Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I like this idea, as I'd *love* a Rocksmith treble cleff minigame (and I'd pay :10bux: for it too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
How do I go back down, so to speak, with the skill level of a song? I bought Rocksmith last week, played bass with several hours a night, got a couple songs more or less mastered. Then I put it away for 3 days, and for some dumb reason I can't play the songs as well today. Is there a way to tell it to put the song back at, say, 75% difficulty and let me work my way back up?

Also, I'm pretty annoyed at songs that don't have a count-in. Trying to guess exactly when the song is going to start sucks.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

How do I go back down, so to speak, with the skill level of a song? I bought Rocksmith last week, played bass with several hours a night, got a couple songs more or less mastered. Then I put it away for 3 days, and for some dumb reason I can't play the songs as well today. Is there a way to tell it to put the song back at, say, 75% difficulty and let me work my way back up?

Access Riff Repeater while playing (The button to access it on your console of choice will pop up before a song starts). You can choose individual sections of a song and adjust the difficulty level near the top of the options menu that pops up.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Weembles posted:

Did that fix it for you or is that something you've heard works? I've changed my password on the website and my PS3 Uplay login still won't work.

UPlay? Oh well that thing is almost always broken. I've failed to log into that 90% of the time using multiple games on both PS3 and 360. UPlay is just poo poo, and you need to redeem your points any chance you get as you never know when the next fabled sighting of the service will hove into view.

I'm still owed points from Assassin's Creed II on 360. It has never, and I mean never, let me redeem those.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

UPlay? Oh well that thing is almost always broken. I've failed to log into that 90% of the time using multiple games on both PS3 and 360. UPlay is just poo poo, and you need to redeem your points any chance you get as you never know when the next fabled sighting of the service will hove into view.

I'm still owed points from Assassin's Creed II on 360. It has never, and I mean never, let me redeem those.

Uplay is absolute garbage to be sure. But, previous to this update, it was absolute garbage that didn't pester me with an additional login screen every time I played the game....

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So this thing just popped up on Steam. Has anyone even heard anything about it before?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Behonkiss posted:

So this thing just popped up on Steam. Has anyone even heard anything about it before?

Try reading the previous page.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Epsilon Plus posted:

e: assuming you could set guitar/bass to show proper notation instead of tabs, this could be useful for getting guitar/bass players to brush up on sheet music. Shame they're selling the editor seperately for 40 loving dollars.

They claim the editor can import audio files and even supports mp3s. That working well seems unlikely at best.

There's a demo for the game here. I'll check it out once it finishes loading, but it seems to take ages.

Anyone tried Jammit? It's apparently essentially a scrolling notation/tab viewer with the master recording. There's no detection of what you play but you can record poo poo in the master and make your own version or something. I was immediately curious once I saw the teaser for Headlong Flight showing a glorious open E tuning as God Lifeson intended. The problem is the songs are all separate purchases and cost a fortune.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Headlong Flight is Open E in Rocksmith 2014, not sure if it's the bonus lead version or not (Uplay yay).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is a thing. And it's only $20 at full price!

https://guitarbots.com is free though :colbert:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

toymach1ne posted:

Headlong Flight is Open E in Rocksmith 2014, not sure if it's the bonus lead version or not (Uplay yay).

I'm sure the normal lead is in E standard so that's the bonus version I guess. Good to know.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
How's the lag on the PC version, compared to the original game? I always found it just that little bit too much, even with tweaking.

Also, can't believe I missed the black friday deal, bugger.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

chippy posted:

How's the lag on the PC version, compared to the original game? I always found it just that little bit too much, even with tweaking.

Pretty much the same. I have a hell of a time trying to play with the actual audio track and getting credit for doing it properly by the game.

Not really their fault, I mean we're talking 15 milliseconds or less worth of error which is a pretty impressive feat considering how much work the computer is doing. My ear is just too sensitive or something.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

I'm not advocating buying it, I'm just saying it's a thing that exists. It seems silly to me.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be DLC today? Or was that the Radiohead DLC we got last Friday? There isn't a mid-week deal nor a week long deal on Steam this week so maybe they're re-doing the autumn sale they did last year.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah that Songs2See is amazing(ly bad). The songs are midi tracks like it's 1999, the notation is off sync with the music and it doesn't seem to actually work with the Rocksmith cable. I'm not convinced it even has any chord display or recognition. Not brave enough to try the full product, that's for sure.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well just bought Songs2See Ultimate for £25, imported an MP3 and compared it to the official tabs. Far from accurate for complex stuff, though 200 bpm death metal with seven different guitar tracks, two bass tracks, 4 vocal tracks and three drum machines would confuse anything. It's more of a utility app than a game when compared to Rocksmith but I can see it being useful. A cheaper, simpler, version of Guitar Pro for multiple instruments.

Also yeah it can show chords in notation but the fretboard blips just flash each note in the chord sequentially.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 26, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

I try my best to look like this when I play:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean not using a pick and fretting random notes? :v:

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Any thoughts on the Radiohead pack? Kinda disappointed in the song choices, especially when I realized Karma Police is mostly piano anyway.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Alex WS posted:

Any thoughts on the Radiohead pack? Kinda disappointed in the song choices, especially when I realized Karma Police is mostly piano anyway.

It's a good song to learn for that situation when someone has an acoustic guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=496TL-1L5jI

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

xzzy posted:

That's an F#m right there, death grip style. She's obviously playing some Rage Against The Machine

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

xzzy posted:

Pretty much the same. I have a hell of a time trying to play with the actual audio track and getting credit for doing it properly by the game.

Not really their fault, I mean we're talking 15 milliseconds or less worth of error which is a pretty impressive feat considering how much work the computer is doing. My ear is just too sensitive or something.

I haven't really seen it mentioned here but my problem isn't so much lag (as I can't hear any delay from when I strum to when it comes out of the speakers) but I feel the notes are coming in slightly too early for the music. Every single youtube video I've seen has the same problem (like the one toymach1ne posted above). At first I thought it was just me but 2 friends also commented on this. Some of the youtube video's I've seen have like 100/200 ms difference. I can't fanthom anyone playing the game like that. I can sort of trick my brain by half ignoring the timing of the notes and going by the sound, but surely this isn't how it's meant to be. I know there is a setting to adjust input lag or something but I can't really get any difference out of that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doesn't the input lag setting basically adjust the display so the notes arrive earlier, so if you're using a laggy TV they'll get delayed and pop out in sync? That's probably where I'd look first, just be aware that the closer you get to the correct timing the harder it is to tell which way you need to go to get closer

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Doesn't the input lag setting basically adjust the display so the notes arrive earlier, so if you're using a laggy TV they'll get delayed and pop out in sync? That's probably where I'd look first, just be aware that the closer you get to the correct timing the harder it is to tell which way you need to go to get closer

Yes that's exactly what it does, but I had a really tough time zeroing in on the perfect setting. Like you say, the closer you get to perfect the harder it is to make changes. But once I started a song it was painfully obvious it's not right, so I had to exit the song, wander back through the menus, and try again.

The display lag correct really should have been some kind of riff repeater calibration setup where you actually pluck notes on command until your error rate hits zero.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I haven't gotten the delay perfect yet but it's close enough.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I received an award today at work in the form of a 25$ gift card for best buy. I see they have a special where if you buy one of their guitars and the game they will knock 80$ of the price of the guitar.

I looked at the guitars on their site and they dont have much going for them despite having over 200 relative to the advice in this thread. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent one off of their site? I see some fender squiers though they are the stratocaster and not the tele as suggested in the OP.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

xzzy posted:

It's probably pretty easy to fret the random notes with those nails.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alex WS posted:

I don't know how you could pick bette rsongs other than creep. My iron Lung and Optimistic are amazingly fun to play. Just is kinda meh though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jiffypop45 posted:

I received an award today at work in the form of a 25$ gift card for best buy. I see they have a special where if you buy one of their guitars and the game they will knock 80$ of the price of the guitar.

I looked at the guitars on their site and they dont have much going for them despite having over 200 relative to the advice in this thread. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent one off of their site? I see some fender squiers though they are the stratocaster and not the tele as suggested in the OP.

What's your budget? Squier's Affinity line is supposed to be a bit rubbish and their 'Stop Dreaming' things are probably their crappiest starter guitars, but the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe lines are really well regarded. There's a CV Tele on there for 279 if that's what you'd like - you might want to check out the CV Duo Sonic as well, it's a short scale instrument so it has a different feel and sound and a lot of people love them. Look it up on YouTube

Honestly though you might be best asking in the guitar thread in musician's lounge, people might be able to tell you which guitars you like the look of are actually good. There are some good names in there, just depends if their lower price offerings are up to scratch

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Classic Vibe DuoSonic is the best for the money, terrific guitar, especially for beginners since it's a short scale. If you want to spend more, the CV Tele, Schecters and Gibson Melody Makers are usually pretty good. But from those options buy whichever would make you feel like a rockstar holding it!

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks for the advice, with what you've said in mind I think I'll just use the gift card on the game+cord and then buy a Douglas Shadow from Rondo. I really like the LP style and at it's Rondo price point I'll still be doing cheaper than the guitar bundle if I include the gift card (and if some of the reviews are to believed a higher quality guitar).

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/1riin5/recent_patch_update_ps3steam_and_soon_xbox_360/

There were updates for Steam and PS3 today, here is what they were.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
Got my copy of the game today from Amazon, with the guitar bundle. I'm very impressed with it, and even a few hours after I stopped playing as I type this, my index and middle fingers on my left hand still hurt.

What probably hurt my fingers the most was when I had to do that thing where I strum and then vibrate the string. Either it didn't register me moving it, or I would move it too much. I kept trying over and over and my fingers really started to hurt. On the bright side, all the other lessons I tried seemed so much easier in comparison.

Still, I find the game very fun and haven't had any issues with calibration, lag or whatnot.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was doing Chords 102 lesson and I can't seem to do the power chords the want with my thumb behind the neck. I keep having to bring it up and grip the guitar like it owes me money. Do I just keep twisting my hand until I get used to it?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I was doing Chords 102 lesson and I can't seem to do the power chords the want with my thumb behind the neck. I keep having to bring it up and grip the guitar like it owes me money. Do I just keep twisting my hand until I get used to it?

I would say yes. Playing power chords with your thumb in proper position makes doing things like string muting and chord sliding much easier. It isnt that hard when you get used to it and it is useful for other techniques as well. The thumb behind the neck is considered the proper way for just about everything except bends, so try to get confortable with it. It will make your life easier in the future.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Behonkiss posted:

Access Riff Repeater while playing (The button to access it on your console of choice will pop up before a song starts). You can choose individual sections of a song and adjust the difficulty level near the top of the options menu that pops up.

Thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

PaganGoatPants posted:

You shouldn't need to twist your hand, any tension is bad and can cause problems in the long run. There should be a sort of smooth curve from your forearm to your wrist, rather than it bring locked at 90 degrees or whatever. (Justin has a video that shows you this, I'll look for it later if it's not one of the intro lessons)

If you can't relax your wrist with the thumb on the back, your guitar is probably too low - either the guitar itself, or the neck needs to be more vertical. You don't need to play like Tom Morello but it shouldn't be around your knees either. Get it where it feels comfortable. Also your thumb should be resting lightly on the back, level with the second finger or so, not squeezing - most of the pressure should be coming from your fingers, and maybe a little from your arm pulling back. Shouldn't need much pressure at all.

Try fretting a power chord in the middle of the neck where it's closer to your body, 7th or 9th fret or so, and gradually shift it down one fret at a time, releasing your grip so your fingers and thumb are hovering just off the neck, and moving the whole thing sideways. Once you're in the new position, gently clamp everything back down - no real pressure remember! If you need to slide the chord, just lift your thumb. The idea is to avoid unnecessary squeaks, but most importantly to make sure your thumb doesn't drag, and you don't shift position by leaving your thumb where it is and contorting your hand by moving your fingers. It might be slow at first but it's better technique (these are habits I've had to break too)

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

Does anyone know how to create the tone used in the intro to My Iron Lung using conventional effects? Its been pretty cool to mess about with in rocksmith and I can't really figure out how to recreate it.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

stevie ray bong posted:

Does anyone know how to create the tone used in the intro to My Iron Lung using conventional effects? Its been pretty cool to mess about with in rocksmith and I can't really figure out how to recreate it.

Do you have an octave pedal? I think that's a big part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

stevie ray bong posted:

You should be able to load up the pre-made song tones in the tone designer by selecting "authentic tone" and see what they used and in what order etc.