Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Go to SoE live. Get drunk with devs. Get a custom title.

It really was a good time. Super nerdy, but fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
How's transmuting for making plats these days? Is it worth leveling it up just to sell manas or the legendary chunks, whatever they were called?

Noticed that "rare" harvested things still sell surprisingly well considering how utterly non-rare they are after you take the appropriate harvesting AA to get them. Harvested around 15 minutes to get a T9 diamond for one of my skills and sold leftovers from that trip for almost 50p.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Sarah posted:

Go to SoE live. Get drunk with devs. Get a custom title.

It really was a good time. Super nerdy, but fun.

One of my friends went to SoE Live. I think she dressed up as Quellious or something, idk. It sounded really fun.

Also for all the poo poo with give SoE, you know what? Their expansion bundling has been pretty good over the years. It was much easier to get friends into EQ2 back in the day when I could go 'yo if you buy this box you get THE ENTIRE GAME and you don't have to go back and individually buy the base game, expansion 1, expansion 2, etc.'

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tsurupettan posted:

One of my friends went to SoE Live. I think she dressed up as Quellious or something, idk. It sounded really fun.

Also for all the poo poo with give SoE, you know what? Their expansion bundling has been pretty good over the years. It was much easier to get friends into EQ2 back in the day when I could go 'yo if you buy this box you get THE ENTIRE GAME and you don't have to go back and individually buy the base game, expansion 1, expansion 2, etc.'

The Altar of Malice expansion bundling is actually what's got me interested in coming back. I'm two expansions behind and AoM is coming with CoE and ToV!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Have the limitations to AA you can allocate been lifted? I was under the impression 100 AA is max you can spend before level 50, and some googling for obsolete information seems to confirm that. However, I just placed the 102nd AA on my 23 SK. Are the caps completely gone or just raised?

edit*
Zam wiki had more updated informations. Seems it was recently changed.

quote:

Alternate Advancement Spending Limits

Although you can earn an unlimited amount of Alternate Advancement points (up to whatever your account allows, which varies with expansion purchased), you can only spend so many AA points. With the April 8, 2014 patch the hard cap on AA is 350, but the a character must be level 95 to earn the last 10 [1]

Here are the limits:

Levels 10-69: 50 in Class Tree, 50 in Subclass Tree, 60 in Shadows (160 total)
Levels 70-80: 70 in Class Tree, 70 in Subclass Tree, 60 in Shadows (200 total)
Levels 81-90: 100 in Class Tree, 100 in Subclass Tree, 70 in Shadows, 50 in Heroic (300 total)

Because you can only spend 160 AA total below level 70, it is impossible for someone below level 70 to purchase the Shadows Subclass abilities.

The Sentinel's Fate AAs are completely unavailable to anyone below level 81.

Although it would imply you can spend a total of 270 AAs at levels 81-90, the overall hard cap on AAs is 350. You will need to spend wisely!

That is still not entirely correct though, I currently have nearly 80 points in Crusader (the class) tree.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 9, 2014

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'm DLing the game as I type. I'm going to give this try as a free player for a while, and maybe subscribe later.

What are the good solo classes for mid and/or late game? Melee preferred. I'm familiar with the EQ1 classes after playing that game for a decade, but obviously I don't expect the EQ2 counterparts to play exactly the same way.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I'm DLing the game as I type. I'm going to give this try as a free player for a while, and maybe subscribe later.

What are the good solo classes for mid and/or late game? Melee preferred. I'm familiar with the EQ1 classes after playing that game for a decade, but obviously I don't expect the EQ2 counterparts to play exactly the same way.

With mercs anything can solo decently. It mostly comes down to your playstyle. I still wouldn't take a bard as solo char though, too low damage. I suppose the correct term to use would be "molo" for soloing with merc, but using it feels kinda dumb since it's finnish slang for cock (not the bird kind) :v:

I got a brigand that solos like a champ, but he has so much positionals that when I dusted off my SK, it just felt so much nicer not having to stun and bounce around that I started playing mainly him again. If I hadn't gone with my old SK, zerker would've made good alternative. Both are very survivable and both got some good aoe.

Don't rush to end game though, the game has shitloads and shitloads of low and middle level dungeons that are more fun in my opinion. A large amount of the 90+ dungeon bosses have some bullshit "click here, click there, do that, do this" gimmicks that make them much harder to go at alone, while lower and mid levels it mostly comes down to good old tank and spank.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Swash always swash, chain up some walk the planks and stuns and you rarely get touched*

*4 years ago

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Patchwork Shaman posted:

Inquisitor and Warden can be turned into melee after about level 15. They're both fun and strong as h*ck.

I have been leveling a beastlord and just hit 32. :catstare: I don't think I can go back to any other melee class, the feral / savagery bar is just too much fun. Haven't unlocked enough spiritual abilities to really hit the good survivability yet, though.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 11, 2014

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Inquisitor and Warden can be turned into melee after about level 15. They're both fun and strong as h*ck.

Mystic as well!

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I've been addicted to this for the past few weeks. I'd played it before and I was mystified to find my only 2 characters were, like, 10 and 1 when I knew I'd played up to about 40 or so but I thought I'd deleted them for space when it went ftp or whatever. After I'd levelled 2 characters to, again, 40ish I found out that you can switch server region on the loving launcher and my characters were all there on a different frigging server ffs. No notification or nothing, how idiotic that they don't show up grrr.

Best new thing, without a doubt, is the merc because it takes any old school class and makes it a pet class so my coercer is an absolute bitch. I play mmos like single player rpgs with an economy so this is like heaven to me.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Chanters are getting some serious love in the next xpac.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

After seeing this thread I decided to download this game and play for the first time in something like 6 to 7 years.

Logged on and found a 10 year loyalty reward...

Anyway since my old main was a Dirge on another server which I have no idear how to play so I decided to make an Inquisitor on AB called Sardikar, I gather there is a Goon guild on AB so I was wondering if its posible to get an invite or if someone can please let me know who to annoy please to get invited?

Also what's the guild called?...

Cheers!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
It's Ye Olde Goone Squade. Send a tell to me, Margaritas if you want in the guild. It's pretty dead. If you behave you can come to Heaven and Earth and be ranked friend. Tons of people on at max level, love grouping in ToV.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Double xp weekend coming right up so does anyone know a nice place to go from 50 to 60? Preferably instanced because I guess there might actually be people in the zones on 2x days. This is the highest level I've been so I have no idea where's good.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I follow this for zones: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeon_Timeline

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Wretched motherfuckers.

Double exp weekend. Wasteland 2 release. Age of Wonders 3 expansion release. All on the same weekend :negative:

I just might compromise and spend next couple days in an indecisive paralysis.

Dar
Oct 22, 2000
I'm thinking of starting a fresh character for the new expansion on AB, anyone else planning on doing so interested in teaming up and starting from scratch?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dar posted:

I'm thinking of starting a fresh character for the new expansion on AB, anyone else planning on doing so interested in teaming up and starting from scratch?

I would if I had the time to but I barely get 2 or 3h an evening at the moment. Or what sort of timetable did you have in mind?

I got my 10 year old 'created on launch day' to L90 today, that's the pinnacle of my EQ2 achievements. I was struggling on the L90 mobs till I went and bought some gear off the broker, the difference it makes is phenomenal. If I knuckle down for another couple of hours I should get 91 in the bag.

Dar
Oct 22, 2000

Ratzap posted:

I would if I had the time to but I barely get 2 or 3h an evening at the moment. Or what sort of timetable did you have in mind?

I got my 10 year old 'created on launch day' to L90 today, that's the pinnacle of my EQ2 achievements. I was struggling on the L90 mobs till I went and bought some gear off the broker, the difference it makes is phenomenal. If I knuckle down for another couple of hours I should get 91 in the bag.

I'm not sure. I don't intend to rush through the game at all but getting to level 90 probably won't take me ten years either.

dorijan
Apr 24, 2011
sleepy
I've logged into my EQ2 account today for the first time in 9 months to find an abandoned goon guild on Antonia Bayle. Did everyone migrate to a different guild or what's the deal?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
It's pretty dead. I've been leveling up a friend's guild with my team.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've got my necromancer to 92 now and I have another account with all access. What would make an effective 2 box addition? Some kind of tank with a healer merc? The reasoning being that you'd want to fully control the tank and add firepower with hotkeys on the 2nd box right?
Or not bother boxing and look for a guild?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Not sure why you would box in EQ2, if anything it would take more time to do things as you would be distracted by having to manage 2 characters.
Even healers easily breeze through all content up to level 95.

EDIT: All quest content

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 12, 2014

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ineptitude posted:

Not sure why you would box in EQ2, if anything it would take more time to do things as you would be distracted by having to manage 2 characters.
Even healers easily breeze through all content up to level 95.

EDIT: All quest content

So the last option, don't bother. I've not tried grinding through dungeons hence the question, if quest leveling is as good then yeah, no need.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Ratzap posted:

So the last option, don't bother. I've not tried grinding through dungeons hence the question, if quest leveling is as good then yeah, no need.

Questing was more than good enough for me, but i enjoy that kind of playstyle. I also like the added bonus of getting AA from completing quests. Questing also naturally sees you through most of a zone so you happen to come across the various nameds for extra AA and potentially good loot.
You really need to subscribe though, so you can set your xp/aa slider to 100% xp, otherwise you will run out of quests and be capped on AA long before 95. (when i hit 95 i had 337 AA, this was from leveling a heroic character i.e. level 85 and 280 AA, and having vitality from the veteran reward the whole time)

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Boxing is fun. Especially if you want to do content and not share the loot. :cawg:

Speaking of that, anyone who is max level and wants some gear, I have no problem with dropping a character to drag you along.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I made a froggy paladin on the other account (I've meant to try that combo out since it was introduced in EQ1) but since my necro is making about 150k exp a night going through withered lands at the moment, it may be some time till I get round to leveling it.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
How solo/newbie friendly is EQ2 these days? Since it went F2P and it's one of the only MMO's I've never really tried I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a shot, since there's really nothing to lose. Though on that note, I remember The Old Republic's F2P was one giant middle finger to anybody who didn't spend at least a little bit of money, so is there anything especially worth paying for even if I'm not coughing up the monthly fee?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Inverted Sphere posted:

How solo/newbie friendly is EQ2 these days?

Group content up to level 90 is quite soloable...

Inverted Sphere posted:

so is there anything especially worth paying for even if I'm not coughing up the monthly fee?

...as long as you cough up the money to unlock mercenaries. Or well, a lot of it is soloable even without merc, as long as you get your AA up.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Inverted Sphere posted:

How solo/newbie friendly is EQ2 these days? Since it went F2P and it's one of the only MMO's I've never really tried I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a shot, since there's really nothing to lose. Though on that note, I remember The Old Republic's F2P was one giant middle finger to anybody who didn't spend at least a little bit of money, so is there anything especially worth paying for even if I'm not coughing up the monthly fee?

Pay enough to at least get to silver and depending on your class unlock mercs. I came back to the game with a L20 char and solo'd it to L92 without any problems. Some of the heroic multi ^ things are way off in how they con vs fight (in both directions) but kill up to triples no great trouble. I have a merc but I barely ever need to pull it out and use it, YMMV.
The other nice thing from paying is you get to control the exp to AA slider.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
By the way, Beta is public. If you want to know how any class of max character feels, you can beta buff up to 100 with max AA.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sarah posted:

By the way, Beta is public. If you want to know how any class of max character feels, you can beta buff up to 100 with max AA.

Thanks, I'll probably check it out. This is how I play EQ2 now. When there's a new test I just transfer and max out Ogglor and play the new stuff and then hide again for another year. :)

Free to Test :D

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Are there any projects out there like project 1999 for eq2? I remember how broken the game was at launch, but I think I'd enjoy it more than the dungeon slog we have today.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If there was to be something like project 1999 I think at Echoes of Faydwer would be the perfect period to set it to.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'd play EoF, KoS, RoK or SF. Those are probably the most memorable/enjoyable expansions for me.

Roehn Theer is still the best raid boss ever designed, minus his stupid bridge.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'd play the gently caress out of an EoF server.

In other news on beta, the new xpac is alright. It's way better imo than the last two zones they poo poo out. The new creature designs seem decent too. It's probably not enough content to bring me back like EoF or Kunark, but at least they appear to be trying. The new race is locked for me, but they are essentially just giant Fae/Arasi, people with wings.

Hey Sarah, I've only see the Tranquil Sea; how do you get to the Phantom Sea?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Fly north until you zone.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Those tricky bastards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

joshtothemaxx posted:

Are there any projects out there like project 1999 for eq2? I remember how broken the game was at launch, but I think I'd enjoy it more than the dungeon slog we have today.

Is it really a dungeon slog now? I might have to come play a bit if it is, I love dungeons. Haven't played seriously in a looooong time, but since EQ1's busy hoping to just be buried quietly while the devs insist on beating the corpse with shovels, might have to give this a try again

• Locked thread