Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bacter posted:

Alright, what is Discworld Noir?

Discworld Noir is the third of three Discworld-based adventure games, the first two being imaginatively titled Discworld and Discworld II. All three were developed by Perfect Entertainment, but while the first two follow Rincewind the magician in plots that borrow from a series of Discworld novels and are frequently (and slightly unfavorably) compared to Simon the Sorcerer, the third uses an original character, in an original storyline, and stands by itself to a much greater degree.

It's far and away my favorite of the trilogy.

Excuse me, but I believe you will find that Rincewind is in fact a wizzard (it's written on his pointy hat) :colbert:.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to this. I played the first 2 games a lot, and was always sad that I couldn't track this game down back when it was current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bacter posted:

I should mention that getting this thing to run on a modern computer is like living in a living nightmare.

In order to record video, I've currently installed FRAPS on a virtual machine emulating my old copy of Windows XP, and using file sharing to... well, it's a house of cards is what I'm saying. Also, fraps blows up every time a new audio or voice track is switched. It's good times! If anybody is interested, I can share exactly how I got it working.

I haven't owned a computer that could rung Discworld 2 since sometime in the late 90s, and I've never wanted to jump through all the hoops it's going to take to get it running on a modern machine. That's also the reason I've never gotten to play Discworld Noir, so I am glad you managed to get it running.

sullat posted:

What's wrong with the first books? The first two are pretty good, even if they fall into the classic ”young(ish) wizzard saves the world” genre.

The problem with the first 2 books is that they are very much parodies of other (older) fantasy works, and while they are still entertaining they aren't quite what I'd start someone on who was new to the series. I'm also not a huge fan of Equal Rites either, so I'd probably start them on Mort if I was dead set on giving them something from the beginning of the series.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

Raising Steam came out recently and stars Lipwig too. I haven't finished it yet but it's a great read so far.

Lots of fond memories of Discworld Noir, so I look forward to reliving it through this thread.

I am slightly irritated to learn that Raising Steam is already out, and I don't own it. I guess I had just gotten used to the US releases being fairly close to the UK releases, but screw waiting until March to read more about Lipwig. I just hope I'll like it more than I did Snuff.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

FeyerbrandX posted:

I still need to finish Snuff, but I know I liked it better than Unseen Academicals. And I thought that I stopped paying attention long enough for Raising Taxes Steam to be out already, I'm glad to hear that it has. I shall pick it up soon.

I didn't care for Unseen Academicals that much, but I mostly put it down to the fact that it was centered around football/soccer, which is not a sport that particularly interests me. It still had some good moments, which I enjoyed upon reading it again. Snuff I just didn't really care for at all, and it will be awhile before I can give it a second read to see if it improves any with age.

Tiggum posted:

It's basically just a Dungeons & Dragons inspired hack-and-slash game with a bunch of other, mostly unrelated stuff bolted on. You can do a whole lot of stuff, like get involved in the player politics, run shops, craft things, etc. but the central game system is to get experience points by going out and killing a bunch of dudes, and then you spend that XP on skills that let you kill bigger, tougher dudes to get even more XP and selling the loot to get better equipment for more efficient killing of dudes.

I've been "playing" on Discworld MUD for years, and this is basically true. They have gone out of their way to add other ways to get xp; jobs, command use xp, quests, achievements, even just being online grants a small amount of xp, but ultimately the fastest way to advance is to smash things with a weapon.

The game itself is massive and still slowly growing, though the playerbase itself is shrinking. I still find it fun to explore the place, smash monsters, etc but really the best way to play is to be casual and not get stressed out about the best way to do things, or worry about the fact that due to the open ended nature of skills there is no sane way to catch up with some of the older players (which is why I avoid pvp at all costs).

Bacter posted:

Alright, my droogs. Decision time.

SO: If it was up to me, I'd make this a VLP starting now. Unless there's a big outcry! If that's the case, I can go back to SSLP.

Also, please note that I'd like input on where we go next, Octarine Parrot or Cafe Ankh. VOTE ON BOTH, SUCKERS! FOR THE WATCH!

Definitely a fan of the VLP format myself. Also, I vote you head to the Cafe Ankh next.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bacter posted:

In Discworld news, I just finished Unseen Academicals[/b], and I feel exactly about Andy how I did about the psycho guy in Snuff. It seems like "dangerous violent bully psychopath" is sort of the go-to villain when the story doesn't need one, and whatever.

I don't follow sports, but I did really like his description of the shove. Struck a cord. I like most all of his recent stuff though, so who knows.

Any reviews on Raising Steam?

Also guys: SPECIAL GUEST next episode!

I just finished reading Raising Steam. It definitely seemed a bit unpolished to me, but I liked it much better than Snuff or [i]Unseen Academicals
. The moral lessons continue to be fairly heavy-handed and unsubtle though, but again I didn't feel like they were as bad as in Snuff.

The other thing that really started to grate on me was the way it seemed like Pratchett was going out of his way to reference as many as his older books as he could. I'm not sure why it bothered me, it just seemed kind of out of place.

On the whole though, it was an enjoyable read. Certainly not his best work, but definitely better than some of his more recent releases.

• Locked thread