Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Feindfeuer posted:

I don't know what the current concensus is, but I enjoy both titles. I play both with mouse/keyboard though. But that seems to be the superior choice in both titles anyway unless you go FRB in WT.

Also having a BF 110 punch you with its wings is probably the nicest thing it can do to you if you try a head-on against a heavy fighter, unless you are yourself flying one.

Joystick for life in this one :colbert:. It's pretty awesome if you get the curves figured out. Of the super good players whose controller I know, one runs an xbox controller, two run keyboard/mouse, two or three run joysticks, and one or two run straight keyboard (yes really). A lot of folks have problems with shooting with a stick-based controller though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Any thoughts on how they'll expand the current trees, by the way? You know, German ground-attack planes, Russian heavy fighters, et cetera. I mean, I had a look at historical examples, and the Japanese design theme for GA seems... interesting :stare:.

On the plus side, they'd make the ideal pubbie planes.

I expect there will probably be a US heavy fighter tree with stuff like the YFM-1 Airacuda (A mid-30s twin-engine "bomber hunter" with a 37mm turret mounted forward of each pusher engine), P-38 Lightning, XP-58 Chain Lightning, and the P-61 Black Widow.

I think there's probably also enough aircraft for a ground attack tree, you could start out with dive bombers, have the SBD or SB2C for the lower tiers, and then swap over to the various twin-engine light bombers like the Invader or Mitchel.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Darth Walrus posted:

Do we know what the general restrictions are on the planes that will be included in this game, by the way? I mean, the turret mechanic seems to allow for some pretty big aircraft without significant adjustment (and also allows for seriously weird, goofy stuff like the Blackburn Roc, which I am totally down with).
I was crushed when they removed the separate classification for naval fighters and just mashed them in with light fighters, because I was hoping against hope for the Blackburn Buccaneer as the British T10 naval fighter. Now it seems a lot less likely.

As far as trees go, I would be astonished if we don't see the Petlyakov and/or Tupolev light bombers/dive bombers/heavy fighters/whatever else they did added in for the VVS. The addition of MiG fighters at some point is likely; since the Soviets lack a high-altitude fighter, we might see the MiG-3 fill that role, though I don't know how they would connect between that thing and the MiG jets. We're still missing the majority of Polikarpov's designs, with room for the Chaika, I-180, and I-185 still there, let alone the paper developments like I-187/188.

For the Americans, I would expect to see maybe the Martin Bomber, definitely the A-20, maybe the Hudson as well. I don't know what they'd do for the further heavy fighters, P-38 perhaps? I can't recall offhand how agile the Lightning was IRL, but I suspect it'd be rather out of context when compared to boats like the Me410. B-25H is possible for ground attack which would be loving hilarious and probably broken as poo poo.

Japan has a lot of planes missing, I'd imagine the Nakajima fighters will have at least one branch of their own and later-war wonders like the Shinden Raiden may appear. For heavy fighters, there are a number of viable aircraft, they shouldn't have too much of a hard time filling that tree.

The British are missing the entire Hawker line, which I suspect will appear later with at least the Hurricane, Typhoon, and Tempest. I think we might see the Hunter. If they hadn't tiered jets in at T8, we could have even expected the Supermarine Spiteful in there, but nope, WG are idiots.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 21, 2013

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should've drawn the line at jets really. The trees that get jets at tier 8 dominate the competition in a really horrifying way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mans posted:

They should've drawn the line at jets really. The trees that get jets at tier 8 dominate the competition in a really horrifying way.

This, really.

The power of being able to hand-pick your engagements and then extend and escape, where not even other jets can really stand a chance of catching you without spending the entire match trying is game-breaking in this game. Add to the fact that the game has "golden BB" protection in the form of medkits, engine restarters, and fire extinguishers, and you don't even have the "biplane killing a jet" chance you do in War Thunder.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The problem with jets is that they are all boom and zoom. The problem with jets is the problem with boom and zoom. Actually the problem with higher tier planes is the problem with boom and zoom as well. If they cut the ability to just go see ya and zoom away without careful energy management a lot of things would improve nearly instantly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

xthetenth posted:

The problem with jets is that they are all boom and zoom. The problem with jets is the problem with boom and zoom. Actually the problem with higher tier planes is the problem with boom and zoom as well. If they cut the ability to just go see ya and zoom away without careful energy management a lot of things would improve nearly instantly.

Is a lot of this just Engine Guru's fault? That skill makes such a night-and-day difference that even if Planes was a good game, I would be incredibly hesitant to bother. Grinding Sixth Sense is annoying enough and that's only 200k xp; grinding Engine Guru takes 600k+.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, boom and zooming isn't nearly as agravating in WT.

The game where you can one hit kill enemy planes has less punishing boom and zoom mechanics than an arcade game with HP.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

rossmum posted:

I was crushed when they removed the separate classification for naval fighters and just mashed them in with light fighters, because I was hoping against hope for the Blackburn Buccaneer as the British T10 naval fighter. Now it seems a lot less likely.

As far as trees go, I would be astonished if we don't see the Petlyakov and/or Tupolev light bombers/dive bombers/heavy fighters/whatever else they did added in for the VVS. The addition of MiG fighters at some point is likely; since the Soviets lack a high-altitude fighter, we might see the MiG-3 fill that role, though I don't know how they would connect between that thing and the MiG jets. We're still missing the majority of Polikarpov's designs, with room for the Chaika, I-180, and I-185 still there, let alone the paper developments like I-187/188.

For the Americans, I would expect to see maybe the Martin Bomber, definitely the A-20, maybe the Hudson as well. I don't know what they'd do for the further heavy fighters, P-38 perhaps? I can't recall offhand how agile the Lightning was IRL, but I suspect it'd be rather out of context when compared to boats like the Me410. B-25H is possible for ground attack which would be loving hilarious and probably broken as poo poo.

Japan has a lot of planes missing, I'd imagine the Nakajima fighters will have at least one branch of their own and later-war wonders like the Shinden may appear. For heavy fighters, there are a number of viable aircraft, they shouldn't have too much of a hard time filling that tree.

The British are missing the entire Hawker line, which I suspect will appear later with at least the Hurricane, Typhoon, and Tempest. I think we might see the Hunter. If they hadn't tiered jets in at T8, we could have even expected the Supermarine Spiteful in there, but nope, WG are idiots.

Hold on, doesn't the Shinden occupy Tiers 8-10 already?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mans posted:

It looks like a pretty stupid idea. Lucky for me I get bored easily, and take forever to get anywhere with MMO games so I'll never advance past tier VI with this or WoT.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

SeanBeansShako posted:

It looks like a pretty stupid idea. Lucky for me I get bored easily, and take forever to get anywhere with MMO games so I'll never advance past tier VI with this or WoT.

4 to 6 are the best fun in wot and wowp anyway. Under that are the craptastic ones and over that you start getting into super grind territory where you are getting stomped on repeatedly in the hopes of getting a 10 yourself.
Elite some 4 to 6s and just stay there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ratzap posted:

4 to 6 are the best fun in wot and wowp anyway. Under that are the craptastic ones and over that you start getting into super grind territory where you are getting stomped on repeatedly in the hopes of getting a 10 yourself.

Sounds like a plan really.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

If you haven't already gotten the Bf110C-6, I don't know what to say. The thing is more broken than the WTF E-100 from tanks. It literally oneshots I-16s and kills ground attackers in a single pass.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Can't comment on WoWP, but in WoT I strongly disagree about 4-6 being the most fun. The T-54 was my (and many others') favorite tank in the game. There's numerous T7+ fun tanks in WoT. I won't disagree that there are plenty of bad, super-grindy higher tier tanks, but there's a lot of tanks worth playing (presumably there also is in WoWP). I haven't played since the (I hear) effective arty nerfs, but I imagine the game in general got more fun for tanks of all kinds. Offhand I can think of three lines 7-10 filled with above average tanks that don't feel terribly grindy (62A, IS-7, and T110E5).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, anyone think the F2F and the next one with the tucked up landing gear is adorable?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, anyone think the F2F and the next one with the tucked up landing gear is adorable?

I might if the I-16 wasn't already at peak adorability. Seriously, it's basically a murderous Soviet Gee Bee.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not only cute they're also pretty decent for their tier.

bUm posted:

Can't comment on WoWP, but in WoT I strongly disagree about 4-6 being the most fun. The T-54 was my (and many others') favorite tank in the game. There's numerous T7+ fun tanks in WoT. I won't disagree that there are plenty of bad, super-grindy higher tier tanks, but there's a lot of tanks worth playing (presumably there also is in WoWP). I haven't played since the (I hear) effective arty nerfs, but I imagine the game in general got more fun for tanks of all kinds. Offhand I can think of three lines 7-10 filled with above average tanks that don't feel terribly grindy (62A, IS-7, and T110E5).

I have played tanks since the arty patch and I have 2 t10 artillery pieces, an E5, T57 and 215b as t10 tanks (40 something vehicles in total). Tier 7 tanks are pure fodder, t8 has some reasonable fun tanks but you're still getting tossed in with 10s which are way better. I still play tanks because the mid range stuff is fun, the higher you go the more grind there is - grind is not fun. Until the HEAT nerf, 7s and 8s could still chew up incautious higher tanks but no longer. There are always exceptions but generally the mid tiers are most fun - almost any tank/plane can make a difference and still kill the highest opponents it comes up against.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I've made a start on the British heavy fighter line, and reached the Blenheim. What can I expect from here onwards?

Also hahaha holy poo poo the Bristol 146 is ugly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The previous one looks much nicer IMO. It also handles pretty well, It is my official tier III Premium.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Gotta love how pubbies say to make the russian and japanese turn fighers work you just have to stay at a low altitude, the only problem is every battle starts with people climbing so you are entirely dependent on the enemies to come down to you, and when they do it's usually after they have wiped the other dudes on your team out and will be free to go back vertical where you can't touch them.

I want to like those 2 lines but its just so reliant on the enemy being stupid that it makes me rage when I see situations where I could have smashed the enemy with an energy fighter.

Oh well, at least its just balance issues WG has to fix with this game instead of the Netcode and bugs they had all over the place with tanks.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Darth Walrus posted:

Hold on, doesn't the Shinden occupy Tiers 8-10 already?
Errr gently caress I am bad at Japanese plane names. I meant the Raiden. Kyofu could work too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just got one, and i was dumped in a match that was full of jets. Nice to know they haven't improved the match making.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I just got one, and i was dumped in a match that was full of jets. Nice to know they haven't improved the match making.

Wait, What?

That can't even be possible, it's a tier II.

You sure you're not thinking of the F2G?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found tier VIII in my tier V but yeah, that's too much of a gap. Tier III doesn't see above tier VI i think.

I can't loving shake Bristols and Spitfire off my rear end. They can climb, dive and turn with such ease and they have such an enormous firepower. I mean, i can't do gently caress all that these Brit pubbies do, but whenever i face off one of them they just tear me appart.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Wait, What?

That can't even be possible, it's a tier II.

You sure you're not thinking of the F2G?

Nope, there were certainly jets flying around. I'd get this once and a while in WoT where like in T4 there would be like a few t10 guys running around.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

twistedmentat posted:

Nope, there were certainly jets flying around. I'd get this once and a while in WoT where like in T4 there would be like a few t10 guys running around.

You want to screenshot and bugrep that poo poo. At no time on the EU server regardless of how few people are on do you see more than 2 tiers up. Seeing jets in a t2 should be impossible.

Apropos the Brit heavy - I got the t5 one last night. I finished the previous one with a decent win rate - it was a good plane and could handle anything bar the OP me's

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010
Everyone but one dude goes the same direction on the pacific map and I see this right after he dies:

A. Pubbie posted:

Just so you know lemmings work better in tanks

:eng99:
Without the capfast there's no reason not to all go the same direction? I can't think of a game I lost cause everyone just blobbed together. Is there some deeper tactic I'm missing?
(we won that match btw)

Kamel fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 21, 2013

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
A big blob of fighters seems to normaly win over an inferior count, so I don't see why you should not all blob together besides the increased risk of friendly rams. Like you said, it's not like anyone can cap while your blob is wandering around one flank and there is no chance a single plane can get into cover and peek a boo for a while to hold off a superior force like he could in WoT.

If anything, lemming works a lot better in WoWP than in WoT, while in WoT it relies on not encountering any resistance and therefore beeing faster than the enemies on the other flank or running into the other lemming train and defeat them. in WoWp you just win air superiority by by bringing more guns to each encounter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
A big blob also means a much higher likelihood of not only blue-on-blue rams, but cunts saying that you stole their kill.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Going in one direction on the two dimensional map is always correct. There's never a reason to split half the team east and half west. However, splitting into different altitudes is very important to give good coverage and prevent too many of the wrong kind of ram.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
So what's up with the gold spammers in game now? Two matches last night, two different shitlords spamming gold selling service. They literally wrecked from the get go of the match and the entire loving game is was their wall of text every five seconds.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

demonR6 posted:

So what's up with the gold spammers in game now? Two matches last night, two different shitlords spamming gold selling service. They literally wrecked from the get go of the match and the entire loving game is was their wall of text every five seconds.

They always flock to every new game. The only reason they're not in World of Tanks right now is because they've already realized that even dumb pubbies aren't falling for their scheme. They're probably hoping there are some new idiots to scam in Warplanes.

There's also the fact that the World of Warplanes chat is separate, and probably doesn't have the same countermeasures as tanks chat.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

demonR6 posted:

I've not seen any spammers on the EU server (long may that continue to be true). Why would anyone want to buy gold anyway or did they mean credits?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Ratzap posted:

I've not seen any spammers on the EU server (long may that continue to be true). Why would anyone want to buy gold anyway or did they mean credits?

It's definitely gold.. even the same method as other games where the post their website with the typical W W W . G O L D 4 G A M E . C O M poo poo. I am going to screen the next time I see it since there is no replay yet.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I also had a gold spammer in one of my battles earlier.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

German planes need some sort of random Hermann Göring debuff.

Also, RE the lovely sound of being hit reminds me more of somebody stabbing the ice inside a freezer.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Actually having more fun playing on weekends is really strange after coming from tanks. Its probably because the higher player pool means that every game isn't against the same dudes in a flight of the best BnZ planes and shorter que times but it still feels wierd.

And we are getting our first post release weekend event +30% bonus to credits and XP for all planes. Sounds like a good time to actually get to grinding.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Engaged a Bf 109B in my Blenheim a couple of matches ago. I was about as high as I could possibly go (higher, actually - I was a couple of hundred metres above the dark green on my altimeter), and he was slightly below me. Heavy fighter versus a single-engined plane in a high-altitude fight - easy pickings, right? So I approached, he turned to face me... and started climbing. And climbing. And climbing. Next thing I knew, he was above me, pumping cannon shells into my fuselage, and I had nowhere to go but take the long, lazy trip to the ocean floor.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Engaged a Bf 109B in my Blenheim a couple of matches ago. I was about as high as I could possibly go (higher, actually - I was a couple of hundred metres above the dark green on my altimeter), and he was slightly below me. Heavy fighter versus a single-engined plane in a high-altitude fight - easy pickings, right? So I approached, he turned to face me... and started climbing. And climbing. And climbing. Next thing I knew, he was above me, pumping cannon shells into my fuselage, and I had nowhere to go but take the long, lazy trip to the ocean floor.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

The 109s and US fighters can be scary energy combatants as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

xthetenth posted:

The 109s and US fighters can be scary energy combatants as well.

I was aware, but that scary? Whoa.

I mean, when you're in a heavy fighter a couple of hundred metres above your ceiling, you usually expect a fight to go downward.

• Locked thread