Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I loved this game when I was young, before I even heard about the Terry Pratchett books. It's only been a few years since I actually read all the books and then replayed the game, it's still amazing!

The voice acting is so good, too. The only thing I hate about the game is Rhodan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Anoia posted:

Happily, the great Adventure Game revival has hit the Discworld games as well. Word is they'll be making games based on the Tiffany Aching series, which means tons of psychotic blue Smurfs wee free men.

They're not smurfs, they're pictsies!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It's also worth mentioning that there are TV adaptations of Wyrd Sisters, Soul Music, Going Postal, Hogfather and The Colour of Magic. My favourites of those are Wyrd Sisters and Going Postal, and the only one I didn't care for at all was The Colour of Magic. David Jason as Rincewind is just not something I can get behind at all.

I actually like the Colour of Magic TV adaptation, because it combines the 2 first books into something you can easily follow without having to reread them. I really liked the books when I started, but they have very little coherence. The Going Postal adaptation left out too much of the book for my tastes :(

Which is why I really love Discworld Noir, really. It is not an adaptation of a book, so they are free to do whatever. And boy, did they do a lot of whatever. I'm not sure which character I love more. Probably Mooncalf.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bacter posted:

Yeah, in terms of editing for pacing, my general strategy is going to be to play ahead, note what things a person knows about (probably not only plot essential things, but everything they can shed some light on), and only ask about those.

You need to talk about everything to Malaclypse, not matter how inconsequential you think it is. He provides some amazing insights!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bacter posted:

I'm chewing through Unseen Academicals now. While it's definitely not his AAA game, it's at least A - I could care less about "the footy", but the characters are pretty interesting, and Andy is a decent enough villain.

It gets a lot better near the end, so hand in there!

Snuff was ok-ish, but I got the idea that the sociopath villain wasn't really needed. It probably would have worked better without a single focus and if Vimes could just rage against the local elite.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

He could introduce Lewton now thanks to Thief of Time, though. I'm a bit surprised Terry hasn't really done a genuine out-of-place alternate dimension character. It was hinted at once in Jingo! with the DisOrganizer, but it would have been fun to read, I think. But sadly I think with his illness that it'd be too hard for him now :(

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Do remember that the gods are very, very prone to play boardgames with people as actual pawns, so if one of them has a hot streak rolling sixes (or whatever they roll), one man can do anything. (until the barbarians try to blow them up)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bacter posted:

This is absolutely true, but what are you referring to in particular?

Anything that happens in the game that should have happened differently if you go by the 'normal' rules of Discworld from the books, really.

This is the kind of game where plotholes can be fixed by saying: A wizard did it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

As for Elves...

This is still the best one:

Lords and Ladies posted:

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Serperoth posted:

The problem with Discworld is value. I just finish the books too fast, there's something about Pratchett's writing that compels me. :v:

Took me about a year to read all of them in order, just reading a dozen or so pages before bed (and then binging the last 100 or so for each book). Then I read them a second time.

Dunno yet when I'm going to start the third read-through, though.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

If Vimes really suspected Lewton, he'd have had him arrested on the charge of "Disturbing the Peace".

You could also consider this to be the very early Vimes who's only recently stopped drinking and isn't at the top of his game yet.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

Yeah the watch has moved to Pseudopolis Yard at this point and Vimes is married so that suggests it's post men at arms at this point. On the other hand there is no mention of Vimes's err social rank so I suggest it's probably before feet of clay/jingo timeline wise. Also the watch is still pretty small at this point from the feel of things which argues against it being too late in time line.

Whenever I play the game I get the feeling that the Watch in this game is a bit of a mix of the books, consisting of just Nobby, Colon and Vimes but in Pseudopolis Yard, with no mention at all of Carrot.

This game probably takes place in an alternative universe version of Discworld, due to quantum.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

Also with regards to trolls its not mentioned much in the books but it's implied that the general mechanics of it are about the same as humans. You take a mummy troll and a daddy troll and then they make the bed rock (BOO! HISS!) and nine months later you have a baby troll.

Shouldn't the baby be unborn 9 months before mom and dad troll unrock the bed? They (are supposed to) perceive time backwards, after all.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

One of the other character backgrounds? Guerilla Mime/Renegade Street Actor.

Anyone who is a renegade in a guild-regulated profession is going to have to be a bad rear end fighter to survive long enough to earn money to live on.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

The other half is that the Fools Guild may or may not be a massive spy operation, with its fingers in courts throughout the continent.

Honk honk.

Does this mean King Verence is spying on himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

TehGherkin posted:

Anyone know the mystic sigils and sacrifices required to get this running on a modern system, by any chance? I've tried scryers, farseers and withinlookmen, not a thing.

I've ran it on Windows 7 using the CDs and a no-CD crack to get it started.

• Locked thread