Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
edit: Here's a collection of all the art submitted by goons in the last PYF Art thread. There's an amazing variety of stuff in there, so please take the time to look through it!

N. Senada posted:

It should be a rule to publish the artist and title with the picture. I know it's only a google image search away, but it's also not that hard to addendum your post.

The Piazzetta, Venice - J.M.W. Turner

Prague Easter - John Bellany

The Kiss - Auguste Rodin

Also gonna repost an amazing effortpost (can't remember the poster, sorry!) from the last thread about Franz Marc's Tierschicksale:

quote:

"It is like a premonition of this war, horrible and gripping. I can hardly believe I painted it! But in the blurred photograph it appears incomprehensibly real, giving me the most uncanny feeling. Yet it is artistically rational to paint such a picture before the war, and not simply as a dumb memory after it is all over. That is the time to be painting formative pictures symbolic of the future."

I wrote a ~14 page paper about this painting for an Art History class. I initially picked it because I liked the look, but after digging into it, I found it so compelling that I had absolutely no trouble meeting the 12+ page limit that I'd been terrified of. I might as well dust off that paper and give a shot at explaining it again!

BRACE YOURSELVES, EFFORTPOST IMMINENT

The first thing you might notice when looking at the painting are the chaotic masses of shapes and colors coalescing into animals and vague figures as your eye wanders the image. That sense of world-ending chaos is very important to keep in mind. On the far right, that weird blob of discoloration is the result of the painting being damaged in a fire, and restoration occurring after Marc's death.

To summarize the image from the top left and going counterclockwise:

Streaks of red rain down in a blue sky, hurtling toward earth like flames to strike the forest scene below. Directly underneath them are a pair of green horses. The horses are panicking, and one has a triangular white blotch on its flank with red veins showing - incidentally, the painting's working title was The Trees Show Their Rings, The Animals Their Veins. Check the position of the wound compared to the stark white rings of the tree trunk in front of the other horse, and how much the red wood looks like blood gushing out. A sea of red separates the horses from two boars, one seeming to shelter the other from the destruction with its body as they wait for the end. Next to them is the centerpiece of the painting, a blue deer being struck in the throat with a ray of red that goes straight through it, as it bares itself to a falling tree about to crush it. The landscape seems to become a weapon that severs trees in the burnt portion, and a small group of animals whose identities are unclear - I side with foxes, some people say deer - hide and look curiously at the firestorms above.

Something very important to analyzing Tierschicksale is the evolution of Marc's art over the shockingly few years he spent actively painting. This painting from 1910 was one of his many, many studies of horses:

And this from 1912 (note its use of blue and red and the body language of the two horses; I'll be coming back to this one):

By 1913 and Tierschicksale, he was painting full-on expressionist paintings and was showing no signs of slowing down by the time he was drafted. To summarize a lot, he started out drawing anatomical pictures of horses and his artistic method evolved from there, before settling on his uses of colors. To massively simplify what he described in a few letters, blue was the color of spirituality, thought, and masculinity, yellow was gentle, cheery, femininity, and red was rage, physicality, and "base matter." Go back and check out that domineering, enraged red horse threatening the reserved and thoughtful blue horse. He painted only animals for a long time because he was a big fan of the idea that nature was inherently purer, cleaner, and more wholesome than mankind, but his view changed by the time Tierschicksale came around. He "suddenly became aware of the ugliness, the impurity of nature" after his experimentations with abstract form, and adopted the extremely pre-WWI German idea that a giant war to burn away the filth of the world was just what Europe needed to grow back better and stronger. Industrialized warfare delivered its counterpoint to him on the wings of the grenade that killed him in a trench in Verdun.

Now, back from that (abbreviated) tangent, we can look at the use of animals and colors in Tierschicksale. The blue deer is spirituality sacrificing itself to the destruction of/by nature, embodied by the "comforting" yellow of the tree lessening the blow. The deer is the world offering itself to destructive sacrifice. This sacrifice shields the red boars, redeeming their brutal nature and allowing for compassion, while the horses, the animals Marc once loved to paint, are consumed by eviscerating debris and flames due to their separation. The foxes in the corner are a controversial aspect of the painting, with at least one scholar calling up images of Norse-Germanic mythology, Ragnarok, and Yggrdasil, which I never bought. I think it's just nature hiding itself from the destruction of man; look how all the lines break at their refuge and do not point at them.

One final note: on the back of the canvas, Marc wrote the words "And all being is flaming suffering," which, aside from being fantastically , is another link to his philosophy of purging by fire.

And the funny thing? The class I wrote this paper for was the only art class I've ever taken. My professor was loving amazing, and ignited an appreciation of art that's burned in me since then. I went from "pfffbtt, a bunch of Campbell's Soup cans, what's the big deal? " to "Andy Warhol was loving nuts and also awesome "

...but I still don't get Jackson Pollock.

PlatinumJukebox has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Joseph Ducreux - Portrait de l'artiste sous les traits d'un moqueur, Self-portrait, ca. 1793

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Marius Valdes "Red Unwantable"

The texture and color of his paintings are the best part, it doesn't really come across on a computer screen.

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)

Gustav Klimt- The Kiss

Jean-Michel Basquiat- Boxer

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I've always been partial to Velasquez's Pope Innocent X painting and Bacon's interpretation after:

E:

PlatinumJukebox posted:

edit: Here's a collection of all the art submitted by goons in the last PYF Art thread. There's an amazing variety of stuff in there, so please take the time to look through it!

I didn't see this link, that's an amazing lot of stuff!

The Saddest Rhino has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Nov 21, 2013

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Man with Lollipop - Pablo Picasso - 1938

Dying Bull - Pablo Picasso - 1934

I saw both at the Metropolitan Museum of Art during my Senior Class trip to New York in high school. Man with Lollipop is one of my favorite paintings.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Here's a couple of my favorite works from Gustave Doré:

Destruction of Leviathan (1865) (Also my current smartphone wallpaper and Steam profile picture)

Depiction of Satan (1866)

Don Quixote (1863)

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've always been partial to Velasquez's Pope Innocent X painting and Bacon's interpretation after:

E:

I didn't see this link, that's an amazing lot of stuff!

This is totally loving metal.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog - Caspar David Friedrich

Oh and how could I forget:

Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks to Sultan Mehmed IV of the Ottoman Empire - Ilya Repin

The context is great.

Augster has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Nov 23, 2013

PVT
Jul 9, 2011

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
I've always loved the Color Field painters and abstract expressionism.

Kenneth Noland - Beginning, 1958

Frank Stella - Empress of India, 1965

Morris Louis - Alpha-Pi, 1960

Burri's work has wonderful texture to it. Its everything I love in the simplicity of color field work + physical depth and shape.

Alberto Burri - Rosso Plastica, 1966

Chirico preceded Dali and other famous surrealists with his "scuola metafisica" art movement. I enjoy surrealists but Chirico is the best for me.

Giorgio de Chirico - Gare Montparnasse (The Melancholy of Departure), 1914

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Oh gently caress yeah, another one of these threads! Lately, I've been looking at a lot of Odilon Redon's work.

Odilon Redon - I am still the great Isis!

Odilon Redon - The Sphinx: "...my gaze that nothing can deflect, passing through objects, remains fixed on an inaccessible horizon."

Odilon Redon - Pilgrim of the Sublunary World

Albrecht Durer - St. Eustace

Gwen John - The Convalescent

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Augster posted:

The hair style has always made me think it should be titled Rik Mayall Hopelessly Lost on a Hiking Trip.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Is it okay to hotlink Wikipedia? If it's not I'll re-host.

Jacques-Louis David, Oath of the Horatii.
It's just so direct.

Among conceptual projects, I've always found On Kawara's Today Series to be very interesting.

He makes one of these every day (it's a painting,) then boxes it away with some information related to making it plus a newspaper clipping from the date. The format of the date varies based on the typical way that the country he is in writes it. It's kind of obsessive and insane, but at the same time, it's kind of like making the way that we experience history into something literal. I used to be way better at writing about this kind of stuff.

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Nov 24, 2013

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It should be a rule to publish the artist and title with the picture. I know it's only a google image search away, but it's also not that hard to addendum your post.

All thumbnailed for bigness.

Francisco Goya of Spain, Saturno devorando a su hijo (Saturn Devouring His Son).

Francisco Goya, Duelo a garrotazos (Duel with Cudgels).

All of Goya's Black Paintings are badass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Paintings), but those two are my favorite. They all were hung up in the artist's home and later transferred to canvas. They were never publicly displayed in his lifetime. None of them actually have titles, those are just names art historians have come up with.

Beehive Collective, The True Cost of Coal.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The Birthplace of Herbert Hoover, West Branch, Iowa - Grant Wood (1931)

Look at those trees, they're amazing. It's sad that he's only known for American Gothic.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

N. Senada posted:

Francisco Goya of Spain, Saturno devorando a su hijo (Saturn Devouring His Son).

Its worth noting that Goya originally painted this on the wall of his dining room.

Ivan the Terrible Killing His Son by Ilya Repin

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
My favorite is Le Vampire by Phillip Burne Jones (1897)

Also stuff from early 20th century American illustrator J.C. Leyendecker

Supersonic has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Nov 24, 2013

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Christus Hypercubus, by Dalí
I just love the fascination artists had with extra dimensionality for a while back in the late 1800s-early 1900s

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Is photography kosher in this thread? If so, here's some from Russian photographer Sergei Prokudin-Gorskii. These were taken around 1909-1915 (!!!) as part of a project to document the entire Russian Empire commissioned by Tsar Nicholas II. Supposedly, over 3500 photos were taken, using a three color process which Prokudin-Gorsky pioneered.

The Bukhara Emir (1911)

On the Karolitskhali River (Self-Portrait, 1912)

View of the Monastery from Svetlitsa (1910)

edit:

And here's the photo that got him the commission (and first ever color portrait taken in Russia):

Leo Tolstoy in Yasnaya Polyana (1908)

Metroid Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Nov 25, 2013

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Let's talk about John Bellany.

John Bellany was one of the greatest Scottish painters of the 20th Century. He was largely responsible, along with Alexander Moffat, for keeping figurative painting alive in Scotland at a time when abstract art was the trend. He fought tooth and nail against the notoriously snooty Edinburgh art establishment and came out one of the most revered cultural icons of the century.

He's pretty loving great, is what I'm getting at here.

Bellany was born in the early '40s in Port Seton, a fishing village near Edinburgh. He got into the Edinburgh College of Art in the early '60s and blew away pretty much everyone else in his year by being a drat Good Painter. A lot of art buffs still reckon his best work is from his college days.

That's Allegory, exhibited when he was just 23. It was painted over three huge bits of hardboard; the full work in front of you is overpowering, almost overbearing in how the fishes/Christs loom over you.

He moved down to London and studied at the Royal College of Art, where he continued painting awesome poo poo and insulting his abstract-expressionist classmates in equal measure. When a respected artist came to visit a college exhibition and said that the students were "working amongst the finest talents in Britain", Bellany piped up, "By that I hope you mean the staff!"

After he left art school for good and settled into freelancing, two major developments happened: he exchanged hardboard for canvas, which caused his painting style to become more spontaneous and colourful; and he became a major alcoholic, which had an... interesting effect on his choice of subject matter.

That painting on the right is called [/i]Skate Fetish[/i]. Just so you know.

After a decade or so spiralling deeper and deeper into alcoholism, John's liver finally gave out in the late '80s on a trip to France. He was rushed to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge and placed on the waiting list for a new and experimental liver transplant procedure. He didn't expect to survive.

When he came around from the anaesthetic after the operation, he couldn't believe he was alive. Despite being barely able to lift his arms, he motioned to the nurse for paper and pencils, and only after he had drawn something did he believe that he was truly alive. Over the following weeks he covered the walls of his room at the hospital with pictures, which are now collectively known as the Addenbrooke's Hospital Series.

Look at that grin. That is the grin of someone who has taken on death and won.

Or the grin of a guy doped to the gills with morphine. I like the other idea better though.

Pictured: hardcore motherfucker

After he left the hospital, Bellany's work became gentler in tone and style, though his paintings remained as surreal as ever. An example is Prague Easter in the OP. While a lot of his work from this period is very hit-and-miss, he was productive enough to ensure there were plenty of winners.

John Bellany sadly passed away earlier this year, dying peacefully with a paintbrush in his hand. He will always be remembered as a champion of Scottish art and a national hero. But mostly as a drat good artist.

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

George Bellows - Both Members of This Club

krebbed flam
Mar 10, 2013

Anguish by August Friedrich Schenck

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Simon Hantai, No Title, 1956.

I saw this at the Pompidou Centre earlier this year. I like how similar it is to some modern graffiti art.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Arrival of Spring by David Hockney

lllllllllllllllllll has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Dec 15, 2013

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I really cant get over how much Manet's and Monet's similar paintings, of France's first Bastille Day celebration, contrast each other.

Monet, The Rue Montorgueil, 1878

Manet, The Rue Mosnier with Flags, 1878

treasured8elief has a new favorite as of 10:41 on Dec 15, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm a sucker for Medieval art, so the Annunciation by Simone Martini and Lippo Memmi at the Uffizi is the work of art I keep going back to as a source of inspiration. We all have our "favorite picture of the moment" and I'm not immune to that, but every time I see this piece I feel emotionally very satisfied. Normally, Mary is happy or pious (or at the very least accepting!) when she hears that she is going to have God's child. When I first saw this painting, I saw Mary as being terrified. Gabriel is kneeling before her in supplication but also in all of his glory literally shooting the annunciation like a laser beam at her. Who wouldn't be terrified? Now that I am older, I no longer see Mary as terrified so much as I see her as unwilling. She didn't consent to this and who the gently caress is Gabriel to tell her what she has to do? This isn't a holy burden -- it's rape! And Mary most certainly doesn't appreciate it.

I have no doubt that my views on this painting will continue to evolve and that is what makes it wonderful.

A close second would be the Adoration of the Magi by Lochner at the Cologne Cathedral. I like that one because it shows really good knowledge of things like perspective but rejects them (while letting us know they are being rejected by choice and not ignorance) in favor of the Medieval style. To this day, you can feel the layers of tension between Northern and Southern Europe. Civilization may have come from Southern Europe, but it survives in the North! Except that, you know, now all sorts of amazing things are happening in Southern Europe and they are kind of better . . . sure I can see that, but gently caress that poo poo, it is a passing fad. It's all there. More intellectual and less visceral but still a wonder to behold!

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Here are the works in question:

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Augster posted:

Needless to say, I'm a fan. It's been called a one-work summation of Romantic ideals.

EDIT: Ideals such as the majesty and grandeur of nature, along with man's ability to contend with nature, and sometimes triumph. Sehnsucht, the longing for the blue beyond the horizon. The escape from the ordered, rational, straight-lined box of civilization. And of course, adventure and isolation, that longing for exceptional experience that often makes one radically alone.

Quidam Viator has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Dec 15, 2013

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
Flesh - Ivan Albright

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Immersion (Piss Christ) by Andres Serrano

I'm probably gonna get it for this one, but I genuinely like this piece. There's a lot of r/atheists out there that like this piece because omg jesus in pee, but I just like the composition. If you weren't told it was urine, you might think its just an odd, warm palette choice. Its gross and pretty at once. Always makes me think of how we develop symbols, as a culture, and the weight those constructs have.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Lowendenkmal is a pretty good one.

As is the Christ of the Abyss

Lately I've taken an interest in Battle Paintings. The Battle of Borodino and The Battle of Marengo are of particular note to me since the painter was a French Sergeant turned General who was also quite fastidious with respect to his paintings. He's done quite a few other works as well.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Lynda Benglis - Contraband

Damien Hirst - A Thousand Years. Flies hatch in the first compartment, feed on the cow's head and are eventually killed by the suspended bug zapper, living out their entire life cycle within the installation. Hirst's always the first target for people trying to prove the vacuousness of contemporary art, but gently caress them, i've always like his style.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Joan Miro - The Farm (1920)

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, another one of these threads! Lately, I've been looking at a lot of Odilon Redon's work.

I think it shows in your work. Good stuff.

Personally I am in love with Dina Valls. Spanish figurative art. He has a degree in medicine and surgery and boy does it show in his paintings in some interesting ways. A constant theme all through seems to be abuse.

Fulmine Icta-Dino Valls

MARTYR-Dino Valls

Tacere-Dino Valls

:nws: Here is an album with some more :nws:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Doré was already mentioned, so I'll cherry-pick from my other favorites.

Romanticism! God I love romantic painting. Look at this poo poo:

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, Caspar David Friedrich. My favorite painting by my favorite painter, and probably my favorite human-created thing ever. It's gorgeous. I don't like to disappoint it with words. Just look and enjoy. The Wanderer Above the Mysts is amazing too, as is all of his work.

Goya! Saturn Devouring His Children, Francisco Goya. Saw this for the first time when I was maybe 12, 13? Art should be moving and unforgettable, and Goya is both.

And my guilty pleasure is Hieronymous Bosch. Everyone knows about Garden of Earthly Delights, but just look at this thing:

HUGE-rear end VERSION: 30k full-resolution at WikiCommons

The detail and imagery is unbelievable, even to me today:

Yeah it's cool because it's a cool thing, and it's bizarre, but the story behind it is what made me love Bosch. It's painted on oak, it's probably the most complex painting ever attempted, and it was Bosch's personal "gently caress you" to the church. This thing was a triptych and was intended to be used in a church, and this is what Bosch went ahead and painted for them. There's so much commentary in this thing I could fill a forum. The general consensus among religious art historians and the church is that this was never intended for a religious setting, but it's a debated issue. I think otherwise, as do many others.

Slim Killington has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Dec 20, 2013

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I've always enjoyed the tranquility of van Gogh's Starry Night Over the Rhone

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

One of my favorite new artists is Andrew Salgado. I don't know if any of his stuff has titles or not, as he is a portrait painter, but I can't get enough of his work.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Dina Valls

Holy poo poo, these are amazing! Thanks for posting!

Side Effects posted:

Andrew Salgado

Do you know Jenny Saville? She does a lot of stuff like this.

Red Stare Head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Impressionism. Look at the amazing texture in this piece. Look at it full-size to really appreciate it. The sky and the water and almost mirror images of each other, but yet they look totally different just due to the brush textures.

San Giorgio Maggiore at Dusk by Monet.

• Locked thread