Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!
Wow. Thats awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Might as well shunt this to a new post:

Here's the numbers, 659 missions on the islands we have in the repo, 484 have been sorted out because of missing addons.
Out of the 176 working missions (as in they load the lobby without issue), 79 of those were duplicates to missions already in my mission folder (this includes multiple older versions of missions).
Which so far leaves me with 97 new missions.
Now I just need to check the servers mission list for any duplicates. None that I could really see. Now to fix up the names.

Coolest mission found so far: 12 man Apache mission on Celle 2.

Edit:
And after a final sorting and fixing up the names here is the file with 89 new missions, perhaps a bit too many huge TVT missions perhaps but I think there might be one or two interesting ones (TVT14 Founding Farmers) amongst them. Also a pair of training missions I found.
Pity the Artillery training missions and such were addon dependants.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29015696/NewMissions.rar

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 1, 2014

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think my favorite quote from today was "Soapy! Soapy! Move the gun! I can't see! :supaburn:"

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Happy New Year :toot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0rfabS3qV0

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!

*sigh* Bloody Javelin ruining the festivities.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So as I was looking around for more actual ACE2 missions I came across this ACE2 wiki where I learned that ACE2 has or had nukes. The wiki listing is rather dated though but there might be some nuggets of information contained within.

Speaking of videos, here is the stream link for the wednesday session, mostly because I've got some new settings on OBS and wondering what people think of the quality now or if I should just revert back to the old ones.
http://en.twitch.tv/cookedauto/b/491848943
I might do a video of the entire Berezniki mission even if that will most likely look very choppy but having more combat videos is always fun. And possibly one titled "Cooked Auto can't navigate worth a drat" to show my massive blunder during Foxtrot Uniform. (Jump to 01:24:29 to the start of the mission.)

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 2, 2014

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I thought all those dummies were actual tanks so I guess I'm the dummy.
Also a bad squad leader.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AirborneNinja posted:

I thought all those dummies were actual tanks so I guess I'm the dummy.
Also a bad squad leader.

Oh you weren't the only one falling for those in the beginning. And you're excused anyway since that mission was poo poo.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Threw up my perspective of the Warlords mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP7ZJ7dRTow

My god Cooked, that is so much video you have there. 7+ hours. I need to find the parts where I crash miserably.

VanOwen fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 3, 2014

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

VanOwen posted:

Threw up my perspective of the Warlords mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP7ZJ7dRTow

My god Cooked, that is so much video you have there. 7+ hours. I need to find the parts where I crash miserably.

cool mitch reporting for duty *S* o7

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

Yeah, I really should do highlights and such but gently caress twitch system for doing those. Most useless and annoying thing ever.
It is frankly much easier for me to download the video in 30 min chunks and rip out individual segments from them using WinFF and FFmpeg. (Even if I am running into the issue with bloated file sizes somewhat.)

Edit: Also don't expect a good angle on that crash as I was looking the wrong way more or less.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 3, 2014

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Yeah.. all I heard was the far off noise of the jet. I think I heard AAA fire one time before that.

It was pretty funny watching you get more and more lost.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

Yeah.. all I heard was the far off noise of the jet. I think I heard AAA fire one time before that.

It was pretty funny watching you get more and more lost.

Oh you meant the Foxtrot Uniform crash. I thought you meant the Berezniki one.

And yeah, you probably heard my reaction when I realized how far off I really was. Go figure why I thought I was that north though. Not my proudest moment.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?
:rory: 2014 Saturday session in 17 hours :rory:

I'd like to remind everyone to learn at least the basics of the medical system as it helps missions go more smoothly.

You can learn the basics and more at our wiki.

Sloane fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 4, 2014

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I never saw your guys lasers in the Bradley mission, I don't know if there is anything else that will show up on thermals to help with IFF.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AirborneNinja posted:

I never saw your guys lasers in the Bradley mission, I don't know if there is anything else that will show up on thermals to help with IFF.

You need to have night vision goggles on to see the IR lasers. Same goes with if we ever run around with strobes on for that part.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

AirborneNinja posted:

my IFF sense checks: are they acting like humans? and what kind of weapons are they using. Doesn't help that much when we're playing takistani milita vs the evil takistani but it helps.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I mean the lasers don't show up in the Bradley's Thermal scopes. It's still pretty easy to tell the sides apart based on weapons and uniforms and we had a comfortable amount of time to crosscheck between Commander/Gunner. I'm just nervous about loving things up and blowing away some friendlies.

Also I totally saw duckfoot aiming that AT at us.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Oh right, my view of the Bradley mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5iJ_UOSIb0

I can't be bothered to learn actual mission names.

I only shot Ful once that mission! :v:

I am the worst at leading! And gently caress that map light!

VanOwen fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 6, 2014

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AirborneNinja posted:

I mean the lasers don't show up in the Bradley's Thermal scopes. It's still pretty easy to tell the sides apart based on weapons and uniforms and we had a comfortable amount of time to crosscheck between Commander/Gunner. I'm just nervous about loving things up and blowing away some friendlies.

Also I totally saw duckfoot aiming that AT at us.

Don't worry, even the ground team leader was happy blowing off his own men's legs in that mission. :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

I am the worst at leading!

Frankly you're better at leading than me. (Buuut that could just be my usual negative side talking. :v:)
Also for some reason I like being an ammo mule.

But yeah, the built in ACE map dimming is horrible and I think the Shacktac one does a better job at it. Can we figure out how to disable that one or?

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

I had an idea about carrying flashlights (since we never use the pistol slot) as a cheap and quick fix for this.

I went to go test this on the server but, I couldn't get it to reproduce the very dark/washed out map I was seeing previously.

Maybe someone more clever then me knows why I am getting different results. I.e. I loaded up the Foxtrot Uniform mission and jumped into the same pilot slot. With just me on the server, the map at night looks fine and I can read it clearly.

Maybe I am missing a server setting???

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

But yeah, the built in ACE map dimming is horrible and I think the Shacktac one does a better job at it. Can we figure out how to disable that one or?

Not without switching to an older version of ACE or telling everyone to delete the specific addon, which is probably more trouble than it's worth. Besides, it's not like it was Amy easier to read before we switched repos. We had the Shacktac and ACE versions going which made the map even darker (this is why the night vision overlay on the map is a much more vibrant green now).

Personally, I prefer the ACE version. It gets darker than the Shacktac mod, but you can use ambient light sources like streetlamps and campfires to brighten it up. Besides, I've never found it to be truly unreadable unless the conditions are severe enough that you can't see you feet if you look down.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Snuffy the Evil posted:

Personally, I prefer the ACE version. It gets darker than the Shacktac mod, but you can use ambient light sources like streetlamps and campfires to brighten it up. Besides, I've never found it to be truly unreadable unless the conditions are severe enough that you can't see you feet if you look down.

Dunno about that since at times it's bright enough to see just fine meanwhile the map is neigh unreadable unless you squint. This was the case on the Bradley mission last Saturday at least.
Also I almost hate the puke neongreen that the ACE one has for nightvision. Which almost makes the map borderline unreadable.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I have no idea if we're using the same repo or not since on my screen I could read the map just fine, with it being a little dimmer than bright but still legible, unlike vanowens video.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

I am starting to suspect its a client issue that we are seeing.

When I loaded up Foxtrot Uniform this morning as a test, it looked perfectly fine. I have no idea why the map would be different unless its some sort of issue popping up.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As I don't have any highlights done yet jump to 01:48:00 on this http://en.twitch.tv/cookedauto/b/492691520 video to see how I had it during most of the Bradley mission. I think it was pretty dark even before it really started to get gloomy (at 01:26:44).

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Did you have a map? since my map was just dimmer and not pitch black during any of the mission, or it might be clientside as vanowen said.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

Did you have a map? since my map was just dimmer and not pitch black during any of the mission, or it might be clientside as vanowen said.

Of course I had a map. You can actually see the dots the other infantry team was putting out to check of cleared buildings later on. Even if white dots look mostly light grey and black ones are pretty much invisible.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

At 1:53:28 you can see your map is magically lit up again, thanks to the local street light outside the building.

There is probably some weirdness about NVGs not seeing the map correctly without lighting. Even though you would think that NVGs would specifically not have to worry about that...

And watching your replay really highlighted a lot of times where I never heard your radio calls or where mine never reached you. Those buildings are quite good at blocking signals.

Edit: And I would agree with the notion (that you seemed to take offense to) that the T-34 was the tank that won the war. If you can say that a single tank 'won'. I would probably more accurately say that the T-34 was the more important and impactful tank of the war. Which is as close to best as I can think without saying best.

VanOwen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 6, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

And watching your replay really highlighted a lot of times where I never heard your radio calls or where mine never reached you. Those buildings are quite good at blocking signals.

Hah, didn't even realize that myself.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012
Oh god so many posts. I've uploaded a the missions Snuffy posted last page and the ones Cooked posted on this one.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

VanOwen posted:

Edit: And I would agree with the notion (that you seemed to take offense to) that the T-34 was the tank that won the war. If you can say that a single tank 'won'. I would probably more accurately say that the T-34 was the more important and impactful tank of the war. Which is as close to best as I can think without saying best.

I was just goofing off with that comment.

In the Bradley Video at 38 minutes, dealing with the tank I'm surprised no one told me 'no your other left' that was a bit embarrassing.

croguy
Nov 25, 2013
On the topic of magical blackout maps, I remember a mission-making friend of mine made a script which would shine down a flashlight at your feet each time you open your map. Nice way to circumvent that issue without NVGs, though you're much more prone to getting spotted with the light shining IIRC.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

If you watch the beginning of the feed, when the HUMVEE pulls away, you can see a white spot under the driver (Ful?). I think he was looking at his map for an instant to see where to drive.

I suspect it *might* solve some of the washed out map issues. However, I would need to reproduce the problem to see if that works or not.

And if it does then its probably better to bring the 'military' flashlights that use the red filters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or just give us all glowsticks since we know from playing roadblock that they actually light up the map.
I know that at one point during that mission I tried to light up the map with the Bradley's headlights but that sadly didn't work at all.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

VanOwen posted:

If you watch the beginning of the feed, when the HUMVEE pulls away, you can see a white spot under the driver (Ful?). I think he was looking at his map for an instant to see where to drive.

I suspect it *might* solve some of the washed out map issues. However, I would need to reproduce the problem to see if that works or not.

And if it does then its probably better to bring the 'military' flashlights that use the red filters.

I've also seen the light floating above the vehicle when people inside are checking their maps :iiam:

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

How good is the AI at noticing glowsticks? I would think that they can see attached glowsticks pretty well but, using the glowstick as a lightsource less well?

Just pondering of much of a liability a glowstick would be to have in the middle of a night ops.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

How good is the AI at noticing glowsticks? I would think that they can see attached glowsticks pretty well but, using the glowstick as a lightsource less well?

Just pondering of much of a liability a glowstick would be to have in the middle of a night ops.

Seeing as the only mission we've really had them is Roadblock I don't think we really have a decent answer to that question at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?
:rory: Wednesday session in 16 hours :rory:

• Locked thread