Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Dillbag posted:

BG2:EE patch is live:

On Steam, or just Beamdog's service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Airfoil posted:

This is from the Baldur's Gate forum thread and I'm using the Beamdog manager, so not sure about Steam. Thread is here and there's some chatter about Steam being ready on the same day.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Iron Rose posted:

...why would you use the BG2 fixpack in BG1EE?

Because BG1EE is in the BG2 engine. The fixpack will only install stuff appropriate to the install you are using.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Airfoil posted:

Steam updated 2 hours ago.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm having an issue in baldur's gate 1 where mouse edge scrolling doesn't work on the left side of the screen, but does work everywhere else.
Edit: Closing the game and restarting it fixed the issue so whatever caused it, I'll just quicksave and quit real quick if it ever happens again. Game has a pretty quick startup, so no biggie.
VV Nope.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 22, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

LibbyM posted:

I'm having an issue in baldur's gate 1 where mouse edge scrolling doesn't work on the left side of the screen, but does work everywhere else.

Two monitors?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I had that issue on my laptop and I just zoomed the game screen out like 20% and it worked fine.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone know off the top of their head which of the BG2 fixpack fixes causes items to have the wrong description text in BG1EE? Before I go uninstalling them one by one to figure it out.

You shouldn't be using any fixpacks with BG1EE.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I have been inspired by this thread to create Dorna, the chaotic evil female half-orc fighter/cleric who is head over heels in love with Dorn. If only Dorn would love her back.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I caved and bought BG2EE through Steam after hearing that they patched the more serious issues. I can't seem to find where in the game the version number is listed though? I just want to make sure it's the right one but can't seem to find it.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

I caved and bought BG2EE through Steam after hearing that they patched the more serious issues. I can't seem to find where in the game the version number is listed though? I just want to make sure it's the right one but can't seem to find it.

I haven't seen it anywhere either, if you really want make sure you got right version go to the BG2EE Steam folder. There is a file there called build-date.txt, it should read: "Thu Nov 21 14:54:23 MST 2013"

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hm I guess there's no equivalent to the level 1 NPC mod in Enhanced Edition? I guess I'll have to use the EE version of Shadowkeeper.

Does the new EE Shadowkeeper (whatever it's called) do the level ups properly if you start doing weird things like changing an NPC's entire class to something else, or do I need to manually set everything like we used to in Shadowkeeper?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's not my imagination that the "defensive cleric" ai script will never actually cast healing spells on teammates unless directly ordered is it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

In BG1EE they prioritized themselves before party members, I remember that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ah it looks like Ascension is not quite ready for BG2:EE judging by the main forum, too bad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Spell immunity: abjuration also stops and protects against dispel/remove magic, so you're covered.

The way I handle improved Abazigal is to ignore him so he stays in his fairly harmless human form until everything else is dead, then unload on him. He typically doesn't have time to do anything before dying.

That's my strategy too. It usually works alright, though sometimes he still gets an imprison off on someone.

I suppose spell immunity would work but that would require your pc to be a mage or bard variant of some kind. I guess a prot from magic scroll would also do the trick if you can remember to save one for that fight.

e:

Rascyc posted:

Ah it looks like Ascension is not quite ready for BG2:EE judging by the main forum, too bad.

You should still be able to individually install the improved tob fights I would think? Pop them in the override folder and it should work unless Bg2:EE has changed the scripts/fights enough that doing that breaks them. I dunno though, haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm kind of too afraid to bother cause I may get that far into the game and be screwed by mod incompatibility and I would not be a happy camper if that happened.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
In Brynnlaw I paid a smuggler 200 gold to ship two people off the island. Why did I have to pay the Shadow Thieves 15,000 to get here?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Zilkin posted:

I haven't seen it anywhere either, if you really want make sure you got right version go to the BG2EE Steam folder. There is a file there called build-date.txt, it should read: "Thu Nov 21 14:54:23 MST 2013"
Thanks for the tip.

Baron Bifford posted:

In Brynnlaw I paid a smuggler 200 gold to ship two people off the island. Why did I have to pay the Shadow Thieves 15,000 to get here?
Should have gone to him from the beginning. Caveat emptor.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I paid 9000 gold to a wizard to take the Knights of Solamnia in the Planar Sphere back to their home which is on another planet. Why did I have to pay the Shadow Thieves 15,000 to get to an island that is within Amn's waters?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Because they were deliberately extorting you to make up for the fact that Bodhi is literally bleeding them dry.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

John McCain posted:

Because they were deliberately extorting you to make up for the fact that Bodhi is literally bleeding them dry.

Plus they're kinda terrified of you and Irenicus and want to see what you're both capable of. I mean basically all of the poo poo bodhi said is true. The shadow thieves were using you.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Baron Bifford posted:

I paid 9000 gold to a wizard to take the Knights of Solamnia in the Planar Sphere back to their home which is on another planet.

Did you at least get a Dragonlance out of it?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The smart thing is to side with Bodhi because you'll then get to destroy both guilds later in the game.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember playing Baldur's Gate and not really caring for it, whereas playing Torment was fantastic, and I played Icewind Dale II and just going hog wild breaking the system as hard as I could. There were some pretty broken things you could do, by making a party of level 1 casters on Heart of Fury and using summon monsters to get zillions of experience because you were level 1 adventurers taking on groups of level 20 goblins and winning (since your summoned monsters also scaled up to 20).

Even more insane was saving/reloading during the 'only one person may attempt the trials' thing, since your PCs sort of became NPCs and would get huge, huge bonuses upon the reload, so you could somehow wind up with a top level Sorcerer with 200 levels of Monk letting them scream across the map at light speed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm kind of annoyed at the AI scripts to be honest, they all seem to be either not working, or working too well. Give Aerie the Cleric Healer script? She doesn't do anything half the time. Give Hexxat the Thief Aggressive script? Can't detect traps for poo poo because she tries to re-stealth every round due to said script.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
That's a problem they had in BG1 EE too. Scripts LOVE to override your actual commands and a party of 6 turns into herding cats (with bad AI).

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm kind of annoyed at the AI scripts to be honest, they all seem to be either not working, or working too well. Give Aerie the Cleric Healer script? She doesn't do anything half the time. Give Hexxat the Thief Aggressive script? Can't detect traps for poo poo because she tries to re-stealth every round due to said script.

Scripts are generally terrible in combat, even the scripts added from mods (from SCS? I forget) are really useful only for buffing and healing outside combat. The only ones I usually use are attack nearest target for warrior types.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I find fighter scripts are usually fine, well except the whole thing about focus-fire generally being better unless you need a lot of spell-interruption. Every class that uses spells or abilities are pretty bad though. I had some decent custom ones for BG 1 - they were kind of annoying at times, and guzzled potions as if my party was actually full of dehydrated camels, but actually casting spells, casters and archers running away when attacked, and using potions when they were actually needed as well, were all nice.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
With bg2EE just released I've aborted a small party f/m/t run. Now I want to run all the new character so what would work ok with that kind of party? I really enjoyed the sneaky backstab then invis to backstab again of the f/m/t, so something along those lines might be good

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well, new characters gets you Big Fuckoff Swordfighter, Monk, Thief, Wild Mage. So, either a Cleric or Druid if you only want those 4 in your party, or you could make a tank or second Arcane caster and pick up Viconia or Aerie or Cernd (heh) or something for Divine spells.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antignition posted:

You shouldn't be using any fixpacks with BG1EE.

Yeah, I meant to type tweak pack, not fixpack. I want my casting/thieving in heavy armour and my item stacks, drat it.

The only component I installed that actually messes with item description text is the rebalanced proficiencies, but that doesn't seem to be the culprit. I guess I'll have to uninstall the whole thing and verify each component individually.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, I meant to type tweak pack, not fixpack. I want my casting/thieving in heavy armour...

Even though I liked their implementation in IWD2, and generally prefer it to the BG/IWD1 system, I could never make myself install those mods since these game really aren't balanced for it. Do enemy thieves/spellcasters ever even take advantage of these if you mod it in?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Even though I liked their implementation in IWD2, and generally prefer it to the BG/IWD1 system, I could never make myself install those mods since these game really aren't balanced for it. Do enemy thieves/spellcasters ever even take advantage of these if you mod it in?

They don't really make the game easier than it already is - the heavy armour casting penalties are steep so it's never advisable to cast in heavy armour. I'm pretty sure no new enemies will take advantage of it because all arcane casters wear robes. I mostly do it for convenience - it means being able to pick locks etc. without taking the armour off at high levels of thief skills, not that it's going to be particularly useful in BG1.

I found out what was breaking item descriptions - the "improved MP kick-out dialogue" component didn't install properly. Removing it fixed it, but sadly I'm still getting an "internal label [1] not found in processed DLG [MULTIG]" when I try to reinstall it so it looks like it's a problem with EE's MP scripts. Weird that the tweakpack doesn't pick up on that, since it's EE-aware.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 22, 2013

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Combat scripts just arent worth it tbh. Theres nothing more irritating than having your own commands constantly overridden. SCS ones were marginally better than default.

That said I like the thief one that either stays hidden or looking for traps, out of combat.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I never use AI in general. I just micromanage everything myself.

It's easier than it sounds, just set your fighters to autoattack, and have "pause on spell cast" and "pause on target gone" enabled, you can keep up really well.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've played through the BG series so many times I just can't be bothered micromanaging every fight any more.

Also man, Rogue Rebalancing is giving me some serious issues. Not sure if it's just a problem with BG2:EE in general, or if the patch caused it (it's with the item changes, and I hadn't run into any until today), but it sure is annoying.

E: In fixing it, I ran into a weird problem...apparently reloading a save where you're in the same area as a merchant that gets changed by an uninstall/reinstall, causes things to go haywire. Talking to them after fiddling with the mod if I loaded my quick-save right in front of them caused the game to crash. But reloading the auto-save from before entering the building made everything work perfectly.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 22, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I know it's early but is there any word on sales figures so far for BG2:EE? How did BG1:EE do?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is there anything stopping you from, as a Monk, recruiting Rasaad in BG2 and doing his quest and then immediately stripping him of all his sweet gear and kicking him to the curb?

Because a PC Monk could make far better use of that stuff than he ever could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How soon before Monk gets awesome? I am doing a solo monk run and had a lot of difficulty in Irenicus dungeon with missing attacks over and over. Getting outside and getting bracers of AC3 has helped a bunch defense wise at least. My thac0 is garbage even with 19 STR. Any must have items that are easy to grab for a monk?