Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

All of the older DLC is 50% off on Steam right now.
:getin:

The base game is down to $15, though it might be a daily sale at some point so

The Disc Import Tool is $7.50.

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Kaboobi posted:

The original game is 50% off as well.

Also it looks like the import tool and about 8 of the new DLC tracks are 25% off.
Think I might go to lovely old walmart and seek out the PC version with cable today. I want to bring this over my dad's for thanksgiving and jam with his bass 2-player

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 27, 2013

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

Kaboobi posted:

Oh man, those 5 song packs at $6 are crazy good. I wonder if it will be a daily and drop further though. Kind of doubt it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Why isn't there a deal for PS3 DLC. :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nut Better posted:

Oh man, those 5 song packs at $6 are crazy good. I wonder if it will be a daily and drop further though. Kind of doubt it.

There's no reason to buy it now.. all the prices are valid through December 3, so it's perfectly safe to wait and see if they run a daily deal.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Kaboobi posted:

welp, there goes like 70 dollars since I don't really have much for DLC on RS1

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any recommendations for non-obvious fun songs to play from the older DLC? No Maroon 5 please.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Hanger 18, the entire Judas Priest pack, Jessica, Cult of Personality, No Rain, Cliffs of Dover, all the Rush.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

chippy posted:

Also, can't believe I missed the black friday deal, bugger.

There's another one in the UK tomorrow morning, 11:15 - Xbox and PS3 only though, but with the cable this time. At a guess you're looking at a shade over £35 or so

Dr Leisure Suit
Sep 21, 2013
But are they good I heard the tones are bad on the pc.

prom candy posted:

Any recommendations for non-obvious fun songs to play from the older DLC? No Maroon 5 please.

David Bowie and Otis Redding are required to have :colbert:.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

PaganGoatPants posted:

Why isn't there a deal for PS3 DLC. :negative:

The deal is to crossover to PC/Mac :) I have the first game for PS3 and have been waiting for the first game and import pack to drop in price!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

prom candy posted:

My Chemical Romance Pack and Fall Out Boy Pack

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 28, 2013

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dr Leisure Suit posted:

But are they good I heard the tones are bad on the pc.

I thought people were kidding about this, then I played Go With The Flow rhythm in 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
How is the bass portion of this?

I don't play guitar, nor do I have any interests in starting in the short term. However, I recently picked up my bass again and I'm looking at Rocksmith as something to do to keep it fun because running through scales/chords and only playing actual songs along with a youtube video is boring.

Mostly I prefer playing dadrock but I have an open mind. I never looked at the original Rocksmith because I heard the bass part of that sucked and wasn't worth it.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

awesmoe posted:

I thought people were kidding about this, then I played Go With The Flow rhythm in 2014

I tried to play Cherub Rock and just quit when it switched to the distortion tone, gently caress.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

prom candy posted:

Not sure what you consider obvious, but the Allman Brothers and Santana packs are awesome fun. They're must haves for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Renegret posted:

I don't play guitar, nor do I have any interests in starting in the short term. However, I recently picked up my bass again and I'm looking at Rocksmith as something to do to keep it fun because running through scales/chords and only playing actual songs along with a youtube video is boring.

Mostly I prefer playing dadrock but I have an open mind. I never looked at the original Rocksmith because I heard the bass part of that sucked and wasn't worth it.

It's pretty awesome. Note detection isn't quite as sharp with the guitar, but due to the way the bass works it tends to error in your favor.

It's still great for learning the songs though, just because the game lets you cheat on your playing doesn't mean you have to.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

I'm on day 1 of playing bass and the only bad thing I've found is that it apparently carries over your default difficulty level from the guitar side. I'm trying to use my fingers and getting dumped into maxed out phrases was overwhelming.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

havelock posted:

I'm on day 1 of playing bass and the only bad thing I've found is that it apparently carries over your default difficulty level from the guitar side. I'm trying to use my fingers and getting dumped into maxed out phrases was overwhelming.

You could always open up riff repeater and dial back those sections if it's too much.

The only Radiohead song I picked up was My Iron Lung but it's so worth it. That weird tone in the beginning sounds so cool to noodle around with.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My copy of 2014 arrive toady. I'm so hopeful that I can finally get somewhere!

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

prom candy posted:

Look at all those joke replies. Obviously you should be getting Godzilla and Burning For You.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Are the updated RS1 tones really THAT bad? Is there a comparison video? Does it also gently caress up RS1 DLC?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Does steam not have the various packs of songs that go together, like the 70s packs? I can find bundles for individual artists, but none of the misc. ones.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Are the updated RS1 tones really THAT bad? Is there a comparison video? Does it also gently caress up RS1 DLC?

I got the first game + import for Steam today having previously had it on PS3. I didn't notice lovely tones when I played thru The Man Who Sold the World. At first it did sound a bit off, then I realized that was because of the lovely tuner. Once I got things tuned up right, tone sounded perfect. Not sure if this is just bias on my part or if the Macbook is better at music stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drgnvale posted:

Does steam not have the various packs of songs that go together, like the 70s packs? I can find bundles for individual artists, but none of the misc. ones.

It's hit or miss, some songs are really loving bad like Higher Ground, while others are fine. It's odd and hopefully they fix it.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 31, 2022

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Wait, I'm trying to download the pantera pack from Steam, and it clearly states the songs work for rocksmith 2014. When i go to download them however, it says I have to have the original rocksmith???

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

xzzy posted:

It's pretty awesome. Note detection isn't quite as sharp with the guitar, but due to the way the bass works it tends to error in your favor.

It's still great for learning the songs though, just because the game lets you cheat on your playing doesn't mean you have to.

That's fine because my bass sucks rear end, it has a fair bit of fret buzz because the frets need to be filed down, and I never actually bothered getting the intonation right so some of the higher frets are hilariously out of tune.

I'll probably get a new one that's not a cheap knock off around February once I knew enough about what I'm doing to warrant it.

havelock posted:

Lucky I don't have the game yet, nor own a guitar. Of course if I ever pick up a guitar in the future, but whatever.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll give it a shot. I'll order it on Friday when I inevitably buy tons of poo poo off of Amazon, and unless there's a steam sale on it, it's the same price on Amazon and Stream, but the Amazon version is bundled with the cable.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 28, 2013

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Wait, I'm trying to download the pantera pack from Steam, and it clearly states the songs work for rocksmith 2014. When i go to download them however, it says I have to have the original rocksmith???

I'm pretty sure you do have to have it. Luckily it is on sale right now.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Kaboobi posted:

fffuuuuuuckkk

time to go buy everything. :negative:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

prom candy posted:

Most of these are obvious, but as a lovely guitarist I really enjoy the following songs that I bought:

Dobie Grey - Drift Away
T-Rex - 20th Century Boy
Blink-182 - All the Small Things
Evanesence - Bring Me to Life
Blondie - Call Me
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
CCR - Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Black Keys - Gold on the Ceiling + Mind Eraser
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go

There are other songs I either didn't like as much, or weren't fun to play, or were too difficult to even get a bit into. Sometimes all of the above. Don't regret buying any of those songs though, and still have a few others I need to add to my collection at some point. Bring me a PS3 sale drat it.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

It's a bug in the way Steam handles DLC. You can either wait till it gets fixed or pick up RS1 in the sale. The songs do work in RS2014.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Fina posted:

I tried to play Cherub Rock and just quit when it switched to the distortion tone, gently caress.

Uh, that's RS2014 DLC, so it can't have gotten worse from RS1.

Another nice example: Gobbeldigook or whatever it's called in lead. Sound terrible in RS2014.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Being a 2014 DLC doesn't mean it can't sound awful! The Mastodon song sounds like absolute poo poo and it's on disc for 2014. It's possibly worse than Song 2.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

If anyone browsing the thread was waffling about buying RS1 for Xbox (aka .. the first game)- MS Store has the version with the Cable and the Bass expansion for 20 bucks as a Black Friday deal.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Rocksmith-Guitar-and-Bass-for-Xbox-360/productID.255246600

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Are all the RS2014 DLC's available for all systems? Is there any benifit to buying RS on one system as opposed to another?

Sjonkel fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 28, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I spent a good three hours with this game last night/this morning. It's a lot more fun trying to learn when I have actual feedback on the screen and I'm playing actual (albeit extremely simple) music. I got 100% on the first several lessons and stopped only because my fretting fingers would not allow me to continue anymore.

I think I might finally be able to strap in and learn, after owning a guitar and amp for two years and going nowhere.

However, that said, it also locked up on me 5 times, which was frustrating as hell.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Skuto posted:

Uh, that's RS2014 DLC, so it can't have gotten worse from RS1.

Another nice example: Gobbeldigook or whatever it's called in lead. Sound terrible in RS2014.

That song sounds wrong in both games as it's supposed to be played on an acoustic.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Sjonkel posted:

Are all the RS2014 DLC's available for all systems? Is there any benifit to buying RS on one system as opposed to another?

They are. There's no difference right now. Computer versions can be a bit faster to load but they did a good job on reducing and removing load times for RS2014. In the future it might be possible to play custom songs with RS2014 and presumably it will be easier with a PC version, but who knows when/if it will happen.

Cannot Find Server posted:

However, that said, it also locked up on me 5 times, which was frustrating as hell.

I'm assuming that's the old Rocksmith. It does that. It might also refuse to launch. But it's still a serviceable game for less money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I'm assuming that's the old Rocksmith. It does that. It might also refuse to launch. But it's still a serviceable game for less money.

No, this is 2014 on the 360. I searched and apparently a lot of other people also have the same issue and it didn't start happening until the latest patch. I assume it'll be fixed.