Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Pirates of the Burning Sea is a pirate game set in the caribbean by Flying Labs Software. But then Sony got the game and didn’t support it. The creators of this game have left Flying Labs Software and reformed as Portalus Games and are relaunching the game independent of Sony.

Download link is after sign up. This is not a beta.
You will have to download physx from their site after the patch is done if you do not have it already.

Game website does not have much at the moment.
Game Website

:siren:Servers are up.:siren:

Goons currently have one guild and it is on Antigua. It is called "Pink Ponces."

I am Grithok Gitrock. If I see you online I'll throw you an invite. You can also hit me up on steam if you need an invite.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Third_World_Reggin/

We don't know if anything has changed gameplay wise, so here is the old OP.

WHAT IS PIRATES OF THE BURNING SEA:

Pirates of the Burning Sea (POTBS or short) is a naval combat game with a player driven economy and a global Conquest system. As a player, you can make all the components for ships and equipment and participate in large Port Battles to take over enemy cities. Once one side achieves so many 'victory points' that side wins and the server is 'reset' (all ports go back to original owner and the Conquest system starts over again).

Ship combat is about the most fun you can have in a game. Using the wind is important and firing big salvos of cannons at enemies is incredibly satisfying. Avatar combat is pretty bad. Character and Ship customization is pretty hilarious due to all the crazy outfits and options.

NATION CLASSES

Each nation is broken down into three different classes listed below. Each national class has a pretty clear cut job in battle, although Privateers are probably the most versatile.

Naval Officer - Heavy Hitter, Big Defense

The Naval Officers typically sail the gigantic Ships of the Line. These are fast, but not maneuverable. They turn like a dump truck, but they also unload cannons like one. Warships are typically faster in a straight line than a Scout ship, but are incredibly slowed by turning and do not accelerate fast. Naval Officer skills favor this type of play. Lots of damage, lots of defense and some speed.

Most people choose this class. Be this class if you want to do a lot of damage and tank.

Privateer - Tackler

Privateers specialize in maneuverability and disabling. They are also essential for open world PVP. Privateers are the only Nation Class able to initiate battles in world PVP areas as explained below. Privateers can be hit hard, be maneuverable or be fast. They can't do all at the same time, however.

This is the second most popular class. Be this class if you want to be the linchpin of a group, setting up battles, but not being able to take a whole lot of damage or put out a lot of damage.

Free Trader - Buff Bot

Free Traders get cycling buffs that are great to have in a group. They also get a tax break and open-sea speed increases. They typically sail Merchant-class vessels which have large holds to carry junk around. They are fairly weak in one-on-one, but are always great to have in a group.

Do NOT be this class just because it's the least played. It can be very boring sitting at the back handing out buffs. Their buffs can be used on your self which makes it a great 1v1 class. Pick this class if the Economy side really interests you and you don't mind being extremely fragile at low levels.

PIRATE CLASSES

Cutthroat - Turny Spiny, steals ships

The cutthroat focuses on buffing itself, debuffing the enemy, and sailing upwind. They have some stealth and boarding trees, but mainly they are tacklers. They get access to a Xebec for a nice level 50 ship that lets them sail into the wind like no ones business.

Buccaneer - Smuggling buff bot

Buccaneer is a mixture of freetrader and naval officer. They have a good set of buffs for the group and debuffs. They also have the best tax reduction for cross nation trading. They get a few nice damaging shots as well.

SWASHBUCKLING:

Avatar combat is pretty god awful. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it. The basic mechanics are: you have guard, health and initiative. You have to wear down someone's guard before you can hit their health. Guard can recharge, slowly in combat, faster out of combat. You use initiative to do special attacks. This recharges at a moderate rate. Health is your health.

There are four different 'styles' of avatar combat:

Fencing -

Florentine -

Dirty Fighting - This is no longer the king style to go. More info later.

Brawling -

PVP:

After hitting the max level of 50, open-world PVP and Port Battles are the meat of the game, along with a little bit of economy which will be discussed below.

PVP can happen one of three (and a half) ways: Open world "red zones", Port Battles and Skirmishes. You can also run around with your pvp flag in enabled and fight whoever wants to click you.

Red zones (circles around ports) start when one faction generates enough unrest to cause international tension at a certain port. At this point a small red circle appears around the port and Pirates and Privateers of level 15+ may engage players of other nations. Naval Officers and Freetraders MAY NOT initiate combat in these zones but may be engaged.

If unrest continues to grow then the Pirate PVP circle will approximately double in size and the original circle is now a full on Nation PVP zone where any class of any nation may attack any other nation.

Further unrest causes a Port Battle to be scheduled. A Port Battle is where one faction tries to wrest control from the current owner through a 24v24 battle. Port Battles are scheduled from 7:00PM to 5:00AM GMT on Antigua. The winner of the Port Battle takes the Port. If the Pirates win then the Port enters a "Raided" state for 4 days. In order to be able to partake in a Port Battle, you have to be one of the top 24 unrest-contributors over the pre-Port Battle period.

Finally, you can do skirmishes which mean nothing, you get nothing from them, but you don't lose anything either.

IN GAME PVP

Sail mechanics

Check this list of ships to see the different sailing patterns. An example is the sloop.

Here is a ketch.

This is the world.

Each red circle is a pvp area. To create those, there needs to be unrest. Unrest is caused either subtlety through offering the people of the town luxury goods that they probably don't have access to, or more overtly, but attacking ships while in the area of that port.

You create a small light red circle by doing this. This area pirates can attack nationals and nationals can attack pirates. Privateers after level 15 can act like pirates.

Keep fighting, and the circle gets larger, and then a deeper circle appears. Here Nationals can also attack other Nationals.

This is a list that will show you where people are trying to fight and create an area, or where areas exist currently and the status of the fight. Once the fighting gets large enough, it creates a port battle. I am pretty sure that the people that create the most unrest there will be picked for the large fight to determine that ports fate. With port ownwership in the game, and the economy system, it matters who owns what ports.

Here is the overall war effort. After you win, you probably get stuff or something, but you win, so I guess that is cool.

And here is the skirmish menu. If you don't want to lose your ship then you want to do this. You can set up what ever fights you want, no down side.

ECONOMY:

The Economy in POTBS is totally player-driven. You want a ship? Buy one from someone who's made it. You want a certain fitting? Buy one from someone on the Auction House. Everyone can do the economy side; each account gets at least 2 'structure slots' (10 of you are a premium member, or more if you buy them (don't do this, pay for one month and get them for the rest of your life)). You can make Oak Blocks, mine Iron Ore, or weave hemp and smoke weed.

Obviously no one can make everything by themselves. That's where the Society comes in. We'll all work together as one big communist circle jerk and hopefully be able to hand out free ships and poo poo to each other at some point.

You gain no xp from crafting and it is done pretty similar to what you would do in the real world. One structure harvests oak logs so another can turn them into blocks, which when combined with some nails and other crap becomes a sail mast.

More on crafting.

Freetraders are needed for those advanced buildings, and they need to be level 30. The advanced buildings reduce the labour by 80%. This should be time if I am reading it right.

Anyone can build ships, but freetraders at 45 get a building that combines the forge, lumber mill, and textile mill in a single building. Downside you don't store as much time. Positive, you have a limit on how many slots you can have per account and this saves you two.

Freetraders can also build a master shipyard (large) that does the whole 80% labour thing.

Now as for the spanish, the best place we can get metal and limestone is at Sisal and Campeche New Spain on the tip of the yucatan peninsula. We don't have much iron as it is and the needed limestone is one town over.

If you want to build fittings to ships then this is the best place to get the iron and oak. This will let you build most of the fittings, a few other require fir or teak which is not there.

FREE-TO-PLAY AND CASH SHOP:

In order to get funny money (Burning Sea Points) for the game, you currently have to buy Burning Sea Notes via paypal. Low end is 1 note is 3 bucks and high end is 47 notes for 100 bucks. Each note is tradeable / able to be sold on the auction house to other players, and when you right click one it gives you 300 burning Sea Points.

As a free to play player, you have access to 2 ships in the dockyard and no storage.

If you ever want to upgrade a ship you must scuttle your least favorite ship and then use a deed to get it.

If you pay 300 Burning Sea Points you gain 1 additional dockyard space, and if you pay 600 Burning Sea Points you gain 3. The max is five in the dockyard.

To gain access to the 100 ship storage you will need 450 Burning Sea Points.

Free to play players also have their economy / building slots limited. They may have 3 total while able to spend 300 burning sea points for each additional slot, up to 7 more, or spend 2100 to gain access to all 10. This doesn't save you any more money.

You are also able to change your active nation, rename your society, your character, or transfer characters to another server.

More info on this to come, it looks like a world of tanks style cash shop.

Cash shop clothing ranges from 1000 burning sea points for tattoos to 240 for smaller accessories like hats. Also the female tattoo is really close to a tramp stamp. A lot of pipes to be sold in the cash shop.

Society warehouses are also in, but require 2000 burning sea points to build a single one. They are quite spacious. The society itself costs 450 burning sea points to create.

Pets are in, from birds, to pigs, to a pack of dogs. These run about 1000 points each. Iguanas and frogs are shoulder pets.

Writs and sheep deeds are also in the shop and are more moderately priced. The bermuda sloop is only 20 tokens, and the level 50 cutthroat Red Devil Xebec is 315. There seems to be something weird where everything is below 400 points execpt the Treason Pirate Flagship which is 3000 points.

LEVELING

The best way to level is to join up with Goons of all levels and go kill high level NPC's in the open sea. Commonly referred to as 'ratting' (this is terrible, don't do this), it's a great way to gain xp and also chill with Goons. This game is really god awful by yourself, so play with Goons.

RESOURCES:
Map with resources and PVP circles: http://potbs.armeagle.nl/map-antigua.php
Ship List: http://www.potbs-companion.net/shipyard/index.php

Special thanks to Prefect Six for letting me steal his old OP.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.
Hey XENA I LOVE YOU, I'm going to circle you lustfully in my xebec.

Xodi
May 20, 2004

Xodi is.. alien dinosaur? wtf?! (thanks OMG ITZ JAMES)
This is a terrible idea. I love terrible ideas. Let's do this thing again

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
This is one of the worst mmos I have ever played

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Lorem ipsum posted:

This is one of the worst mmos I have ever played

Same, but I'm going to play it anyway.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Gonna kill myself and leave this game playing in the background as a suicide note.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It looks like to form a society (guild) we need to pay them 6 bucks via pay pall to get 2 burning seas notes which is tradeable. This note gives 300 fun bucks in the game and that is how much a society costs. The society is 450 fun bucks.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 23, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So Reggin tipped me off that this is back. I am a terrible person that loves terrible games, so playing this again would interest me.

One question though, is it possible to get our old SOE era characters back?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No idea. I haven't seen anything about this from the devs, but the info from them is limited.

There are a few level 50s running around, so they either leveled fast (which is likely) or they got transferred.

Since everyone so far has been able to make new accounts with their old soe info, I doubt you can get your old characters back.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I kinda want to get back into this now that we're recruiting goons again, but I have a ton of bad memories. Port battles taking forever, port battles ending quickly because we got crushed immediately, feeling bad because I'm not PvPing enough, fretting over econ, calling for help to stop a flip and not getting it, ratting endlessly to try and find an ultra-rare to sell... The game is really good at its core, but so much of it was a pain in the rear end, too. I don't know if I still have what it takes to be a Don instead of a Don't :smith:

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 23, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Third World Reggin posted:

No idea. I haven't seen anything about this from the devs, but the info from them is limited.

There are a few level 50s running around, so they either leveled fast (which is likely) or they got transferred.

Since everyone so far has been able to make new accounts with their old soe info, I doubt you can get your old characters back.

The 50's are probably transferred characters. I remember that they were still doing transfers if you didn't get in on the official "transfer now or lose your character data forever" deal, but I didn't have the time to go through the process. Just wondering if they're still doing it.

No way i'm going to go through the grind again though. I played fairly often enough to build up a decent war chest of items and loot. It'd hurt too much to give up all the crazy poo poo I managed to steal/scavenge from various fights in the game world.

Anyways, for people considering trying this out or coming back, the game was actually pretty good in the months leading up to SOE dropping them. The pirate faction in particular was basically Goon Swarm from EVE. All they did was roll around the world, ganging up on lovely drama-whoring guilds, and (often drunkenly, in game and out) sacking ports and player/NPC ships while everyone cried about how unfair it was that they were being attacked. If you could follow the tide of player movement you could have some great fun.

Helped that the combat was way better than release too, which is where the game tanked badly back then when it came to population. They made the other fighting disciplines viable so you weren't gimped if you didn't pick up dirty fighting. Also, the inclusion of bare knuckle brawling as a fighting style was hilarious. The removal/enforced rarity of super-powered ships of the line also made it so that lower level players could fight decently against higher level players if they were in a group as well.

I remember there seemed to be a lot of open PVP and PVE end game content too. The pirate capital (and every city, in fact) had a ridiculous number of turn-in's for different types of loot. Which was gained from everything from boarding others ships to get it, to adventuring, to actual end game PVE instances for each faction.

Best part was people around the mid game levels (30) could get in on some of it if they were good enough at the game. Since a ship of the line tended to have crappy cannons, that meant that they could either fight (if they were good enough at sailing to stay out of the way of their guns), or play logistics and help scavenge ships after they were beaten.

Granted, all that may have changed since they went independent. But it was definitely fun back then.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 23, 2013

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The goons that are currently playing are mainly people who have played with me for awhile.

We are about to set up a society of some sort as Pirates. I am not saying you have to play pirates, but it is easy to get ships.

I have a rig / sail set up in mathew town right now, and we need someone to pony up 20 bucks to get a society warehouse, but that is down the line.

The guys who I play with are anywhere from 6 to 14 after 2 days of playing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Found some info buried on their (rather barebones) webpage. Here's how you get your character's from the SOE era of the game migrated if you want them back.

quote:

Hamled has finished the manual migration system! Everyone who submitted a request for a manual migration should have received an email with a link which will take them to a page where they can complete their migration. If you are still in need of migration, please send us an email with your old account name at customerservice [at] portalusgames.com. Note that only accounts that have characters on them from before the transition can be migrated.

With migration finished, we are now working on getting account creation working. As soon as we have an update we will post here.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 24, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm gonna be playing this, downloading it now.

Also holy crap this is back, I'm so excited.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am listening to the worst people pick a name for the society.

EDIT: Pink Ponces it is.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want to like this game. At one point I did (after the free to play transition), but it's still got some archaic MMO design rules lurking in the corners that really burned me. Still, I bothered to transfer my spaniard on transition day, and he's just sitting there, waiting for the day more pretty captain dressup clothes are added.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Dis game mane, dis game. Although I didn't find the swashbuckling to be as bad as OP made it out to be, he's right that the best part is the ship combat. I mean, wow, it's like you're really in the 17th century. Being in a big fleet battle is unlike anything else I've ever played. Do you know where we go to get tactics to beat rival nations? Wikipedia articles on Admiral Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar. It's insane, it felt so realistic. I might just come back...

EDIT:

We are about to set up a society of some sort as Pirates. I am not saying you have to play pirates, but it is easy to get ships.
It's been so long since I've played that I don't remember, but do you have to be a pirate to join the society? IIRC I am a Spaniard. I did the enforced transfer thing back when they emailed me but I haven't logged in to check since.

Zipline fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 24, 2013

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Zipline posted:

EDIT:

It's been so long since I've played that I don't remember, but do you have to be a pirate to join the society? IIRC I am a Spaniard. I did the enforced transfer thing back when they emailed me but I haven't logged in to check since.

Yep, only members of the same nation can join a society. According to their terms and services you might be able to get a nation transfer, the problem is none of us know how well they would handle pirates to other nations and vice versa thanks to pirates not using the same character classes.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Yep, only members of the same nation can join a society. According to their terms and services you might be able to get a nation transfer, the problem is none of us know how well they would handle pirates to other nations and vice versa thanks to pirates not using the same character classes.

They're pretty much entirely different, so short of them having some sort of automated service that just transfers inventory and the name/level of your character I don't see it really working. And all of that is not considering that pirates get unique items/ships (They can steal ships for instance.) that other nations can't get. Or that your industry buildings could be subject to new taxes, which I imagine would be a bit of a strain on players.

Also, apparently they're refusing to migrate my old account data. Which is kind of lovely and means I can't get my old characters and preorder/various other bonuses back. I'm kind of iffy on playing as a result. I wasn't even aware of the migration thing during the original transfer of services or i'd have done it.

If I played i'd probably miss my special parrot and the rat in a top hat that'd sit on my shoulder. I could deal with grinding up a new char and the loss of all of the customization options I unlocked over the years, but those two things are pretty much impossible to get now and were some of my favorite parts of my character. Makes me wish I had the chance to get in on the original character migrations. :(

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 24, 2013

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Thread title is exactly what it needs to be, there could be no other :allears:. Almost makes me want to sign back up, but being unable to migrate my account (based on what I heard from others) might be a dealbreaker since I originally shelled out the (cheaper back then) funbucks needed to have an upgraded account (Which, since I was one of the industry masochists, means I needed my extra production/building slots and extra ship slots to store my fleet of haulers.

Also two OP tweaks: Freetraders actually are really good in 1v1 stuff since they can stack all their buffs on themselves, and I think they tweaked/nerfed brawling so it is no longer the god-king of AvCom (But AvCom was poo poo anyway)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thanks. We just sorta stole the old one. I'll make those changes.

Sucks to hear you can't migrate any more but I understand why.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Sucks to hear you can't migrate any more but I understand why.
I don't. What's their reasoning? Archonex, what exactly did they tell you? I'm assuming you went to customer service, do you think they'd be open to wheedling? Maybe explaining more in-depth just how much money/time you gave them? It sounds like other people interested in playing this game are on the fence about it because they might not be able to transfer, so your answers could shift a lot of people one way or the other.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I imagine it is because the account data was all Sony's data and the datasources Sony provided were only available for short window. They probably didn't get a DB dump.

The transfer to Portalus was obviously a very last-minute "by the seat of our pants" sort of deal and I imagine it took a lot of bargaining just to get the short window they got.

Zipline posted:

I don't. What's their reasoning? Archonex, what exactly did they tell you? I'm assuming you went to customer service, do you think they'd be open to wheedling? Maybe explaining more in-depth just how much money/time you gave them?

People's money went to Sony, not to Portulus. Not directly. And if the game was unprofitable then a lot of the money the devs got wasn't even indirectly coming from players.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 25, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Zipline posted:

I don't. What's their reasoning? Archonex, what exactly did they tell you? I'm assuming you went to customer service, do you think they'd be open to wheedling? Maybe explaining more in-depth just how much money/time you gave them? It sounds like other people interested in playing this game are on the fence about it because they might not be able to transfer, so your answers could shift a lot of people one way or the other.

They didn't give me an exact reason. Just that they weren't offering them due to not being able to transfer anymore. Maybe someone else can get them to do it. If so i'd certainly go for whatever method they're offering.

For what it's worth, I replied to the CS rep with a notice saying that they never closed migrations according to their own news page. He insisted they don't do it anymore. Obviously he could be wrong though. For the manual migration system (Which from what I gather was different from the automatic one.), I never found a cutoff date for it. It just means that a CSR has to take the trouble of doing it themselves apparently. So maybe he was just lazy or misinformed.

That being said, the CSR's response seems off given how much business they'd be liable to lose from people coming back and discovering all of their character data is irreversibly gone. Heck, just the fact that the game had a fair number of "one time only" promo's means that they'd probably lose a lot of people.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 25, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You level pretty quickly. I sort of lazily tagged along with goon groups for a couple hours and I'm level 10 already. The more people that join the faster that will go.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
If you play as a Pirate, can you still trade stuff around? I ask because I liked the economy in this game (I think).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yes you can. Be a Buccaneer not a Cutthroat.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I got in with two pirates in treason ships just grabbing all the 8 fleets they can around cat island. Shot up 3 levels in about 5 battles.

Two treason ships can 3 volley any vessel in there.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So I did some digging around on their home page/blog, and it turns out that the CSR was definitely wrong. Going past the original notice of manual migrations being available, this was posted:

quote:

Pirates of the Burning Sea is out of drydock! The Test Server is currently online and available once you've patched with the new launcher.

Where can I download the new launcher?

The new launcher can be found here: https://www.burningsea.com/download

What should I do if I haven't migrated my accounts yet?

Please send us an email at customerservice@portalusgames.com and we'll try to get your accounts migrated. We will begin processing manual migrations as soon as we're sure everything is stable.

Where can I migrate my account if I already have a migration code?

We will be getting the website where you can complete your migration if you have a migration code up soon.

I don't have a PotBS account, where can I register one?

We don't have a way to register new accounts yet, but we'll have one soon.

I've found a problem, what should I do?

First, please check and see if it has been listed as a known issue on the forums, here: http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97250. If the problem isn't listed there, please send us an email (customerservice@portalusgames.com) describing the issue.

What fabulous gifts await us upon our return to the seas?

We will be giving returning players 500 Burning Sea Points to say thanks for sticking with us during the transition. We'll have more details about this soon.

This was on February 13, 2013. Which was over a month after the cutoff date for migrating. And I see no indication that they ever cut off manually done migrations after that point. So i'm assuming you can still migrate. It'd be insane for them to have dumped their entire account database during the changeover. Or just incompetent. The amount of business they'd lose from fickle players would be staggering.

If someone has some luck with it be sure to post here.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 25, 2013

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There is a good chance they don't have a DB they got for migration. Sony may have just sent them at request.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Oh man, I didn't realize this game was back. This was the first MMO community I actually was active in, so it holds a special place in my heart (even though I was always terrible at it). Gonna download to try and recapture some of the glory days.

EDIT: Didn't see any character names posted in this thread. Can I get a society invite? Name's Pryce Lanellyn.

Pryce fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 25, 2013

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I just checked and I do have a Spaniard, level 29, on Antigua. Also a freetrader but he's like 15. I guess I'll just have to settle for hunting the goon menace instead of joining it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So the macro commands for this game are weird.

/addtotoolbar 0 /diceallloot

This will put a macro on the ship combat bar to dice all. Ctrl + left click on it to make it auto cast.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 26, 2013

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Well i fired up my old character, Roberto Fancington, a level 28 Spanish Naval Officer. I wish i could switch him to pirate and join the goon society.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

If we get enough people back we will have a Spanish society as well. Just cause of our old one.

But someone has to pony over 20 bucks.

The Spanish as a whole are underpopulated right now.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I've been tinkering around on my Spaniard (Emiliano Dez, HMU yo) and it seems like there's really only one powerful Spanish clan, Los Tiburones de Vera Cruz, and unless we got a ton more goons involved it probably wouldn't be worth the effort or money to get our own going. It might be easier to set up a Teamspeak or Ventrillo server and just communicate that way.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Zipline posted:

I've been tinkering around on my Spaniard (Emiliano Dez, HMU yo) and it seems like there's really only one powerful Spanish clan, Los Tiburones de Vera Cruz, and unless we got a ton more goons involved it probably wouldn't be worth the effort or money to get our own going. It might be easier to set up a Teamspeak or Ventrillo server and just communicate that way.

With Portalus taking over control of the game, are the old rules still in place for "Don't work with other nations to throw port battles or we'll ban you"? A massive Spanish-Pirate alliance run by Goons would be kind of awesome.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
So I really desperately want to like this so much and have tried it a few times in the past, sometimes with goons and sometimes without, but I missed its hayday (did it even have a hayday?), and always gave up since it felt like a ghost town and getting a group who would even talk to me let alone play with me seemed almost impossible. Has this relaunch bought enough people back, or got enough new people joining that I might have fun now?

P.S. I am a filthy euro, although I seem to remember geting reasonable pings to the U.S. servers, it only exacerbated the whole lonelyness thing.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

So,we going to make a go at this game ?

Sounds like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Right now it is just a few of us on the pirate side.

For you pay to win kinda people, you got a plexing kinda deal where you buy burning sea notes and sell them to players, or you strait up buy boats if you want to.

They are dirt cheap until you get to the top tier. You either pay 3000 fun bucks for a treason third rate or 2000 fun bucks for a terror second rate writ.

You still have to build extra stuff to use writs. Writs are just another item you gotta exchange.

Low tier boats are 400 or less fun bucks, and at the worst ratio it is 300 fun bucks is 3 USD.

So mostly an ok system.

Once you hit 50 it seems you earn enough money doing boring pve stuff to outright buy these more expensive ships from other players using doubloons. The major issue is that some items needed for the crafting are either rare drops or come out of the cash shop chests. The keys and chests drop from high level npcs, but the keys are much more rare.

One man said he spent 100 bucks on getting a second rate built just in keys alone. These ships are really only good for port battles and not so much for ganking.

edit: just got my xebec clowned up

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 28, 2013

• Locked thread