is particularly mentally attuned to you, while in close proximity you are always in telepathic contact and they
are immune to your psychic bursts.

Tier: 1
Effort: 1

Pool/Edge:
- Might: 8/0
- Speed: 12/0 
- Intellect: 16(17)/1

Skills:
- Numenera use and theory, Trained
- Perception related tasks, Trained
- Speed defence actions, Trained
- Resisting effects that rely on psychological shock, Trained
- Practiced with light weapons

Inability:
- Doomed - Every other time the GM uses GM intrusion on your character, you cannot refuse it and do not get an XP
for it (you still get an XP to award to another player). The universe is a cold, uncaring place, and your efforts 
are futile at best.

Esoteries:
- Onslaught
- Scan
- Telepathy

Gear:
- A hooded warm black traveller's cloak that covers the entirety of his body, a grey bandana used to hold his
mind gem against his forehead, a shabby brown buttonless shirt, undyed cotton trousers and leather boots
- Buzzer + 5 ammo
- A book about the numenera
- A gem that when worn on the head gives +1 to the intellect pool, but if lost gives -5 to the same pool
- Three cyphers - GM's discretion
- An oddity - GM's discretion

Valuables:
- 4 Shins

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 16, 2013

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am tempted to make something, likely a glaive. But one of my ideas seems like it could be a bad idea, not only does its ability only come in to effect like 5 days a month but also makes it liable to attack all but one of his allies.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 14, 2013

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

I am tempted to make something, likely a glaive. But one of my ideas seems like it could be a bad idea, not only does its ability only come in to effect like 5 days a month but also makes it liable to attack all but one of his allies.

Yeah, Howls At the Moon is kind of weird. I'm totally cool with home-brewing stuff however, so if you still want to use it just change the mechanic (hulk mode, button-activated temporal swap out, etc.) and most likely I'll be cool with what you come up with.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh, how does this work? Is it not just the first 5 people?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

Oh, how does this work? Is it not just the first 5 people?

People usually keep posting characters and the GM makes his picks after a while. Good luck!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Megazver posted:

People usually keep posting characters and the GM makes his picks after a while. Good luck!

Ah, okay. Please don't discount my character then. I'll just wait and see what happens.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf, I updated my sheet abit but have a question, as far as i can tell i get the knowledge about the numera skill twice. Can we change that out for something?(gear/other ability/whatever) I also worked on his background and disability a bit since i wasn't entirely happy about it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
If you get trained in a skill twice it upgrades to specialized.

Saberwulf I am not sure how one would go about changing the Howl at the Moon focus. It is designed such that it starts out uncontrolled being usable only for 1 hour a night for 5 nights. Then later levels add the option to make a check to change on purpose, reducing the difficulty of the roll to change and eventually no longer needing to roll to change.

If it was reworked to be at will or something then half or more of the later tier abilities would need to be reworked. That said I might just switch from Howl and the Moon to Rages.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Updated Custo, again.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

If you get trained in a skill twice it upgrades to specialized.

Saberwulf I am not sure how one would go about changing the Howl at the Moon focus. It is designed such that it starts out uncontrolled being usable only for 1 hour a night for 5 nights. Then later levels add the option to make a check to change on purpose, reducing the difficulty of the roll to change and eventually no longer needing to roll to change.

If it was reworked to be at will or something then half or more of the later tier abilities would need to be reworked. That said I might just switch from Howl and the Moon to Rages.

Well Vortex only carries players through to the second Tier. But I totally understand and I'm cool with anything. Remember that I'm always available for PM and email as well if you ever want to break things down and re-work them.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I did change to doomed, so I updated my character sheet up there.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

I have a spare moment, so I'll just push the time up.

Signups are closed! If you have an incomplete sheet or have not made one already, please do so by 9:00 PM EST tomorrow or I will not accept your application. I'll post who got in and then post the play thread that night or Tuesday morning, depending on my schedule.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

:siren:--RESULTS--:siren:

Bardakos, Tough Glaive who Masters Defense - Friar John

Custo, Mechanical Nano who Works Miracles - AzMiLion

Nara, Mechanical Jack who Fuses Flesh and Steel - Elfface

Narot, Doomed Nano who Commands Mental Powers - CottonWolf

Vance, Clever Nano who Talks to Machines - Okavsi

----

I'll tell you, this was some of the hardest choices I've made since Dungeon Attack! Thank you all for the wonderful applications, and sorry if you didn't get in. For those who did, the play thread will be posted tomorrow.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Awesome. How do you want us to do the intra-party background stuff?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cool. Thanks! Also, as well as intra-party connections, what's going to happen with oddities and cyphers? Will you just stick our allocations in the opening post of the play thread?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Awesome!

Looking forward to this, lot's of busy fornthe next weeks but daily posting will happen, there might be a phonepost every now and then but i'll keep up with the thread. Custo was a silly idea on my end that ended up turning into something better than the original concept. As for the inter-party stuff, do we work that out amongst ourselves? I have a couple of ideas as to whom could think custo is supernatural.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Thanks for the pick!

I'm not sure what all the connections are to pick mine, but I'm ok with being inserted in to ones that imply I've done things, like bodyguard/protectee or old friends or whatever.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Elfface posted:

I'm not sure what all the connections are to pick mine, but I'm ok with being inserted in to ones that imply I've done things, like bodyguard/protectee or old friends or whatever.

I pm'd you the connection options for your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ah, thanks very much!
Ok, my three connections are:

Jack: My older sister is a skilled nano, and though I was not able to follow in her path, the numenera are not unknown to me.
Nara's sister, Aris, is a little older than her and more studied in the stranger aspects of the numenera. After her injury, it was from Aris that Nara learned of possible numenera healing, and ultimately led to her fusion with machine.

Mechanincal: I need money to fund my studies.
Before adventuring, Nara was a tinker and mechanic, fixing anything from water pumps to numenera vehicles. She still does this, but her new abilities give plenty of opportunities for upgrades. Opportunities that need money and raw materials.

Fuses Flesh and Steel: Vance knows secret commands, capable of many things, such as shutting Nara down for ten minutes.
No matter how many mirrors you set up, there are some tasks a cyborg just can't do on her own. Mostly brain/programming issues, or the circuits that connect to it. Nara has previously had Vance help her with this, as he Talks To Machines, which has led to him learning some command words.

The final section is assuming Okavsi is OK with it too, but I thought it fitted well. Either that or select Custo, saying they have some components in common.

• Locked thread