Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
A shame, because what I've played so far seems like a legitimately solid mech sim experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IIRC it was something about the cash-grabby experience of the game and I think poor balance choices from the devs ruining competitive play. Personally, I don't care about competitive play, I just want a fun experience.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

IIRC it was something about the cash-grabby experience of the game and I think poor balance choices from the devs ruining competitive play. Personally, I don't care about competitive play, I just want a fun experience.

Cash grabby as compared to what, TF2 or Marvel Puzzle Quest?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A.o.D. posted:

Cash grabby as compared to what, TF2 or Marvel Puzzle Quest?

I don't remember. I think there was something about a golden mech skin you could buy for $500 that generated a lot of disgust. Keep in mind, I last looked at the MWO thread something like 6 months ago.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I don't remember. I think there was something about a golden mech skin you could buy for $500 that generated a lot of disgust. Keep in mind, I last looked at the MWO thread something like 6 months ago.

Yeah those exist, but as far as I can tell, it's the equivalent of a hat.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It was largely mechanics such as "Ghost Heat" and the devs releasing progressively shittier maps.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

neogeo0823 posted:

Really bad/weird choices from the devs, the blatant cash grabs with mech packs, also they seemed to have no idea how to balance things which ended up leading into everyone having to chase the new meta to be competitive. Mech sims aren't that fun when everyone on both sides is playing sniper and if you lumber into view 8 guys will potshot you to death in 15 seconds.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

It was largely mechanics such as "Ghost Heat" and the devs releasing progressively shittier maps.

Ghost heat?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

A.o.D. posted:

Ghost heat?

People were 'boating' (putting large amounts of the same weapon on a mech) and basically just sniping/coring other mechs since all their stuff had the same range/deviation/etc, so the developers added 'ghost heat' which was a multiplier on how much heat each weapon generated if you had more than X on your mech. The multipliers were set arbitrarily by weapon type and they didn't even really fix the 'problem', but no mention of this 'feature' was ever put up anywhere in the patch notes or launcher, just one thread on the forums, so if you didn't read it you literally had no way to know what was happening.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

WarLocke posted:

People were 'boating' (putting large amounts of the same weapon on a mech) and basically just sniping/coring other mechs since all their stuff had the same range/deviation/etc, so the developers added 'ghost heat' which was a multiplier on how much heat each weapon generated if you had more than X on your mech. The multipliers were set arbitrarily by weapon type and they didn't even really fix the 'problem', but no mention of this 'feature' was ever put up anywhere in the patch notes or launcher, just one thread on the forums, so if you didn't read it you literally had no way to know what was happening.

drat, is the Nova prime going to be playable?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

drat, is the Nova prime going to be playable?

Yes, it'll be in the new expansion pack. http://www.mwomercs.com/clans

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yes, it'll be in the new expansion pack. http://www.mwomercs.com/clans

That's not what I meant at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

That's not what I meant at all.

Okay???

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

He's talking about the ghost heat thing. Novas, IIRC, were big huge laserboats, so having a bunch of weapons that generate tons of heat on a mech in a game that assigns additional heat based on how many of a type of gun you have is a bad idea.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

He's talking about the ghost heat thing. Novas, IIRC, were big huge laserboats, so having a bunch of weapons that generate tons of heat on a mech in a game that assigns additional heat based on how many of a type of gun you have is a bad idea.

Exactly this. In case you didn't know, I Said Come In!, the Nova prime packs 12 ER Medium Lasers, and nowhere near enough heat sinks to fire them all. My worry is that my favorite clan mech, already one of the most infamous heat boats in all of battle tech lore, will in fact be completely unplayable due to a poorly conceived game mechanic.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Exactly this. In case you didn't know, I Said Come In!, the Nova prime packs 12 ER Medium Lasers, and nowhere near enough heat sinks to fire them all. My worry is that my favorite clan mech, already one of the most infamous heat boats in all of battle tech lore, will in fact be completely unplayable due to a poorly conceived game mechanic.

It's really not much different than a Stalker alpha firing and going into overheat/shutdown. That's how they balance it. That said, gently caress them. I quit playing after they put third person in.

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

Blast of Confetti posted:

Runescape, if your definition of good actually means awful. It's fun! The goons are some of the chillest because they're either intoxicated enough to tolerate the game or are bots.

Runescape with a bit of booze would actually be fun as poo poo

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i dunno where to ask this and didn't want to make a new thread but it sort of might fit here since it was f2p. But there used to be a thread in here about this conversion sort of thing, I think it was of diablo 2 and probably mostly goon ran. It was an online thing, and they had basically made a whole new game out of it and I don't remember what it was called to search easily for it. I just know it was probably based on diablo 2, and it was either mostly, or all online and it seemed really neat. I wanted to try it. does anyone know what Im talking about or am I going nuts?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i dunno where to ask this and didn't want to make a new thread but it sort of might fit here since it was f2p. But there used to be a thread in here about this conversion sort of thing, I think it was of diablo 2 and probably mostly goon ran. It was an online thing, and they had basically made a whole new game out of it and I don't remember what it was called to search easily for it. I just know it was probably based on diablo 2, and it was either mostly, or all online and it seemed really neat. I wanted to try it. does anyone know what Im talking about or am I going nuts?

Eastern Sun?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

Eastern Sun?

yeah that was it, although i might be misremembering or mixing some stuff up. thanks!

e: I'm still sort of on the lookout for a free to play RPG mmo that my older laptop will run if anyone wants to throw out any suggestions. I had tried rift, liked it but it was randomly blue screening me. Neverwinter looked interesting but when I installed it, the game wouldn't do anything when I tried to launch it, maybe a bad install so reinstalling might work. But any ideas I could look into would be awesome

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 14, 2014

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I did a search and didn't see the Mechwarrior thread. I think it fell into the archives because it was that inactive. That or it was moved. I remember when Mechwarrior Online first came out a lot of goons were in super hype mode for this game.

It was sent into GBS when the mods did that thing where they traded threads with other subforums.

Good riddance, though. The game was hopeless and the thread toxic as hell.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
What about lineage if that's the one I'm thinking about. I heard it was really grindy but that's fine with me, I just like to mellow out and kill poo poo and work on my character sometimes without really thinking about a lot else. I want to say it was mostly f2p, but I might be confusing games with each other, it's been a while since I read up on MMOs

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Under no circumstances should anyone play Mechwarrior Online. It's a poo poo game run by completely fuckheaded developers. There is zero goon presence anymore and the thread was sent to GBS to die because both it and the game are irredeemable.

Stay away.

EDIT: Also this thread is about games that aren't cash grabs and MWO was one of the most infamous, biggest cash grabs I've ever seen in the gaming industry. They milked the property for all it was worth.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 14, 2014

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Downloading Dragon's prophet to try it out. I heard it's poo poo but wutev.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i wound up going with trying anarchy online out i guess

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Besides EvE Online what are the best MMOs for griefers? Especially those that have some sort of goon presence.

Age of Wushu if you want to annoy players by binge drinking and then puking on them until they get drunk as well. Star Trek Online if you want to receive death threats for annoying Orion slave girl RPers with fire extinguishers and disco balls and create your own missions based on goon memes.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I hear there is also APB. There is a very small goon following in that game and it seems to be designed around griefing.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ShadowMoo posted:

I hear there is also APB. There is a very small goon following in that game and it seems to be designed around griefing.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531

If by griefing you mean getting griefed by people who spent $60 for one gun and have thousands of hours invested into the game and know the map and objectives so well they pick the cheesiest possible way to win them by camping or picking certain optimal weapon combinations then yes it is designed around griefing. It's not uncommon to see people with lots of money and or time invested into the game keep switching to different weapons based on which is the most optimal for the situation. Unless you've invested thousands of hours into the game or have money spewing out of your nose you will not have the same versatility as these players and will highly suffer as a result. It's pay2win or grind2win because having the right weapon with lots of upgrades in it is paramount to winning a match and so is having a dedicated organized 4 man team with the most optimal weapons.

Most of the open world griefing mechanics were removed from APB because people bitched and moaned. The only real griefing technique in the current game is to intentionally lose matches to make the matchmaking think you suck rear end by arresting players and then killing them (killing an arrested player gives a score penalty). This technique is the entire APB meta and the only reason you should play APB. To be fair though it is a hilarious and wonderful griefing technique but you have to be disciplined enough to lose every match and kill every person you arrest.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 14, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Unguided posted:

Age of Wushu if you want to annoy players by binge drinking and then puking on them until they get drunk as well. Star Trek Online if you want to receive death threats for annoying Orion slave girl RPers with fire extinguishers and disco balls and create your own missions based on goon memes.

STO also has the benefit of an active goon player base that's ready and willing to show newbies the ropes and get them kitted out, and a cross-faction chat channel to help tune /zone out. Game's repetitive as gently caress, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for something to play with a friend of mine until DFO comes back.

What's something f2p, with a combo/juggling-based combat system, that actually models weapon collision detection?

We tried and ruled out Dragon Nest (ugly, crashed on my computer, my friend loved it though), RaiderZ (similar issues), and PSO2 (I enjoyed it but uninstalled a while back and gently caress dealing with translation patches.) Something less horrifically clunky and tacky than any of those would be great but I realize with f2p that's not likely to happen.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/rusty-hearts

Possibly rusty hearts? It is a 3d brawler rather than 2d. And the publisher is now perfect world so expect to grind your rear end off or pay money.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ShadowMoo posted:

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/rusty-hearts

Possibly rusty hearts? It is a 3d brawler rather than 2d. And the publisher is now perfect world so expect to grind your rear end off or pay money.

Sounds perfect, except for the publisher and we're probably not going to get to endgame anyways so it might not be that big a deal. Thanks!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Many stock or common mechs are completely unplayable. The MWO thread was moved to GBS so the people still playing it could be rightfully mocked.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sounds perfect, except for the publisher and we're probably not going to get to endgame anyways so it might not be that big a deal. Thanks!

Hit me up ingame as shadowmoo. Im gonna try it out.

Also.

Jonah Hex
May 22, 2014
I got a closed beta code at E3 for this http://bg.snailgame.com/home/. It goes open beta next week. Looks interesting. Downloading the client now.

EDIT: They have an odd microtransaction model.

http://www.zenofdesign.com/black-golds-shiny-new-microtransaction-model/ posted:

I’m all for innovating inside of the monetization space for games, but innovation implies better, and I’m not sure this applies.

Black Gold Online’s file save mode will record your playtime data, showing all materials and equipment looted in that specific timeframe. Players will be given a choice to purchase that specific “save” if you wish to acquire all of those items… This system aims only at paying for rare materials and high level equipments: Basic materials and equipments can be looted immediately without purchase.

I believe this translates to “you have to pay us for the right to actually keep any rare loot that you’ve found.” Doing this on some level isn’t unusual: SWTOR and Dungeon Runners limit the ability to equip epic items you find (one purchase unlocked the right to equip those items in both games), and Team Fortress 2 and Guild Wars 2 will drop chests that can only be opened with microtransactioned keys.

Of course, it’s difficult to tell for sure, since I’ve read it 3 times and, even with the helpful examples, am not exactly sure that I’ve gotten it right. That being said, anytime a customer base doesn’t UNDERSTAND your business model, they’re going to be extremely reluctant to give you their credit card information.

Jonah Hex fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 15, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

This is snail games so it's gonna be pay us 1000 dollars money and you will be better than everyone else. Then we will ban you for spending money and give you your account back if you pay us 4000 dollars.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, snail games is the company handling the USA release of Age of Wushu. I'm not 100% on the details, but I believe they recently introduced pets to the game, such as rabbits and elephants and the like. They had also recently completely crashed the market with their "methods" for dealing with gold farming bots in various forms. So, if you wanted to buy a pet outright instead of grinding endlessly for it, at the current price for gold, you'd be paying $600 for a pet bunny that follows you around.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Swordsman Online just went CB yesterday. It's like Age of Wushu but the combat is a hundred times better. It has open pvp/pking and it even broadcasts to the entire world who you killed and what you took from them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dungeon Fighter Online is amazing but you'll have to wait a pretty long time for the beta of the new release, the alpha ended pretty recently.

It's pretty much those arcade D&D beat-em-ups with peer to peer multiplayer and is fun and tight as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

Dungeon Fighter Online is amazing but you'll have to wait a pretty long time for the beta of the new release, the alpha ended pretty recently.

It's pretty much those arcade D&D beat-em-ups with peer to peer multiplayer and is fun and tight as hell.

I know, I was in the alpha. The game's kind of a miracle -- the devs had no prior experience except for making a couple of casual/browser games before making it IIRC, and it shows in places, but it still manages to somehow be better than a F2P korean MMO has any right to be. And the up-to-date version is supposed to fix a lot of the early game jank to boot.

• Locked thread