Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

* Please don't sperg out about this image, it's meant to be a silly header for the thread

This is the general discussion and game thread in one. Since the Xbox One is now out, the traffic for 360-related discussion will be even lower than it was.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: I can't do ____________ on Live, is Xbox Live down?

Maybe! Did you check the service status page? If everything's OK according to the service status it's either an emerging issue, or something temporary that is caused by your ISP or networking hardware.

Q: Do I really need a larger hard drive? Isn't the 4 GB flash memory enough?

If you are simply playing disc-based content, then yes, it's fine. If you plan on downloading DLC, XBLA games, etc., or if you want to take advantage of the game install feature, then it is advised to acquire an Xbox that has a hard drive. Also note that certain games will require a hard drive, like GTA V.

Q: Can I use the hard drive from a old Xbox inside the new Xbox 360 S?

Yes, you can. There are many guides (both text and video) on the internet, but here's the gist of the process:

1) Use a Torx screwdriver and disassemble the old Xbox 360 hard drive caddy.
2) Open the hard drive bay on the side of the new Xbox 360 S.
3) Line up the SATA connector on the hard drive with the connector inside the Xbox 360.
4) Insert the hard drive in the bay until you feel a solid hookup between the hard drive and the console.

Q: Why does my Xbox stay on after I have turned it off?

It could be one of many reasons. Saves are being uploaded to the cloud, queued downloads need to finish or the console is uploading stuff like stats or crash data.

Q: I can't get any picture when I turn on my Xbox, but I hear sounds. What can I do?

You can reset your video settings by following instructions on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911059

Q: I got a Red Ring of Death (RROD) or E74 error, help?

Submit a repair request to Microsoft, they'll fix your console or replace it for free as long as you're within your 3-year warranty period (from date of purchase).

Q: My Xbox is pretty far away from my router and I don't want to run cables through my home or spend money on the official wireless adapter, what are my options?

Use a laptop or a router as your wireless receiver. Here are some guides:

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2007/10/02/how-to-cheap-wireless-for-your-xbox-360/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-your-laptop-as-an-XboxXbox-360-wireless-adap/

These are by no means the only guides out there.

Note: The Xbox 360 S has a built-in Wireless-N receiver.

Q: My Xbox says my NAT is "Strict", how do I fix this?

If your router supports it, enable UPnP, this should allow the router to open the ports required for your NAT to be "Open." Otherwise, manually open the following ports:

TCP 80
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
UDP 53
TCP 53

More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

(Try doing one or the other, not both at the same time)

Q: Can I hook up an Xbox 360 to my LCD monitor?

Yes! And thanks to the NXE dashboard update, resolutions seen on many monitors are now supported. Get the official VGA cable or the one from Monoprice and you're good to go!

Q: I want to hook up an HDMI cable to my Xbox and make use of optical audio, but the AV cable that came with my Xbox is blocking the HDMI port - help?

Two solutions:

1) Buy this adapter from Monoprice, or

2) Make use of a DIY solution like this one: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Xbox360-HDMI-RCA-audio/

Note: The Xbox 360 S has a built-in optical port so the above does not apply.

Q: How do I stream video to my Xbox?

There's two ways:

1) Make sure you turn on Media Sharing in Windows Media Player 11 and share folders that contain the video you want to watch. On your Xbox dashboard, navigate to the "Video Library" card under the "My Xbox" section, hit A, and you should see your computer in the list of video sources. In there you can select and view the video files you are sharing, and if the file format is supported it should start playing. (An optional media update may download for you to be able to play something like DivX).

2) If the previous method doesn't work or only works half the time, or you have more exotic file formats like matroska (.mkv), you may want to consider using something like TVersity or PS3 Media Server. Mac users have a choice between Connect360 or Rivet

Q: How do I transfer my stuff from the 20GB/60GB/120GB to a new 60GB/120GB/250GB hard drive?

You can either transfer files via a memory card, but not all files will be copied, or you can use a data migration kit. This kit only comes with the purchase of a 120GB or 250GB HDD, but not the 60GB HDD.

You can call Microsoft and have them send you a kit, or buy one online for $14.99 from Microsoft here.

Check out this thread in SA-Mart where goons are trading the transfer kit with each other. Help out if you can!

(June 2010) Data transfer kits will be available soon in retail stores, costing $19.99.

You can also use USB flash drives to transfer data bit by bit.

Q: I recently transferred my licences to a different console, but when I try to download stuff it tells me downloads are assigned to another console, what gives?

Read this.

I have a month left on my Live subscription, what happens if I renew now?

Xbox Live subscriptions stack, up to five years. So for example if you add a 12 month subscription to one that has 3 months left, you will have 15 months of Xbox Live Gold.

Recommend me some headsets!

Turtle Beach, Tritton and Astro.

What are some great games? Recommend me some!

Scroll down to the second post.

USEFUL LINKS

Xbox Live Marketplace
You can browse, buy and queue up items for download from the comfort of your computer.

Download History
A quick and easy way to view all your purchases and downloads on your account. Sorts by content type and allows you to add items to your download queue.

Xbox Support
Register your console at this site and submit your repair requests online.

Major Nelson
Microsoft's Larry Hryb aka Major Nelson posts a lot about Xbox stuff, some of it pretty interesting and useful.

@XboxSupport
You can ask Xbox Support questions directly via Twitter!

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Recommended Games:

(* denotes console exclusive but may in some cases be on PC/Mac/iOS/Android/Windows Phone as well)

Shooter/FPS:

Halo Reach*
Halo ODST*
Gears Of War series*
Bulletstorm
Bioshock
Borderlands 2
Far Cry 3
The Darkness
Deus Ex Human Revolution

Action:

Red Dead Redemption
Arkham Asylum/City
Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood/IV
Saints Row 2
Saints Row 4 (CzarChasm)
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Mirror's Edge (Shadow225)
Sleeping Dogs (Shadow225)
Crackdown* (Shadow225)
Dead Rising* (Shadow225)

Racing:

Forza Horizon*
Burnout Paradise
Need For Speed: Most Wanted

RPG:

Dark Souls
Lost Odyssey*
Tales of Vesperia
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Mass Effect series
Fallout: New Vegas
Alpha Protocol
Blue Dragon* (Alteisen)
South Park: The Stick of Truth

Platformer:

Rayman Origins/Legends

Fighting:

Mortal Kombat
Injustice (CzarChasm)

Co-Op:

Most LEGO games
Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
Earth Defense Force 2017
Ilomilo*
50 Cents: Blood on the Sand
Portal 2 (CzarChasm)
Charlie Murder* (Shadow225)
Castle Crashers (Shadow225)
Scott Pilgrim (Shadow225)

Party:

Rock Band 3 (CzarChasm)
Dance Central 2*
You Don't Know Jack
Deadliest Warrior (coyo7e)

XBLA:

Shadow Complex*
Mark of the Ninja*
State of Decay*
Bastion*
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Final Fight: Double Impact (univbee)
The Walking Dead (Shadow225)

Xbox Live Indie Games:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46986

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 9, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xbox 360, you were seriously one of the best consoles ever. It's sad to see you no longer be current gen, and get replaced with a lovely console at that. That said i'm still going to be playing my 360 for the next couple years at least. This system still has plenty of life left in it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Even though I won't renew Xbox Live, I'll keep it plugged in for years. Thanks, old friend.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Bring back blades. Or anything that isn't the current dashboard.

Also, I miss Chromehounds. :smith:

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
At some point in your life you're going to be sent a link to a Buzzfeed article gushing endlessly on about how 2000's the XBox 360 was and you're going to click it and agree with it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Sega, bring back the Chromehounds servers and play some Skynrd!

Also, much respect for the 360 giving me Dead Rising 1 which blew my mind seeing so many zombies at once just casually chilling in the mall. And they had enough to choke up a sewer tunnel that further blew my mind. A real "this is next gen" moment for me.

As a recommendation for the OP FAQ, I'd add "Do I get to keep my Games With Gold freebies if I let Gold lapse" question.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 23, 2013

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
It's been a great console with some incredible games. I'm going PS4 for next-gen but will certainly keep my 360 around for a while.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

A great console that went to absolute poo poo in the final years of its life. I have fond memories though, particularly of Chromehounds, Gears of War, Geometry Wars and the initial wow factor when I bought a Premium console at launch and played Project Gotham Racing 3 for the first time :swoon:

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Playing through Remember Me which I got from the last Gamefly sale and I'm really enjoying it. The combat is sticky, slow and generally not fun, and the platforming's basically on rails. However the presentation and the story are quite good. It reminds me a lot of Enslaved, with that really high level of production value and total commitment to the world they've created.

If you see it for ten or fifteen bucks, I say get it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
The 360 was a pioneer in decent online. God speed. May your dlc be downloaded for decades to come and not be hosed over by new microsoft leadership.

GT CHIZMACKKK

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I've recently started clearing my backlog after not really playing that much for the past few years, but I still have ways to go. I'm going through my disc games first so I can get rid of them, no rush with the digital stuff since I'm not getting either of the next-gen consoles.

So far I've played half an hour of Perfect Dark Zero (holy poo poo that game was so bad), finished Gears of War 2 (much better than 1, but got way worse towards the end), and am currently going through Gears of War 3 (really loving good so far). Next up are Tomb Raider Underworld, Resident Evil 5, and a bunch of jrpgs that are going to take forever (Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey).

I only got the 360 as late as 2009 primarily because I needed something to play new fighting games on with Street Fighter IV coming out and it was the cheaper option (in retrospect this was a mistake in the sense that like 90% of our fighting game scene went PS3), and it really has been a wonderful console. Also had a strangely good shmup selection for a console that didn't do well in Japan, and Mushihime-sama Futari probably ended up being my favorite 360-exclusive game.

Veib fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 23, 2013

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I got an Xbox 360 specifically for all the ports of Cave's shmups, and ended up paying many dollars for a really god arcade stick for it as well for that very reason. Even aside from that, it's had a lot of great games. In recenter months I've dived deep into XBLIG, to dig out that percentage of gold you can actually find there. Being a speedrunner, something like half my current list of games I run are X360 games, and it was an X360 game that became the first "next-gen" game I got interested in speedrunning.

My first console for the generation was a Wii, which I don't regret, but I've definitely spent more money and probably time on my X360. Hell, I haven't played anything on the Wii for months, whereas the X360 I use almost daily (even if it's just for watching movies while I'm eating).

My backlog is growing, and Games with Gold isn't doing anything to help that, even though I don't really care about several of them.

Next generation will be jumped into eventually - next console for me will be a 3DS since that now has games I care about, then it's likely to be a Wii U once that has games I care about and even later a PS4 once that has games I care about.

I also believe I own the immortal Xbox 360, it's one of the really old model without even HDMI (bought it used), it survived a trip from Sweden to America and back again in my checked in luggage and the only time I ever saw any red lights on it it was because I hadn't plugged the power supply in properly.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

and ended up paying many dollars for a really god arcade stick for it as well for that very reason.

Yeah, I've been there as well. I got a MadCatz TE during the SF4 launch craze when they were sold out everywhere constantly. Stick + postage to Finland + customs ended up costing more than the console, but it was very much worth it. This was also the first time I've ever had to use a fax machine, because the US Gamestop webstore wanted me to fax my credit card statement to prove my identity, which I felt was an incredibly archaic way to handle things.

(ps. cool av Ufouria is an amazing game)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Veib posted:

Stick + postage to Finland + customs ended up costing more than the console
Yeah, I had exactly this except replace Finland with Sweden (customs can go suck a duck). I got a Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE, all Seimitsu parts. Would have had a harder time justifying the cost if I couldn't use it for the computer as well. Have ended up using it to play some other arcade-y games too, but I really think I'll switch back to pad for Double Dragon Neon since I can't figure out any comfortable layout on stick for that. On the other end of the scale there's Scott Pilgrim that I've gotten so used to playing with the stick that I pretty much can't play it with pad anymore and that doesn't even have a control config (note to every game developer ever: Always have a control config).

(it is and I have the world record but that's a story for the speedrun thread)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

This thread makes me sad and feel old. :(

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'll try to pick a favourite game from each year for the Xbox 360.

2006: Oblivion
2007: The Orange Box
2008: Fallout 3
2009: Left 4 Dead 2
2010: Singularity
2011: Skyrim
2012: Far Cry 3
2013: Tomb Raider

It was a goddamn solid system, and it's a shame the sequel is having so many problems. I've treated mine very well and it's last 4.5 years with no issues. I've never finished a whole 162-game season in any baseball game ever, but I'm gradually playing through a save of MLB 2K7.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It was a goddamn solid system, and it's a shame the sequel is having so many problems. I've treated mine very well and it's last 4.5 years with no issues. I've never finished a whole 162-game season in any baseball game ever, but I'm gradually playing through a save of MLB 2K7.

I've been out of the loop, but is the XBone a total flop? I haven't decided which, if any, new console I get but I haven't heard of the XBone's issues.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sandwolf posted:

I've been out of the loop, but is the XBone a total flop? I haven't decided which, if any, new console I get but I haven't heard of the XBone's issues.

It's got problems, yeah. I think goons are playing them up a bit, but parties don't work as well, voice commands are unreliable, and the exclusive games are all terrible. The PS4 is cheaper and has higher resolution, I don't see anything the Xbone has going for it unless you really want to carry over your friends list.

It makes me nostalgic to look at my friends list and remember all the people I've played with, and a little sad to remember how long it's been now.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

They've sold a million, same as the PS4 (although the PS4 is yet to launch in Europe), they both have issues, but as a pure games machine the PS4 seems to be the better choice so far.

It'll be a year or so before we can declare anything a flop, but as someone who loved the 360 and didn't have a PS3 I was wholly disappointed by nearly everything that came out of MS's mouths this year regarding the One, so I'm switching to PS4 for next gen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember that the PS3 had a laughable launch as well and Sony eventually made up the difference with services and exclusives. These things take a long time to work themselves out and there's an enormous amount of money involved.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Oh absolutely, I'm not counting MS out completely, it took years for Sony to turnaround the PS3 but they did it eventually. All I'm saying is that IMO the PS4 is the better choice right now.

Anyway, did that South Park RPG get pushed to March or something? I thought it was going to come out next month?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I initially got the 360 because of Dead Rising, back before the media got oversaturated with zombie stuff. Now that I think about it, I didn't get as much use out of the console as I thought I would, especially once Steam started getting better and multiplatform games started showing up on PC. I guess it didn't help that my first system died after about a year and a half of use. I pretty much just have it for exclusives and a couple of games that run better on it than the PS3 or aren't on the PC, mostly Bayonetta. I also enjoyed several XBLA games, even if the online communities for most would die within a week.

Online gaming on consoles is something I never really enjoyed, and it goes back to those communities. I didn't like having to pay for Xbox Live so I could play online, and when I did have it, all the games I wanted to play online were either inactive (every XBLA game) or the servers were shut down (Chromehounds, Crimson Skies (rip original Xbox online)). It seemed like, if I wanted to play a game online, it had to be Call of Duty or Halo, and I wasn't interested in either. And most of my friends aren't big on gaming, so I'd just play with a bunch of strangers who would yell racist poo poo in an 11-year-old's voice in random games. It wasn't much better on the PS3, except that I didn't have to pay to play online I guess. I suppose this is still why I don't think online multiplayer is a big deal for consoles, but I know I'm in the minority on that opinion. Online gaming on the PC kinda spoiled me.

That being said, what's the over-under for Microsoft shutting down the 360's internet support like they did with the original? As minor as the original Xbox's online features were, I have Crimson Skies DLC I'll never be able to download again. It's going to be a much bigger deal when they shut down the 360's servers and we lose download access to all the DLC and XBLA games purchased over the years.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 23, 2013

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

I initially got the 360 because of Dead Rising, back before the media got oversaturated with zombie stuff. Now that I think about it, I didn't get as much use out of the console as I thought I would, especially once Steam started getting better and multiplatform games started showing up on PC. I guess it didn't help that my first system died after about a year and a half of use. I pretty much just have it for exclusives and a couple of games that run better on it than the PS3 or aren't on the PC, mostly Bayonetta. I also enjoyed several XBLA games, even if the online communities for most would die within a week.

Online gaming on consoles is something I never really enjoyed, and it goes back to those communities. I didn't like having to pay for Xbox Live so I could play online, and when I did have it, all the games I wanted to play online were either inactive (every XBLA game) or the servers were shut down (Chromehounds, Crimson Skies (rip original Xbox online)). It seemed like, if I wanted to play a game online, it had to be Call of Duty or Halo, and I wasn't interested in either. And most of my friends aren't big on gaming, so I'd just play with a bunch of strangers who would yell racist poo poo in an 11-year-old's voice in random games. It wasn't much better on the PS3, except that I didn't have to pay to play online I guess. I suppose this is still why I don't think online multiplayer is a big deal for consoles, but I know I'm in the minority on that opinion.

That being said, what's the over-under for Microsoft shutting down the 360's internet support like they did with the original? As minor as the original Xbox's online features were, I have Crimson Skies DLC I'll never be able to download again. It's going to be a much bigger deal when they shut down the 360's servers and we lose download access to all the DLC and XBLA games I've purchased over the years.

There is no over-under, it says right in the ToS they can discontinue the service with 30 days notice at any time. Exactly like what they did to Xbox original's Live.

It will go down some day and it won't be a big deal because they won't do it until the system is irrelevant. It is almost as if they have done this before.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

There is no over-under, it says right in the ToS they can discontinue the service with 30 days notice at any time. Exactly like what they did to Xbox original's Live.

It will go down some day and it won't be a big deal because they won't do it until the system is irrelevant. It is almost as if they have done this before.

Well, at least that gives me 30 days to make sure I have all my poo poo downloaded before the servers go down.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If that happens, they should at least make the system to any size data storage. Of course, once MS stops officially caring about the thing it'll be open season for homebrewers and pirates so you'll probably be able to get back whatever you lost one way or another.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

It's got problems, yeah. I think goons are playing them up a bit, but parties don't work as well, voice commands are unreliable, and the exclusive games are all terrible. The PS4 is cheaper and has higher resolution, I don't see anything the Xbone has going for it unless you really want to carry over your friends list.

It makes me nostalgic to look at my friends list and remember all the people I've played with, and a little sad to remember how long it's been now.

The Xbone has a few things going for it, like a couple of use cases for Snap that would be handy and legitimately useful and some evolutions of Achievements that could be interesting to see in action. Their Game DVR editing package is better than PS4s even if their actual DVR function is awkward and far more limited than PS4s is. Bundling in a quality headset is also a plus versus the earbud of the PS4 (although not encouraging that the headset was necessary when it comes with Kinect). And some people are pleased enough with Kinect to consider it a positive.

But there's lots of things that aren't so great, some you can't take back even. The power disparity will never go away, stealing wind from the argument that compared it to the PS3 Cell learning curve. A lot of features are delayed into 2014 and they're incredibly far behind the curve on indie games and were already starting from a position of negativity it seems from indie developers. There was an argument that it was intended for a Spring 2014 release and while that would have made it more feature complete, I think it would have been the worst idea possible to launch a console in the Spring for a lot of reasons. Compromising the quality of audio on HDMI In is a complete interest killer for it being a passthrough TV device and their beta solution sounds like its only incrementally on the road to making it truly passthrough. If they don't get an actual fix it would be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I think with real software development effort they can address a lot of stuff and hopefully make the HDMI In situation a stronger case for the people interested in it. If they could figure out a way to integrate a cable box's DVR into their interface I think it would go a long, long way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ape Agitator posted:

I think with real software development effort they can address a lot of stuff and hopefully make the HDMI In situation a stronger case for the people interested in it. If they could figure out a way to integrate a cable box's DVR into their interface I think it would go a long, long way.

They sort of had that on the 360 with the Media Center Extender functionality, with an HDHomeRun connected to my LAN to use a cablecard and a PC with Media Center to distribute the signal and record the shows I've been using my 360 as a cable box for the last year or so and it works better than any box the cable company has given me, without the need to run cables everywhere to boot.

With all the focus on a singular entertainment solution they've been trying to push with Xbone, you'd think they'd maybe improve on a winning formula and iron out the kinks that the previous setup had. But no, of course they didn't put Media Center on it and you have to pay $10 AND have the "pro" version of Win 8 to even get the goddamn media center on there. I guess they assume that carrier-specific apps like the Xfinity / Fios ones on 360 will fill that niche although there are plenty of people that are not on either of those carriers and from what I used of the Fios app at my parents' place, those apps are gigantic pieces of poo poo anyway.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

2008: Fallout 3
2009: Left 4 Dead 2
2010: Singularity
2011: Skyrim
2012: Far Cry 3
2013: Tomb Raider

I have a impressive backlog of games I have yet to go to and these are amongst them. I'm not 20 anymore so time, opportunity and other interests have held me up. I'll be giggling like a drunken teenage girl when ordering these on Amazon when they're in the $10 range.

Now I realize this will happen with the PS3 and I'm considering going down this road for their exclusives as well. I always did want to try out this Gods of War thingamjig.

So xbone in 2017 I'm thinking.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

raditts posted:

If that happens, they should at least make the system to any size data storage. Of course, once MS stops officially caring about the thing it'll be open season for homebrewers and pirates so you'll probably be able to get back whatever you lost one way or another.

Speaking of storage and backing up data and all that, now I wonder about game patches. Are there games on the 360 that are absolutely broken to the point that you would need a patch to play them? If somebody decides they want to buy old 360 games like the way retro gamers are doing now with SNES games or whatever, and they end up with one of those broken games, would there be a way to install patches via USB or some other method?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

I have a impressive backlog of games I have yet to go to and these are amongst them. I'm not 20 anymore so time, opportunity and other interests have held me up. I'll be giggling like a drunken teenage girl when ordering these on Amazon when they're in the $10 range.

Now I realize this will happen with the PS3 and I'm considering going down this road for their exclusives as well. I always did want to try out this Gods of War thingamjig.

So xbone in 2017 I'm thinking.

They were just selling the previous five god of War games on the PS3 for around 2 dollars each at Gamestop last month.

So you could get the HD releases of the PSP games on the PS3, the first two PS2 games on their HD set for the PS3, and the stand alone God of War III for around 10 bucks in total.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

They were just selling the previous five god of War games on the PS3 for around 2 dollars each at Gamestop last month.

So you could get the HD releases of the PSP games on the PS3, the first two PS2 games on their HD set for the PS3, and the stand alone God of War III for around 10 bucks in total.

Just as a warning that you should not play those game in a row. You will get burned out really really quickly. They're very same-y games. Put at least one game between each.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mercury Crusader posted:

Speaking of storage and backing up data and all that, now I wonder about game patches. Are there games on the 360 that are absolutely broken to the point that you would need a patch to play them? If somebody decides they want to buy old 360 games like the way retro gamers are doing now with SNES games or whatever, and they end up with one of those broken games, would there be a way to install patches via USB or some other method?

I'm not sure how kosher this is to talk about but I'll say it anyway just for the information. The people who are in the 360 piracy scene have so far managed to gather just about all patches, downloadable content, and games available for the 360, and they have their ways of transferring patches without needing to go through actual Xbox Live. Obviously all of this is stuff you wouldn't want to do now since doing it will probably get your console banned from Live, but it's all doable.

Some patches can even be simply copied, without hacking or anything, off of a normal unmodified 360's storage to a USB stick in order to be put on another 360 and have the game be fully patched without live. Many game title updates show up in the 360's storage manager as copyable and moveable objects, and they can just be transferred between regular consoles, usually.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bought my 360 purely for Dead Rising, bought many things after that.

I did have a hell of a start with my Xbox though, first model had issues with the laser and hosed up some games, 2nd one lasted 3 months before it red ringed, 3rd one lasted a day(same laser issue) and my 4th was the only that lasted through heavy use for 3 years before succumbing to an E74 error. I stopped with the Xbox at that point and grabbed the slim one much later, that one is still kicking.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Just plowing through my backlog right now. I've been going to Gamestop every couple weeks to dig through their used games and watching Live and Amazon for deals. Currently playing Castlevania: LoS, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and COD Ghosts.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm doing the same, just trying to slowly work through my backlog. What's been helping me the most is that TrueAchievements has recently added a 'winstreak' feature (try to get at least one achievement every day for X amount of days) and it's been a really good push to keep me cleaning stuff out. So far I'm 22 days in :toot:

If anyone else is using the site, don't forget to join the SA leaderboard we've got going on.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

2006: Oblivion

gently caress yeah, 11 years old, launching that game for the first time, going :aaa: when I exited the sewers :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Farecoal posted:

gently caress yeah, 11 years old, launching that game for the first time, going :aaa: when I exited the sewers :allears:

I know exactly what you're talking about it, but it was Fallout 3 at age 16. I actually got my 360 pretty late, so I had to look up the release date of the pre-2009 games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

You guys sure know to make a man feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

raditts posted:

You guys sure know to make a man feel old.

When I was 7 I told everyone that I wanted a PS2 for Christmas. Grandma got me a NES game from the Christian bookstore. She tried :unsmith:

• Locked thread