Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, gunshots are bashing damage for vampires. Considering vampires are basically sentient, magical blood piloting a corpse like a mecha suit, anything that relies on organ trauma is barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've played as Malkavian and Gangrel, so I'm throwing a vote on the pile for female Ventrue. Name suggestion: Xena.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You uninstalled it? I keep it on my PC at all times. Same with Deus Ex.

No.

No, I didn't. Just checked, and apparently all I did was remove the shortcut from desktop, to try to avoid temptation.

Why must I play this game so much.

:negative:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I've had a fairly interesting history with this game. When I originally bought it, shortly after it came out, it turned out I didn't actually have a PC that could run it. Six months later I was able to afford a laptop ram stick and I was finally able to install it on my laptop (which would barely start the game). Of course, it was unplayable in its non-patched state so it was almost a full two years after the original purchase before I actually was able to play it. Still totally worth it.

I'm looking forward to this LP, and I'm loving the Vampire/Werewolf/Mage OWoD chat.

Never played a Gangrel, so going to throw my vote behind Belle as well.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Three pages in and I should get to making the first update!

The results are that we will be playing as a female Ventrue. The name Belle would have been perfect for a Gangrel, but instead...

ArchWizard posted:

A female Ventrue named Melissa.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a BloodNet reference, but it fits so perfectly.

Expect an update later today or tomorrow.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Tehan posted:

Yeah, gunshots are bashing damage for vampires. Considering vampires are basically sentient, magical blood piloting a corpse like a mecha suit, anything that relies on organ trauma is barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Ah, yes. Sorry. I was going back and forth between V:tM and V20 to contrast and compare changes and I seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle :v:

Yes, vampires only take Bashing from firearms, though incendiary ammo or close range tracer rounds can cause aggravated damage from the burning phosphorus.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

gatz posted:

The results are that we will be playing as a female Ventrue.

I've heard that they have some unique dialogue based on Ventrue being top dog of the Camarilla, so I'll be looking forward to that, since I've never done a Ventrue playthrough.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tehan posted:

I've heard that they have some unique dialogue based on Ventrue being top dog of the Camarilla, so I'll be looking forward to that, since I've never done a Ventrue playthrough.

It's more interesting than Gangrel, anyway. Gangrel abilities are pretty useful, but I don't think they get any unique dialog at all, and the one time when their animalistic nature might have come in handy plays out the same no matter what sort of vampire you are.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think it also bears mentioning that since Ravnos also had a 10 in Fortitude (this is on a scale of 1-5), he had so little to fear from the (singular) sun that he could have gotten a tan if he wanted to. I imagine the monsoon was either for the sake of his progeny or else because he still wasn't very fond of daylight.

Oh, and the spirit nukes also FUBAR'ed the Wraith setting all to hell.

Ravnos was literally The Rakshasa so I suspect even if he was tough enough to be chill standing in normal sunlight he didn't particularly WANT to be doing that.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

OnyxRaven posted:

Female Venture.

Might as well go all the way and call her Dean now. If the voting was still going, that is.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MJ12 posted:

Mage stuff

:awesome:

I seriously wish I could find a new RP group. I enjoy Cyberpunk 2020 and D&D in all its flavours as much as the next neckbeard, but some times, you just wanna play something that's equal parts Stargate SG-1, Cthulutech, X-Com and Clive Barker.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

We've seen some very important characters in this update, I'll only shine a light on two of them, for now.

Meet the Camarilla Prince of Los Angeles, Sebastian LaCroix.

He is voiced by Andy Milder

Listen:

You could probably tell from the way he wouldn't stop talking about laws, rules, code, and tradition, but LaCroix is a Ventrue. Born in Calais, France, LaCroix ascended in the ranks of Napoleon's army until, presumably in his early twenties, he was embraced by a Belgian Ventrue nobleman. He climbed through the Camarilla's ranks, having several charges in France and England before becoming Prince in Los Angeles in 2004. He is head of the LaCroix Foundation, and resides in the Venture Tower in downtown Los Angeles, commanding the city from his penthouse office.

What does it mean do be "prince"? Every city controlled by the Camarilla has one, it's essentialy the top poisition in a hierarchy of power. I'll let Vic explain things further:

Vicissitude posted:

The Camarilla has a number of positions of authority. Ostensibly, supreme power in any given city under Cam control is given to the Prince. This is a formal title for either gender, though some come up with their own fancy monikers for the position. The Prince can, and often does, lay down the law for their territory. Some are lenient, others are tyrannical. But it all comes down to the Prince and the city. New York, for instance, was under Sabbat control for a very, very long time. The Camarilla wrested control from them in 1999, but they've had to be extremely vigilant every since, and very strict when it comes to law enforcement.

Behind (occasionally), beside (usually), or (very rarely) above the Prince is the Council of Primogen. This is a group of advisers, each representative of a clan or group in the city. Usually, individuals on the council are members of the clan or group they represent, but in some cases, a better allied spokesman/woman can be found. As advisers do, they advise the prince on the state of his/her territory. Usually it's for the better good, but there's always a certain amount of political maneuvering going on. Sometimes the Ventrue want to push into Toreador holdings to buy them out, the Malkavians have some bizarre plan that they believe will benefit all, and of course the Nosferatu have information they can trade for a small favor somewhere down the road...

The next step up is the Justicar. As the Primogen do in a single city, the Justicars represent their entire Clan in Camarilla politics. From night to night, they generally go about Cam territory to address issues that have arisen in the interest of the health of the Sect. But since they represent their clan as well as the sect, they usually bend their ears in that direction as issues come up.

The Justicars are the public face of the Inner Circle, the mysterious elders who actually run the sect and choose the course of its actions. Little is known about them, except that they meet every 13 years.

There are other positions of authority, but I'll go over them as we meet them. One, we've already met, but we'll see how he rolls in just a bit. :shh:

There is also someone whom we know as Mr. Rodriguez.

I'll do a more in-depth look at him later. For now, all we need to focus on is that we were saved from execution by his actions. Did it have something to do with us? Was he upset at seeing a fellow Kindred executed? Or does it have to do with something else, something political in nature?

Answers will have to wait until the next part.

gatz fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 17, 2014

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

The Camarilla has a number of positions of authority. Ostensibly, supreme power in any given city under Cam control is given to the Prince. This is a formal title for either gender, though some come up with their own fancy monikers for the position. The Prince can, and often does, lay down the law for their territory. Some are lenient, others are tyrannical. But it all comes down to the Prince and the city. New York, for instance, was under Sabbat control for a very, very long time. The Camarilla wrested control from them in 1999, but they've had to be extremely vigilant every since, and very strict when it comes to law enforcement.

Behind (occasionally), beside (usually), or (very rarely) above the Prince is the Council of Primogen. This is a group of advisers, each representative of a clan or group in the city. Usually, individuals on the council are members of the clan or group they represent, but in some cases, a better allied spokesman/woman can be found. As advisers do, they advise the prince on the state of his/her territory. Usually it's for the better good, but there's always a certain amount of political maneuvering going on. Sometimes the Ventrue want to push into Toreador holdings to buy them out, the Malkavians have some bizarre plan that they believe will benefit all, and of course the Nosferatu have information they can trade for a small favor somewhere down the road...

The next step up is the Justicar. As the Primogen do in a single city, the Justicars represent their entire Clan in Camarilla politics. From night to night, they generally go about Cam territory to address issues that have arisen in the interest of the health of the Sect. But since they represent their clan as well as the sect, they usually bend their ears in that direction as issues come up.

The Justicars are the public face of the Inner Circle, the mysterious elders who actually run the sect and choose the course of its actions. Little is known about them, except that they meet every 13 years.

There are other positions of authority, but I'll go over them as we meet them. One, we've already met, but we'll see how he rolls in just a bit. :shh:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Gangrel abilities are pretty useful, but I don't think they get any unique dialog at all.

Beckett and Bertram

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Too bad I missed the voting but no problem. This takes me back because my first (of many) playthroughs was male Venture. This should be fun. A gatz LP with lots of oWoD infodumps. :allears:

Vicissitude posted:

New York, for instance, was under Sabbat control for a very, very long time.

Wasn't Mexico City a big Sabbat hangout in one of the sourcebooks? You'd think the hidden world wouldn't stay hidden for long with those lunatics running the asylum.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Can I ask the thread a question? Do people prefer 1024x768 or 800x600 screenshot size?

By the way, the majority of the lp will not be in that comic book style. Just the cutscenes.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wasn't Mexico City a big Sabbat hangout in one of the sourcebooks? You'd think the hidden world wouldn't stay hidden for long with those lunatics running the asylum.

Uh, Mexico City is THE Sabbat hangout in the wWoD. The only place of more political importance was in Spain, and that tanked with the death of Cardinal Moncada at the hands of his childe, Lucita.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

Can I ask the thread a question? Do people prefer 1024x768 or 800x600 screenshot size?

800x600 is probably large enough, especially if there are a lot of images all at once as in the last update.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

gatz posted:

800x600 would be nice, yeah. I'm already sold with the comic cutscenes, that's neat as hell.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

tlarn posted:

800x600 would be nice, yeah. I'm already sold with the comic cutscenes, that's neat as hell.

Agreed.

Only think I'd ask for is maybe borders on the images with black background to help seperate them, but it's a nitpicky thing. I loved it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Too bad I missed the voting but no problem. This takes me back because my first (of many) playthroughs was male Venture. This should be fun. A gatz LP with lots of oWoD infodumps. :allears:

The Sabbat tend not to leave any witnesses is the thing. Mounds of corpses yes, but nobody who can actually say 'gently caress, a vampire'.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
800x600 will be less likely to break my tables when phone browsing.

Feinne posted:

The Sabbat tend not to leave any witnesses is the thing. Mounds of corpses yes, but nobody who can actually say 'gently caress, a vampire'.

I completely failed to consider this!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Two things I noticed this time that I hadn't noticed on my playthroughs.

Your sire looks like the Prince; is this significant?

They bust down the door as soon as you're Embraced; this has to be significant.
They knew this was going to happen, which also indicates your Embrace was preplanned, or predictable; either way, it was probably allowed to happen. Planned for, even.
Which makes' the Prince's bit of back and forth theatre with Rodriguez seem...deliberate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

I think it's the male Ventrue player character model. IIRC you just get the opposite sex player model for whichever clan you chose.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Vicissitude posted:

Uh, Mexico City is THE Sabbat hangout in the wWoD. The only place of more political importance was in Spain, and that tanked with the death of Cardinal Moncada at the hands of his childe, Lucita.

That sounds like a pretty good story there. Care to elaborate?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Feinne posted:

They also choose their feeding grounds with care. For as much as they posture about deserving to rule the kine, the higher-ups are still well aware of mortal hunters, both the sourcebook-capitalized sort and the regular secret society groups whose members wield True Faith.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Two things I noticed this time that I hadn't noticed on my playthroughs.

They bust down the door as soon as you're Embraced; this has to be significant.
They knew this was going to happen, which also indicates your Embrace was preplanned, or predictable; either way, it was probably allowed to happen. Planned for, even.
Which makes' the Prince's bit of back and forth theatre with Rodriguez seem...deliberate.

As someone else noted, the sire's model is just the male Ventrue model, and I don't think they busted in as soon as you were embraced. I'm not too up to date on my oWoD lore, but it looks like there was a decent amount of time between the embrace and the PC waking up and getting staked. The Sire was sitting on the other side of the room and there was a fade to black after the 'I want to show you something' line and the PC screaming, which is presumably the Embrace.

But you're right in that the Prince was most likely looking for a reason to hold and execution and make himself look like the impartial arbiter of law and justice in the community. But if you take one of the later character's lines as truth, and I really don't see why you wouldn't trust him, the Prince had to improvise after Nines called him out.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
It always amused me how much the theater thing looks like a Vampire LARP session, with the need to underline all the different clans emotionals and visuals differences :drac:

I must say I usually dislike narrative LPs, but I'm really liking the medium used in this LP.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 13, 2013

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like the comic book style for the cutscenes, especially how you add narration over the nonverbal parts. I also like how the theater is used to introduce most of the main cast of the game as well as show how LaCroix behaves in public onstage with grand gestures but when he's backstage talking to you he's more direct at what he wants done.

If you're still taking names for the character, I'm hoping for something like showy like Selene or Chantal because the Ventrue look like they're the clan that resembles Twilight vampires the most (save for the Toreadors, of course).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So if the Prince really did extemp this whole thing, I guess checking up on Mercutio was just some random bit of unimportant scutwork he fobbed off on us?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

gatz posted:

By the way, the majority of the lp will not be in that comic book style. Just the cutscenes.

Which makes coming over the feeling that it feels like gmod comic a lot easier. No offence meant of course.
It's just something about that font that makes me think that.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I too like the comic style, I wasn't sold on the idea of a screenshot LP for this game, but it seems to work well.

Also, this game was my introduction to WoD, and I played as a Malk. Every time. I started play throughs with other clans, but lost interest quickly. Unfortunately, I have never finished this game. I loved being able to sneak your way through in the first bits if you, like me, don't want to fight everyone and everything, unfortunately as the game progressed I feel your alternatives were limited for each big "end of the chapter" thing. And, eventually, at the end, in two of my play through a my character build made it close to, if not actually impossible to beat the end stage, in the third, actually making a character build to avoid that, I didn't manage to get past another point of the end game.

What I'm trying to say is, I really hope to see this story completed.

Oh, and on my later playthroughs, I was actually amused by how much the theatre was like the room we used as a council chamber in my VtM LARP. We had a stage too, and the groupings and different stances of the characters are just so alike. Also, few people in a large room. I almost feel they did it on purpose.

Actually, wouldn't there be more people in the room? I mean, the city is huge, and I feel like the prince would make presence mandatory for something like this. And ignoring summons, even if you don't count yourself as Camarilla is very very stupid. I feel like there would be people attending just to stay out of trouble.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Sinner Sandwich posted:

As someone else noted, the sire's model is just the male Ventrue model, and I don't think they busted in as soon as you were embraced. I'm not too up to date on my oWoD lore, but it looks like there was a decent amount of time between the embrace and the PC waking up and getting staked. The Sire was sitting on the other side of the room and there was a fade to black after the 'I want to show you something' line and the PC screaming, which is presumably the Embrace.

But you're right in that the Prince was most likely looking for a reason to hold and execution and make himself look like the impartial arbiter of law and justice in the community. But if you take one of the later character's lines as truth, and I really don't see why you wouldn't trust him, the Prince had to improvise after Nines called him out.
Even so, it looks like the same night.
It's been a while, is there some kind of signal that goes out when someone is Embraced, so that everyone knows what's happened.

Okay, I can see the Prince's angle in this. He wants to get rid of a rival (possibly, assuming your sire was someone of consequence), assert his authority and foil rival factions, possibly get himself a new catspaw without having to Embrace someone.

But what about your sire? What was their angle? Were they just someone else's pawn or ally?
What was the plan, assuming you didn't have the Prince's men listening at the door? Pass you around a bit to try and launder you? Keep you secret and train you in the ways of Mary Sue to be their vampire?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rockopolis posted:

But what about your sire? What was their angle? Were they just someone else's pawn or ally?
What was the plan, assuming you didn't have the Prince's men listening at the door? Pass you around a bit to try and launder you? Keep you secret and train you in the ways of Mary Sue to be their vampire?

I'd be surprised if the sire wasn't somebody's pawn, what with this game having politics out the rear end from the get-go (and it only gets worse from there - and I mean "worse" sarcastically). It's just a matter of figuring out exactly who it was (if not that guy that can be the solution to any question you might have regarding the plotline).

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Wait, it was that guy? I would have guessed that guy, or even that guy, but not that guy.

More seriously, I wonder if your sire knew what was going to happen, if they were deliberately sacrificed, or if their plan got leaked accidentally.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

So if the Prince really did extemp this whole thing, I guess checking up on Mercutio was just some random bit of unimportant scutwork he fobbed off on us?

I've always assumed it was just something he had on his to-do list and if the player hadn't come along it would have been someone else sent to do it. That just happened to be a thing that he figured was probably simple enough for the new guy to do.

Thesaya posted:

Also, this game was my introduction to WoD, and I played as a Malk. Every time. I started play throughs with other clans, but lost interest quickly. Unfortunately, I have never finished this game. I loved being able to sneak your way through in the first bits if you, like me, don't want to fight everyone and everything, unfortunately as the game progressed I feel your alternatives were limited for each big "end of the chapter" thing. And, eventually, at the end, in two of my play through a my character build made it close to, if not actually impossible to beat the end stage, in the third, actually making a character build to avoid that, I didn't manage to get past another point of the end game.

I only managed to finish the game by playing as a Gangrel (for the insane combat advantage), using the mod that lets you force other vampires to join you (so I could use other powers when appropriate) and in the final boss fight just god moding because gently caress that, that was way too hard.

Rockopolis posted:

Okay, I can see the Prince's angle in this. He wants to get rid of a rival (possibly, assuming your sire was someone of consequence), assert his authority and foil rival factions, possibly get himself a new catspaw without having to Embrace someone.

Given that no one ever mentions your sire after the execution, I've assumed they were just some dipshit who decided to make a new vampire without permission and not part of anyone's plans. I may have missed something though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rockopolis posted:

Wait, it was that guy? I would have guessed that guy, or even that guy, but not that guy.

More seriously, I wonder if your sire knew what was going to happen, if they were deliberately sacrificed, or if their plan got leaked accidentally.

Pretty sure it wasn't any kind of plan, which is the entire point. It was an impulse action and ultimately a fatal one.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Vander posted:

That sounds like a pretty good story there. Care to elaborate?

Not much to elaborate on. Lucita hated him, and he was a very powerful political animal. While a Sabbat Bishop is the equivalent to a Camarilla Prince, a Cardinal is sort of between a Prince and a Justicar. They control entire regions, though generally not entire countries or continents. I think Moncada was an exception, and his control was largely over most of Spain and Portugal. There were other Bishops below him, but he was pretty much the one in charge.

Anyway, Lucita killed him, with the aid of her on-again, off-again lover, the Assamite Fatima al-Faquadi. The Sabbat was quite pissed at her for a while, putting bounties on her head, until a few years later when they sort of accepted she'd be a better ally than enemy (considering she's an assassin on par with Fatima). They offered her the Cardinalship she had 'vacated' in Spain. There's a novel trilogy that explains that story, whereas the actual death of Moncada happens in the 13-book Clan novel series.

I think you can get the compiled volumes online for cheap if you're interested. Some are hit or miss, but largely, they're pretty good. The Malkavian book is especially good, since it shows you how a Malk actually sees the world around him.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, I suppose there is such a thing as too much paranoia. :tinfoil:
Except when you're playing Vampire and involved the the intricate plots of centuries old vampires. :drac:

It's the timing that bugs me, that the brute squad kicks down the door before you even have time to get up.

I assume your sire didn't go around trumpeting their intention to illegally sire someone.
I guess the prince was having the rookie vamp followed, for just such a contingency.

So who was your sire's sire? Progeny seem to be quite an investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

It's the timing that bugs me, that the brute squad kicks down the door before you even have time to get up.

I guess some vampires just get their kicks by following other vampires around and listening to them having sex with randos. :stare:

• Locked thread