Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

:siren:GAME IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR NORTH AMERICA!!:siren:

:siren:CLICK THIS LINK TO ACCESS THE FRIEND CODE LIST! Anyone and everyone can edit the document to add their codes.:siren:

Terper posted:

Imagine a game with a refined Final Fantasy 5 battle and job system, with an aesthetic combining Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy Tactics, music composed by the same group that did the Attack on Titan openings, and imagine it portable.

Imagine Bravely Default. :allears:

Sums up the game quite nicely, I'd think! Thanks Terper.

Bravely Default is an RPG game for the Nintendo 3DS produced by the big guys from Square-Enix, borrowing traits from cult classics such as the old generation of Final Fantasy games, but most notably from Final Fantasy 5 and its job system. Combined with its stunning visuals and rich soundtrack, Bravely Default's a sure hit for gamers who want to experience an all-new portable RPG!!

The Story is quite simple at first. You gain control of Tiz, a farm boy whose entire village has succumbed from an unnatural chasm. Being the lone survivor, he embarks on a journey to find out why this disaster has happened. He shortly joins up with Agnes, a mysterious maiden and her guidance faerie Airy who are also on a journey to prevent further disasters from happening. Eventually you also meet up with Ringabel, a boy who carries a mysterious book that can predict future events, and Edea, a soldier who strives to make her father proud of her accomplishments. The story as a whole is written by the guy who also wrote for Steins;Gate.

The environments in this game are stunning. Nothing else needs to be said. Check out some comparison pictures between the old version of the game with the new version (which is the definitive version that europeans and americans will get).

The main character designs are done by Akihiko Yoshida, the guy who's art style is pretty much a staple among great video game illustrations and is renowned from his work on games such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre.

The soundtrack is composed and arranged entirely by Revo. It's… quite amazing. Have a sample from the game's start menu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoPB7YlkcM

So what's this I hear about jobs and their abilities--

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED.

Job switching and Skills are almost at the forefront during your play through. As you trudge along on your way through the game, you'll amass weird things called Asterisk which will allow you to bestow special costumes and abilities! And eventually, you might even be able to borrow certain abilities from different classes for more variety...

So what does Bravely Default mean?

The Literal, Actual Explanation of what Bravely Default means posted:

Hayashi explained in an interview that the title Bravely Default means "have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you".

Yup. It's also part of the gameplay mechanic! In battle, you have two other options to play with other than Attacking and Magic which further enhances strategy (especially during boss fights). By choosing to Brave, you lose your next turn but you gain one extra action command! By choosing Default, you guard against enemy attacks for one turn, and the next turn you will have two available actions to perform! You can do these up to three times, which means you can either lose 3 turns right off the bat to do 4 actions all at once, or you can gain 4 action commands by defending up to three times consecutively! Do you choose to blast your enemies with all you got in a single turn? Or do you choose to play conservatively? Play your cards right with certain bosses and enemies to gain the upper hand in a pinch!

If you enter a battle pre-emptively, your team will automatically gain one additional action during their turn, plus the enemy won't attack you for that one turn! If the enemy enters a battle pre-emptively, however, they each gain one additional action and can attack you without giving a chance to defend, so watch yourselves!

For the Sequel? Praying Brage??? What's this nonsense about?

Bravely Default: Flying Faerie has already been released in Japan on October 12th, 2012. A whole year has passed and a new Extended Version of the game was announced! For those (unfortunate) who have bought the Japanese game prior to the enhanced version releasing this December will have the option to purchase the extended version called (don't laugh) Bravely Default: For The Sequel. It promises all the gameplay improvements that the English version has to offer, such as battle speed-ups, side content, three save slots, refurbished equipment menus, etc. It even includes the English voice track (and vice versa for the the English release, which will also include the Japanese voice track)! For around 3,000 yen, Japanese gamers will be able to experience this game to the fullest! Again!

Praying Brage is some sort of Japanese browser game in which the story is set 200 years after Flying Faerie. It somehow connects to the 3DS by unlocking new costumes and… stuff. I'll edit this part later once I can get a hold of more info in english.

The game releases December 6th for Europe, December 7th for Australia and then February 7th for North America in 2014! There are also Deluxe Collector's Edition that includes a small art book, a sample soundtrack CD, AR cards and an Agnes figurine. The figurine is only for Europe and Australia, not for North America. :(

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

Just in case I need this post. I'll probably make a list of changes between the Original and the Enhanced versions later once the full english version is out.

Stay cool, kids.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 13, 2013

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Hell yes! I love FF5 so much, and the visuals in this game look really good. Can't wait for it to release! :D

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Posting to say the demo rules hard, it's like 5 hours long and you can carry rewards n stuff over into the main game. It's basically a mini RPG with a few dungeons and bosses, you start at level one and work your way up.

I'm also playing it on hard, which is proving to be pretty reasonable if you aren't entirely averse to grinding. I was dreading grinding like ten levels to survive the first boss' instakill aeroga, but then it turned out it wasn't immune to silence and the whole fight became trivial.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
One of NPCs in town mentions that there are special spots on the world map where you can fight unique monsters / get better rewards or something along those lines. Has anyone found one of those spots yet?

Dunban fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 13, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Amppelix posted:

Posting to say the demo rules hard, it's like 5 hours long and you can carry rewards n stuff over into the main game. It's basically a mini RPG with a few dungeons and bosses, you start at level one and work your way up.

I'm also playing it on hard, which is proving to be pretty reasonable if you aren't entirely averse to grinding. I was dreading grinding like ten levels to survive the first boss' instakill aeroga, but then it turned out it wasn't immune to silence and the whole fight became trivial.

gently caress! Had I known that, I might not have had as much trouble on the first boss as I did... :saddowns:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I think Bravely Default is more like 4 Heroes of Light than Final Fantasy 5.

It's a bit weird that you have to be friends for the the Streetpass stuff in the demo.

The AR markers are here. I can't get it to work though.

e: I was holding the 3DS too close :bang:

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 13, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

My friend says the NA deluxe version won't have the figurine. Can anyone confirm that? :(

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Tsurupettan posted:

My friend says the NA deluxe version won't have the figurine. Can anyone confirm that? :(

Based off the pictures in the NA direct, in only includes music CD, AR cards, & an artbook.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tsurupettan posted:

Yep, unless I totally missed something in the direct this morning, no figurine for NA. I think it's for the better, personally. I have enough preorder junk lying around, what am I going to do with another figurine?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ah well, I guess that'll save me some cash by skipping the bonuses. :shobon: I'm a nerd and like my figurines. Thanks guys.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

HelloWinter posted:

So what does Bravely Default mean?

The Literal, Actual Explanation of what Bravely Default means posted:

Hayashi explained in an interview that the title Bravely Default means "have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you".

In other words, it's "Don't be a sheeple, maaaaan" by way of Engrish.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

TurnipFritter posted:

Haha, fair enough. Added.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
This looks awesome but man oh man does it have a terrible title.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

"have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you".

Except the part where you need to save the world because you're the chosen kid.

For the longest time I thought the title was "Bravery Default" which doesn't make any more sense but sounds slightly cooler.

From what I saw on the Nintendo Direct, it kinda looks like FF3 (on DS) which I kinda enjoyed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Good news, then! It's way better than FF3 DS.

I'm really happy this little thing is not only getting released here, but was improved exponentially. We aren't talking minor things; they fixed nearly every complaint people had with the original.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oxyclean posted:

Except the part where you need to save the world because you're the chosen kid.

For the longest time I thought the title was "Bravery Default" which doesn't make any more sense but sounds slightly cooler.

From what I saw on the Nintendo Direct, it kinda looks like FF3 (on DS) which I kinda enjoyed.

I think it's going more along the lines of Cecil or Celes. (This should not be misconstrued as an endorsement of the title)

For people playing the demo:
Is the voice acting recording quality as crummy as the trailers have made it out to be?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TurnipFritter posted:

I think it's going more along the lines of Cecil or Celes. (This should not be misconstrued as an endorsement of the title)

For people playing the demo:
Is the voice acting recording quality as crummy as the trailers have made it out to be?

I haven't heard a single piece of voice acting yet. Maybe we'll see in the full game.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

I haven't heard a single piece of voice acting yet. Maybe we'll see in the full game.

Use the AR cards for some voice acting.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Jesus Christ those motherfucking scorpion enemies in the forest.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Demo Question - Is only 1 of the AR cards supposed to work? So far I have only managed to get the black and white fairy one to work.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I choose to believe that the game will actually be about a group of recent college graduates steadfastly refusing to pay their student loans as a way of protesting the broken and predatory system that encourages young people to take on that debt.

Either that or a completely standard FF plot. I'll have to try the demo and find out.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 14, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What level should I be to take on the boss in the storage cave? I'm around level 6 with the Knight, Black Mage, Red Mage and Freelancer (which I should probably change to something else) all at rank 2. She just pushed my poo poo in with Aeroga.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What level should I be to take on the boss in the storage cave? I'm around level 6 with the Knight, Black Mage, Red Mage and Freelancer (which I should probably change to something else) all at rank 2. She just pushed my poo poo in with Aeroga.

As mentioned earlier, silence is your friend.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dunban posted:

One of NPCs in town mentions that there are special spots on the world map where you can fight unique monsters / get better rewards or something along those lines. Has anyone found one of those spots yet?

The beach to the very south, past the big tower, has an encounter with 6 Chompers, super fast fuckers who have like a 50% chance to run away every turn, and if they stick around, they have a lot of HP and take pretty little damage, and their attacks deal roughly 50 damage a piece and poison you. I've managed to kill one, and the reward was fine enough, so if you managed to get them all it'd probably be the best exp per encounter found on the world map. Haven't tried to find any other special spots, though.

Has anyone tried the game with 3D on? How is it?

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 14, 2013

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I have to give mad props to Square Enix on this demo. This is the first demo on the eShop that has managed to take me from being completely uninterested in a game to the point of generally wanting to buy the game sometime after release.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, there is a demo? poo poo, I need to get on that (assuming that the US gets it).

Also, what is this about paying for in game items? As I understand you gain them anyway from streetpass or play coins or whatever.

EDIT: Yup, no US demo yet. poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, what is this about paying for in game items? As I understand you gain them anyway from streetpass or play coins or whatever.

The new version of the game has a time-stop mechanic that slowly replenishes while your 3DS is in sleep mode, but you can also just buy a bunch of time-stop potions using real-world money if you're feeling lazy. You won't miss any content by not buying the items.

The game in general has a lot of modern social features - not just the Streetpass/Spotpass stuff, there's lots of junk you can get by syncing to the browser game or to Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just beat the second boss.
My tactics: My setup was Agnes and Tiz as swordmasters, Ringabel as a Performer, and Edea as a Ninja. This fight's all about the boss's rhythm. He'll start off casting a spell that reflects all magic damage, so I didn't even bother with that. Then, he'll default until he's built up 2 turns, then Brave it all away and hit you several times for massive damage. So my tactics, going in, was to just generally chip away at him during his Defaulting turns, and then when he had two turns stored, I'd have Agnes Cover Ringabel and use Nothing Ventured. Tiz just used Nothing Ventured, and Ringabel made sure I had the attack buff up and kept everyone healed. Edea was using Utsusemi to trigger Transcience and Comeback Kid (counter-attack after a dodge and increase damage done after a dodge) and was just chipping away at him. It went okay at first, but I a) didn't realize Agnes couldn't Cover Ringabel during a Ground Spike since it hits everyone and b) his attacks were just too powerful and he attacked too much for a single Utsusemi to keep Edea safe, so she went down. I had already used up my Phoenix Down after Agnes went down after some heavy attacks, so I revised my strategy. Agnes and Tiz now both used Ironclad and Nothing Ventured during his Brave turns, while Ringabel just Defaulted. Success! Lots of EXP and job points, sorry you didn't get any Edea. :toot:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

Has anyone tried the game with 3D on? How is it?

Looks pretty, the town has a nice layer effect going on, but it has some of the worst ghosting I've ever seen in a 3DS game. :(

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Man, I just started on hard mode and those white cait mages just wrecked me, 300+ damage in one hit, geez.

I guess it's not hard mode for nothing, Running with a Knight, Swordsmaster, Black and red mage. Magic is very useful so far, it seems.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The game is just straight up pretty darn difficult, even at Normal. I'm at what I believe to be the final boss of the demo right now, and there's no way I'm touching him again until I've unlocked new armour from the village. Thankfully, after you beat the third boss (who had an absolute ton of HP, but I managed to get him), if you talk with one of the NPCs in the city, they'll give you another villager, which cuts the time waiting for them to clear away these dumb rocks in half.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can customise the difficulty too, by the way.
Make it so you get no exp, no money and more random battles, or no random battles.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HelloWinter posted:

February 7th for North America in 2014!

Thank christ. I'm at the point where I have too many games to play/buy, so having one fall off my list till next year really helps the wallet.

Game looks really cool. I wasn't all that interested at first but the more I hear about it the better this game sounds. It's been far, far too long since I've bought a proper Square RPG but this game looks like it's gonna be exactly that.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
So..any tips on defeating that dragon at the oasis?

He is weak to ice but his magic defense seems to be so outrageously high that he basically doesn't take any damage from it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, all the NPCs tell you "oh no, you need better gear", so go pick up the extra villager from the city, and have them construct stuff in the village. One hour 41 minutes until they're done clearing away these rocks. Guess I should refight all the bosses to max out my jobs and get some more levels. :effort: At least you can get friends online in the full version. gently caress Streetpass.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^^You can just, you know, stop playing for a while and they'll be done when you come back. At least while leaving the game open in sleep mode, I dunno if you exit completely.

Dunban posted:

So..any tips on defeating that dragon at the oasis?

He is weak to ice but his magic defense seems to be so outrageously high that he basically doesn't take any damage from it.

At the very least you need enough numbers to survive the tail sweep without guarding on every character. Dodge/block his attacks a lot and counter. He is extremely predictable and has only two attacks, so if you plan accordingly you can win. I went in with a mage (black magic is completely pointless though, and white magic is basically required), and the rest were physical attackers with ninja and/or bushido skills for the blocking and countering part. Then I just did evasion/countering with the attackers every turn, and healing and casting protect with the mage. Someone died almost every time he popped his brave, but he courteously gives you a recovery turn afterwards so it wasn't that big a deal and eventually he died. Mage almost ran out of MP so bringing some ethers would not hurt if you have them.

My MVP was Edea who had taken red mage, then ninja, which gives you an absolutely killer combination of skills where you can dodge every turn and gain both buffs and BP for doing so. You can't even die unless the enemy wises up and starts attacking multiple times. If you added the bushido counter on top of that I'm pretty sure you'd be literally unkillable.

If you need to grind jobs, go to the beach at the south of the map and set encounters to easy. You should be able to kill all of the six chompers that show up and they give 10jp apiece.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hahaha, the demo even has a fakeout final boss/superboss after the final boss. With what may well be one of my favorite pieces of boss music ever, holy poo poo. :allears: And Tiz even managed to get TWO Nothing Ventured crits for over 1k damage, completely negating his heal. Sure I'll take that 8k gold, thank you.

And I STILL haven't gotten all the bonuses. What do I have to do, max out everyone's Jobs?

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 14, 2013

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I think you need to finish upgrading the town to get the final bonus. Haven't done it myself yet, just read about it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

NA preorder for the collector's edition is up for $54.99 at Gamestop

• Locked thread