Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

squeakyneb posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Oven steak? Jesus.

Put steak in/on skillet/pan/BBQ-surface (after oiling/buttering it of course dumbass). Medium-ish high heat type thing. Wait for blood/fluids to come to the top of the steak. How much fluid is on top tells you how well done it is. Fluids only just coming up is usually the correct amount of done (don't cook steaks to the point of well done, that's loving disgusting). Flip the steak and repeat for the other side. Put on plate. Serve. Consume. Enjoy.

Other easy skillet thing: savoury mince. You can basically cook this however you want and with a little practice and creativity you've got good eating. It's ridiculously refridgerable/freezable so you can do like a week of dinner at once if you're lonely enough. Serve with potato or rice or something. Also, adding grated cheese is awesome.

Oil the pan up. Put a pile of mince in there. Get it almost cooked (remember to violently rub it with an egg-flippy spatula or it bunches together like a really lovely burger patty). Insert vegetables 'n' poo poo. If you wouldn't eat them raw, they should generally either be pre-cooked or in very tiny parts. poo poo like garlic or onions is good. Tomato is a must-have. Add beef stock if you want to, makes it generally tastier. Add italianish stuff and lots of tomato paste (or ketchup if you're cheap/too lazy to go shopping) and you'll end up with bolognese, which is doubleplusgood on spaghetti (or any pasta really).

If you're only used to wafer thin steaks then I can see how the oven method might seem bizarre, but honestly your post is mainly garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hey trolls, come to GWS! We'll feed you!

Stalizard posted:

d3rt posted:

drgitlin posted:

Get it? 'Cause this is a cooking forum and that guy was obviously a troll. Do you get the joke I am making here?

brick cow fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 25, 2013

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Mister Macys posted:

Followed by homefries with finely chopped rosemary.

Just don't burn your herbs, they taste awful burnt =(

squeakyneb posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Oven steak? Jesus.

Put steak in/on skillet/pan/BBQ-surface (after oiling/buttering it of course dumbass). Medium-ish high heat type thing. Wait for blood/fluids to come to the top of the steak. How much fluid is on top tells you how well done it is. Fluids only just coming up is usually the correct amount of done (don't cook steaks to the point of well done, that's loving disgusting). Flip the steak and repeat for the other side. Put on plate. Serve. Consume. Enjoy.

Other easy skillet thing: savoury mince. You can basically cook this however you want and with a little practice and creativity you've got good eating. It's ridiculously refridgerable/freezable so you can do like a week of dinner at once if you're lonely enough. Serve with potato or rice or something. Also, adding grated cheese is awesome.

Oil the pan up. Put a pile of mince in there. Get it almost cooked (remember to violently rub it with an egg-flippy spatula or it bunches together like a really lovely burger patty). Insert vegetables 'n' poo poo. If you wouldn't eat them raw, they should generally either be pre-cooked or in very tiny parts. poo poo like garlic or onions is good. Tomato is a must-have. Add beef stock if you want to, makes it generally tastier. Add italianish stuff and lots of tomato paste (or ketchup if you're cheap/too lazy to go shopping) and you'll end up with bolognese, which is doubleplusgood on spaghetti (or any pasta really).

Oh noes, evenly distributed heat?

Egg spatula? What the gently caress is wrong with you? I don't need a loving spatula for eggs.

BBQ? Steak? What the gently caress is wrong with you? Do you not like natural flavors?

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 25, 2013

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
The best thing about multiple pieces of cast iron is that you now have a pannini press.

Get two pans on the stove, both on high heat. Assemble your sandwich and use a good bread, like a ciabbatta or a french baguette. Once sandwich is done, oil top and bottom (spray vegetable oil is fine) and turn heat off both pans. Put the sandwich into one pan, then put the other pan right on top of the sandwich and press down (use an oven mitt or one of these). Leave for a few minutes, and viola, a lovely pressed sandwich!

Also you should make pizzas in your cast iron pans, pizza stones can suck it. Just remember, after forming the pizza in the pan, heat in on the stove for a little so it matches the oven temp when you put it in there.

fuckin love cast iron

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
That moment when your mind is rapidly expanding due to poo poo you never thought to do with a cast iron skillet. I think I need an advil, or Bacon.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My mother has a cast iron set that I have learned to cook on and love to use. Now I'd like a set of my own... but I can't find any cast iron pans that have a smooth bottom. All the ones around here in the stores, and even what I've seen online so far, have had pebbled sandy-like bottoms, but my mother's was completely smooth.

Does anyone still sell smooth-bottomed cast iron pans anymore? Or is the rough bottom all that gets sold these days?

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Iunnrais posted:

My mother has a cast iron set that I have learned to cook on and love to use. Now I'd like a set of my own... but I can't find any cast iron pans that have a smooth bottom. All the ones around here in the stores, and even what I've seen online so far, have had pebbled sandy-like bottoms, but my mother's was completely smooth.

Does anyone still sell smooth-bottomed cast iron pans anymore? Or is the rough bottom all that gets sold these days?

Pretty sure that they are smooth from years of use. My new pan is finally starting to break in.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I had a decent lodge pan I got a few years ago, seasoned the already factory seasoned...uh seasoning. Cooked and cared for it normally for a couple years, it was great. And now I can't get rid of black/rust poo poo that keeps coming up.

I'm not a moron about cast iron pans, the absolute worst thing I ever did to this pan was when it was in pristine shape, I took it camping and used it to cook up mussels in a tomato sauce over a campfire. Once, and quickly. And I rinsed it out immediately (like literally emptied and scrubbed clean with lakewater and wiped with oil) and used it to cook bacon the next day, and re-seasoned it within a month of the experience, and it was fine. That was like 3 years ago. It kept it's finish until a little while back, when something happened to it that I'm not aware of. It didn't get soaped, sit in dishwater, anything, but all of a sudden the finish on it totally hosed up.

I've tried studiously re-seasoning the pan probably 3 times now, and I can still wipe black/rust out of it with crisco and a paper towel. I dunno what I did to gently caress this pan up, but is there help for it beyond continuously reseasoning it at smoke-point levels?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Iunnrais posted:

I've heard of people sanding down modern pans. As far as I know only the older pans have smooth bottoms. I just watched Craigslist until a Griswold showed up and I bought that from a dude.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, sadly the modern production Lodges and whatnot don't do fully smooth surfaces. I think it's a cost saving step.

I keep meaning to get a couple Griswolds in smaller sizes for dedicated egg pans, but my 12" Lodge has enough seasoning built up by now that it's smooth enough for most stuff.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Since griswolds are hilariously expensive and out of my current price range, whats a better option for a skillet than lodge? Are there any decent manufacturers out there?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Go to a camping or army surplus store. I dunno if they're any better but you can get different brands of bare un-seasoned skillets

What's wrong with Lodge anyway?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lodges are fine, but hell, cast iron is cast iron.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you live near a K-town, they have all sorts of cast iron grilling stuff at very reasonable prices.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Loving what I'm reading here gonna go get some cast iron gear ASAP, quick question my job offers me very easy access to moderately large surface grinders and any sort of hand finishing gear (scrapers, laps, linnishers etc). So would it be worth licking the bottom of any purchase back till there is a bear wittiness of the old surface finish or just let it wear in as it pleases?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tasmantor posted:

Loving what I'm reading here gonna go get some cast iron gear ASAP, quick question my job offers me very easy access to moderately large surface grinders and any sort of hand finishing gear (scrapers, laps, linnishers etc). So would it be worth licking the bottom of any purchase back till there is a bear wittiness of the old surface finish or just let it wear in as it pleases?
Either there is some kind of slang going on here or your phone's autocomplete is loving with you or my vocabulary is more limited than I thought, because I can't quite understand what you're saying here, but yes, some people find that smoothing down the bumpier modern cast iron that companies like Lodge sell gives you a nicer surface, and if you can do so fairly easily, you might as well.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Assuming you've sanded a cast-iron skillet to the desired smoothness, how do you clean off the metal dust in a food-safe way? I'm thinking of sanding only the flat part of the pan and not the sides, since that way I can use my power sander, but I'm concerned about ending up with iron filings embedded in the remaining seasoning, which is presumably softer than iron, since they could get in my food later. Should I hit the whole thing with oven cleaner and completely reseason it?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The only part I could see sanding down would be the bottom, since they used to be smooth and now they aren't. Assuming that is what you mean: go for it! IFF you want to use it as a panini press (as described) or something similar. Otherwise, I'm not sure it is worth the effort. I'm guessing the modern crinkly pattern has some purpose to it (and may in fact be desirable) but wasn't previously something that could be done in a realistic way. Or the way an electric range heats vs. electric. No idea, but I'm hoping there is some reason for it . . . because otherwise it's just a way to use less metal to make it. And if they are already skimping on metal, I'm not sure that sanding it down is the way you want to go.

Also, for panini presses, I highly recommend the George Foreman grill. Which makes sense, since that is basically what it is. It also works great for processed meats like hot dogs. You can also use it to finish things like a nice brined chicken breast and (theoretically) steak. The former works as long as you are really quick about it so you don't dry it out and ruin it. The latter I haven't tried yet because super-thick steaks are a luxury item for me so I'm sure-as-poo poo not gonna experiments with them. Real bad with lamb and my personal favorite-and-staple-of-my-kitchen goat. But sammies? gently caress YEAH.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Okay cool thanks guys, I'll do one just to see I can take pic's if you like. If the finish doesn't need to be really fine then coolio.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I had a decent lodge pan I got a few years ago, seasoned the already factory seasoned...uh seasoning. Cooked and cared for it normally for a couple years, it was great. And now I can't get rid of black/rust poo poo that keeps coming up.

I'm not a moron about cast iron pans, the absolute worst thing I ever did to this pan was when it was in pristine shape, I took it camping and used it to cook up mussels in a tomato sauce over a campfire. Once, and quickly. And I rinsed it out immediately (like literally emptied and scrubbed clean with lakewater and wiped with oil) and used it to cook bacon the next day, and re-seasoned it within a month of the experience, and it was fine. That was like 3 years ago. It kept it's finish until a little while back, when something happened to it that I'm not aware of. It didn't get soaped, sit in dishwater, anything, but all of a sudden the finish on it totally hosed up.

I've tried studiously re-seasoning the pan probably 3 times now, and I can still wipe black/rust out of it with crisco and a paper towel. I dunno what I did to gently caress this pan up, but is there help for it beyond continuously reseasoning it at smoke-point levels?

The seasoning can indeed "rot", if you will, like rust on a car. And if it ever starts, seasoning over the top won't help. So it might be time to blow it away completely and start over - put it in the oven and start the self-cleaning cycle, scrub with soap and steel scrubbies, take it all the way back down to bare iron, and only then start reseasoning the pan.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shobodb : It's not a benefit, it's the result of dropping a step in manufacturing to make pans cheaper. The pebble texture is what's left normally after sand casting of cast iron, they just on't boter to grind all the surfaces smooth anymore.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Well, there we go! Thanks!

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Shobodb : It's not a benefit, it's the result of dropping a step in manufacturing to make pans cheaper. The pebble texture is what's left normally after sand casting of cast iron, they just on't boter to grind all the surfaces smooth anymore.

cheap bastards... *looks at harbor freight for a cheap angle grinder*

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I finally managed the impossible and got cast iron pans here in Korea, yay!

I've never had cast iron before. They're pre-seasoned, which is helpful. I'm not sure what of the care things I've read are bullshit or not. Some people say if soap gets anywhere near it it basically explodes into flames, others that you can wash gently with soap and it's fine. I know a lot say to never clean it but I don't see how that gets you anything but a gross rear end pan. How do I keep my cast iron happy?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Grand Fromage posted:

I finally managed the impossible and got cast iron pans here in Korea, yay!

I've never had cast iron before. They're pre-seasoned, which is helpful. I'm not sure what of the care things I've read are bullshit or not. Some people say if soap gets anywhere near it it basically explodes into flames, others that you can wash gently with soap and it's fine. I know a lot say to never clean it but I don't see how that gets you anything but a gross rear end pan. How do I keep my cast iron happy?

You can give them a quick scrub and rinse with soapy water but don't let them sit in a sink. A quick scrape/scrub with a brush is all you really need to do to it, unless you've baked on a bunch of cheese or something.

Dry it off by setting it back on the burner for a few minutes after you use it, putting it away wet is a good way to find it rusty the next day. Adding a few drops of oil to it isn't going to hurt either. Rub it around with a paper towel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cool. Doesn't sound much different than the stainless steel pan I have, except the oil for maintaining the seasoning.

One other thing, since the handle is just part of the whole thing I assume it gets hot as gently caress and I'm going to want to use an oven mitt or wrap it in a towel? Or does it not conduct heat that far from the burner?

I don't want to find that out by trial and error. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Use a towel/oven mitt. It'll take time to heat up though

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Use a towel/oven mitt. It'll take time to heat up though

I kind of want to get one of those little sleeve thingies for mine. The range is electric, so unless I'm heating the thing up in the oven for steaks, it shouldn't be hot enough to burn the sleeve, and I can just leave it on there. Then, I can move the pan around or hold it steady while moving around the food, and I don't have to have a big clumsy glove on.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

ejstheman posted:

I kind of want to get one of those little sleeve thingies for mine. The range is electric, so unless I'm heating the thing up in the oven for steaks, it shouldn't be hot enough to burn the sleeve, and I can just leave it on there. Then, I can move the pan around or hold it steady while moving around the food, and I don't have to have a big clumsy glove on.

I found that if I leave the sleeve on, it still gets hot and I need to use a glove anyway, only now I can't grip it as well because the sleeve slides around the handle. I've used both cloth and silicone sleeves. I ended up just throwing them out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, sleeves are useless. They get hot anyways and mine started scorching and didn't feel safe. Tossed.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use a welding glove instead of one of those silly sleeve things. I can keep it on while doing most of my cooking, it can handle temperatures much higher than what we're dealing with, and it's easier to grip with than a cooking mitten. 100% recommend

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

ejstheman posted:

Assuming you've sanded a cast-iron skillet to the desired smoothness, how do you clean off the metal dust in a food-safe way?
loving magnets. How do they work?

Seriously though, grab a few of those tiny rare earth magnets, and it should quickly attract any filings you have left.

Johann Suit
May 24, 2006
I bought my Griswold for $25 at a flea market after a failed attempt of haggling with a grizzly old man. Gave it a good scrub and reseasoned it and it's as good as new.

They can have a good assortment of older pans in different sizes/shapes. I've also seen a fair amount of Dutch ovens and those cornbread corncob muffin tin things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My fuckin' mom. Love her as I do her kitchen skills leave a lot to be desired, she's the master of the microwaved canned Green Giant vegetables and gray pork chops.

She had my grandmother's old cast iron pan, and passed it on to me a few years ago. I quickly took it out side and used a putty knife to remove the years and years and burnt on crust that covered the outside of the pan, scrubbed it up and re-seasoned it in the oven.

My mom flipped out when she saw the pan and barely recognized it. "You removed all the seasoning!!"

Mom, there is no seasoning on the outside of the pan. The food never touches the outside of the pan, what sense would that make?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My stupid grill, the regular burners don't get hot enough to sear a steak to my liking and the single infa-red burner simply vaporizes poo poo. So the cast iron pan makes a perfect device to balance it out.

<Enter my stupid brother-in-law, "You can't make a steak in a pan!" :downswords:>

Meanwhile he uses one of those 'toy' camping stoves to cook gray steaks.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

My stupid grill, the regular burners don't get hot enough to sear a steak to my liking and the single infa-red burner simply vaporizes poo poo. So the cast iron pan makes a perfect device to balance it out.

<Enter my stupid brother-in-law, "You can't make a steak in a pan!" :downswords:>

Meanwhile he uses one of those 'toy' camping stoves to cook gray steaks.

Let me guess, the same dickbag brother-in-law that incessantly presses the spatula down on the burgers while they're on the grill?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ejstheman posted:

Assuming you've sanded a cast-iron skillet to the desired smoothness, how do you clean off the metal dust in a food-safe way? I'm thinking of sanding only the flat part of the pan and not the sides, since that way I can use my power sander, but I'm concerned about ending up with iron filings embedded in the remaining seasoning, which is presumably softer than iron, since they could get in my food later. Should I hit the whole thing with oven cleaner and completely reseason it?

Sand it and then wipe the other surfaces down with some scotchbrite, rinse all surfaces thoroughly and then reseason as required.

I'm completely in love with the 80+ year old griswold I recently bought, works much better and holds the seasoning much better than my former martha stewart cast iron.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Griswold snobs unite, my Griswold (14", 10" and 8") cost more to ship than the eBay bid but goddamn I love em.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I might love my Griswold #8 more than my children :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I have a 12" Griswold skillet and a 12" Griswold griddle from my grandma, and with all the love the brand is getting, maybe I just won't bother trying to refinish my 10" Sears skillet. They seem clean, but haven't been used in decades; can I just wipe them off and start using them, or should I reseason?

• Locked thread