Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
Wayne Barlowe. Art inspired by Paradise Lose:

That first one is my favourite. His website has a lot of other science fiction and fantasy themed art, all of it very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Paul Klee's Around the Fish.

The image is all about things related to fish. Fish have a really strong smell! Fish taste good with lemons! Fish need water to breath. Peter was a fisherman. It's just lovely.
Bauhaus is great.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Commissar Canuck posted:

I've always enjoyed the tranquility of van Gogh's Starry Night Over the Rhone

I really wish there was a good way to display they texture of van Gogh's work online. The way he just slathered paint on canvas is amazing.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

krebbed flam posted:

Anguish by August Friedrich Schenck

This hangs in the National Gallery of Victoria and its just amazing. I think I spent five minutes just staring at it. One of my favourite paintings.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Bitwa Pod Grunwaldem (Battle of Grunwald), Jan Matejko

When I saw this in person in the National Museum in Warsaw, I spent close to an hour just sort of exploring the painting. The thing is gigantic, and literally every time I looked at it (or even look at it now) I always notice something new among the impressive details. The trampled corpses, the jaguar skins, the wings of Hussars in the distance, the Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order about to be butchered by peasants, the knight being strangled by rope... hell I just learned most of the knights are actual figures from the battle.

Another by Matejko, Stańczyk the court jester, lamenting the capture of Smolensk by the Russians while the nobility obliviously dance and party away.

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

Dienes posted:

Immersion (Piss Christ) by Andres Serrano

I'm probably gonna get it for this one, but I genuinely like this piece. There's a lot of r/atheists out there that like this piece because omg jesus in pee, but I just like the composition. If you weren't told it was urine, you might think its just an odd, warm palette choice. Its gross and pretty at once. Always makes me think of how we develop symbols, as a culture, and the weight those constructs have.
It is important to note that Serrano identifies as Catholic and did not see it as a blasphemous act, nor did he intend it as a denunciation of Christ.

Felix Gonzales-Torres was a conceptual artist in the late 80's and early 90's whose work focus on the ideas of loss, memory and love.

Most of his works are untitled but have come to include parenthetical descriptors. The above Untitled (North) has been suggested to be a reflection on how after death and over time, individual people (as represented by the strung lightbulbs) begin to blend in together and lose their distinctive identity. FGT didn't create the work to be specifically interpreted in one particular way and tended to work towards evoking an open-ended feeling. He is probably best known for his stacks of various items which people are encouraged to take from.

Untitled (Portrait of Ross in L.A.) is one of his most famous works. It consists of a pile of individually wrapped bright candies which are to be replenished each day to equal a weight of approximately 175 lbs. This was the weight of his lover, Ross Laycock, before being diagnosed with AIDS and slowly disappearing into death. Though there are more and more conceptual artists that appear every year, the work of FGT is still important because of the powerful and loaded imagery. There is a lot to say about this particular piece, but it has more of an impact if one thinks on it for themselves.

Untitled (Perfect Lovers) is probably my favorite of his. It's an extremely simple piece: just two kitchen clocks set to be synchronous with each other displayed on a gallery wall. They are battery powered and have a limited lifespan. In a somewhat recent publication of Julie Ault's monograph on FGT, a copy of short letter he sent to Ross Laycock was reproduced that illuminates FGT's intentions (however, the letter was and will never be shown next to the work).

If you'd like to see some of Felix Gonzalez-Torres's other work, there is a series of 12 Billboards he created before his early death in 1996 (from the same disease that took the love of his life) on display on the Jersey Turnpike.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wounded Soldier by Otto Dix

It's pretty creepy but I just really like it and can't really explain why.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Ballad of the Jealous Lover of Lone Green Valley by Thomas Hart Benton

I've seen this painting for years, and it's always stuck with me. It was used as a cover of a bluegrass album called Appalachian Stomp that my dad played a lot growing up, which I've been listening to again recently (it's a really great album and is a great starter for anyone even slightly interested in bluegrass music).

The painting elicits a strong feeling and portrays a whole scene so well. I love the odd texture of the characters(I always think of clay), the shadows and the color, the surreal swaying landscape. I love the mood it elicits.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
From one of America's first great still life painters taking a little dig at Puritain sensibilities.

Raphaelle Peale Venus Rising from the Sea--A Deception 1822

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

The guy that painted this:

"Death and Life" Gustav Klimt (1908)

Also painted this:

"Der Hanswurst auf der Jahrmarktbühne" Gustav Klimt(1892)

And in the same vein:

These are two self-portraits of Pablo Picasso, at age 16 and 72 respectively.

As an artist myself, I just love seeing the potential of artists on both ends of the spectrum. It goes to show that to create great art, it requires lots of knowledge of form, color, line, and composition to be able to make beautiful and compositionally sound pieces.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jisae posted:

And in the same vein:

These are two self-portraits of Pablo Picasso, at age 16 and 72 respectively.

As an artist myself, I just love seeing the potential of artists on both ends of the spectrum. It goes to show that to create great art, it requires lots of knowledge of form, color, line, and composition to be able to make beautiful and compositionally sound pieces.

It's been strongly suggested that Picasso's father painted that self portrait (and many other early picasso works), signed it with his son's name and passed it off as his to hype up his talent. His father was a painter himself and wanted to make sure his son was successful. After a fallout with his father Picasso started signing all his work under his mother's name rather than his father's.

Picasso is a great artist but that self portrait probably wasn't done by him.

somtt
Jan 5, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Here's a couple of my favorite works from Gustave Doré:

Destruction of Leviathan (1865) (Also my current smartphone wallpaper and Steam profile picture)

Depiction of Satan (1866)

Don Quixote (1863)

lol do you know any artists not featured in eminem's rap god video?

anyway, i like erik alos' work

Land of South

Wayward Mouse

and his most famous painting Death of the Gulf

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It's been strongly suggested that Picasso's father painted that self portrait (and many other early picasso works), signed it with his son's name and passed it off as his to hype up his talent. His father was a painter himself and wanted to make sure his son was successful. After a fallout with his father Picasso started signing all his work under his mother's name rather than his father's.

Picasso is a great artist but that self portrait probably wasn't done by him.

I took two semesters on modern art in college and that was never touched upon, definitely want to read up on Picasso's dad now. It's unfortunately such a common phenomenon since even the Renaissance era to employ apprentices to do "your" work for you, and of course that can't be mentioned without people like Warhol.

Now, if Klimt actually didn't paint that crowd scene I will be devastated :ohdear:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jisae posted:

I took two semesters on modern art in college and that was never touched upon, definitely want to read up on Picasso's dad now. It's unfortunately such a common phenomenon since even the Renaissance era to employ apprentices to do "your" work for you, and of course that can't be mentioned without people like Warhol.

Now, if Klimt actually didn't paint that crowd scene I will be devastated :ohdear:

If I remember correctly it was because Pablo (Picasso) originally painted under really weird combinations of his and his father's name like "Pablo Ruiz y Picasso" or "Ruiz Picasso", but when he left art school and had a fallout with his father he switched completely to just writing "Pablo Picasso", then "Picasso" after his mother's last name. It's not something that's really talked about because it's Picasso and you can't talk poo poo about him, but it's interesting since his style completely changed after his father was no longer involved.

It also doesn't make sense that he can create these two pieces within in the same year yet be so stylistically different.

Now for real fun, you all know Bridgman? The guy who's books are the ones everyone learns from for doing anatomy work? He copied all his work from a previous master and his personal work (that you can find that isn't done from models) is all poo poo too.

The art world is full of this stuff.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Feste posted:

It is important to note that Serrano identifies as Catholic and did not see it as a blasphemous act, nor did he intend it as a denunciation of Christ.

It's really a case of people completely misunderstanding the artist's intend and why Serrano is deliberately using bodily fluids in his work. Yes, Serrano is, in fact, a Catholic and still is, last I heard, nor does he intend on quitting Catholicism any time soon. However, he's one of a breed of Catholic that thinks that the Church is handling some things wrong. In particular, the AIDS crisis comes to mind. Look at his other photographs involving fluid. Blood comes up a lot. Far as I know it's partly a reference to that whole "this bread is my body and this wine is my blood" thing. Anyway, one of Serrano's biggest criticisms of the Church and one of the things that his body fluid photographs are about is how the Church is handling AIDS or, more specifically, how it isn't. AIDS has reached epidemic proportions but the Catholic Church has been kind of ignoring it and there are those in the religious right that believe AIDS is punishment for gay.

It really is brilliant work though and has a gently caress ton of symbolism in it. Like you said, he didn't view it as blasphemous and he hasn't lost his faith. He's still Catholic he just has a few complaints.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

More on the performance art side, but ever since watching Samsara, I began looking into Olivier de Sagazan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4d4lQtsNGs

He only has 2 1/2 minutes of screen time in the movie, but his other works can be found in various forms around the internet. I'm usually not one to go for performance art, but his material has a primal, disturbing quality that just makes it stand out to me.

Other videos of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYBXRwsDjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-S862p69B0

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

Jisae posted:

Yeah, but there's a huge difference between having your father put out works falsely attributed to you, the apprenticeship system, and Warhol. And while having your father create fraudulent works is unfortunate, the workings of the apprentice system and Warhol certainly aren't.

The apprentice system is really varied and hard to talk about generally. From what I know of the 17th century system (more specifically Rembrandt's workshop), the apprentice system was largely used by artist who were being patronized as opposed to those who operated on the open art market. This means that when you wanted to buy one of Rembrandt's works, you would draw up a very specific contract that would go down to who did how much of the work, what materials were used, what size, what it contained and so on and so forth (the contracts are really fascinating). So it's not as though his apprentice system was trying to bamboozle people by having his underlings pump out work after work: you would know how much he had done. Even in the cases where he didn't paint every brush stroke, he was instructing his apprentices how to paint and they painted in his style. (A lot of the patrons who went for Rembrandt would have been going for his "sketchy" style, specifically, as it became very fashionable during his lifetime). In the works with which he was less involved, he would still add the "touch of the master" which would be the very specific method of applying highlights, distilled "Rembrandt" as it were. And the apprentices who worked for him did so because they wanted to learn how to paint as him. It's not as though he was taking advantage of people as the apprenticeship would cover every aspect of painting from grinding to pigments to applying paint to canvas. The art institution was wildly different back then so it's hard to judge them on today's standards. SIMILARLY: the advances in art analysis technologies allows present day historians to accurately discern which paintings are "genuine" Rembrandts because they have intimately catalogued how he painted.

Warhol was responding to a culture of mechanical reproduction. He set up art factories to mimic the factories that originally produced the images he created. The "art experience" of his art is in the process by which he created the physical objects, and how he translated this system of mechanical reproduction to other imagery. For example: he used the same screen printing process in making his Brillo Boxes as he did his Jackie O portraits as he did his car crash paintings. It's these translations that make it all so interesting, especially when you see large groups of these screen prints next to each other and the technical aspects of the process become apparent. The only people who view this as an unfortunate method of image making are the art market dealers who are constantly being hosed over by the Warhol Foundation in their eternal task of claiming various pieces as not being "authentic Warhols".

Here's a favorite Rembrandt and a favorite Warhol:

Polish Nobleman. This painting is astounding in real life. The way he handles the gold/white highlights are incredible and if you get a chance to see it at the National Gallery, be sure to get as close as possible before the guards yell at you. An up close image of the chain and earring would make a gorgeous abstract work. The physicality of how the paint sits on top of the canvas is shocking as when viewing it from a distance, you don't expect it to be in such a loose style.

Double Elvis. Taken from a still of Flaming Star, a cowboy flick Elvis did. This is a great example of the mechanical reproduction of Elvis resulting in an interesting result. Elvis was a figure of strong, independent masculinity, a man's man. However, putting the two Elvis's so close to each other, so that it appears they could be embracing, flips the coded imagery on its head. Instead of the virile cowboy, gun at the ready, it's a tongue in cheek reference to a hand job. Like the gun, a phallus, in his right hand, the left Elvis's right hand is in the same grip position as the other Elvis, except almost over his crotch. Warhol was a gay man in America, and as we all know mainstream culture didn't (and still doesn't) contain m/any images of this. So he took one of the most well-known images of straight man idealization and turned it into a joke about gay sex. This isn't an interpretation that a straight reviewer would necessarily arrive at, but as a gay man looking at an attractive movie star, you can come to that result. Some of the prints feature them almost directly on top of each other while others have the Elvis's side by side, so your embrace, jerking off, anal sex milage will vary. Whether or not Warhol's hand's even touched this print is immaterial. Not unfortunate, unless you're trying to sell it for the big bucks and the Warhol Foundation smacks you down.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Feste posted:

Felix Gonzales-Torres was a conceptual artist in the late 80's and early 90's whose work focus on the ideas of loss, memory and love.

Most of his works are untitled but have come to include parenthetical descriptors. The above Untitled (North) has been suggested to be a reflection on how after death and over time, individual people (as represented by the strung lightbulbs) begin to blend in together and lose their distinctive identity. FGT didn't create the work to be specifically interpreted in one particular way and tended to work towards evoking an open-ended feeling. He is probably best known for his stacks of various items which people are encouraged to take from.

Untitled (Portrait of Ross in L.A.) is one of his most famous works. It consists of a pile of individually wrapped bright candies which are to be replenished each day to equal a weight of approximately 175 lbs. This was the weight of his lover, Ross Laycock, before being diagnosed with AIDS and slowly disappearing into death. Though there are more and more conceptual artists that appear every year, the work of FGT is still important because of the powerful and loaded imagery. There is a lot to say about this particular piece, but it has more of an impact if one thinks on it for themselves.

Which was referenced (parodied?) by Pictures For Sad Children.

Which is then continued thus:
http://archive.picturesforsadchildren.com/80/

I like Pictures for Sad Children.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dali's 'The Persistence of Memory'

And of course, Dali's 'The Disintegration of The Persistence of Memory'

Prints of both of these adorned my walls.
Of course, that is also true of every student apartment in existence. I think it's some kind of bylaw or something.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

XTimmy posted:

Yep, looks like it.
I've seen the work in person and it's pretty powerful (you are also an rear end in a top hat if you don't take a piece of the candy).
I know I post Orozco in every art thread here but I really like him (well, not his painting which is boring but his conceptual stuff)

This is "black kites", which he made while recovering from a resperitory illness that nearly killed him

This is "dark wave", the logical conclusion of the same idea (pencil on actual gray whale skeleton). It took something obscene like 200,000 pencils to cover it.

This is "mobile matrix", another version of the above (although the lines drawn on are a responce to the lines of the building rather than the form of the skeleton) that hangs in the José Vasconcelos Library in Mexico city.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Always got a big boner for Wyeth, there is the sense of some force of nature, perhaps unkind or even supernatural, lurking at the edges of the canvas. His rural spirit worlds are so compelling; if you've ever lived out in the countryside for any length of time, you'll get the feeling some of the paintings exude- you can almost hear the wind blowing in the dark masses of trees. Click for large-size

"Intruder"

"The Witching Hour"

"Wind From The Sea"

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
In the last year or so I had the pleasure of visiting the MoMA's exhibit on the Quay Brothers twice. They had a lot of their original dioramas and videos of their stop motion work, along with some of the puppets and figures used in said videos.

Here's my favorite video of theirs, Are We Still Married? I love the fluid motion of the girl rocking on her heels, which was achieved by placing the puppet on a scale and bouncing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9uf25wHhs0

Their dioramas were also cool as hell. These two had to be looked at through giant magnifying lenses. The eyeball in the first one was pointed directly at the viewer, and it felt very alive:

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

RedneckwithGuns posted:

More on the performance art side, but ever since watching Samsara, I began looking into Olivier de Sagazan:

He only has 2 1/2 minutes of screen time in the movie, but his other works can be found in various forms around the internet. I'm usually not one to go for performance art, but his material has a primal, disturbing quality that just makes it stand out to me.

Other videos of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYBXRwsDjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-S862p69B0

came here to post this. my all time favorite performance artist

another great performance artist is Marina Abramovic.

probably best known at this point for "The Artist is Present" and her collaboration with Lady Gaga.

there's a film based on The Artist is Present, but there's a flickr of all of her counterparts from the exhibit at MoMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcmcEZxdlv4

the flickr is infinitely more interesting than the film trailer. it lists how long each person sat across from the artist, as well as her portraits from every day she was there.

the other is her collaboration with Lady Gaga or the time when Lady Gaga studied the "Abramovic Method"

:nws:
http://vimeo.com/71919803

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

XTimmy posted:

I don't get this at all. I mean I get the first one I guess? That she's eating more than one candy or something? I dunno. The second one goes completely off the rails. I do not like Pictures for Sad Children.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Frostwerks posted:

I don't get this at all. I mean I get the first one I guess? That she's eating more than one candy or something? I dunno. The second one goes completely off the rails. I do not like Pictures for Sad Children.

It's long form, PFSC follows a few different character through a kind of melancholic journey, gently satirizing various aspects of life. If you follow her storyline for a few more comics it becomes more relevant, though they never have strong closure at the end. I've read a bunch of them so I might be operating on assumed knowledge.

But this isn't webcomic discussion so I'll get back to being schooled.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

"Moorish Chief; or Harem Guard" by Eduard Charlemont. It's in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. If you get the opportunity to see this in person take it. It's not just that the light falls so perfectly on him it's his face. HIS FACE.
It screams authority, superiority and even contempt. you feel his eyes on you. It's kind of like the real life painting of Viggo The Carpathian.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Always got a big boner for Wyeth, there is the sense of some force of nature, perhaps unkind or even supernatural, lurking at the edges of the canvas. His rural spirit worlds are so compelling; if you've ever lived out in the countryside for any length of time, you'll get the feeling some of the paintings exude- you can almost hear the wind blowing in the dark masses of trees. Click for large-size

"Intruder"

His paining rocks so much, I get such a sense of horrible anticipation from it.

Ilya Repin, Ivan the Terrible and His Son Ivan, 1885

:(

e: ^oh I missed it on the first page, Im sorry :(

Vincent van Gogh, Wheat Field with Crows, 1890

treasured8elief has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Feb 13, 2014

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Madame Lebrun, self portrait, 1787

quote:

In 1787, Elisabeth Louise Vigée Le Brun caused a minor public scandal with a self-portrait, exhibited the same year, in which she was shown smiling open-mouthed – in contravention of painting conventions. The court gossip-sheet, Mémoires secrets, commented: ‘An affectation which artists, art-lovers and persons of taste have been united in condemning, and which finds no precedent among the Ancients, is that in smiling, [Madame Vigée-Lebrun] shows her teeth.'

Tonight I learned about Marie Antoinette's official painter, Marie Louise Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun, and her super fascinating life.

When she was 24 she painted her first of 30 portraits of Marie Antoinette, and until 1789 she was considered the Queen's official painter. King Louis's official painter simply did not like her at all, which I think is kind of funny in a weird way. He would attempt to have her studio seized, and he vigorously opposed her entrance into the Académie Royale to such an extent an order from Louis XVI was what finally granted Madame Lebrun her admission.

Madame Lebrun, Marie Antoinette en Gaulle, 1783

quote:

This painting created a scandal when exhibited in 1783, and Vigée was forced to remove her painting only a few days after the exhibition opened. Critics protested that the queen looked indecent and unregal, but the artist was just reflecting a newly-emerging, more "natural" style she herself popularized.

I guess being Marie Antoinette's official painter had a few downsides during the French Revolution, so she spent 12 years travelling Europe in exile, painting her entire time. Her portraits continued to find great success with royalty and, during a farewell dinner prior to her return to France, Empress Maria herself asked her to remain in Russia.

I seriously can't really describe her incredible life and how well documented everything is. Id seriously love to see a movie based on her. Weirdly, the most information about her online, including several long biographies and her own scanned memoirs, is on a site called BatGuano.com.

treasured8elief has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Mar 9, 2014

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

Max Beckman - Carnival

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm a big fan of James Turrell. He works with light to produce these kind of illusion pieces where you think that there's something where there isn't. Some of the more basic ones are simply shapes projected against walls, like so:

Another version is the "Space Divison":

I like these a lot because the effect is so simple. At first it scans as just a rectangular panel of color, but the trick is that it's simply a hole in the wall, and behind it is a rounded, evenly-lit space. Since you can't perceive the depth, there appears to be no depth at all. This effect is taken to the extreme in his Ganzfelds:

The light is even and vivid, and the walls are curved to meet the floor, creating an endless space around you. A sort of reversal of this is his Wedgeworks series, and I really have no idea how they work but they're neat:

One of his most common installations is the Skyspace, where the sky itself becomes the canvas via a hole cut in the ceiling:

The Skyspaces kind of sum up Turrell's work as a whole. The perfectly clean edge of the frame (angled sheetrock replaced annually) bring the sky down, and make it seem almost tangible, since it's impossible to discern depth in it. The subject is the light that is filtered through the atmosphere, which changes constantly.

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008
I like Cy Twombly.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm a big fan of James Turrell.

Saw some of his work for the first time last year here at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts and was blown away by it. Amazing use of space and depth.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I never thought much of his stuff, I'd just walk past it at the museum and think, "It's a big grey painting, so what?" Then one day I saw someone stick his hand in the painting. It blew my mind, not just because of the way the piece worked but because I had been walking past that thing regularly for years before I saw that happen and realized what it was all about. Modern day magic!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Jeff Wall makes me happy.

quote:

Jeffrey "Jeff" Wall, OC, RSA (born September 29, 1946) is a Canadian artist best known for his large-scale back-lit cibachrome photographs and art history writing. Wall has been a key figure in Vancouver's art scene since the early-1970s.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Sorry no info on the artist

ED-E My Love
Feb 26, 2014

The cutest lil' eyebot in the Wasteland
John William Waterhouse - My Sweet Rose ("The Soul of the Rose")

MY favorite piece of art. I just love it. The woman looks so beautiful and the color pallet is very soothing...it just makes me happy to look at.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Another version is the "Space Divison":

I like these a lot because the effect is so simple. At first it scans as just a rectangular panel of color, but the trick is that it's simply a hole in the wall, and behind it is a rounded, evenly-lit space. Since you can't perceive the depth, there appears to be no depth at all. This effect is taken to the extreme in his Ganzfelds:

I stuck my hand through his piece "Gap" to show my dad it wasn't a projection. :downs: I felt a little silly after.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Sorry no info on the artist

Who, me?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

Jeff Wall makes me happy.

I love this. It's like a still from the set of the movie adaptation of "Invisible Man".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
In recently studying the expressionists, I have become a bit fond of August Macke. He was a close friend of Franz Marc, who is also rather interesting. Macke's art isn't as heavy as most German expressionist stuff. He was by all accounts sweet-tempered and had a natural, easy enjoyment of life. His work seems to reflect that in all the different styles he worked with.

This painting, "Farewell", was the last he ever made before he was drafted in WWI. He died on the battlefield a few weeks into the war.

He was only 27, I feel like he could have done a lot more if he lived longer. His work seemed really sensitive.

• Locked thread