Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's time for them to either massively overhaul the game or just shut it down. It was useful as a free xl farmer for tanks, but now that matches are pretty much 10-15 minutes invested in just waiting, it's worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This game's mostly pretty dead, but using twin engines to run over and enrage pubbies is pretty fun thanks to the new ramming mechanics.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I tried playing last night for the first time since around launch and had no problem finding (small) matchs at lower tiers. Unfortunately, I also had no problem finding ground-attacking heavy fighters.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Actually that's a good thing, they're like free bags of XP when they do that.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Unless they're on my team, in which case they engender cold and uncomfortable feelings in me.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So apparently war gaming did something to Planes when I wasn't paying attention, but amazingly enough I'm having fun in the game.

- Matchmaker has gotten a lot better. About 4 months ago, I tried playing and found wait times of between 5 to 10 minutes for matches, if they didn't just time out and boot me back to hanger. As lazyhound noticed, the MM now selects for smaller match sizes if no other players are around. It's not uncommon to see between 3v3 to 6v6 matches, but they load in fast with less than a minute of wait.

- The games are fairly balanced. While the occasional 3 GA flight will develop into a wonky game, most of the time it's a good mix of plane types spread evenly across acceptable tiers.

- It seems less grindy. They have some pretty good weekend specials with improved xp generation for both planes and crews. I don't feel "stuck" in a plane as much as I had.

- The pubs here seem somehow better than tank pubs. I see very few suicide rams anymore, and while there is the occasional dipshit, the overall player quality feels higher. I don't notice evaporating team syndrome as much as in tanks. It still happens once or twice a night, but not every other game.

- I think they did some work with joystick optimization. When I switched to a joystick last year, it felt like I was being punished for not using a mouse. Now it feels a lot more responsive, with gunnery being improved and evasive maneuvers easier to pull off.

- Ground attack has been made more challenging. Last time I played GA in earnest, it was just a cheap way to farm free xp for tanks. Didn't even really have to aim, just point the plane in the general direction as a ground target and mash the trigger. Now ground targets are actual point targets instead of area targets with one "target" being made up of many ground objects (like tanks, or bunkers, or even subsystems on a warship." A lone GA can't also run away with the match by superiority like they used to. Ground targets now also have varying levels of armor, which makes them less attractive targets to light fighters, so the incidences of seeing ground strafing BF 109s has gone down. There are still the occasional multiple fighters and heavy fighters that load a couple bombs and try to drop them before dogfighting. That usually ends poorly.

And by and large the game seems to be developing its own player base outside of tanks, which is a good thing. I see very few tank clan tags, and the player base is small enough for players to recognize one another across multiple battles. I think this is probably a good thing, in the long run. The cross-game promos war gaming does seems to have bring over the riff raff more than the good players, so anyone trying to get a feel of the game is going to have to slog through playing with a bunch of bads.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what were the player numbers like? hundreds or did it raise over :eyepop: a thousand :eyepop: ?

I'm kind of missing a plane game nowadays outside of WT

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

what were the player numbers like? hundreds or did it raise over :eyepop: a thousand :eyepop: ?

I'm kind of missing a plane game nowadays outside of WT

600 to 1100, with about 700 as a median seems to be the usual number.

edit: and I just can't be assed to download war thunder. I've heard it's a good game, but it sounds like just another variation on the same theme. I'm not sinking more money/time into another one of these sorts of games unless it's loving spectacular.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
War Thunder is loving spectacular. Hth.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

War Thunder is pretty cool if you want a point and click flight game for mouse play or a grognard bait simmy thing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, War Thunder is cool in the sense that you can play a variety of different game modes without switching clients, so it's many games in one in a sense :v: It's not as grindy, but even Arcade mode isn't as arcade as WoWP, in case you were looking for a hitpoint system and stuff.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

xthetenth posted:

War Thunder is pretty cool if you want a point and click flight game for mouse play or a grognard bait simmy thing.

So what does WoWP offer?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

So what does WoWP offer?

An arcadey mode designed to be arcadey with non-castrated joystick controls, hitpoints rather than the effective randomness of hitbox modeling of hitboxes far smaller than you can meaningfully aim for, and a setup without respawns continually diving on you once you lose energy and boom and zoomers hitting unreachable heights that can murder spawners.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

xthetenth posted:

An arcadey mode designed to be arcadey with non-castrated joystick controls, hitpoints rather than the effective randomness of hitbox modeling of hitboxes far smaller than you can meaningfully aim for, and a setup without respawns continually diving on you once you lose energy and boom and zoomers hitting unreachable heights that can murder spawners.

Hahaha ok. Also lol any arcade player who actually plays as an untouchable BnZ is basically hurting their team because arcade is objective based rather than kill based.

Excessive dive angle!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Hahaha ok. Also lol any arcade player who actually plays as an untouchable BnZ is basically hurting their team because arcade is objective based rather than kill based.

Excessive dive angle!

It's more that getting spawn camped sucks irredeemable amounts of rear end then whether it's particularly effective.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That's only really a thing in Arcade, luckily.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

That's only really a thing in Arcade, luckily.

I don't play a lot of arcade any more, but about the only time I saw that done effectively was when I was the one doing it.

As for the rest, hitpoints are awful, and it's pretty easy to aim at components, especially if you use mouse-aim, the proper control scheme for arcade and RB. It can be a little rough to aim at components on a fighter from long range, but at close range it's no issue, and at long range versus larger aircraft like heavy fighters and bombers, it's not only possible, it's just required to be a decent player at all. But the game has super smooth aiming and a zoom in button, so it's a non-issue except for those who insist on playing a cartoony arcade game and then using a spergy controller setup like joystick/pedals.

aiming at components with AAA vehicles is fun.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Weltlich posted:

- It seems less grindy. They have some pretty good weekend specials with improved xp generation for both planes and crews. I don't feel "stuck" in a plane as much as I had.

- The pubs here seem somehow better than tank pubs. I see very few suicide rams anymore, and while there is the occasional dipshit, the overall player quality feels higher. I don't notice evaporating team syndrome as much as in tanks. It still happens once or twice a night, but not every other game.

These were the things that made me quit. After a few days repeatedly having matches where I kill 4 to 6 of the opposition planes and we still get stomped made me just delete it in frustration. The first 2 minutes were so awful each match as the AFKs on both side fly straight ahead, idiots ramming them - a rain of discarded plane parts fluttering to the ground. Maybe they decided the game wasn't worth AFKing in? Or maybe the EU server is still as awful as it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

xthetenth posted:

An arcadey mode designed to be arcadey with non-castrated joystick controls, hitpoints rather than the effective randomness of hitbox modeling of hitboxes far smaller than you can meaningfully aim for

These are not unique to this game at all and really exist in every major active airplane simulator cartoon videogame right now from WoWP to War Thunder to DCS/Battle of Stalingrad. I can't really hate on chaotic respawns in a mode intended to be pure action because it keeps a furball going and altitude advantages aren't such a big deal with that many planes involved... especially where there are no real speed limits that cause your plane to fall apart in the air.

That said, I personally prefer the more "sim" side of games like this because when players kill each other it kind of makes more sense and you see less of the BS spawn killing though things like strafing an enemy airfield are always gonna be an inherent part of it if landing is ever an option.

Thief fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 20, 2015

• Locked thread