Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, someone's LPing this? Awesome. I love Discworld, though I haven't followed it in a while :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tiggum posted:

I played it for many years (although most of that time I was basically treating it as an IRC channel). Last time I was there the community was pretty insular (and shrinking) but the actual game is still pretty impressive. There's just a billion things to find and do (even if it's basically a hack-and-slash at its heart).

I never quite figured out what I was meant to be doing in the Discworld MUD.
Besides hoarding all the items and getting overburdened (and sweating!) and praying to Pishe a lot.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Eric Idle played Rincewind in the first one? drat. I watched that one on Youtube and I wish I had this knowledge then to better appreciate the voice acting. I guess it's worth mentioning that I watched that LP on the channel of a user named Kikoskia, whose computer can apparently run all games (starting with Pong, probably), so if this game's engine is the same as the first one's, maybe it's worth enquiring about his recording setup?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Veloxyll posted:

I never quite figured out what I was meant to be doing in the Discworld MUD.
Besides hoarding all the items and getting overburdened (and sweating!) and praying to Pishe a lot.

It's basically just a Dungeons & Dragons inspired hack-and-slash game with a bunch of other, mostly unrelated stuff bolted on. You can do a whole lot of stuff, like get involved in the player politics, run shops, craft things, etc. but the central game system is to get experience points by going out and killing a bunch of dudes, and then you spend that XP on skills that let you kill bigger, tougher dudes to get even more XP and selling the loot to get better equipment for more efficient killing of dudes.

Priests are more of a support class in that they get a bunch of healing and defence abilities, and it can be a bit confusing starting off because it seems like you can't really do much on your own, but the secret is that everyone needs to get their combat skills up and you can go over the limits imposed by your guild, you just have to spend more XP and learn the skills from other players rather than from the guild.

Because the game's been built up over the years with more and more stuff just built on top of what was already there, it all basically rests on this core of "kill dudes, get XP" and once you realise that it's a lot easier to figure out how to advance. You'll find people who've put ridiculous amounts of time and effort into figuring out the optimum stats, skills and equipment and will tell you that you need to do this or that to maximise your XP or whatever, but if you're treating it as a bit of casual fun and not serious business then it doesn't really make much difference.

DirtyPatty
May 30, 2011
I actually got into the Discworld series from renting the first Discworld adventure game. Never made it too far, it was hard and I was young. But I thought it was pretty funny so when I saw Small Gods at a bookstore I picked it up and then and now I still say it is one of the best books I ever read. I have got the whole series now except for the newest and I love them all.

I never knew this game existed though and I am totally excited to read this LP.

I played the mud for a couple years. It's pretty crazy some of the things you can do with just text, but I wouldn't recommend it. A lot of the humour is there but it looses something when you just hack and slash mobs for hours.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bacter posted:

So, just to be clear:

At this point, talking about if Vimes would be justified at being angry at Lewton (but not, say Nobby) is cool. But let's leave off discussion of what he's GOING to do, yeah?

It's too close to spoiler country for my tastes!

I hadn't played the game and the reviews hadn't been spoiler, just noting there's some criticism in that direction, though I suspect those reviews might be full of dung.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Robindaybird posted:

I hadn't played the game and the reviews hadn't been spoiler, just noting there's some criticism in that direction, though I suspect those reviews might be full of dung.

I edited out my earlier spoiler but I don't think it's a spoiler to say: It's not Lewton deflecting. Vimes is definitely suffering from a serious case of not being Vimes, and I'll re-elaborate when Bacter gets there.

Back on the subject of things we're allowed to talk about, there's definitely a twisted sort of logic to firing Lewton and not Nobby. In the books, Fred and Nobby are Vimes' ear on the ground, sort of a barometer of what's on the mind of the man on the street, and Nobby knows most of what needs knowing about the more benign corners of the city's criminal element. In short (very short, this being Nobby), he brings to the table something only Cecil Wormsborough St. John Nobbs can, and it's well worth turning a blind eye to his wide assortment of exceptionally petty crime to have that available to him, and he's reliable, in his own way. I'm willing to bet Lewton was an unremarkable copper, so aside from rubbing Vimes' code of ethics the wrong way by taking a bribe, he proved that he, unlike Nobby, wasn't reliable, and he didn't have any special qualities that made it worthwhile to keep him around anyway. Now just kinda ask yourself what's the best thing to do about an employee who can't be relied upon to do their job and offends your moral sensibilities.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Booktalk again: You can absolutely just start from the first book and read them in the order they came out and have no troubles whatsoever, goons love to sperg about every possible thing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pwnstar posted:

Booktalk again: You can absolutely just start from the first book and read them in the order they came out and have no troubles whatsoever, goons love to sperg about every possible thing.

This is true and the most important thing to know about Discworld books.

tis sad to learn Future-Vimes doesn't quite match his usual characterisation

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Veloxyll posted:

This is true and the most important thing to know about Discworld books.

tis sad to learn Future-Vimes doesn't quite match his usual characterisation

To be fair, Future-Vimes gave us The Night Watch so all is forgiven.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Alright, my droogs. Decision time.

BEHOLD! THE NEXT CHAPTER.

In VLP format. Thanks to some tech support advice from Mzbundifund, I've added about 10 new cards to the house of cards I use to record discworld noir, BUT this means I can now capture audio and video.

Which means I can make this a VLP! Or not.

VLP ADVANTAGES
--------------
The voice acting is superb
You'll get updates faster, because this is much faster to do
Despite the character models creeping me out, the game is very pretty, and seeing the rain fall really helps it

SSLP ADVANTAGES
----------------
You don't have to watch a video
???

SO: If it was up to me, I'd make this a VLP starting now. Unless there's a big outcry! If that's the case, I can go back to SSLP.

Also, please note that I'd like input on where we go next, Octarine Parrot or Cafe Ankh. VOTE ON BOTH, SUCKERS! FOR THE WATCH!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'd be happy to watch the video, I think the voice and animation would help quite a lot. Maybe show off interesting item descriptions and non-essential interactions as screenshots, to keep the video length down.

And the Octarine Parrot

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I'm all for a VLP, myself! I like commentary, for example.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I don't mind the VLP, but I do hope you're going to edit out the myriad "gently caress if I know" answers, those are going to get old really fast for us viewers. 'S'matter of fact that's kind of why I gave up on the game...

And Lewton pronounces "troll" funny. I forgot about that.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Dr. Buttass posted:

I edited out my earlier spoiler but I don't think it's a spoiler to say: It's not Lewton deflecting. Vimes is definitely suffering from a serious case of not being Vimes, and I'll re-elaborate when Bacter gets there.

I know nothing about this game, but there is some basis for Vimes going spare about bribery if you recall Vimes' conversation with his younger self on the hurryup wagon in Night Watch.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Octarine Parrot.

A VLP sounds good, but for the love of small gods please edit for pacing. This will become horribly clear when we meet a particular character later on, who makes you sit through a pointless canned cutscene every single time you try to speak to him. :argh:

Dr. Buttass posted:

And Lewton pronounces "troll" funny. I forgot about that.
I've pronounced it that way for as long as I can remember. That may well be due to how Lewton pronounces it here though :ohdear:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's see the new location first. Octarine Parrot.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, in terms of editing for pacing, my general strategy is going to be to play ahead, note what things a person knows about (probably not only plot essential things, but everything they can shed some light on), and only ask about those.

I specifically asked Nobby about almost everything to show how useless he was.

Also, does anybody know what accent Lewton is going for? "Troll" is "Trawl", and "questions" are "quest-ee-uns"

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Bacter posted:

Also, does anybody know what accent Lewton is going for? "Troll" is "Trawl", and "questions" are "quest-ee-uns"
Presumably a cross between Welsh and hard-boiled Yank detective (Rob Brydon, as UK goons will know, is Very Welsh). Discworld has a Wales equivalent (Llamedos) but nothing implicitly American (Holy Wood?), although Ankh-Morpork qualifies in many respects. 'Lewton' sounds a bit Welsh so I assume the slipped accent is deliberate, or at least legitimately part of the character.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Since I'm deaf, I'll always be voting for a SSLP, but I might stick around if you decide to go the VLP route as long as the gameplay is fully subtitled (which I'm pretty sure it is). It will be a shame to miss out on the commentary though - half my enjoyment of LPs comes from the player's reaction to it all.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'll find some way to include it in subtitles or also include my reactions elsewhere or something - I feel strongly that deafness be no barrier to enjoying this LP!

Also, I'm now obsessing over this accent coach on YouTube - his welsh accent video was a gateway drug!

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I personally prefer SSLP with videos only for special moments, especially as so far it's looked like this may be a little dark and hard to follow visually at times? It's much faster to catch up and process with just reading.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
What year did this come out? It looks surprisingly good for what I had thought was a mid-90s game, but maybe it was later than that?

I read a lot of the Discworld books growing up, though not in order and not exhaustively. I probably got through 20 of them. Used to love them but I wouldn't have read one in ten years.

Anyway, this game seems surprisingly well-written. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given Pratchett's involvement, but you can probably count on one hand the number of 90s adventure games with good writing/dialogue that weren't made by Lucasarts.

I'm interesting to see where this goes - if you want some advice Bacter, I'd appreciate it if you continue to summarise from time to time what is happening and why. One of the issues with the SSLP format is that lengthy dialogue sequences can push the meat of the game apart and it is easy to forget what we're doing next and why. That said, I definitely prefer adventure games to be covered as SSLPs rather than VLPs, so I'm glad you're sticking with that :unsmith:

Bacter posted:

And, as I've mentioned before, for good villains I don't think you can do much better than Hogfather or Small Gods.

Oh man, I absolutely loved Hogfather when I read it as a teenager :3: Definitely my favourite of all the Discworld books I read.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I prefer things as VLPs, even when a sane person wouldn't, but I wouldn't mind if you kept it as a SSLP.

I don't remember if I bought this game for my brother, or if it's maybe the last game he ever bought for himself (it was the PS version, either way), but we unfortunately didn't really get far in it. I think. Can't wait to see what we've missed.

As for the books, I've read a lot of them. To keep things short, my favourite book is Small Gods, favourite series is the City Watch, and my least favourite book is Monstrous Regiment (only Discworld book I tried but couldn't read a second time).

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 27, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Presumably a cross between Welsh and hard-boiled Yank detective (Rob Brydon, as UK goons will know, is Very Welsh). Discworld has a Wales equivalent (Llamedos) but nothing implicitly American (Holy Wood?), although Ankh-Morpork qualifies in many respects. 'Lewton' sounds a bit Welsh so I assume the slipped accent is deliberate, or at least legitimately part of the character.

The more I hear it the more it just sounds like a quite deep and gruff welsh accent, I'd it's part of the character.
(Also Rob Brydon is so very good at voices. :swoon:)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gegi posted:

I personally prefer SSLP with videos only for special moments, especially as so far it's looked like this may be a little dark and hard to follow visually at times? It's much faster to catch up and process with just reading.

I agree with this. I probably won't bother watching a VLP, whereas I'll keep up with a SSLP.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
This game has so much talking that it'd be pretty insane to not do it VLP. The screenshot part was pretty much unclear what anything even looked like that i'd probably be better off reading the script than this lets play if it was done pure screenshot.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

cmndstab posted:

What year did this come out? It looks surprisingly good for what I had thought was a mid-90s game, but maybe it was later than that?
It came out in 1999, although I don't know how long it spent in development. It's worth remembering that Grim Fandango came out the previous year, another 2.5D adventure game with impressive visuals.

Edit: It's easy to forget how much better adventure games looked than action titles back in the day!

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 27, 2013

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Cafe Ankh. We've got a lead people, we can't let menacing trolls force us down the path of meaningless subplots alternative leads which will inevitably tie into the main plot.

For LP talk... I generally prefer SSLPs though I spend plenty of time with both. However for this particular game I think a VLP might work better, mainly because of the voiceacting (for some reason a lot of the tindeck links seemed to cut out midway through for me).

I played the demo of this back in the day but never the full game and I guess I'd consider myself a light Discworld fan so I'll definitely keep up with this one.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bacter posted:

Yeah, in terms of editing for pacing, my general strategy is going to be to play ahead, note what things a person knows about (probably not only plot essential things, but everything they can shed some light on), and only ask about those.

You need to talk about everything to Malaclypse, not matter how inconsequential you think it is. He provides some amazing insights!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh, don't worry.

I'll just be filtering out the generic nothing responses. "No idea who that is" for instance. Mooncalf gets asked EVERYTHING.

Maybe in a bonus video. That WOULD bog down things a lot. Hm.

ANYWAY, my laddy lads, this is what's gonna go down, after reviewing things.

1) I'm going to keep making videos as the main LP, regardless, BUT

2) If I can find a text dump of the script, I'll release an SSLP as well. Screenshots take no time to get, so the only thing I have against the SSLP is the time it takes to transcribe stuff - updates easily go 5 times faster with videos.

BUT

3) I'll have subtitles of both the game and my reactions in the videos, to make sure everybody can experience them.

Oh, and I figure I'll get the ball rolling, as far as noir references go:

Al-Khali is pretty clearly Peter Lorre, based on voice and appearance.
BONUS: In The Maltese Falcon, Peter Lorre plays a guy named Cairo, who is obviously named after the city of. Al-Khali is a desert city in Discworld.

The Tsortese Falchion is a play off of the Maltese Falcon

Lewton might be named after Val Lewton, who made a series of horror/noir films.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 27, 2013

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

cmndstab posted:

I'm interesting to see where this goes - if you want some advice Bacter, I'd appreciate it if you continue to summarise from time to time what is happening and why. One of the issues with the SSLP format is that lengthy dialogue sequences can push the meat of the game apart and it is easy to forget what we're doing next and why. That said, I definitely prefer adventure games to be covered as SSLPs rather than VLPs, so I'm glad you're sticking with that :unsmith:

That's a great idea - I'll probably give a little summary of what's gone down before future updates.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

FeyerbrandX posted:

I still need to finish Snuff, but I know I liked it better than Unseen Academicals. And I thought that I stopped paying attention long enough for Raising Taxes Steam to be out already, I'm glad to hear that it has. I shall pick it up soon.

I didn't care for Unseen Academicals that much, but I mostly put it down to the fact that it was centered around football/soccer, which is not a sport that particularly interests me. It still had some good moments, which I enjoyed upon reading it again. Snuff I just didn't really care for at all, and it will be awhile before I can give it a second read to see if it improves any with age.

Tiggum posted:

It's basically just a Dungeons & Dragons inspired hack-and-slash game with a bunch of other, mostly unrelated stuff bolted on. You can do a whole lot of stuff, like get involved in the player politics, run shops, craft things, etc. but the central game system is to get experience points by going out and killing a bunch of dudes, and then you spend that XP on skills that let you kill bigger, tougher dudes to get even more XP and selling the loot to get better equipment for more efficient killing of dudes.

I've been "playing" on Discworld MUD for years, and this is basically true. They have gone out of their way to add other ways to get xp; jobs, command use xp, quests, achievements, even just being online grants a small amount of xp, but ultimately the fastest way to advance is to smash things with a weapon.

The game itself is massive and still slowly growing, though the playerbase itself is shrinking. I still find it fun to explore the place, smash monsters, etc but really the best way to play is to be casual and not get stressed out about the best way to do things, or worry about the fact that due to the open ended nature of skills there is no sane way to catch up with some of the older players (which is why I avoid pvp at all costs).

Bacter posted:

Alright, my droogs. Decision time.

SO: If it was up to me, I'd make this a VLP starting now. Unless there's a big outcry! If that's the case, I can go back to SSLP.

Also, please note that I'd like input on where we go next, Octarine Parrot or Cafe Ankh. VOTE ON BOTH, SUCKERS! FOR THE WATCH!

Definitely a fan of the VLP format myself. Also, I vote you head to the Cafe Ankh next.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm chewing through Unseen Academicals now. While it's definitely not his AAA game, it's at least A - I could care less about "the footy", but the characters are pretty interesting, and Andy is a decent enough villain.

I also finished snuff last week, and thought more or less the same about it. A fine adventure, not SUPER memorable, but solid enough. The "villains" of both just seem to be forgettable psychopaths, which kind of seems like Pratchett's go-to when he doesn't have a more in-depth villain in mind.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Bacter posted:

3) I'll have subtitles of both the game and my reactions in the videos, to make sure everybody can experience them.

You are the bestest. :3:

I'm aware, however, that it's actually pretty hard to add accurate subtitling to a video, so the simplest way might be to let the game subtitles speak for themselves and transcribe your spoken stuff directly to the thread. See what you think though. If it gets too much, don't worry about it. I don't want to be responsible for the death of a LP.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bacter posted:

I'm chewing through Unseen Academicals now. While it's definitely not his AAA game, it's at least A - I could care less about "the footy", but the characters are pretty interesting, and Andy is a decent enough villain.

It gets a lot better near the end, so hand in there!

Snuff was ok-ish, but I got the idea that the sociopath villain wasn't really needed. It probably would have worked better without a single focus and if Vimes could just rage against the local elite.

SecretCheeseSauce
Oct 4, 2013
Voting for Cafe Ankh, as the chance for more singing vampire shouldn't be passed up.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Snuff to me just felt like Pratchett threw together a lot of ideas together and they didn't always really mesh well within the story. The books that I like the best out of the Discworld series tend to have strong unifying themes that tie the narrative together as a whole (e.g, Hogfather, Night Watch), and Snuff, apart from the blindingly obvious "racism is bad" message, felt a lot more muddled. The pacing was also really weird where the big climax happened before the end of the action of the story as a whole and the rest of it just felt like padding.

Oh, I'll be looking forward to more frequent updates with this game. It does a good job in getting you hooked into the mystery and the characters right off the bat and I'm eager for more.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

SWMadness posted:

Snuff to me just felt like Pratchett threw together a lot of ideas together and they didn't always really mesh well within the story. The books that I like the best out of the Discworld series tend to have strong unifying themes that tie the narrative together as a whole (e.g, Hogfather, Night Watch), and Snuff, apart from the blindingly obvious "racism is bad" message, felt a lot more muddled. The pacing was also really weird where the big climax happened before the end of the action of the story as a whole and the rest of it just felt like padding.

That's a really good way to put it. Unseen Academicals kind of had the same problem. I spent so much time not really sure where he was going with some of the stuff he was throwing around and it really kind of took me out of the book. Talkative Willikins was sort of jarring too.

Oh, lets hit up the Octarine Parrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright, finished adding captions to the first video.

Let me know if they look good, Maugrim and anybody else who likes CCs!

• Locked thread