Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is there a demo to get bonus stuff in the full game this time around as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

Is there a demo to get bonus stuff in the full game this time around as well?

Yes, it works the same way, only this time it has its own story that serves as a prologue for the main game and you obtain jobs by defeating bosses instead of having them all from the beginning.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a decent group setup I can use? I'm in the end of Chapter 3 after the temple. It just seems like I have a real issue with MP if I try to go anywhere :(

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a decent group setup I can use? I'm in the end of Chapter 3 after the temple. It just seems like I have a real issue with MP if I try to go anywhere :(

Early on you want to be using Aspir on trash if you get the chance. If you know you can wipe the floor with an enemy team without needing to heal, have your healer cast Aspir x 4 on whichever enemy has lowest MDef. It's like a free Ether!
Alternatively, also quite early on there's a shield which lets you cast Cura for free if you use it as an item. Get this, use this for free forever.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The Spell Fencer passive that gives you free Aspir weapon at the beginning of fights is handy for a little bit in the early chapters

and it coincidentally gets bad the same point a bunch of undead enemies become common

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

!Sword Magic basically never stops being good though, especially Dark Knight!Sword Magic where you're smashing idiots for max damage twelve times in a row.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think you mean "everybody trades the Blood Sword around"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Irritated Goat posted:

Valk/Spell Fencer x2, the big thing you need is 2 handed so you can leap on fools. You can usually wipe out any pack by having each of them cleave twice.

Red Mage/Your Choice, Red Mage outpaces black mage and white mage til chapter 4 so keep one with you.

Summoner/Red Mage. You get Aspir to continue your summons and summons to wreck people.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Sword magic is super cool through the game, but Aspir Weapon on mages to occasionally top off their magic is specifically useful for a few chapters before you really need to beef up your game around chapter 4-5

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I just got the airship so most likely, I'll do the team:

Black Mage
White Mage
Sword Magic
Time Magic(?) or find a BP battery class I've unlocked.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Ugh could they not get the same voice actress to come back? New girl is kinda bad. Plus since when was Edea a crybaby?

That said i'm still probably gonna try the demo out.

Wait, what? It's still the same voice actress for every character except Kamiizumi and Braev, right? :psyduck:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

... And now I'm thinking almost all of this game's voicework was done by a single woman. :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is there a bravely second thread?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Here ya go.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I finally picked this game (#1) up last week and am wondering why I waited so long, I just got the Thief asterisk about five hours in and am really enjoying it even if it's felt kind of slow thus far. I've seen a couple of locked blue chests in dungeons, will it be obvious when I can go back and open them?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

C-Euro posted:

I finally picked this game (#1) up last week and am wondering why I waited so long, I just got the Thief asterisk about five hours in and am really enjoying it even if it's felt kind of slow thus far. I've seen a couple of locked blue chests in dungeons, will it be obvious when I can go back and open them?

Yes, it will.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
At the risk of being a necro-dude, I finally repicked BF up and got back up to the last place I stopped, eight hours and outside the second big town to hopefully get the water crystal up and running. All I know is that the game is setting up Ringabel to be the Dark Knight's alter ego, and that there's probably time stuff going on. All I've been properly spoiled on is not to trust a certain character. Game is so good, though. Wish the asterisks came a little quicker, but after getting Spell Fencer and Time Mage, there's a good team a'formin'. Kinda want play FF5 again, though.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It's around here I started to dig into the journal a bit and realized that every single boss is brutally killed

none of this JRPG beat a boss and they survive nonsense, your team of four are stone cold killers

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

It's around here I started to dig into the journal a bit and realized that every single boss is brutally killed

none of this JRPG beat a boss and they survive nonsense, your team of four are stone cold killers

Just wait until chapter 7.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The asterisk battles in chapter 7, and to a slightly lesser extent chapter 6, are why I can never get really upset at the repetition gimmick in the second half of the game. If you have any degree of fondness for the cast at large they're great moments.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A smartphone RPG called Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect has just been announced.

The genre is 'Fantasy RPG' so it may not be filled with microtranactions. Who knows.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I never played Braverly Default, should I jump into Braverly second? Am I going to be missing any story elements?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

obi_ant posted:

If I never played Braverly Default, should I jump into Braverly second? Am I going to be missing any story elements?

Any time you're dealing with a returning character, they'll tell you what you need to know. They're both good games, but if you only have time for one, Second is better.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Literally the first thing you see when you start up BS (I mean, even before you get to the start menu) is a cinematic that completely spoils all of the major plot beats and twists of Default.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
From a storytelling, character and being completely broken standpoint, first is better

from a more sane JRPG perspective, second is likely better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks! I will pick it up today. I assume $20 is a good deal.

• Locked thread