Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wizards see gods about the same way most people see chairs- they exist, and you can generally expect to find one when you need it- but there's no reason to go around encouraging or worshipping them or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bacter posted:

I didn't get the impression that any Discworld wizards or wizzards were particularly religious

By some quirk of the universe Mustrum Ridcully's brother is high priest of Blind Io.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And priests and wizards aren't exactly on the... friendliest of terms.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

And priests and wizards aren't exactly on the... friendliest of terms.

No one is on friendly terms with wizards, not even fellow wizards.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

No one is on friendly terms with wizards, not even fellow wizards.
You mean, especially not fellow wizards. They can get on each others nerves at opposite corners of a big field.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Poil posted:

You mean, especially not fellow wizards. They can get on each others nerves at opposite corners of a big field.
A wizard in view is a wizard who's getting in the way.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Doing the recording soon - does anybody remember if I picked up some bandages? And talked to Nobby about them? If I don't get the answer soon we MIGHT see some repeated content nooooooo

Edit: Awesome, thanks!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 12, 2014

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Bacter posted:

Doing the recording soon - does anybody remember if I picked up some bandages? And talked to Nobby about them? If I don't get the answer soon we MIGHT see some repeated content nooooooo

I don't think we've seen this happen.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It's a little longer, this one, but there wasn't a good breakpoint between where the last chapter left off and where this one does.

Brace yourselves, goons, the veils are being lifted!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Bacter posted:

We're pooched!

You don't say. :stare:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, it's good to know that everything turned out peachy.

Also, never summon anything bigger than your head.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, at least this isn't unprescedented, taking Moving Pictures into account, anyway.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yes, called it! On both Therma and Anu-anu being a dog god! Go discworld detective!
Erm.
Anyway, the plot seems to be going into overdrive, but some references: I already talked about how the fate Mr Hong is the standard case in the books for not summoning supernatural horrors, now it kind of makes me want to check when that joke appeared first. I definitely remember it being in Jingo, which I think came out after the game - either way, it's a nice reference. Especially since it's the book that covers the Leshp issue... Hmm...
Also, as much as I dig the whole discshakespeare angle, they kind of undersell it: Hwel was capable of way more terrifying stuff, among other things he invented the Marx brothers.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Well, it's good to know that everything turned out peachy.

Also, never summon anything bigger than your head.

Yeah the problem with that is people who would even think of summoning these things invariably have big heads. If you're going to go nuclear and summon a world-ender, you REALLY need to do your homework.

Also, further congrats are due the thread, and anilE in particular, for top-notch detectivism! Asking the actor about Carlotta was yet another thing I hadn't done until this play through, and his answer should have more or less cleared up any doubts about Thermas identity. That said, I don't know if theres a way to make Lewton piece it together before Carlotta tells you. It would be neat to be the all-knowing detective, but then it IS supposed to be a big reveal.

So the plan is to replicate Small Gods, and have Anu Anu save the day in front of a bunch of people, propelling him to the upper echelons of diety. Come to think of it, this is basically Small Gods mashed up with Guards! Guards!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bacter posted:

Asking the actor about Carlotta was yet another thing I hadn't done until this play through, and his answer should have more or less cleared up any doubts about Thermas identity.
There's a fairly big hint if you've read Farewell, My Lovely, because it's pretty obvious that Malachite and Therma are based on Moose Malloy and Velma, and since all trolls are made of grey stone in this there's only one way that Malachite would be able to instantly tell that a pile of rubble definitely wasn't Therma. I don't think Lewton can work it out ahead of time though.

Bacter posted:

Come to think of it, this is basically Small Gods mashed up with Guards! Guards!
Which makes Nobby's not believing that a cult might be trying to destroy the city kind of odd, since he's already seen exactly that happen once before. And that's not even counting whatever he might have pieced together about the events of Moving Pictures - he's not actually as dumb as he seems, he just tends to keep his thoughts to himself.

And in case anyone missed it, the eight great tragedies were:
  • The Happy Prince of Copperhaven (Hamlet)
  • Antilogy and Cleph-ptah-re (Antony and Cleopatra)
  • Kensington (Macbeth)
  • The King of Ankh
  • The Leering King (King Lear)
  • The Tyrant (Julius Caesar)
  • Trochilus and Cresylic (Troilus and Cressida)
  • Titus Diplodicus (Titus Andronicus)
I'm not sure which play The King of Ankh corresponds to. One of the ones about a king, I guess. Titus Diplodicus is my favourite of the parody titles, probably just because "diplodicus" is an inherently funny word.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, the bunch from Guards! isn't a cult, it's a secret society. IIRC they were very careful about not drawing the attention of any god.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, the plot seems to be going into overdrive, but some references: I already talked about how the fate Mr Hong is the standard case in the books for not summoning supernatural horrors, now it kind of makes me want to check when that joke appeared first. I definitely remember it being in Jingo, which I think came out after the game - either way, it's a nice reference. Especially since it's the book that covers the Leshp issue... Hmm...

The first reference I've found from flipping through my books and Google is Men At Arms.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, according to wiki Men at Arms came out in 1993 so it's not based on this game. Oh well.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
I seem to remember Mr Hong being mentioned in one of the Rincewind / Wizards books as well, but I couldn't say which one. The story is definitely older than the game, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Erm. I already talked about how the fate Mr Hong is the standard case in the books for not summoning supernatural horrors,

And for not naming your restaurant after the Lady.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, the full deal with Mr. Hong seems to be that he built a fish shop on the exact site of an ancient temple to a fish god (the kind FISH pray to, not the kind people pray to), on some absurd combination of sacred days - solstices and midwinters and etc., and the things that happened to him are.... difficult to describe for sheer awfulness.

This would presumably leave the abandoned fish shop full of wiggly occult energy, perfect for stuff like this.

So this section is a whole hunk of plot, and there are hits and misses, no doubt there, but I do want to go on record as saying that the whole group meeting in the ToSG to pray, thus empowering their "assassin", is one of the cooler ways to combine motive and method.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Unrelated to all the other stuff going down, but I assume Death admiring the 'you dirty rat' line is a reference to the fact that that was supposedly the line James Cagney was most famous for, despite him never saying it in any film.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bacter posted:

So the plan is to replicate Small Gods, and have Anu Anu save the day in front of a bunch of people, propelling him to the upper echelons of diety. Come to think of it, this is basically Small Gods mashed up with Guards! Guards!

I really did like that part of Small Gods, but I think that part of what made it work was that it was just such an absurd way to have things happen that it couldn't have been anything other than faith. Giant jackalman with a golden sword fighting a monstrous horror? Yeah, that's about what they do.

Anu Anu was just going to kill the Laddering Horror and eat the resulting power crunch.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I caught up on this just in time to see the second time an eldritch horror has been summoned into Ankh-Morpork.

This game is great :allears:

Makes you wonder what the Patrician thinks of this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Probably doesn't think anything, knows everything, and is plotting with Vimes to make Lewton solve the whole thing.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

anilEhilated posted:

Probably doesn't think anything, knows everything, and is plotting with Vimes to make Lewton solve the whole thing.

More like plotting to make Vimes make Lewton solve the whole thing. Vimes doesn't willingly go along with the Patrician's schemes, Vetinari just knows what buttons to push to make Vimes do what he wants under his own free will. :v:

Granted, Vimes has wised up to this somewhat over the course of the series, but not enough to avoid it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I might have missed it, but why were the actual murders based on the murders in the plays?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
According to Lewton, there were similiarities.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

I caught up on this just in time to see the second time an eldritch horror has been summoned into Ankh-Morpork.

The second time? In the first books this happened on a pretty regular basis (Bel-Shamharoth for example is in all likelihood still in his temple).

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 17, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

I might have missed it, but why were the actual murders based on the murders in the plays?

Because the plays were (unknowingly) about the first Octogram of Murders that summoned the Laddering Horror, as Lewton found in the summoning area when he plotted them on the map of the circle sea.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On another note, does anyone know why Nylonathatep is called the Laddering Horror? Is that a British phrase for runs in stockings that's just completely opaque to Americans, like my grandmother's first time being offered a napkin (diaper in England) in an American restaurant?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

On another note, does anyone know why Nylonathatep is called the Laddering Horror? Is that a British phrase for runs in stockings that's just completely opaque to Americans, like my grandmother's first time being offered a napkin (diaper in England) in an American restaurant?

Well, as far as I can figure, it's a kind of play on the original alternate title and a rather obscure joke.

Nyarlathotep, the original Lovecraftian outer god Nylonathatep is based on, is also known as The Crawling Chaos. Obvious framework.

Laddering is an investment technique based around investing in financial products and the gradual freeing up of the assets bound up in these. Laddering also describes a process where, in order to buy something (like stocks) at a low price initially, you have to agree to pay for more of it at a higher price later. Take your pick.

Now, Nylonathatep's 'Godly' powers is... making stockings and tights disappear and unravel in its presence. Every cry of "But I only bought this pair yesterday! or "I don't believe it! That's the third pair this week!" or "That was my last pair! Now what do I wear to this job interview/promotion board/big date?" are as prayers to it.

So. The Laddering Horror = "That feel when your stock(ing)s disappear overnight". :downsrim:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Bruceski posted:

Laddering is indeed a phrase meaning runs in your stockings yes. Also what kind of restaurant did your grandmother go to where they use the term diaper? It's not a phrase I've ever heard used napkins are just napkins and I've never heard them called anything else. :britain:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Laddering is indeed a phrase meaning runs in your stockings yes. Also what kind of restaurant did your grandmother go to where they use the term diaper? It's not a phrase I've ever heard used napkins are just napkins and I've never heard them called anything else. :britain:

It was when Grandmum first immigrated to America, and apparently her generation in England called diapers napkins. I wasn't born at the time so I only know it through stories.

E: I may be saying it wrong, but what she was asked at the restaurant was "ma'am, do you need a napkin?" Figured things out rather quickly, she was a smart girl, but there was the initial shock as the brain tried to catch up.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ugh. UGH. Yet another thing I didn't get until just now. "laddering", in addition to being that investment thing, is also just another word for runs in stockings, since when they bunch up and get those little holes all in a row it looks like a ladder. PRATCHETT! :argh:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Next ep. Is recorded and up soon - happy hogswatch, all!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
HO HO ERM... HO WAS IT?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

HO HO ERM... HO WAS IT?

COWER, BRIEF MORTALS

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I am attempting a new Let's Play: "Let's Play Make a Buche de Noel".

Update 1, the only update, is to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hogswatch level:

Buche de noel.

Happy Hogswatch to all!

• Locked thread