Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Has anyone tried Jagged Alliance Online? All the review make it sound like poo poo so I haven't downloaded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

BadLlama posted:

Has anyone tried Jagged Alliance Online? All the review make it sound like poo poo so I haven't downloaded it.

It's pretty good if you liked the original JA games, but after you complete the limited campaign, it becomes completely PvP and you have to pay $20? to unlock the full single-player campaign. I wasn't interested in PvP so I didn't try it much, can't say whether it was good or bad.

In other news, I started playing Defiance for the first time and it's pretty fun! Some goons are trying to revive it since it went F2P a couple of weeks ago.

Check us out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640185

We have a PGS thread too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643631

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
ZMR (Zombie Monster Robots) Is in another round of CBT. It is like a multiplayer serious sam. It would be an awesome game if not for the chronic lag spikes every 5-10 mins. Could use a Goon clan. http://www.gamepedia.com/betas/zmr-closed-beta-key-giveaway The game is run by Enmasse Entertainment (Tera)

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ShadowMoo posted:

ZMR (Zombie Monster Robots) Is in another round of CBT. It is like a multiplayer serious sam. It would be an awesome game if not for the chronic lag spikes every 5-10 mins. Could use a Goon clan. http://www.gamepedia.com/betas/zmr-closed-beta-key-giveaway The game is run by Enmasse Entertainment (Tera)

Thanks for posting this up it looks a lot like the short PvE mode that GunZ 2 had and I was a bit miffed there wasn't a solid arcade co-op TPS out there.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
It also has pvp (which no one plays due to lag).

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is there a good F2P (or at least no subscription) MMO for if I just want to relax and gather/craft and not have to fight stuff all the time?

I tried Landmark very briefly, and the whole claiming land thing was a huge mess. I think I lasted about ten minutes with Villagers & Heroes, hacking away at a tree to get apples.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
You can try Wurm. The graphics are poo poo but it is hardcore crafting (you die if you don't craft food to eat.) http://www.wurmonline.com/ Be warned though, game is made in Java.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is there a good F2P (or at least no subscription) MMO for if I just want to relax and gather/craft and not have to fight stuff all the time?

I tried Landmark very briefly, and the whole claiming land thing was a huge mess. I think I lasted about ten minutes with Villagers & Heroes, hacking away at a tree to get apples.

This is pretty much what I'm looking for. All the games with cool crafting and housing are also open pvp and I don't like being griefed constantly by manchildren.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

Lord of the Rings Online sounds to be right up your alley. I strongly suggest you check it out. Turbine is in the process of driving away all of the groupers and raiders(this used to be a great game for all that stuff) and making the game into a story-focused faceroll. Normally, that would sound like a losing proposition to most people, but it's an absolute boon if you just want to make a hungry Hobbit or pretty Elf girl that just wants to farm taters and bake pies all day. LotRO is PvE only(except for a single, isolated zone)!

LotRO's crafting system is much like WoW's, but more accessible and with slightly easier requirements. I love to craft too, and I personally love LotRO's system. They have all of the standard crafts that you'd expect, with a few miscellaneous ones thrown is. My Favorite is Scholar, which is used to make potions, dyes and a huge amount of miscellaneous class-specific buffs n' poo poo.

Turbine only seems to be interested in retaining players like yourself at this point. I think it's safe to say that LotRO is the most RP-Friendly MMO on the entire market, but you don't HAVE to RP. In any MMO, only 10-15% of the players actually roleplay on the RP servers(so don't let that scare you off if you're not into it). Roll on the Landroval server, which is "RP Encouraged", and the second most populous server overall. It also happens to be my home server. You'll find entire Kinships(Guilds) devoted to crafting on Landroval, or on Laurelin(the smaller EU RP server).

Let me know if you have any questions, or visit the SA thread.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I forgot to mention it, but I've played quite a bit of LotRO already (65 hours on the Steam version, plus some standalone). I got pretty far along making weapons, then on another character got farming up to grand master, did some cooking too, and made another character to play around with scholar a bit.

Farming/cooking was great because as I got higher level I could just buy better seeds and not even have to worry about leaving town. I managed with the other crafting classes well enough by weaving between enemies to gather materials, but that got tiresome after a while (still better than fighting anything in that game though). That is pretty much what I'm looking for, I've just had about enough of LotRO.

ShadowMoo posted:

You can try Wurm. The graphics are poo poo but it is hardcore crafting (you die if you don't craft food to eat.) http://www.wurmonline.com/ Be warned though, game is made in Java.
I tried this briefly. I must've spent half an hour walking down a road, encountering giant spider corpses every few minutes, to get out of town. Then I spent about 15 minutes very slowly killing a calf, butchered it, and called it a day. I think it's a bit too much for me, honestly.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If you find a good LotRO-like alternative that has crafting that's as good or better, please mention it. I'd be interested in checking it out.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

AlmightyBob posted:

This is pretty much what I'm looking for. All the games with cool crafting and housing are also open pvp and I don't like being griefed constantly by manchildren.

Last try at this that I remember outside of ATitD was SEED back in like 2006, which flopped horribly. Entire game was based around crafting and keeping the starbase from falling apart around your ears. It was a neat idea tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_(video_game)

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 11, 2014

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Has anyone been into Perpetuum at all? With all the enthusiasm over Eve here I am surprised that it doesn't have a thread.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Has anyone been into Perpetuum at all? With all the enthusiasm over Eve here I am surprised that it doesn't have a thread.
I played a bit way back. It's fun enough and I've been thinking of returning because of the new model.
There used to be a thread back when people were mad at CCP because of hats or something, but everyone ended up going back to eve once that issue died down.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sorta MMOs but does anyone know how Vindictus and Warframe are doing?

I had a ton of fun with both until the first was full of unfun grind and temporary items while the second was annoying because of the erratic development team.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Have you tried Vindictus on Steam? People seem to enjoy that. It's kinda like a Dungeon Fighter in 3D. You can buy some really weird poo poo like new underwear colors, and it's anime as hell, but I played a little with a friend, and she and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Only done the first area though. And as the poster above me said, the grind is pretty bad, so get a group.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Inzombiac posted:

Sorta MMOs but does anyone know how Vindictus and Warframe are doing?

I had a ton of fun with both until the first was full of unfun grind and temporary items while the second was annoying because of the erratic development team.
When did you last try Vindictus? A while ago, the devs made some changes to speed up the low- and mid-level grind. Mostly, they added more battles and streamlined the tedious sidequests to not be as tedious. They've also introduced a bunch of new characters, most of which are more fun to play than the original ones.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ArchWizard posted:

When did you last try Vindictus? A while ago, the devs made some changes to speed up the low- and mid-level grind. Mostly, they added more battles and streamlined the tedious sidequests to not be as tedious. They've also introduced a bunch of new characters, most of which are more fun to play than the original ones.

Last time I played, the archer had just released. Got him to 15 or so and wasn't having fun anymore.
Then again, I never got my scythe Evie to max level and that's a shame.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Reicere posted:

I played a bit way back. It's fun enough and I've been thinking of returning because of the new model.
There used to be a thread back when people were mad at CCP because of hats or something, but everyone ended up going back to eve once that issue died down.

It seems pretty awesome, but the numbers have me kind of worried. Only 35 people are playing it through Steam on average, and the official forums seem kinda, well, dead.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this yet, but there's a Heroes of Might and Magic MMO that came out on Sept 30. It is a bit buggy and they do charge for things like inventory slots and char slots, but overall you really dont "need" them. It kind of fills the void of online tactical-rpg but without unit customization. Oh, and it's browser based. Use Chrome for best results.

e: heroes-online.com

Setset fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 11, 2014

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
Face of Mankind is having a go at another run, f2p on steam. Was kind of expecting to find a thread about it, but seems to have gone under the radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Prallax Litovsk posted:

Face of Mankind is having a go at another run, f2p on steam. Was kind of expecting to find a thread about it, but seems to have gone under the radar.

I remember that game from years ago. It was kind of utter poo poo when I played it last, since you had to AFK at a console to make anything, and people could literally just walk up to you and shoot you in the skull and you'd likely never be able to do anything about it. The whole game boiled down to "whoever gets there first wins, unless they aren't paying attention". Obviously, it might have improved in the intervening years, but yeah, it was really bad back then.

• Locked thread