Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Picked this up last night because of this thread, it's fun as hell but I ran into a necro deck in my last game that made me feel like such a fool. :smith: I also bought a premium pack before seeing here that I shouldn't be doing that, but that's okay. Other than that Inferno has been a lot of fun with the small handful of changes I made to the initial deck! Now I just need to figure out what sets I need cards from to make something more efficient.

In-game name is Bussamove, add me to some friend lists or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hellfire Slave feels like cheating. Just throw a massive pile of the number 4 at your opponent, see what happens. :getin:

Been doing some swiss tourneys tonight, they're fun!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Started to run into some troubles last night against higher ELO players in swiss, and I was hoping some people more experienced with Inferno could give me some deck pointers. Keep in mind this is very much a work in progress and some bits like events I'm really not happy with.

HERO
Garant, Seeker of Discord

EVENTS
Week of Knowledge x1
Celebration x3
Day of Fortune x3
Week of the Weaponsmith x1

CREATURES
Maniac x4
Succubus x4
Demented x4
Hellfire Bloater x4
Pao Deathseeker x2
Juggernaut x4
Cerberus x4
Lesser Fire Elemental x1
Pit Fiend x1
Lilim x3
Ravager x2
Hellfire Slave x3
Pit Lord x1

SPELLS
Fire Bolt x4
Dispel Magic x2
Teleport x2
Town Portal x2

FORTUNES
Gold Pile x3
Altar of Destruction x2
Chamber of Dementia x2
Campfire x2

I need one more Gold Pile, and I want to find a way to squeeze two more Campfires in which might be getting rid of the Chamber of Dementia. Events need a lot of work and I'm in the middle of getting the creatures I want, but I wanted to see if anyone saw any other glaring flaws or things I might want to work towards.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tae posted:

Your deck is all over the place. Is it rush, control, mid-range? You have to choose a theme and focus on the strengths of that theme to make a better deck.

After some more critical thinking about my card choices and a thorough schooling on what I was doing wrong from Jedit (thanks again!) I cut out a lot of the extraneous poo poo I had going on, like the discard, and added in some more useful spells to support what I wanted to do with it. It's looking much more like a rush deck now instead of a... rushed deck. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man, I got to 600ish ELO and my deck seems to have completely fallen apart. Seems like all I run up against are Haven and Necro decks that I get almost dead before they stabilize and wreck my face because I have either not enough removal in my hand or not enough attack on the board to deal with their creatures. I really need to get some more Inner Fires from packs, and maybe some more shooters because I'm awful melee heavy right now and my front lines can get clogged really fast. Of course lack of late-game survivability is a problem rush decks have had in every CCG ever, I might try to retool it into more of a mid-game deck, but I only have a vague idea how to go about that so it'll be an adventure!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I'm in a weird place as far as buying packs is concerned. On one hand I really want to unlock the other sets in the altar, on the other there's some cards I desperately need 1-2 more copies of (Lilim, Paos, Inner Fire) from the base set to really make my deck jive. I've already blown too many wildcards on uncommons, but the game seems hellbent on not giving me what I need.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

So I've fought a ton of 1000+ ELO Crag Hack decks today, and they beat me every single time. I was playing my Academy deck. There might have been one game I could've won, but I made a mistake. Seriously, one mistake against these decks and you lose.

Anyone else have similar a experience in 1000+ ELO?

I'm not quite 1000+, but even in the 500-1000 tier I'm in Crag Hack is the only hero I really dread seeing when I start up a game. If they get even a half-decent draw you're getting rushed by so much poo poo so fast it's hard to recover from.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That's a pretty awesome card right there, although it's got fairly low attack so I'd be worried about it clogging up your lanes once it's done the job. A good chump blocker while you pull out one of Academy's many stupid tricks though.

In other news, I've grown to love chucking Hellfire Bloaters at Sanctuary ambushers. Its so satisfying. :getin: Now if only I could pull another couple goddamn Inner Fire from packs so I could more easily deal with these enormous sharks that have a bone to pick with me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tae posted:

Uh, Primal has a two really good ways to remove on-going in Dispel and Mass Dispel. I don't get it.

Void Ripple has the added bonus of being able to take out anything if they don't have any ongoing effects to remove, but it's awful expensive so it seems pretty lackluster to me. If all you're packing it for is to remove ongoing, why not just use the much cheaper, easier to get alternatives?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mirthless posted:

How the hell am I supposed to deal with Necro as an aggro player? I feel like every creature in their set has more HP than my highest damage attackers and infect effects that make attacking or defending a futile effort. Am I missing something, or is aggro just not supposed to win against this faction? :psyduck: It seems every game by turn 3 my opponent has 18 life worth of creatures on the board and has removal'd every big attacker I have.

As Inferno rush, going against a Necro deck is really dicey for me. If I get a good draw with fast drops and decent removal I'm usually good, but it can backfire too. Good use of Town Portal/Teleport is key too, if you're using a hero with access to Prime.

I feel your pain though, Necro is no fun for me to see across the board.

Edit-- Someone mentioned a lack of magic creatures in your deck, but there really aren't many options for that in Inferno. You're better off swinging at them with a melee or lilim/succubus, then finishing them off with a fire bolt.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 22, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

No, shoot them with the Fire Bolt then finish them with the creature. Doing it the other way round incurs retaliation damage.

Goddamn, of course I meant that-- I have no idea why I typed it the other way.:downs:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sorry again for leaving you hanging seanbas, I totally forgot I left my client logged in! I can't comment too much on Academy since I've never played it, but I will echo putting Paos in because they go well in most every deck.

I finally saved my wildcards to get Phrias last night. I think I'm in love. Also got a premium Adar-Malik out of packs so I might have to put a Necro deck together if I have the card base for it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Might as well give it a try!

Prime: The Prime school primarily revolves around manipulation of the battlefield. It has the ability to remove every type of (non-hero non-event) permanent in the game, either through outright destruction or returning it to its owners hand. Some spells also take your opponents spells and fortunes and let you play them as your own. Some notable spells include Teleport, Dispel Magic, and Town Portal. The unique spell is The Gate to Nowhere, a permanent enchant row spell that banishes any creature that attacks from that row.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now that I'm 1000+ ELO I'm finding myself struggling unless I get a really stellar draw. Mainly I feel like my creature base needs a bit of fine-tuning. I'd like to get rid of the Cerberus I have hanging around, but I'm not sure what to replace them with other than Hellfire Cerberus and all that really does is weigh my deck a bit more in favor of shooters. I've even contemplated dropping them entirely and going up to 4 of either Teleport or Town Portal from my current two of each, but that leaves me awful creature short and spell heavy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

I think some decks (at least based off some of the ones posted in this thread) run more creatures than necessary. People have a tendency to run 37 creatures when they can get away with 34. For most decks, it's pretty safe to go down to 33-34 creatures.

I run 34 creatures in my Academy deck in favor of additional removal spells.

I already keep my creature count a bit slim, I run 33 myself. Therein lies my problem, dipping below that threatens to clog my hand with spells when I really need to get some creatures on the board.

I also just realized I still only have two Ravagers. I should fix that one day.

Edit: Frenzied Maniac is making a strong argument for itself by being cheap for 3/3/3, but I'm not sure I like gambling that my opponent can't shut it down and having it smack me to death.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 23, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tae posted:

Frenzied Maniac is weird because it's really a 3 drop unless you're Xorm or going first because you can't drop it on turn 2 otherwise.

The 3 might requirement makes it a bit wonky, but it also frees up a resource for a Fire Bolt to kill their momentum, or dropping another Maniac for better row coverage, or stupid tricks with Gold Pile to somehow drop a Juggernaut on their head. Not that I can do the last one with Phrias on turn three, but a man can dream (or run Garant).

I would totally be down for Goon tourneys so you could all see how terrible I really am at this game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Finally got 50 friends for the achievement. Opened my Premium Heroic Pack.

This game can gently caress right off. Solforge level poo poo.

I got a premium Kelthor and Time Jump in my pack, sorry buddy. :v:

I'm trying to put an Arianna deck together now that I broke down and bought her deck because I needed more of a Necro base, and I'm realizing that I only have one Decay Spitter and no Banshees. This is going to be painful to put together.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

And the worst thing in this game is getting two Dark Assassins dropped on you first turn. :smith:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I must be super terrible at this game, I can't seem to get above 1100 elo for long. :smith:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

Thanks for noting that. I have several friend requests pending that I've received from others, but I haven't accepted them, because I don't know if they're from some random pubbie (that I played in a tournament) or from a goon. I only want goon friends!

I would love a way to add notes to my friends list. I have a few pubbies on there from when I was trying to get to 50 for the free pack and now I can't remember which they are.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DangerDongs posted:

So my inferno deck was doing amazing until I hit 1000 elo, and now I lose way more games than I win.

4 Demented
4 Succubus
4 Juggernaut
4 Sea elf Archer
4 Ravagers
4 Lilliams
4 Pao deathseekers
3 Dark Assassins

4 Firebolt
4 Inner Fire
3 Fall Ball
3 (does 2 dmg to all creatures in line)
3 Teleport
2 (Removes 1 ongoing spell)

4 Month of Flame
4 Week of Taxes

I lose most games, but when I do win its an absolute crush. I am thinking that the spell that does two damage in a line for 3 might not be the best card. This deck also runs 0 fortunes, and I used to not run the dispell 1 ongoing spell, but it really has saved me, especially now that I see stone walls, that card that removes half damage to melee creatures, removes half fire and magic damage, and that card that makes creatures not have quick attack.

My Inferno deck is similar, and it's kind of in the same position yours is of either dying horribly or absolutely crushing them. My personal recommendation would be ditching Fire Blast (2 damage to a line) for Town Portal, because you're going to run into situations where you want that Ravager to get through but 2 damage isn't going to cut it, where outright returning to the hand is always useful, and if you're running Phrias then you'll have ways to hit most of a line anyway. Even with Garant TP is going to be more useful, I'd say. It's the same Magic/resource cost too, so you're not upsetting your balance there. I also run Altar of Destruction for finishing people off before they can rally and take me out. Ever since getting to 1k+ ELO Dispel Magic has saved me so many times, definitely keep those in.

E: I've also experimented with running Doom Bringer/Week of the Dead for quick board wipe that I can use to get creature advantage. Your milage may vary.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 2, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DangerDongs posted:

EDIT: How do you like altar of destruction. It seems like such a terrible card to me, because it slows down your card advantage for only 2 damage. I wouldn't know where to begin with even fitting it into my deck.

Altar is a fantastic way to finish someone off-- you don't pop them as you pull them, you get them low and use it to seal the game with a quick 2 (or 4, or 6, etc) damage if your creatures can't quite suss out the win. Some people don't run them, I love them. That being said I still only run two because my deck is stuffed with other stuff.

I'm not a fan of Frenzy, because it's only situationally useful. You have to use an enemy creature as the first target, and that means hoping their creatures are large enough to finish each other off, which isn't always the case. Killing a creature is useful, but a rush deck like yours is more concerned with getting hits in fast, and if they don't die from the Frenzy you're forced to use your creatures attack to finish the job. TP both gets rid of a creature and slows them down while they replay it. Keep in mind that this can backfire if you return, say, a Banshee. Don't return Banshees unless you plan to win the game shortly after.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Son of a, got so engrossed in the Starbound beta that I totally forgot to log in yesterday. Six days of daily rewards down the drain. :smith:

I consoled myself by throwing together a Sanctuary deck because I was tired of being on the receiving end of outmaneuver and wanted to dish a bit out. It's surprisingly effective for being janky and totally slapdash because I'm still focusing my wildcards on my Necro deck.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I haven't run into a lot of high-tier Adar decks, but Ishuma generally rolls me pretty easily unless I get an amazing draw and my opponent gets a totally horrible one. The big problem I have with Sanctuary in general is the Outmaneuver mechanic. It's far too prevalent and there's very little you can do against it. With Ishuma it's especially bad because they can bounce your creatures into their hypnotizing ones and then zap them with their hero ability.

With Adar I don't feel like there's as much of an issue, from what little I've played of them. Constant recursion is nasty, but Necro has so much of it anyway and Adar's costs so much that I don't feel there's a problem there. Plus with stuff like Rise of the Nethermancer you can pretty easily banish the things you really don't want coming back.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

What are people's thoughts on Plague Bearer, the rare Necro creature for 5T? It seems decent enough to me if you can get it out soon after dropping some Decay Spitters. I might just stick with a couple Putrid Lamasus for my larger creatures until I can save up the WC for Damran and probably scrap the lot of them. And the last couple Shadow Images I need. God I need so many WCs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So I'm tweaking the metagame portions of my deck to better go up against Ishuma and whatnot, does Anchored count as immobilized for the purposes of him nuking them with his ability? Considering running a couple Earth Bound or maybe Deep Roots to help against Sanctuary and outmaneuver in general but I'm not sure if it will hurt me more than help.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah, I was more wondering if anchoring a creature would let Ishuma deal 2 damage to it as if it were immobilized, but if people are using Ice Shell to prevent things than I suppose it doesn't. Sadly I run Ariana and don't have access to water spells, but there's a couple useful earth spells I could run in place of them. Probably Earth Bound because I'm not particularly melee heavy, so that cuts down on Deep Roots usefulness.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

gannyGrabber posted:

I signed in and got a notification saying I received a special gift, but I have absolutely no idea what it was.

They were giving out compensation for the server instability, you might have gotten the 200 seals and 1 Tourney Ticket? I'm not at home to check right now to see if they've actually given those out yet.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The client is still horribly unstable right now, just got a hard crash that cost me a match I was starting to turn around. :smith: Really wish that didn't count as a loss for you, but I guess there's no way for the server to know whether it was a crash or a ragequit of the client.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Also consider switching heroes up if you have them. I don't care for Seria's spell selection, whereas other heroes have access to better schools. Ariana has earth which is great for anti-rush because of Earthquake and Insect Swarm, Adar-Malik has fire which is great all around. Definitely get to 4 decay spitters, and get some soul-consuming liches because they're great. Four Soul Reavers also helps, and Void Ripple is nice for all-around removal although I only run one along with a Curse of the Netherworld. Puppet Master is great for most every Necro hero that can run it as well.

E: I also run 4 Shadow Image because they essentially turn into Paos 5-8 bit I might cut that down to 2.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 11, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well that's a shame. Considering the expansion only dropped a couple days ago you'd think it would be a no-brainer to make it retroactive. What a poor PR decision on their part.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I'm tired of perpetually sitting at 1001 ELO as Ariana, so I think tonight I'm going to put together an Adar-Malik deck to try out since I have enough wildcards kicking around to get Forbidden Flame and a couple other rares I need more of like Cosmic Balance for anti-Tower of Oblivion meta. Other than Forbidden Flame are there any other power cards I should be looking for? I have Atropos and Silent Death already, so I think my epic needs are almost complete.

Also I'm totally going to miss that code redemption. :smith:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

Do you have Banshees?

I knew I was forgetting something! I have two Banshees, I feel like any more will have them clog up my hand too often but I might have the WC to get more after everything else.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That makes sense. If I have the WC to swing it I'll bump mine up to three when I get home.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Okay, Adar-Malik is all sorts of fun. Glad I finally bit the bullet and picked up what I needed.

I have so many creature removal options, and they're always in my hand. :getin:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sega 32X posted:

Huh. So I just lost to a guy with around 1300 ELO, and the +1 ELO I got for losing was enough to put me from 1000 to 1001. Wacky.

I had the same thing happen when I was at exactly 1000 ELO, it seems to be coded to give it to you.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

If I right click a creature without playing it, does it show the card to my opponent? It seems like I can see cards my opponent is thinking about playing.

You're seeing them thinking about where to place it/what to target as they cast it. If you just right-click to zoom in your opponent doesn't see it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

This is rarely a good move. It delays developing your stats, so you can end up not being able to play the card you drew anyway.

I run a couple Week of Knowledge on the off chance they turn up when I go first so I get some card advantage while still being able to increase my stats, since I don't run any 1 drops. It's been pretty useful so far!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arrrthritis posted:

What the gently caress is this bullshit. I want my wildcards back!

I have very few inferno cards but I still bought that guy on the pretense of being a giant drat worm.

Xorm is the worm, the guy on the back is just some annoying parasite giant lava worms pick up every now and then. They sell an ointment for it, no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cryohazard posted:

It occurs to me that soul-consuming lich + tower of the gardener = huge pain in the rear end.

It's amazingly useful to drop something like that. Hard to argue with 7 health and 5 damage to a creature that will probably heal whatever retribution damage it took. Bonus points if you can drop a Decay Spitter to finish off any bigger creatures the lich took a swing at. People get really mad when you kill their giant creatures with piles of spiders :v:

• Locked thread