Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
This is a great game set in a great setting, with a great story and some great acting. I was so sad when my old cds stopped working and refused to install it, as I usually pulled it out to re-play every now and again. Thank you for setting this up, Bacter! I'll be following this thread with relish.

Also, to anyone who hasn't yet read any Discworld books, I highly encourage you to give them a shot. Most of the books are standalone pieces, some have a sort of continuity, but nothing that really prevents you from picking up a later book and getting into the spirit of the thing.

Anoia posted:

Happily, the great Adventure Game revival has hit the Discworld games as well. Word is they'll be making games based on the Tiffany Aching series, which means tons of psychotic blue Smurfs wee free men.

This makes me inordinately happy. Where did you hear/read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Okasvi posted:

It's been a really long time since I last read anything Discworld, but I think my favorite was the Science of Discworld. It was fun reading about the wizards trying to figure out our universe and physics and the accompanying chapters of real science were also fascinating.

Great news for you then! There's three more Science of Discworld books by now. Incidentally, I really love some of the concepts they throw around in the science segments, like 'Lies-For-Children', which is the lies you tell a child so that it can understand something well enough to later learn how that something -really- works. Or, in some cases, move on to 'Lies-For-Adults', the grown-up variant.

Tiggum posted:

I'm about half way through and pretty underwhelmed so far. The last four (Unseen Academicals, I Shall Wear Midnight, Snuff and Raising Steam) haven't really done much for me. I kind of wish he'd just leave the Discworld setting alone at this point, because both Nation and Dodger were really good.

It's the other way around with me, I found all four of those pretty great while Nation and Dodger didn't do too much for me. It has to do with expectations, I suspect. I mean, Pratchett's Alzheimer's has undoubtably affected his writing style, but I think he has a better feel for the Discworld books, plus you're pretty invested in the setting by the time you get to them. They're not his greatest works, mind you, but that's age for you.

Although, I have warmed up to Dodger a bit after doing a round of wiki-ing on the historical figures involved in it.

... when is that update coming, bacter? I need something to keep my inner :spergin: in check here.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
God, I love this game so. It's been too long since I played it. Can't wait for the next update, Bacter! :allears:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Chalk another one up for not thinking the writing for the Overlord series being bad. There are even signs of it improving. The twist near the end of Overlord 2 caught me so completely off guard that I still laugh at my own dumbfounded reaction.

And that butler truly is the sassiest. Keep 'em episodes coming, Bacter! I'm fairly sure he has some more lines later on!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Since we're doing recommendations: For sci-fi noir-ish stuff full of quirky humour, one should definitely not miss the old video game Anachronox.

e: It's actually dead cheap on sale on Good Old Games right now. Steam also has it, but no sale.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 22, 2013

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

Anachronox was funny, but I never really thought of it as Noir. Well I see where that angle comes from but the complete package didn't feel like Noir, I guess because the silly characters overshadowed it.

I also remember it being extremely buggy too.

Certainly. Hence me calling it 'noir-ish'.

True enough about the bugs; I bought the original game, and it took me several tries to get to the end due to various errors, but it was always interesting enough for me to return to, and eventually I wised up and looked around for patches. Surprise, there's some that solve almost all the game's problems. Even today I occasionally pick it out from the ye olde game closet.

And hey, if you don't feel like trying the game, there's always the movie spliced together from the game's cutscenes. Yes, that's over two hours of cutscenes.

Anacronox, though buggy, certainly gave you bang for your bu(g)cks.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, that was quite something.

:golfclap:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bacter posted:

There's a pretty extensive comic book / PnP games store around here, I've REALLY got to get out and see if they've got discworld GURPS. It sounds AMAZING.

It is. It certainly is. Part of its chamr is that it has plenty of footnotes and new (and old) illustrations by Paul Kidby included. Which may owe to the fact that Pratchett himself had a guiding hand in its writing and is credited as a co-author, along with Phil Masters. In fact... there's an interesting tidbit that comes up in the introduction part.

About the Authors posted:

Terry Pratchett, it turns out, wrote his first RPG scenario when Phil Masters was still running around the playground. It had a toilet in it. It also had an intelligent box called The Luggage, which walked around on legs. Some ten years later, when he had the idea of writing a fantasy novel that'd be an antidote to too many bad fantasy books, he remembered it...

Good luck on getting hold of it outside of PDFs and the like, I had to work hard to find my copy. There's also a second GURPS supplement that I never managed to snag called 'Discworld Also', although a local library once owned it, so I did get to read it a few times before that copy mysteriously vanished (and I cursed myself for not mysteriously vanishing it myself).

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

I'm kind of amazed that Lewton somehow managed to get hired by someone and the person who broke into her house at the same time. I suppose this is just the narrative congealing around him, as it tends to.

That's a drat nice noir way of putting it, actually. Would make for an awesome line for a genre-savvy Disctective.

I knew I was on the right track when I could feel the native narrativium begin to congeal into a thick mushy soup. Much like the River Ankh going down the Sto Plains towards the Big Wahooney, the closer I got to the mansion, the thicker it filled the atmosphere. I could see it everywhere; streets darkening, shutters closing, a foul wind blowing*, the pedestrians adopting a meaner and (impressively, for Ankh-Morpork) less well-disposed outlook. Not to mention my inner-silence-to-inner-monologue ratio increasing precipitously. Again. Dammit.

If I wasn't careful from here on I would be throwing myself in front of any assassin's crossbow bolt to save distressed damsel of the hour or beating the snot out of thugs and thieves for token 'leads'... and in Ankh-Morpork, neither was very good for my prospects. Mostly because a) I didn't want to get on the bad side of the Assassin's Guild and b) the Thieves' Guild would wreck anyone messing with their wage workers' health and safety in-sewer-ants rates. They might not kill me, but getting sued probably wouldn't help pay the rent.

Days like this, I felt like a Fool, living my life by the same tired tricks passed down through centuries of trite tradition. Re-playing the same old role over and over, ad nauseum. The thought made me pause in my tracks... sick of it? I -was- getting sick of this story, it was of a meaner brand than normal, but work was work. You might hate it, but if it brought bread to the table, you suffered the labour and went about your business like any hard-working jaded soul. So why was I getting all bothered and distracted?

Then it hit me like a runaway cart; lost in my inner monologue I had been hurrying headlong down a street taking me into the midst of the Shades, a shortcut that could literally cut my life short. With the gloomy atmosphere already setting in everywhere else, I'd hardly noticed the change of scenery that brought me into what Ankh Morpork, city of thieves, cutthroats (and a Cut-Me-Own-Throat), liars and lawyers would call 'the colourful' part of town. It was not a place any moderately sane citizen willingly found themselves, especially not this close to nighttime.

"Pull the other one, you bastard story, it's got bells on it," I said, and began to beat a hasty retreat, although with how thick the narrativium had gathered around me, the sheer act of turning around felt like I was wading through treacle. Why became clear when further down the alley I could hear the commotion of several men spilling forth from a side street and someone with a rough ragged voice say "drat, he's seen us. After him!" This wasn't a bad thing all told, as my legs suddenly realized they weren't Fool enough to stick around for the act, taking the rest of me with them in a refreshingly sane display of common sense and terror.

Sometimes even narrative convenience can be told to go suck it, though I absolutely had to end this case soon... before it built up enough steam to end me.

*Granted, any breeze would be a foul wind in Ankh-Morpork, but this was definitely More So.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 21, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fables, amazingly, is one of the few comics my in-her-late-sixties mother has fallen head over heels for. If she bothered with videogames, I bet she'd have loved The Wolf Among Us too, so I'm tempted to try and run her through when I visit her next.

And you just take time off for Transistor, Bactor. I would have launched myself at it already, but I want to have the time to run through it in one go, which won't happen until sometime this weekend.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
See, guys? Lewton could totally sense narrative causality closing in on him and wisely ran away from both it and the thing that got him into that mess.

Shame his pursuer was not as interested in the sword as it was in him, and that he, she or it was quite a bit faster and stronger.

So, if you've never played this game before, who or what do you think killed Lewton? There's quite a number of suspects at this point if you consider how many enemies he's made in the last few nights.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 28, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'll say that that was indeed the golden sword Lewton got run through with. He dropped it like a hot potato (or accidentally, when climbing something) earlier in the chase and it got picked up by the pursuer.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In case someone didn't know or realize, 'Hughie's Octal System of Indexing' is a pretty clear homage to Dewey, for whom an actual decimal classification system is named! :eng101:

I've actually worked with an old DDC card index system (which was, at the time, being phased out), and 'rows of cards in wooden boxes' sums it up pretty well. Trying to use one to relocate and reclassify books after two library location changes, at least four classification system revisions and years of neglect, on the other hand... well, let's just say I had a lot of work to do emptying out all those boxes. Those things need to be meticulously maintained, or else you're going to end up with a system full of useless cards that sends you searching in vain for books that may or may not exist somewhere in the library's vast collection.

And that's not even counting having to double-check all the 'See also;' cross-references and the odd duplicate card thrown in for good measure. While it was something of an experience digging through the guts of old collections of books, and fascinating to see how they did classification back in the day, I'm so glad we have computers to keep track of data these days.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

On another note, does anyone know why Nylonathatep is called the Laddering Horror? Is that a British phrase for runs in stockings that's just completely opaque to Americans, like my grandmother's first time being offered a napkin (diaper in England) in an American restaurant?

Well, as far as I can figure, it's a kind of play on the original alternate title and a rather obscure joke.

Nyarlathotep, the original Lovecraftian outer god Nylonathatep is based on, is also known as The Crawling Chaos. Obvious framework.

Laddering is an investment technique based around investing in financial products and the gradual freeing up of the assets bound up in these. Laddering also describes a process where, in order to buy something (like stocks) at a low price initially, you have to agree to pay for more of it at a higher price later. Take your pick.

Now, Nylonathatep's 'Godly' powers is... making stockings and tights disappear and unravel in its presence. Every cry of "But I only bought this pair yesterday! or "I don't believe it! That's the third pair this week!" or "That was my last pair! Now what do I wear to this job interview/promotion board/big date?" are as prayers to it.

So. The Laddering Horror = "That feel when your stock(ing)s disappear overnight". :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Great LP, Bacter! I'd been itching to experience this game again, but the difficulties in getting the game running has prevented me to for quite a while. Your efforts in showing it off to us are truly appreciated.

• Locked thread