Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

toasterwarrior posted:

Anime sociopaths from a world governed by the laws of Unreal Engine 3. the horror

To be fair the same world produced the Nac Mac Feegle a bunch of drunken kleptomaniac smurf wannabes who were kicked out of fairyland for being drunk at 3pm on an afternoon leading a noble but doomed revolt against the queen of the elves.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Poil posted:

Iron and Magrat.

Don't forget Greebo.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Bacter posted:

Nah, that can't be. We know from dialogue with Nobby that Vimes is married and nobility by this point.

Yeah the watch has moved to Pseudopolis Yard at this point and Vimes is married so that suggests it's post men at arms at this point. On the other hand there is no mention of Vimes's err social rank so I suggest it's probably before feet of clay/jingo timeline wise. Also the watch is still pretty small at this point from the feel of things which argues against it being too late in time line.

Also Re: The discussion of Troll females Troll women have always been out and proud. It's stated that most troll women though are more or less indistinguishable from troll men (for humans at least) but apparently they tend to go in for more "cosmetics" than troll men (things like bird crap and lichen are mentioned). Also due to the peculiar nature of troll society a certain number of troll women have made a living as female strippers Robers who put on more clothes as time goes on. Its stated as an aside in one of the books that a troll rober once caused a riot by putting on seven coats at once.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Temple of Small Gods We need to meet the best character in the game.

Also with regards to trolls its not mentioned much in the books but it's implied that the general mechanics of it are about the same as humans. You take a mummy troll and a daddy troll and then they make the bed rock (BOO! HISS!) and nine months later you have a baby troll.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Malaclypse :swoon:

edit and the red fish ^^^ is obviously a Red Herring the perfect symbol for the goddess of misunderstandings.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 5, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

anilEhilated posted:

I love how the door of Patrician's office has the crest of Ankh-Morpork on it. For those who didn't notice, it's two hippos and an owl. Great attention to detail there.

Anyway, I'm still trying to piece together when this happens in the DW timeline and am thoroughly puzzled by the fact that Dead Man's Pointy Shoes is still around, since if I remember correctly Ridcully put an end to that pretty early on in the series. I'm probably taking the timeline just a tad too seriously.

On a side note, the game is usually pretty good about it but the low amount of voice actors really shows here - this video only has at least three people voiced by Nobby.

Blame the history monks. But the short version for anyone who is interested is that after the Sourcery incident, Dead mens pointy shoes no longer applies in Ankh Morpork because as part of the fallout from that they appointed Ridcully the Brown Archchancellor. Now Ridcully had been out of the university for thirty years and was the one senior wizard who genuinely had nothing to do with the whole incident. What the Wizards thought they were getting was an amiable old duffer who wandered the forests and talked the animals who could be bumped off after a few months and normal service could be resumed. What they got was a man who did talk to the animals but he mostly said things like "winged you, you bastard!" and did a lot for endangered species "he made sure they stayed endangered for a start." He also had a habit of sleeping with a loaded crossbow under his pillow and jumping out behind would be assassins and beating them to death with his wizards staff. This made him effectively unkillable and ended the tradition of promotion by murder.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Btw Necrotelinomicon is literally translated as the Telephone book of the dead and is also another Lovecraft reference. It was written by Achmed the Mad I just get these Headaches. Who erm went mad got his headaches because he wrote an earlier and eviller book Achmed's book of Humorous Cat Stories the writing of which drove him insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Bruceski posted:

On another note, does anyone know why Nylonathatep is called the Laddering Horror? Is that a British phrase for runs in stockings that's just completely opaque to Americans, like my grandmother's first time being offered a napkin (diaper in England) in an American restaurant?

Laddering is indeed a phrase meaning runs in your stockings yes. Also what kind of restaurant did your grandmother go to where they use the term diaper? It's not a phrase I've ever heard used napkins are just napkins and I've never heard them called anything else. :britain:

• Locked thread