Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm expecting April Fools Pete Townshend DLC with about five video lessions and two practice tracks on smashing the gently caress out your guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Exodor posted:

I took my guitar (Strat Squier) to the shop last week to have the strings changed (I'm a newbie and it was only $10 so I thought it was worth it) and now my low E and A strings buzz like crazy.

Is there an easy way to correct that or should I haul it back in before I snap the neck trying to adjust poo poo I don't know anything about?

They may have put different gauges of string which apply different tension on your neck and now when the string wobbles it touches frets higher up on the neck.

You can check out truss-rod and action adjustment guides. With a bit of careful tinkering you can probably fix it.

Or go back to the shop that did the change.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

They probably lowered your action. If you can't hear it through the amp ignore it, the better playability is worth it.

Tony posted some Amazon deals and they seem to have Rocksmiths on sale the next weekend. 29th I believe to be precise.
Digital games, 2012 for 7.5$ and 2014 for 40$.

What about for consoles?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

They probably lowered your action. If you can't hear it through the amp ignore it, the better playability is worth it.

I'm getting lots of feedback and random noise in Rocksmith now even when I'm not touching the strings. :sigh:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Did you properly calibrate? When it says mute the strings, quickly mute them and then remove your hand, otherwise the noise gate will be set so low it'll pick up mouse farts.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Titty Hero posted:

So i bought the Radiohead and B'z packs, uPlay downloaded an update, and now suddenly the note recognition took a loving nosedive, especially on the E string, and the volume of my bass keeps... fluctuating or something, like it'll suddenly be really quiet for a while and then go back to normal. I haven't done anything weird with my bass since i last played it yesterday, and it's tuned properly and all. Is anyone else suddenly having problems?

e: Also, they cut out the little bass riff at the end of Optimistic. :(

Yeah I wish they included In Limbo with Optimistic but holy poo poo is that DLC awesome. Also they absolutely nailed the tones on My Iron Lung, my jaw was on the floor.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Did you properly calibrate? When it says mute the strings, quickly mute them and then remove your hand, otherwise the noise gate will be set so low it'll pick up mouse farts.

I may not have calibrated since the string change - I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks!

Also when playing bass does the game give any indication if a song is meant to be played with a pick? RS1 would have a little pick icon but I don't see anything similar in 2014.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
We really should have that calibration poo poo in the OP as well as a warning that the tuner is loving horrible.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Ohh, you're supposed to remove your hand when you mute the strings? I usually kept my hand down

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Ohh, you're supposed to remove your hand when you mute the strings? I usually kept my hand down

You want a tiny amount of movement on the strings so that the sensitivity isn't too high.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are there any songs in this game that have metal riffs or solos? I'm at work and the track list website in the OP isn't working properly on ancient internet explorer. Thanks!

ChromaticLlama
Sep 2, 2011

Just picked up the Alice in Chains sound pack. I have to build up enough callous again after being an inactive guitar player for so long. The new implementation of riff repeater is miles ahead of what the original Rocksmith had. Maybe someday I'll work my way up to Satch Boogie and Cliffs of Dover.

The only thing I kinda miss from the original Rocksmith is the stage sets where you'd play multiple songs back to back in front of a virtual audience.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Are there any songs in this game that have metal riffs or solos? I'm at work and the track list website in the OP isn't working properly on ancient internet explorer. Thanks!

Yes. Slayer's War Ensemble, Mastodon's Blood And Thunder, Karawan's Desolate Motion (prog-y), and old RS1 DLC. Possibly a few more.

Dr Leisure Suit
Sep 21, 2013
There's also Wires by Red Fang and The Trooper by Iron Maiden and a Iron Maiden 5 pack dlc.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

VelociBacon posted:

Counting 1/2/DLC, a bunch of Judas Priest, Megadeth, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold (ugh), Iron Maiden, Red Fang, and single tracks from Lamb of God, Mastodon, Slayer, and White Zombie.

If you count KISS/Twisted Sister/Ratt/Alice Cooper/Deep Purple/SOAD/The Darkness/Iron Butterfly/Steppenwolf/Living Colour/Europe as 'metal' there's songs by them too!

edit: added a couple artists

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 22, 2013

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

Counting 1/2/DLC, a bunch of Judas Priest, Megadeth, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold (ugh), Iron Maiden, Red Fang, and single tracks from Lamb of God, Mastodon, Slayer, and White Zombie.

Don't "ugh" too hard at Avenged Sevenfold. Bat Country is a good song that is a lot of fun to play on bass.

Their other songs are poo poo, but that one more than makes up for it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

kareltherobot posted:

Just picked up the Alice in Chains sound pack. I have to build up enough callous again after being an inactive guitar player for so long. The new implementation of riff repeater is miles ahead of what the original Rocksmith had. Maybe someday I'll work my way up to Satch Boogie and Cliffs of Dover.

The only thing I kinda miss from the original Rocksmith is the stage sets where you'd play multiple songs back to back in front of a virtual audience.

Nonstop Play is good in terms of just keeping the songs going

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nonstop play really is the best for keeping you motivated to do an entire one-hour session. You can even cut out songs you don't want to play before you even begin, so you don't have to worry about getting some lovely song like California Brain popping up randomly.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Or any of the Green Day DLC they FINALLY GOT(!) you bought! :pseudo:

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Titty Hero posted:

Don't "ugh" too hard at Avenged Sevenfold. Bat Country is a good song that is a lot of fun to play on bass.

Really not a fan of Avenged Sevenfold and most nu-metal, but this song is very fun to play on bass. I played it on a whim to get rid of that 0% staring back at me. Goes to show you that songs you may not like to listen to might actually be fun to play!

When I got Rocksmith 2014, I decided to buy a cheapo Squier Telecaster and it has been breathing a lot of new life into the game playing a regular 6 string electric guitar. The games (which are much better) really helped transition me to get comfortable from my p-bass to my telecaster. I've been focusing on rhythm guitar and the lessons have been great compared to Rocksmith 2011, but I still find bass guitar much more fun :downs:.

The DLC has been amazing for RS14! RADIOHEAD! :supaburn:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

You want a tiny amount of movement on the strings so that the sensitivity isn't too high.

Now you tell me!

I'm disappointed the thread title isn't Rocksmith 2014: Play Temple of Bends.

This mini game is hard.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 23, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

triplexpac posted:

The game's trying to learn what it sounds like when you're not playing, so it can cut out the random noises and clean up your sound

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Game is $40 here: http://www.macgamestore.com/product/3006/Rocksmith-2014-Edition/

I believe you get a Steam key? :shrug:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
How do you guys like the Radiohead pack? Thinking about getting the pack but I can't imagine Karma Police be any fun to play on guitar.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Do they have anything like frets on fire for this for PC?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Munkaboo posted:

Do they have anything like frets on fire for this for PC?

They have this game on PC?

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 23, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaboobi posted:

They have this game on PC?

Yes

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

keyframe posted:

How do you guys like the Radiohead pack? Thinking about getting the pack but I can't imagine Karma Police be any fun to play on guitar.

Was thinking the same thing. The bassline hasa nice groove, even if it's pretty simple. But the Guitar ...it's just strumming the chords beneath the piano .. right?

Man .. that's why I wanted Knives Out or something with a fun bit of picking things out.

pvax fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 23, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

pvax posted:

Was thinking the same thing. The bassline hasa nice groove, even if it's pretty simple. But the Guitar ...it's just strumming the chords beneath the piano .. right?

Man .. that's why I wanted Knives Out or something with a fun bit of picking things out.

Yea pretty much. I do not regret buying the pack though.

Hope next week is country music pack or something so I can go a week without buying a rocksmith song pack. :negative:

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

That actually reminds me .. a decent Johnny Cash pack would be awesome fun. Luther Perkins was such a cool guitarist.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
I do love me some Johnny Cash but not I'm huge fan of modern country/western but I would actually like to see a country music pack on Rocksmith. It would be a whole other genre of music and I'm all for variety on Rocksmith.

:banjo:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Edward_Lapine posted:

I do love me some Johnny Cash but not I'm huge fan of modern country/western but I would actually like to see a country music pack on Rocksmith. It would be a whole other genre of music and I'm all for variety on Rocksmith.

:banjo:

On the modern side (are the 90's modern?) the Dwight Yoakam/Pete Anderson stuff is really interesting. I can't say that learning it is a priority but I feel like having a handle on it would probably help me be a fuller musician.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

I didn't notice it yesterday, but that page has a guy asking where he can download the cable in the comments section.

Also somewhere I was reading Amazon is going to have the games on sale coming up soon.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Whoever said they nailed the Radiohead song tones were absolutely right, all of the Radiohead guitar tones sound absolutely amazing.

On the flip side EVERY song I imported from RS1 sounds like utter rear end. Some of the songs that sound ok on RS1 sound completely different in 2014. I really regret spending money on RS1 and the import tool right now.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

keyframe posted:

On the flip side EVERY song I imported from RS1 sounds like utter rear end. Some of the songs that sound ok on RS1 sound completely different in 2014. I really regret spending money on RS1 and the import tool right now.

It's weird because Steam users keep saying this but they sound great on Xbox/PS3 IMO :frog:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

toymach1ne posted:

It's weird because Steam users keep saying this but they sound great on Xbox/PS3 IMO :frog:

Yea I am on PC. There is a huge noticeable decrease in quality. Most songs the guitar tone doesn't sound anything whatsoever like the songs tone. And I am playing this game with an ESP eclipse so it is definitely not the guitar that is at fault here.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

keyframe posted:

Yea I am on PC. There is a huge noticeable decrease in quality. Most songs the guitar tone doesn't sound anything whatsoever like the songs tone. And I am playing this game with an ESP eclipse so it is definitely not the guitar that is at fault here.

Does your In Bloom sound like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XFzQ1OFaHM

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That video is impossible for me to watch, the guitar and the song are synced up but the game is way off. :psyduck:

edit - also I hate how that guy strums. Put some energy into it dude.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 23, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Finally beat Return to Castle Chordead. The first level that is. :suicide: This is day #8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I just listened to all the Radiohead pack songs on YouTube and I already knew I hated Creep and liked My Iron Lung. The rest of it sounds like poo poo to me. I want some Sound Garden. So far I don't really like this 90's alternative fetish they have going on.