Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

And to all a good night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
To all a good night INDEED!

So here's your hogswatch present, goons. THE END OF ALL THINGS (that are this LP). The last chapter goes fast, but not so fast that I didn't break it up into two parts. Enjoy! (Also, this is the first chapter I didn't name after a famous or influential noir film - did you catch the rest?)

So: let's discuss! What did you think of the ending? Plot? Good/bad points? All spoiler warnings are off at this point. Anybody call the final twist?

Also - this has been an absolute blast to do. This is probably up there with Colonel's Bequest as my favorite LP'd game so far. And I realized something. I realized that I like murder mysteries with fun environments, and I like noir. I even like werewolves. With that in mind, as far as future LP's go, first, I plan to start another soon.

And second, well, you know what they say, stick to what you know.. See you soon, goons. And thanks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Death really comes into his own in those final scenes. I'm not a huge fan of Satrap - being a character we saw literally once - having such a huge part, but his post-mortem dialogue was pretty drat great.
I love Lewton's expression upon meeting the zombie.
I also love how it all comes back to the beginning myth about BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED.
Nobby's got arguably the best arresting spiel I've ever heard.
Not sure what the final twist was supposed to be, Carlotta in league with Horst was something we've seen coming.

Great LP of a great game, really looking forward to Wolf Among Us.

edit: VVV Oh. I guess that did come a bit unexpectedly, cults summoning eldritch horrors tend to screw up sufficiently on their own. Still, that was pretty seamlessly integrated.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 25, 2014

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Great!

Oh the last twist comes early in the videos, it's the existence of the Dark Sect.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for this great LP and the effort you put in, Bacter. Happy Hogswatch!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Great LP, Bacter! I'd been itching to experience this game again, but the difficulties in getting the game running has prevented me to for quite a while. Your efforts in showing it off to us are truly appreciated.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Thanks a lot for doing this, Bacter!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It was absolutely my pleasure - thanks for staying with it!

Also, I submit that Mooncalf's death scene is the best in the game, perhaps the best death scene of any game. I can't think of one I like more at the moment, anyway!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

One interesting bit of trivia: When Satrap is on his little rant about the scroll, he pretty much directly channels Davros, creator of the Daleks.

Thanks for LPing this, Bacter. This game is pretty freaking amazing. Merry Hogswatch, one and all!

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Mooncalf's death scene was great, and Death has been really good in this episode, too.

Thanks for the LP, Bacter. This has been my favorite ongoing LP for a while, so I'm a bit sad to see it end, honestly :shobon:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Will the Nightlong lp continue?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

At this point, I'm not sure anything could stop it.

You know, since The Wolf Among Us is, uh, PRETTY SIMILAR in tone, I might see about getting a thread name change, deep-sixing the DWN LP to second post, and continuing on. Is that annoying, helpful, or who cares shut up?

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 25, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Great LP, Bacter! I love to relive this game, it's my favourite adventure game. Everything pulls together in a satisfying way, and you can actually really see how Lewton grew into finally respecting himself enough to respect anyone else.

I second Mooncalf's death as one of the best. It's the scene I remember best from this game. Followed by some great Death dialogue.

The cult nesting twist was probably an unnecessary plot contrivance. The Anu-Anu worshippers could have failed just as easily without anyone sabotaging them. The death cult didn't even give them the summoning idea. It does, however, allow the game to flesh out the characters in the inner sanctum. They had a choice between creating a bunch of characters just for act 4 or contriving to have a load of existing characters be secretly in the cult. More than three would have felt like a contrivance in my opinion, not to mention opening up too many leads to pursue them.
So in the end I think it was a good idea even if it didn't contribute to the events of the plot much at all.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So, alright: discussion.

Is Errata real? If so, what did she do?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bacter posted:

Is that annoying, helpful, or who cares shut up?
Depends. Isn't that game based on a comic book series or something? You might piss off fans of that by lumping it with Discworld and (probably more offensively) Nightlong. I honestly don't mind either way.

Errata is definitely real, metaphors don't stay metaphors for long on the Disc. There is an interesting connection between her and Nylonathatep that isn't really explored or touched in the game - why would her sword, a tool of petty godly spite, work as anathema to the Laddering Horror?
Maybe the story was... misunderstood? Of course, that would make Lewton the Disc's greatest warrior or something.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 25, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Terrible art direction - wonderful game. Thanks for LPing it, Bacter!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah it feels like there are a few huge gaps in things - like the order guarding the sword only seem tenuously related to Errata.

Good game though.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Discworld Noir's LP was amazing. The material from the game itself was great, but Bacter also offered good commentary on it too. It all worked really nicely. Thanks for making such a great LP, Bacter!

Lewton's voice acting was superb. The cast did wonderful work in general, but if Lewton's voice hadn't been quite as good as he was then the game would have suffered from it. I think I would give second place for best character's voice acting to Nobby. He just sounded so shifty.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I greatly enjoyed this LP, and I recommend that you make a new thread for your next LP.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, that's the direction I'm gonna go I think.

Incidentally, the list of Real Noir titles was:

1: Satan Met a Lady
2: The Docks of New York
3. Dangerous Female (Aka The Maltese Falcon)
4: The Asphalt Jungle
5: Angels with Dirty Faces
6: Little Caesar
7: Night Court
8: The Beast of the City
9: To the Ends of the Earth
10: You only live once
11: Man in the dark
12: Murder is my beat
13: Kiss the blood off my hands
14: The Shadow on the window
15: 5 Against the House

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Thanks for a great LP Bacter. This was the first time I've ever heard of discworld, and I loved it. Thanks for introducing me to such a fun and interesting world.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

Van Dine posted:

Lewton's voice acting was superb. The cast did wonderful work in general, but if Lewton's voice hadn't been quite as good as he was then the game would have suffered from it. I think I would give second place for best character's voice acting to Nobby. He just sounded so shifty.
I'm pretty sure they were both Rob Brydon, as well as about seven other characters.

Which says even more, really - that a cast far smaller than the amount of characters was mostly able to be diverse enough to cover them all.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, for whatever reason the only really obvious match was Satrap and Clark's Gable

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I expected Mooncalf's final words to be "All Gods are Bastards"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
*if they existed.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also, even if Satrap was crazy, there were 2 good reasons for not using magic against Lewton.

1 - It takes a lot of time and prep to do really useful spells (working around the conservation of energy and counteracting leverage and all that).
2 - The Horrible Things of the Dungeon Dimension really love magic. Nylonepotep would home right in on that.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I only just realised this, but Lewton and Satrap's speech is pretty much directly cribbed from this piece of British sci-fi history.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
One of the things that they handwaved to make the game more comprehensible to players new to the Discworld was all the discussion about gods and belief. Basically the whole discussion about 'people give gods belief which is their power, and gods get their shape from what their followers believe' is true, but it isn't common knowledge at all. Basically the only ones who know that kind of detail is high-up priests, philosophers, and the gods themselves who don't want that kind of information getting out. That's one of the bits that really stuck out to me that was lifted heavily from the books, in specific 'Small Gods'.

Which, by the way, is my favorite Discworld novel bar none.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh, incidentally, I've been informed by Mzbundifund that "Big Wiggly" is in fact a Noir title, and a reference to "The Big Sleep".

Pretty careless of me to miss that, but my subconsciousness holds its cards pretty close. Thank GOODNESS.

fullTimeLurker posted:

Thanks for a great LP Bacter. This was the first time I've ever heard of discworld, and I loved it. Thanks for introducing me to such a fun and interesting world.

To me, this is success. Thanks!

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for the great LP and for reminding me how fantastic the Discworld universe is!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I feel like the plot really falls apart at the end here. It sort of goes from noir to some kind of attempt at horror and doesn't work at all. And I would have liked Mooncalf's death a lot more if it weren't just an expanded version of a joke I'd already read in one of the books. I do like the way Lewton ended up dealing with Carlotta and Ilsa, although Horst's death is rather anticlimactic. So it's a pretty mixed bag.

Over all it's still a great game, but I feel like it's like a lot of games in that the ending is a let-down. I'd have liked it a lot better if they'd stuck with noir the whole way through and not brought Nylonathotep into it at all.

Van Dine posted:

I'd have to disagree. Jasper Horst was clearly the best voiced-character, and Carlotta was pretty good too (not that Lewton and Nobby weren't). I do find a lot of the voices fairly annoying though, and some of them are very, very similar to each other because of the small pool of actors.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I will agree with Mooncalf. Faith didn't really have any good consequences here.

But then that's kind of the point, isn't it? You don't really get anything for Faith, except not smote. Om was kind of a big deal because he actually stopped a giant war on behalf of his believers, when the rest of the gods were just content to have their turn at the wargame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011
Bit late, but thanks for doing this - I tracked down a copy after the second update and played through it myself and only remembered this LP much later.

In any case, I managed to get it running on Windows 7 32-bit by creating CD clones to be mounted on Daemon Tools and the like. To my surprise the installation went without a hitch, and to my even bigger surprise I got through the title and intro sequence no problem, where in it crashed as soon as I gain control of Lewton. Hmm.

Someone on the internet suggested alt+enter to go to windowed mode, and it worked! Once the cursor appears, you can alt+enter to go back to full screen (the color distortion and resolution makes the game unplayable in windowed mode). However, the game will still crash if you attempt to select anything other than New Game on the title screen, so if you want to load a previous save, go through the whole intro scene again in New Game, after which you can enter the Load menu. This will quickly be annoying once you reach disc 2, as you need to reinsert disc 1 every time you choose New Game. But you can play through the whole game with no crashes otherwise, so I'd say it's worth it.

• Locked thread