Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Something Positive posted:

Loved this movie, though "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?", along with Olaf's cheery optimism, reminded me of a song from another musical (slight spoilers for Cannibal! The Musical):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ1ZOFNBL68

Oh, great minds thing alike! I kept having the same thought, and I couldn't share it because I'm the only one who's seen "Cannibal."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

They brought in a load of snow for the kids to play in the movie courtyard with (in Arizona) it was really neat. Snowball fights in shorts!

I liked this movie. Olaf was pretty drat funny (he was too relaxed about everything to dislike) even though I hated his character design, so that was a pleasant surprise. Kristoff's talking FOR Sven was genius. And the visual gags were top notch.

I think Tangled was an overall better movie and a lot of the songs in Frozen... kind of fell flat for me, (too much pop-influence.) But I really liked Frozen's message and the sisters and "Let It Go" was amazing. I wish more of the music had been similar to the opening chanting and the Ice Miners, and the Troll song didn't need to exist at all. There was already a love song, and it did it's job perfectly well.

But seriously, the visual gags in this movie. Anna's frozen dress after she fell in the river had me in stitches and everything about the sled chase, especially the fact that it exploded at the end.

All in all, a very solid movie (I liked it a lot more than Brave!) with a good message and some great jokes. I did really like how Anna learned from her own klutziness too, like using the bent tree on the ice giant, after she'd hit herself with a similar one earlier.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So a pretty bad animation mistake was discovered in the Let It Go song:

As you can see, her hair phases right through her arm.

I am pretty surprised a mistake like this happened on the big show stopping nuber, but it's pretty funny seeing people on tumblr absolutely losing their minds at how evil Disney is for allowing something like this to happen. As if there aren't animation mistakes in their other movies.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

I am pretty surprised a mistake like this happened on the big show stopping nuber, but it's pretty funny seeing people on tumblr absolutely losing their minds at how evil Disney is for allowing something like this to happen. As if there aren't animation mistakes in their other movies.

At least it's kind of obscured so you don't notice it. In Monster's Inc. Sully's horns, just after he has put Boo to sleep in his bed, phase through the ceiling in full view.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

It's not a mistake, it's a decision. In Toy Story, Buzz clips through the Hot Wheels track by necessity. They cut away for the one second he does so, but the animators were aware it happens and chose for it to happen anyway. Similarly, the reason Elsa is viewed from that perspective is to hide the clipping while allowing the hair to follow that artistic track (she actually turns away so this can happen, then turns back). The strength of animation is that it allows art to triumph over physics. You don't have to play by the rules. The traditional Disney eyes, for example, aren't consistent between 3/4 and frontal view. They don't care. It's not what they're trying to do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
That and who wants re render that poo poo. We got money to make.

Also Olaf is a terrible character that's a given though i appreciated the absurdity of a snowman wanting to play in the Summer even if i didnt care for the song that much. Or most of the songs anyway. But I wasnt too crazy about the trolls either. Walking deus ex machinas and just out of place with the world

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a similar clipping event during a crowd scene in Cars which I think was a genuine mistake. Raise your hand if you remember it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I liked Olaf. He was voiced by The Bearclaw, and you can't hate the bearclaw.

His character also got two of the biggest laughs in my theater and everyone seemed amused every time he was on screen.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Macaluso posted:

The fact that she turns to obscure it happening = it's intentional. They wanted to keep the pace/arc of her movement and still have her able to do that braid pull at the end.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

It's not a mistake, it's a decision. In Toy Story, Buzz clips through the Hot Wheels track by necessity. They cut away for the one second he does so, but the animators were aware it happens and chose for it to happen anyway. Similarly, the reason Elsa is viewed from that perspective is to hide the clipping while allowing the hair to follow that artistic track (she actually turns away so this can happen, then turns back). The strength of animation is that it allows art to triumph over physics. You don't have to play by the rules. The traditional Disney eyes, for example, aren't consistent between 3/4 and frontal view. They don't care. It's not what they're trying to do.

Another one like this is that, in Monsters Inc., Randall's arms are too short to reach the faucet knobs in the bathroom/locker room. So, when this happens (it's when Sully and Boo are hiding in the stall) we see him from the back so we don't see that his arms are longer. (Now that I think about it, they reuse a lot of sets in that movie).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Interesting! I didn't know that.

In Rango, the snake is occasionally animated as two separate pieces for the same reason.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This movie loving rocked.

One thing that I thought was going to happen was that when Elsa was fleeing the castle and Kristof was running back to save Anna, I was sure that they would run into each other and Something Important would happen. I honestly have no idea what I thought was going to happen, but still.

Can't wait to get the soundtrack.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Anyone getting upset about that hair thing is the nitpickiest motherfucker to ever pick a nit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Elsa's a ghost, this is the way the filmmakers are communicating that to us, she actually died in the cold because an autistic child woke up.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Another thing that I totally guessed wrong: When Elsa hits Anna in the heart with ice, I thought for a moment that she was going to "freeze" Anna's heart and turn her into the villain of the film. Now THAT would've been awesome.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

surf rock posted:

Another thing that I totally guessed wrong: When Elsa hits Anna in the heart with ice, I thought for a moment that she was going to "freeze" Anna's heart and turn her into the villain of the film. Now THAT would've been awesome.

I didn't expect that, but I did expect Anna to gradually lose her ability to empathize until she was healed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vargo posted:

Anyone getting upset about that hair thing is the nitpickiest motherfucker to ever pick a nit.

Yeah I don't think it's too big a deal (if it is a mistake, Pick & Co are making me think it's intentional) I was mostly posting my amusement at the outrage people on Tumblr are having about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I don't think it's too big a deal (if it is a mistake, Pick & Co are making me think it's intentional) I was mostly posting my amusement at the outrage people on Tumblr are having about it.

Yeah, sorry I was a huge bitch about it here, I'm just annoyed because it's all over Tumblr at the mo'. I really need to avoid that webshite.

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007

Pick posted:

Yeah, sorry I was a huge bitch about it here, I'm just annoyed because it's all over Tumblr at the mo'. I really need to avoid that webshite.

I don't think they actually care about the error itself. Tumblr SJWs are still pissed about Frozen lacking diversity, but since it ended up being a good/successful movie anyway, most other people could enjoy the movie despite that. So I think nitpicking about this stupid thing is just a way for them to try convince everyone that Frozen is a bad movie for other reasons too. Or at least I haven't seen anyone reblog that error who hasn't also reblogged/made posts raging about how Elsa isn't black or whatever.

I haven't seen the movie yet and might not be able to this month, but it sounds promising from what I've read here. I generally like the direction Disney's been going with their movies in recent years.

Mumbly fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 9, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Corek posted:

(Now that I think about it, they reuse a lot of sets in that movie).
There was a lot reuse of sets in all early Pixar movies. The jump in sets from Finding Nemo to The Incredibles was astounding.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Loved it. I'm so glad they uploaded Let It Go on Youtube, what a great piece of animation AND song.

I am sad they didn't use Jonathon Groff's singing voice more. Although the human/reindeer was cute, it was short.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm also glad they uploaded Let it Go because I was gonna pay full price to see that again.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

That little beat they got going at 1:28 - 1:45 in the Let it go clip is the best part for me, its just genuinely happy, makes me remember all the great movies and songs i've seen from Disney throughout the 90s

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Frozen was #1 this weekend. :toot: $31.64M for the weekend, $134.28M total domestic, compared to Tangled's $96.57M over the same period.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hopefully this will be a good springboard for Jennifer Lee to get more projects.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Hopefully a springboard for more scrapped Disney ideas to come back.

Still waitin on that Rumplestilskin movie :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I need to go see this again and on as big a screen as I can manage. Unfortunately the local theaters were showing the Hunger Games one on their bigger screens.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Watched this last night and thought it was lovely, though flawed in places--count me among those who hated the "Fixer Upper" song.

I just wanted to say that Kristoff is my goddamn boy, though. He's so goddamn grouchy. It's amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do think Kristoff is cute in the right kind of way for Anna. In the original draft of Rapunzel, Flynn was kind of gross-looking and it didn't really work for me. A handsome schiester seemed like the right way to go.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Yeah, the early designs for Flynn are really funny. In some of them he looks just like a cartoon Jack Black, which definitely doesn't work for that character but I could see it being sort of an endearing design for something else. Going farther back, the earliest Tangled ideas were really, really odd though. I swear I remember seeing a weird piece of concept art that involved a modern-day couple screaming at each other, the lady with her hair in rollers and the dude with a big gut and beer can, and the story involved them being transported in a Rapunzel storybook or something? Someone tell me I'm not crazy here and that actually exists.

I really like Kristoff because he has such a distinct look in his face and build in a genre where a lot of characters have a bad case of the samefaces. Prince Hans was pretty adorable, to the point where my eight year old niece even whispered that he was the cutest movie princess guy ever right after that song with him and Anna. :3: Her reaction to the way everything happened with him was pretty hilarious.

Also I'm a bit late on the tumblrtalk but I make it a point to avoid tumblr stuff that has anything to do with media I like and I'm happier for it. Fandom is pretty much the worst thing and the occasional cool piece of fanart or observation isn't worth wading through the gross stuff or endless, inane whining and nitpicks. Sometimes it's enough to even drag my love of the associated media down by association and that sucks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cloche posted:

Yeah, the early designs for Flynn are really funny. In some of them he looks just like a cartoon Jack Black, which definitely doesn't work for that character but I could see it being sort of an endearing design for something else. Going farther back, the earliest Tangled ideas were really, really odd though. I swear I remember seeing a weird piece of concept art that involved a modern-day couple screaming at each other, the lady with her hair in rollers and the dude with a big gut and beer can, and the story involved them being transported in a Rapunzel storybook or something? Someone tell me I'm not crazy here and that actually exists.

Yeah, originally it was going to be a metaphor for a real-world couple, and then not metaphorical but now a transport to fantasyland, and then over time that idea was just completely abandoned. It sounded like they had a lot of trouble getting something good together. The Frozen artbook talks about how sometimes it's nice when you end up with a big, bad, dark deadline because you are never allowed to lose sight of your foundation, whereas a long development cycle can sometimes take you further away from your story than you wanted to go.

I tend to think of these films as if I were a creator, not a "fan" (though I am a fan, not a creator), and I think that's why some of the fandom stuff bothers me so much. My immediate thought is thinking about the criticism from the builder's standpoint, and often when you think that way you realize the makers were doing the best they could under the circumstances.

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 9, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I recently got in an internet screaming match with someone who refused to see the movie on the basis of lazy hair animation and clipping, shoehorning male characters into the story and making it less about women, and being angry because it's not a faithful adaptation of The Snow Queen, and it's frustrating, because I know that if this person just went in to see the movie, they would absolutely adore it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I recently got in an internet screaming match with someone who refused to see the movie on the basis of lazy hair animation and clipping, shoehorning male characters into the story and making it less about women, and being angry because it's not a faithful adaptation of The Snow Queen, and it's frustrating, because I know that if this person just went in to see the movie, they would absolutely adore it.

They want to hate it. Their hate is their enjoyment. That's a lovely way to live life and they're worse off than if they went and just enjoyed a movie that is absolutely more female-power than the original tale, which almost no one has read. I have, by the way. It's really dull.

Same as the people who refused to see Tangled because she's barefoot with a frying pan on the poster, therefore supporting that women remain "barefoot and pregnant". Yes, that's definitely what Tangled is about. :jerkbag:

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Crappy Jack posted:

What? I thought the story was pretty squarely focused on the sisters. Does this person expect Disney to forgo it's tried-and-true formula around romantic plots? Did they expect Disney to make Elsa and Anna lesbians? That's not a fair and realistic expectation.

Sincere, curious, non-snide question: is this person on the autism spectrum? The only folks I know who get really, really angry about continuity and animation errors (as well as notice them in the first place) tend to be on the spectrum.

Or, is this a matter of someone just trying to get attention and/or trying to prove their ideological purity by being "angrier-than-thou?"

I just don't get these objections.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 9, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pick posted:

They want to hate it. Their hate is their enjoyment. That's a lovely way to live life and they're worse off than if they went and just enjoyed a movie that is absolutely more female-power than the original tale, which almost no one has read. I have, by the way. It's really dull.

I have to wonder how many of the people bitching about the Robber Girl getting turned into Kristoff even know how small a part the original character even played in The Snow Queen.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
So, Pick, it's basically....

(The Our Valued Customers comic, incidentally, is a fascinating treasure trove of nerd quotes. A definite must-read.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

What? I thought the story was pretty squarely focused on the sisters. Does this person expect Disney to forgo it's tried-and-true formula around romantic plots? Did they expect Disney to make Elsa and Anna lesbians? That's not a fair and realistic expectation.

Sincere, curious, non-snide question: is this person on the autism spectrum? The only folks I know who get really, really angry about continuity and animation errors (as well as notice them in the first place) tend to be on the spectrum.

Or, is this a matter of someone just trying to get attention and/or trying to prove their ideological purity by being "angrier-than-thou?"

I just don't get these objections.

Yeah, basically just trying to take a stand against Disney Princess stuff and not realizing that this movie actually does a pretty darn good job of avoiding those trappings. Aha! The characters look like Rapunzel! Lazy! Aha! They took a female centered fairytale and now there are guys on the poster! Anti-feminist!

Now, granted, a lot of kid's movies are pretty lazy and a lot of women in movies are terrible underdeveloped characters, so I can't blame folks for assuming the worst here, but at some point it helps to view the thing for yourself through your own critical lens.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I love the idea that anything could be adapted from Hans Christian Andersen and be MORE hurtful to girls and women. It's like they've never read any of his creepy poo poo about how any deviation from the Madonna state is instant damnation and restriction.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Who'd think that a deeply-closeted bisexual lifelong virgin could write so many downers about lovelorn people dying horribly and turning into sea foam? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
poo poo like The Girl in The Red Shoes and The Girl who Trod on the Loaf have nothing to do with love and everything to do with punishment. Dude is not what we should be holding to strictly when making entertainment in this century.

• Locked thread