Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Tiggum posted:

I'd actually recommend not starting at the beginning. I feel that the series doesn't really hit its stride until about book eight (Guards! Guards!). The earlier books are still enjoyable, the style just shifts a bit as the series progresses. For people who've never read any of them before I recommend starting with Going Postal (actually the 33rd book) because I think it's one of the best ones and really shows off a lot of what Discworld is about.

I'd recommend anyone who wants to keeps things in chronological order to start with Guards! Guards!, as that's a great spot from which to see Ankh-Morpork slowly evolve and develop, along with it's characters. Of course, you could start just about anywhere, but Vimes is so much better when you've kept up with his arc.

I'm kinda of suprised that I'd never heard of this game before - I knew there were a few older discworld adventure games, but hadn't heard of this one. I'm also a big Noir fan, have just been gorging myself on Raymond Chandler, hoping to chime in if I catch any references.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Verbose posted:

The bit with Therma is a shout out to Farewell My Lovelly, another Raymond Chandler novel,

Fixed that for you. Also, the bit about him not selling his manner is another reference to Chandler, it's from one of the Marlowe Novels, but I'm not certain which. I think it's the Big Sleep.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 22, 2013

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I've been on a pretty big noir kick lately, but for me, movies and visual media are just....I don't know. Lacking, I guess. When I imagine noir, it's wrought with excessive, overly verbose borderline unnecessary but awesome narration of it's characters and environments, but the older movies just don't have that.

So, the most satisfying noir thingy I've found was the BBC's radio interpretations of Chandler's works - the voices are note for note perfect, they absolutely nailed it. I'd recommend them to anyone, here's a sample from some of the voice actors -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Dj4tB3CuQ

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 23, 2013

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Bacter posted:

I've acquired the BBC recording of The Big Sleep. This is now happening. These voices are INCREDIBLE.

Yessss. There's like 7 or 8 of them total, so you won't run out any time soon. Blows my mind how well some british actors can do an american accent.

• Locked thread