Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

aslan posted:

So when Disney was floundering in the '80s and looking back to capture the original magic, they started looking back to "what Walt would have done" and picked that.

Excellent choice of word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."
I'm already booked to see FROZEN opening night! Almost unreasonably excited. I think the reason I'm such a Disney fan is that so many movies of theirs have managed to consistently recreate the joyous feeling of being a kid in a movie theatre. This counts for Pixar as well.

Day after tomorrow! YES!

If any of you an unsure about Josh Gad's comedic timing, by the way, listen to a couple of his songs from THE BOOK OF MORMON. He's not afraid to make his voice sound weird for comedic effect.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

For some reason, I get a very Gurgi-esque vibe from Olaf.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I was worried about this movie but the positive reviews are allaying those. I'm trying to get a group together to go see it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a ticket for the first available showing :toot:.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Pick posted:

I have a ticket for the first available showing :toot:.

:hfive: I'm seeing it in 3D with my gal pal right after work. I feel extra magical - my theatre has a fire-breathing dragon in it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Great movie. Even the snow man was fun - embraced the creepiness of being a living snow man. And the reindeer is pretty low-key, mostly used for some sight gags and some elaboration of what a loving backwoods weirdo Kristoff is (as described in a later song, their relationship "is not quite by nature's laws" - really). The main characters' designs are all pretty meh/lookalike but you knew that already. Some of the songs are wonderful (esp. the snow queen's solo song and the duet between her and her sister at the ice castle- lines like "I am alone/But I am free"). And of course the climax is a spectacular choice compared to where it could have gone. The climax made some of the grown adults in my audience clap and wave their hands. Some ungrateful little poo poo (aka the target demographic) started whining "I want to go home" in the middle of the movie and her parents made her stay so they could finish watching. A+ parenting.

There is an absolutely psychotic Mickey Mouse short ahead of it, and a bunch of trailers (Rio 2) that will make you want to die.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 27, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Back from Frozen! The short of it is, I really liked it. I'll write more about it some later time. Some spoiler thoughts for now:

No villain song?! There wasn't space for it, but I kept waiting for it and that threw me off.

Wow it's weird the Disney store sells the Hans dolls next to the other protagonists. You could kind of tell from the merch he'd be evil, though, since otherwise the character sets didn't include the villain which would have been seriously odd.

The scenery with the frozen ships was awesome!

Olaf didn't bother me! ... but the trolls did. The trolls were what I thought Olaf would be. Olaf doesn't really do much though, he's clearly just a facilitating character.

Loved Elsa and Anna, and holy poo poo "Do you want to build a snowman?" gets really loving sad for a song that starts off upbeat :stare:.

Right way to end it, loved the Hans reveal and the true love reveal. I think though they didn't make it quite clear enough that an "act of true love" is something you DO and not RECEIVE as opposed to it just being the right combo.

Awww, he asked if he could kiss her :3:. Perfect.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Pick posted:

Back from Frozen! The short of it is, I really liked it. I'll write more about it some later time. Some spoiler thoughts for now:

No villain song?! There wasn't space for it, but I kept waiting for it and that threw me off.

Wow it's weird the Disney store sells the Hans dolls next to the other protagonists. You could kind of tell from the merch he'd be evil, though, since otherwise the character sets didn't include the villain which would have been seriously odd.

The scenery with the frozen ships was awesome!

Olaf didn't bother me! ... but the trolls did. The trolls were what I thought Olaf would be. Olaf doesn't really do much though, he's clearly just a facilitating character.

Loved Elsa and Anna, and holy poo poo "Do you want to build a snowman?" gets really loving sad for a song that starts off upbeat :stare:.

Right way to end it, loved the Hans reveal and the true love reveal. I think though they didn't make it quite clear enough that an "act of true love" is something you DO and not RECEIVE as opposed to it just being the right combo.

Awww, he asked if he could kiss her :3:. Perfect.

Hans was revealed as the villain way too late in the movie. I guess he could have sung a song to Anna while she lay there dying but it would have been a little weird.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd argue it was not too late at all. He's too evil to be allowed to be a threat for too long. He adds a really sinister overtone to the film. It's better that it was mostly that decoy dork. I mean, Hans loving locks Anna in a room to freeze to death and tries to execute Elsa with his sword. He is one of the most hands-on heartless fucks Disney's provided, ever.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Imagine using technology from "Paper Man" to animate the film like this :allears: Please hurry and perfect the technique, Disney!

I am also pleased to see details like the Fjord horse and Saami culture. I'm always a fan of specific time/place/cultural details as opposed generic one-size-fits-all fantasy settings, especially when you have the availability of such visually unique sources to draw on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Crowd scenes of dignitaries from other lands also include a number of unique PoCs.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Crisco Kid posted:

I am also pleased to see details like the Fjord horse and Saami culture. I'm always a fan of specific time/place/cultural details as opposed generic one-size-fits-all fantasy settings, especially when you have the availability of such visually unique sources to draw on.

Just this week they opened a small gallery in the Norway pavilion in EPCOT with a selection of artifacts that inspired the production design. Great idea and it'd be neat to see Disney do something similar for other films in the other countries.

And it's time for me to avoid this thread until I can get a group to see it.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Crisco Kid posted:

Imagine using technology from "Paper Man" to animate the film like this :allears: Please hurry and perfect the technique, Disney!

I want this so, so badly. That short was super beautiful, really unique, and it seems like a nice compromise between 3d and traditional animation.

Anyways, I'm really glad Frozen apparently turned out so good. Awful marketing strikes again, much like so many other amazing animated movies recently. Can't wait to take my niece and nephew to see it. For those of you who saw it in 3d/are seeing it in 3d soon, let us know if it's worth it or if it's just sort of blah and there like 3d often is.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Pick posted:

Not a villain song in the traditional sense, but Love Is An Open Door was half of a villain song. :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
By the way how was the Mickey Mouse short? It looks awesome

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

loving incredible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

It was psychotic, in a good way. They were straight-up channeling Loony Toons, but with Mickey.

Frozen itself was incredible. Good story, good songs, good characters. It's just good.

I don't see anyone talking about how goddamned good this movie looks. It's a gorgeous movie. Absolutely gorgeous.

The prettiest scene in Tangled is the flying lanterns. Well, let me tell you, three quarters of Frozen looks better than that. Maybe more.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Pick posted:

I'd argue it was not too late at all. He's too evil to be allowed to be a threat for too long. He adds a really sinister overtone to the film. It's better that it was mostly that decoy dork. I mean, Hans loving locks Anna in a room to freeze to death and tries to execute Elsa with his sword. He is one of the most hands-on heartless fucks Disney's provided, ever.
And you know, this was one of the times that Disney really surprised me. Nothing about him really gave away his evil beforehand - not his voice actor, not his character design (except maybe that he's a ginger?), not his merchandising - he's on the drat poster! Smiling! Like a happy non-evil person! Looking at the poster, I kept thinking, "Oh, two official Disney princesses, of *course* they both get dudes at the end." And as Anna and Kristoff got cozy, I assumed he'd either get Elsa or be James Marsden'd. People literally gasped when he turned on Anna.

I also loved that the villain is an ordinary dude with a sword. It fits into the theme so well - everyone is prepared to think the worst of Elsa because of her magic, they all assume that her magic will just naturally turn her evil, where the real villain is just a shitful person with a can-do attitude. It's similar to what I enjoyed about Tangled, where Mother Gothel is just a terrible mother with a knife who's managed to connive immortality out of a teenage girl with the phenomenal, cosmic power of Emotional Manipulation.

I LOVED a lot of the songs. I was a little put off at first as the music sounded much more like pop music than Broadway music and it seemed to stick out more. But when you think about it, objectively Broadway music has no loving place in THE loving OCEAN or THE AFRICAN SAHARA or ANCIENT CHINA either, but Broadway itself (as well as Disney) has already conditioned me to accept it in just about any situation. "Let It Go" is AMAZING. It blows so many other "I Want" songs out of the water. "Cold never bothered me anyway" - Bad. rear end.

Josh Gad was 100% less annoying that I was expecting him to be. And yeah, the trolls were a bit "eh," but since they were in the movie exactly TWO times to give out absolutely terrible advice each time I didn't mind.

I was also really impressed with how much i empathized with Elsa's situation (even if I still don't really understand why they had to remove Anna's memories?). "Conceal, don't feel." :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AnimeJune posted:

I also loved that the villain is an ordinary dude with a sword. It fits into the theme so well - everyone is prepared to think the worst of Elsa because of her magic, they all assume that her magic will just naturally turn her evil, where the real villain is just a shitful person with a can-do attitude. It's similar to what I enjoyed about Tangled, where Mother Gothel is just a terrible mother with a knife who's managed to connive immortality out of a teenage girl with the phenomenal, cosmic power of Emotional Manipulation.

I'm still laughing about the merchandising. But they must have HAD to have him on stuff, or it'd give away the twist. And it was a loving great, great twist. I mean, that kiss moment? That was pure loving hardcore evil, definitely comparable to or even crueler than Goethel. At least with Goethel the goal was "stay alive" not "be more rich and pampered than the rich and pampered I already was."

I'd argue the only thing that gives him away is his muttonchops. Also I think everyone thought he'd end up with Elsa, since it's so thoroughly telegraphed that Kristoff and Anna will end up together. Can I mention I really like Kristoff? I was worried when they were making noise about Anna falling in love with kind of a poo poo, but he's really not, and his design is totally cute :3:.

quote:

I LOVED a lot of the songs. I was a little put off at first as the music sounded much more like pop music than Broadway music and it seemed to stick out more. But when you think about it, objectively Broadway music has no loving place in THE loving OCEAN or THE AFRICAN SAHARA or ANCIENT CHINA either, but Broadway itself (as well as Disney) has already conditioned me to accept it in just about any situation. "Let It Go" is AMAZING. It blows so many other "I Want" songs out of the water. "Cold never bothered me anyway" - Bad. rear end.

I was also really impressed with how much i empathized with Elsa's situation (even if I still don't really understand why they had to remove Anna's memories?). "Conceal, don't feel." :(
If "Let it Go" doesn't get the Oscar the world is mad and stupid, because it's an A-class perfect song. I didn't quite like how the movie ended with the last line since it felt a little overly smug, but that is such a minor quibble.

Elsa is a sad and tragic character the whole film and it never really lets up. I thought at one point she'd go even kind-of evil. No, she really doesn't, she's trying to run away the entire time.

By the way, thank Jennifer Lee for the screenplay and for co-directing, and for Becky Bresee for animating Anna. Anna was animated insanely well, don't you think? (Yes, you think so, if you are smart.)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Pick posted:

I just meant too late for a musical number. :)

And yes, my crowd also gasped when Hans doublecrossed Anna.

Macaluso posted:

My friend and I both thought it was insane/disturbing. Not in a good way, really. By the end it was kind of a torment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, it went waaaaayy too far. But it seemed very authentic to that Disney era.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Missing from the OP is that Robert Lopez and his wife composed the music and lyrics. You might not know who he is but I'm pretty certain you know his other musicals, Book of Mormon and Avenue Q.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Hell, just a little solo reprise of a duet would have been nice.

Love was my open door
But
I don't need you any more
So
Now you've seen what you're for
Goodbye
Now die-
Love's just an open door!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Can I get spoilers on horrors of the Mickey cartoon? I'm an impatient twat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Can I get spoilers on horrors of the Mickey cartoon? I'm an impatient twat.

Pete gets the everloving poo poo beaten out of him like crazy, over and over, a lot.

Also it looks sort of like a video game boss battle in parts.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Cloche posted:

I want this so, so badly. That short was super beautiful, really unique, and it seems like a nice compromise between 3d and traditional animation.

Don't CGI films take something like four years to make? We probably won't see a full-length film done in that style until around 2017/2018 at the earliest, which sucks, but I'm sure someone will try to make one. That animation technique is way too good to ignore.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Pick posted:

If "Let it Go" doesn't get the Oscar the world is mad and stupid, because it's an A-class perfect song. I didn't quite like how the movie ended with the last line since it felt a little overly smug, but that is such a minor quibble.
Agreed. And if Idina Menzel doesn't get to perform it live at the Oscars, the world is even madder and stupider. As a kid, my absolute favourite part of the watching the Oscars was watching them perform the Disney songs live. But over the last decade, the Academy has given fewer and fewer fucks about awarding and presenting the Best Song Oscar, but that may also be because fewer songwriters are writing original songs for movies that aren't musicals.

Although let's be fair, in the 90s they just handed the Oscars over to Alan Menken on a conveyor belt. Each one deserved, but still.

Despite my HUGE bias for Menken, I really enjoyed the songs in this one and loved the humour.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed this movie, it was great. The entire Let it Go musical sequence and animation was awesome and for me a highlight. Until that sequence I felt like it would have been better as a more traditionally animated movie. I love that it was the sister's true love that saved the day.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
No villain song? :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

AnimeJune posted:

As a kid, my absolute favourite part of the watching the Oscars was watching them perform the Disney songs live.

I :swoon:'d so hard a few years ago when Mandy Moore and Zachery Levi came out and did a duet of See The Light at the Oscars

CelestialScribe posted:

No villain song? :(

I haven't seen it yet, but as far as I understand there isn't really a real "villain" I think? Confirm/deny peeps

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Macaluso posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but as far as I understand there isn't really a real "villain" I think? Confirm/deny peeps

There is no real way to answer this without massive spoilers.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Apparently the soundtrack also has a version of "Let It Go" by Demi Lovato, and while I have nothing against Demi, putting her in a spot to be compared to Idina friggin' Menzel seems just unfair.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

Apparently the soundtrack also has a version of "Let It Go" by Demi Lovato, and while I have nothing against Demi, putting her in a spot to be compared to Idina friggin' Menzel seems just unfair.

I agree. I was looking for Idina's version on you tube and was disappointed to find a lot of Demi's. I don't quite get why there's that version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLHP7KgZuoI Here's a version by Idina.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The whole soundtrack is available on Spotify now. Which caused me to go and listen to "Defying Gravity", and... I actually think "Let It Go" is better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Let It Go is a phenomenal song.

Also, don't spend the film waiting for a villain who is a person. Think of villainy as bigger-picture.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just saw this with my folks. Maybe I wasn't expecting too much (RottenTomatoes said it was Fresh, so I was expecting something decent at least), but it really is the winner of the 'Best Movie with a Completely Terrible Marketing Campaign that is Not Representative of the Movie Itself' award. Even Oleg, the 'Your kids will have you buy all my merch' character was good!

Like most everyone here, I already figured that Hans and Anna were not the endgame couple, but I did not see the Hans heel turn coming (figured he would end up with Elsa).

Just a great movie all around!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 29, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

Like most everyone here, I already figured that Hans and Anna were not the endgame couple, but I did not see the Hans heel turn coming (figured he would end up with Elsa).

Just a great movie all around!

I think that's what made the twist so good. You were expecting a twist, just not that one. (Both act 3 twists are twists on expected twists.)

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 29, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Came back from seeing it. Over all pretty good. The songs REALLY made this film work. It kind of made me wish Disney tried to do what Les Miserables does. And Let it Go is freaking amazing. Elsa's design was just GORGEOUS. So much so that I wish there was more of her in the movie.

Just wanted to say this though: Fixer Upper is the worst song Disney ever made. Off the top of my head I can't think of something worse. This almost ruined the movie for me.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Just saw this, and just like Tangles was wary about the trailers only to be very impressed with the film itself. The best way to describe it is the visual style of Tangled and the musical structure of the Lion King telling a Disney version of The Snow Queen.

(cameo spoilers)Finn and Rapunzel showed up to the coronation!

And I will listen to Let It Go until I hear it in my sleep.

• Locked thread