Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Following Disney's well-loved but nevertheless under-rated Tangled comes another animated feature that has hopped in and out of development hell for years--longer than some of us have been alive, actually. Normally, that's a death knell for any truly great film, but like Tangled, I have high hopes for Disney's Frozen. What can I say? Between Tangled, Princess and the Frog, and Brave, it seems like "princess films" are becoming "films that acknowledge that girls exist and deserve good entertainment", and holy poo poo I am absolutely on board. They tend to focus on characterization as opposed to violence and lend themselves to certain kinds of sensitive subjects in a subtle, caring way. Cool beans!

Early reviews for this film are hugely, overwhelmingly positive and I am loving psyched as all hell.

quote:

Emma Dibdin of Digital Spy awarded the film five out of five stars and called it "a new Disney classic," further praising the film as "an exhilarating, joyous, human story that's as frequently laugh-out-loud funny as it is startling and daring and poignant. Hot on the heels of the 90th anniversary, it's impossible to imagine a more perfect celebration of everything Disney is at its best."

Originally based on The Snow Queen, and then less and less on the Snow Queen (the story by Hans Christian Andersen) until there's basically just a queen who can create snow, Frozen is about two sisters, the older of which possesses the power to control winter weather. She, for what appears to be quite understandable reasons, eventually embraces her power, which will soon lead to her nation's downfall as the cold seeps through to everyone and everything. Shame about that, because it's a pretty neat power, don't you agree? Unlike the original Snow Queen, this one is all human, just gifted. Unfortunately, it's only a gift if you're a fan of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Elsa, our "Snow Queen." She is voiced by Idina Menzel, who was apparently on Glee or something, but at least can actually sing really well. She was also apparently in a Wicked thing.

The film does look a little too much like Tangled in some respects, but the further they've come away from those original promos, the more you can see the particular style they were going for. There's a sharper edge to Frozen, which extends from the clothes to the architecture, where almost no straight edges could be found in Tangled.

Here's Anna, our Snow Queen's younger sister. Voiced by Kristen Bell, best known for Veronica Mars.

By all accounts, it's really a movie about these two sisters and their relationship. This makes it quite unusual by Disney Princess standards. Sure, Ariel had sisters--loads, really--but they never contributed in any real way. Cinderella had step-sisters, and the less said the better. (Note: Cinderella 3 is mostly about Anastasia, the red-head sister, and is another example of changing attitudes in princess films.) Generally speaking, the further back you go, the less substantial and flatter the relationships between female characters tended to be. For convenience, I'll blame men (:iamamfag:). Ha ha, seriously though, this film has a substantial female creative presence, including co-direction Jennifer Lee and Anna's lead animator, Becky Bresee.

These two are both princesses, and they're both joining the Disney Princess line simultaneously--the first time a single film has been represented by two. That said, they didn't try to approach it that way, they claim.

"We’re telling a story about family and relationships and that in itself can be very complicated. A lot of times what you perceive something to be isn't what it turns out to be – Elsa has to hide for her whole life who she is, even from her sister. That clearly affected her and made her into the character she is. Hopefully, if you look at the story through Elsa’s eyes, you’ll be able to understand what she does, or if you look at it through Anna’s eyes, you’ll be able to understand why she does what she does, but they’re all complicated relationships. We don’t think of it as a Princess movie. They happen to be Princesses, but we don’t think about it that way, so I always get a bit thrown when people talk about this. But I can say we want to make them really believable and not set them up on a pedestal. Our version of these characters should feel really real and be relatable to things you might go through in your life." -- Peter de Vecho

Anna is the younger sister, and as such won't be queen. Her sister is primed for that job--and in a way that rings slightly traditional for your standard Disney protagonist (but not Rapunzel)--there's sufficient parental death to lead to result in Elsa's coronation. Well, she does have to be a snow queen, right? Snow princess is a little far, even for them. However, Elsa's coronation also marks an argument with her sister over this fellow right here:

Prince Hans.

I won't say in what way. But yeah, it happens. As a side-note, his horse is a light draft breed, the Fjord horse, and they really do have manes like that. They're wonderful horses all-around :h:.

Elsa storms off (get it?) and makes her own castle, the one seen in the posters for the film. Anna feels something must be done. That's where these two come in:

Kristoff, reindeer aficionado, complete with one reindeer named Sven..

Olaf the living snowman, who years for "warm hugs" and summer, so we are told.

There hasn't been much talk of Kristoff, beyond that he's supposed to be Saami and it's as close to we get to a minority character (though they are a legitimate minority in Scandinavia). He's also set up to be Anna's "real" love interest, based on literally everything you see in the merchandise. Let me tell you, ignore the merchandise. It's spoiler-heavy (for example, they could have kept a lid on the Snow Queen being good... but eh, maybe that one's okay.) Disney just can't resist spoiling the poo poo out of everything with their merchandise, can they? Anyway there has, however, been shitloads of talk about Olaf, because look at that fucker.

Says everyone, prior to watching the movie? Apparently people love him! :psyduck:

I don't know what to expect, but I'm kind of scared by the notion I could enjoy a character who looks like this. I kind of want to beat the poo poo out of him, right now, and to great excess. Clips from the movie do not help his case, not a whit. But perhaps there's something I'm missing here. We shall see.

Anyway, this film is a return to form in terms of music. Yep, it's a musical. Disney has even released Let It Go, Elsa's primary song and the movie's Oscar bait, early. That's a link to the official Disney site.

Here's a list of who is singing what. Otherwise, it's Christophe Beck creating your conventional soundtrack. Well, I hear.

quote:

No. Title Performer(s) Length
1. "Frozen Heart" Cast of Frozen 1:45
2. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" Kristen Bell, Agatha Lee Monn, and Katie Lopez 3:27
3. "For the First Time in Forever" Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell 3:45
4. "Love is an Open Door" Kristen Bell and Santino Fontana 2:07
5. "Let It Go" Idina Menzel 3:44
6. "Reindeer(s) are Better Than People" Jonathan Groff 0:50
7. "In Summer" Josh Gad 1:54
8. "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)" Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell 2:30
9. "Fixer Upper" (featuring Maia Wilson) Cast of Frozen 3:02
10. "Let It Go" Demi Lovato 3:47
11. "Vuelie" (featuring Cantus) Christophe Beck 1:36
12. "Elsa and Anna" Christophe Beck 2:43
13. "The Trolls" Christophe Beck 1:48
14. "Coronation Day" Christophe Beck 1:14
15. "Heimr Arnadlr" Christophe Beck 1:25
16. "Winter's Waltz" Christophe Beck 1:00
17. "Sorcery" Christophe Beck 3:17
18. "Royal Pursuit" Christophe Beck 1:02
19. "Onward and Upward" Christophe Beck 1:54
20. "Wolves" Christophe Beck 1:44
21. "The North Mountain" Christophe Beck 1:34
22. "We Were So Close" Christophe Beck 1:53
23. "Marshmallow Attack!" Christophe Beck 1:43
24. "Conceal, Don't Feel" Christophe Beck 1:07
25. "Only an Act of True Love" Christophe Beck 1:07
26. "Summit Siege" Christophe Beck 2:32
27. "Return to Arendelle" Christophe Beck 1:38
28. "Treason" Christophe Beck 1:36
29. "Some People Are Worth Melting For" Christophe Beck 2:06
30. "Whiteout" Christophe Beck 4:17
31. "The Great Thaw (Vuelie Reprise)" (featuring Frode Fjellheim) Christophe Beck 2:29
32. "Epilogue" Christophe Beck 3:04
Total length:
1:03:40

This is the confirmed opening song, a Saami yoik:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYqQgOs65ho

Go see Frozen this Thanksgiving! I am PUMPED!

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Pick posted:

She is voiced by Iridia Menzel, who was apparently on Glee or something, but at least can actually sing really well.

Idona Menzel is a national treasure and I will not stand for this indignity.

My favorite recent Disney trend is their commitment to casting people who can sing in their musicals. Pocahontas was on TV not too long ago and I hated whenever the chief would sing and suddenly he's Pete from Goof Troop. The new influx of broadway talent is a fantastic development.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

General Ironicus posted:

Idona Menzel is a national treasure and I will not stand for this indignity.

My favorite recent Disney trend is their commitment to casting people who can sing in their musicals. Pocahontas was on TV not too long ago and I hated whenever the chief would sing and suddenly he's Pete from Goof Troop. The new influx of broadway talent is a fantastic development.

Oh god, yes. I still have issues with Nightmare Before Christmas, because as much as I love that movie, no one can keep Jack's voice straight.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey this actually seems like a pretty cool movie (see what I did there), as all I had seen so far was that loving abominable snowman. I really like movies and games that takes place in snowy places, it's all the good parts about snow (all pretty and bright) and none of the bad stuff (you know, really cold and wet) about the real thing that's going to start falling around here soon. The music seems pretty nice too, and I like Kristen Bell.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I hate that loving snowman.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

If it hadn't been for Tangled, I would be ferociously opposed to seeing this movie in theaters. I have family in town that really wants to go so I can tag along anyway without having to plan it, but Tangled looked awful in the trailers and ended up being amazing, so. The reviews are pretty encouraging too. Maybe it's just a general movement from negative to positive on this movie as a whole, but I also don't really feel inclined to draw visual parallels between Tangled and Frozen as much as I was initially. The snowman still looks obnoxious but I'm not expecting him to be the worst, and I do predict the 'reindeer is just like a dog!' thing will be annoying if left in.

We'll see!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

redcheval posted:

If it hadn't been for Tangled, I would be ferociously opposed to seeing this movie in theaters. I have family in town that really wants to go so I can tag along anyway without having to plan it, but Tangled looked awful in the trailers and ended up being amazing, so. The reviews are pretty encouraging too. Maybe it's just a general movement from negative to positive on this movie as a whole, but I also don't really feel inclined to draw visual parallels between Tangled and Frozen as much as I was initially. The snowman still looks obnoxious but I'm not expecting him to be the worst, and I do predict the 'reindeer is just like a dog!' thing will be annoying if left in.

We'll see!
The only I went into Tangled with was disappointment that it didn't end up being a tradigital movie like the original plan had been. For the completely screwy development process it went through it still ended up being really good.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012

redcheval posted:

Maybe it's just a general movement from negative to positive on this movie as a whole,

Absolutely not. The first trailer always featured footage not from the film and subsequent material would have been produced at a time when the film was already set in stone bar finishing the animation. (Actually the first trailer would also have been released at a time when the film was set in stone).

Anyway, I know early reviews tend to be more positive in general and I have had near unbroken faith in this film yet even I've been taken aback by the level of early acclaim it is receiving.

Qindarka fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 20, 2013

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I stand firm that even if I love Olaf's character, I will continue to hate his design.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I'll have to see it since reviews are surprisingly positive and now i'm curious.

That and I want to see the Mickey mouse short before it :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

The only I went into Tangled with was disappointment that it didn't end up being a tradigital movie like the original plan had been. For the completely screwy development process it went through it still ended up being really good.

Tangled was a movie that by all accounts--really all loving accounts--should have sucked from a story and technical point of view. It was nightmarish to work on and was often inches from being cancelled and/or totally rewritten. SIX. YEARS.

Then we got Tangled! :buddy:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Qindarka posted:

Absolutely not. The first trailer always featured footage not from the film and subsequent material would have been produced at a time when the film was already set in stone bar finishing the animation. (Actually the first trailer would also have been released at a time when the film was set in stone).

Anyway, I know early reviews tend to be more positive in general and I have had near unbroken faith in this film yet even I've been taken aback by the level of early acclaim it is receiving.

Mostly I meant the character design, which as far as I know hasn't really changed. But at some point along the way the female characters lost their striking resemblance to Rapunzel somehow.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssVnSg2jwUw

A snowball fight between sisters.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Pick posted:

Iridia Menzel
What the gently caress, you guys :mad:

I've been worried about this film since I saw the snowman, but learning that Idina Menzel is one of the leads and that it's gotten very positive reviews so far has got me a little excited. And that snowball fight clip above is pretty cute too.

v Yeah, this is even worse than the typo.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 20, 2013

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
For the record, she's best-known for Wicked, not Glee, too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LaughMyselfTo posted:

For the record, she's best-known for Wicked, not Glee, too.

Best known for Wicked, but was in the original Broadway cast of RENT (where she played the gently caress out of an obnoxious NYC Performance Artiste), as well as playing a small part in Enchanted (where she doesn't sing because what the gently caress Disney?)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When I saw the first trailers for this I was really excited. Now that I see there are princesses and stuff I have lost all enthusiasm. I was hoping the snowman was the main character.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

When I saw the first trailers for this I was really excited. Now that I see there are princesses and stuff I have lost all enthusiasm. I was hoping the snowman was the main character.

:stare: I see...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Urdnot Fire posted:

What the gently caress, you guys :mad:

I've been worried about this film since I saw the snowman, but learning that Idina Menzel is one of the leads and that it's gotten very positive reviews so far has got me a little excited. And that snowball fight clip above is pretty cute too.

Whoops, I actually knew that, I don't know why I hosed it up. Fixed!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thank you for using the good posters.

Seriously. La Reine des Neiges. :swoon:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I actually was going to post a big what the gently caress about Idina Menzel being disrespected in the OP but I see several people beat me to it.

I'd also like to express my dismay that no one posted the Frozen short that was released in the spring featuring Olaf the snowman and aaaaa moose? I guess? Anyways it's hilarious and sold me on this film before I even knew what it was about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have nothing against her, I just have no idea really who she is, other than someone other people are aware of :shrug:. I never saw Veronica Mars, either, so Bell didn't mean anything to me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

And she is married to Taye Diggs!!

But really, she's absurdly talented and some people need to expand their worlds to include more really good poo poo like Idina Menzel because not only can she sing her rear end off, she also seems like one of the nicest people on Earth.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, judging from the song at least she's definitely very, very good, and as the first response noted, I strongly approve of casting people based on talent and not purely name (notably when singing's involved).

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I highly recommend at least taking a listen to the Wicked soundtrack, her voice is amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really curious to hear more about this. Tangled looked a lot worse than it was from the initial trailers and I found that a lot of Brave's reviews leaned on "generic princess story" when it really wasn't, so seeing this get really positive reviews has me pretty curious. My little sister loves Tangled/Princess and the Frog/Brave and so I'd love it if this was another film I could take her to and both of us could enjoy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Olaf really puts me off, but so did Ray in The Princess and the Frog, and he actually was a pretty good character.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

Olaf really puts me off, but so did Ray in The Princess and the Frog, and he actually was a pretty good character.

That's a good point. Everyone hated Ray until the actual film, and in the end he wasn't so bad.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

That's a good point. Everyone hated Ray until the actual film, and in the end he wasn't so bad.

I hated Ray with a passion. Maybe I'm a Grinch. :(

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Ray pissed me off so much in all the previews. "DUN MAKE ME LIGHT MY BUTT" was something I wanted to see written out of history.

Then I saw the film, and he made me cry. So, I'm willing to give Olaf a chance. Plus it's Josh Gad, who's a cool dude.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I hated Ray with a passion. Maybe I'm a Grinch. :(

He seems out of style with the others, although Mama Odie is the worst in that respect. They reaaaally needed to have a more uniformed aesthetic.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I haven't read anything up on this, but was going to give it a chance because of Tangled. Now I find out it's a musical starring Idina Menzel and I'm excited.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Loved Tangled, so my expectations are pretty high for this one. That opening song is so pretty :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't pay any attention to Disney movies, but I got really excited when you mentioned it started out as an adaptation of The Snow Queen, then slightly disappointed to hear that they moved away from that.

Still, I liked Tangled, so why not?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't pay any attention to Disney movies, but I got really excited when you mentioned it started out as an adaptation of The Snow Queen, then slightly disappointed to hear that they moved away from that.

Still, I liked Tangled, so why not?

From the things I've seen and heard, the ways they moved away are going to rock many a sock.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Just tell me they kept some analogue of the robber girl.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just tell me they kept some analogue of the robber girl.

Kristoff.

mousku
Jun 2, 2011

Pick posted:

Kristoff.

I think Kristoff is actually the robber girl's reindeer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sven is the reindeer :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Ray thing is exactly why I'm not going to judge Olaf till I see the movie, and I wish others were doing the same instead of shooting lava out of their mouths in anger at his design. Ray ended up being a really loveable character who of course had the really sad death scene. And jesus you even hear him getting crunched by the villain stepping on him.. Olaf's song is on youtube and it's not bad.

But even then I don't think his design is that bad and I think Josh Gad is awesome so V:shobon:V

The reviews coming out are also all saying they loved Olaf so that makes me hopeful as well.

• Locked thread